Be Natural

Risk of Incorrect Rejection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s 11:11 in the morning and Taeyeon scurried her way out of the hospital. She is eleven minutes late to their agreed time. She cursed under her breath as it makes her feel uneasy to keep Tiffany from waiting. Taeyeon knows that her best friend must be already here for more than eleven minutes knowing that she’s always early.

As she has arrived at the park just right outside the hospital, Taeyeon immediately saw her sitting on a bench, her back leaning on the bench’s support and her eyes closed. She thought that Tiffany’s either enjoying the nature or just killing her time until Taeyeon arrives. Taeyeon slowed down as she walks her way to her, taking every second to consume her existence.

She takes a few more steps until she get there in front of her. Tiffany opened her eyes as she felt her best friend’s shadow covering the sunlight from her face. Taeyeon smiled and said, “I’m sorry. Yuri didn’t wake me up earlier. Did I keep you waiting?”

Tiffany sits properly and denied as she said, “Ani. I just got here. Have you already eaten your brunch?”

Taeyeon shakes my head in response then she stood up and said, “Let’s eat first, then.”

Tiffany and Taeyeon walked silently until they’ve reached her car. She threw Taeyeon the key and clambered to the seat next to the driver’s seat without saying a word. She wants her drive.

‘Is she tired or something? She usually volunteers to drive.’ Taeyeon sighed and entered the car. She fastened her seatbelt and started the car’s engine.

Tiffany’s too quiet right now so Taeyeon initiated a topic, “Ah. Seulgi sent me a message yesterday. She’ll be performing in a musical showcase. Do you want to come with me?”

Tiffany made a low laugh and smiled, “It seems like I’m in demand nowadays.”

‘In demand?’ Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and asked, “Wae?”

“Irene asked me to go her with there too. Her best friend’s performing too.”

“Then let’s go altogether.” Taeyeon proclaimed, and she looked at her with those faltering eyes. “What?”

“Nichkhun also invited me to watch the same showcase.”  She blurted out.

“What did you tell him? Did you agree?” The words carelessly slipped out from .

Taeyeon thinks that Tiffany might probably be thinking that she’s overreacting again, so she continued speaking before she could, “Good for you. Finally, someone has the guts to ask you out.”

Taeyeon gripped the steering wheel tightly and started driving.

-

After Seulgi and Wendy’s ballad performance of ‘Don’t Push Me’, Irene felt the sudden urge to go somewhere. She excused herself from her seniors and went backstage. The moment she arrived at the backstage, she saw Wendy and waved her hand to notice her. Her friend gave her a wide smile as soon as she sees her presence.

“Irene unnie!” Wendy approached her and gave her a short hug. “How was our performance?”

“It was captivating as usual. That was a sad song, though.” She praised her and pretended to be sad.

Wendy chuckled and patted her arm lightly. “I know, so please stop acting like that. It’s very unusual of you.”

 Their conversation was interrupted when the show producer called Wendy for the next song. “Oh. I need to go, Irene unnie. I still have one more song to perform. See you later.”

“Oh, sure. Good luck.” Irene squeezed her friend’s arm and smiled cheerfully before Wendy left.

Irene was dazed for a minute as the person who she was really looking for appeared in front of her. She tried to greet her but noticed that Seulgi wasn’t paying attention to her surroundings so she initiated the talk, “I didn’t expect that you sing that great.”

Seulgi looked up with a surprised expression as she sees Irene Bae smiling at her. She knows that she must feel weird with the other girl’s unusual expression towards her but her heart fluttered fast again with that smile. “Th-thanks. Did you like it?”

“Yeah. Your and Wendy’s voices are very compatible.” Irene praised her, them for their performance. “Ah. Before I forgot, do you want to join us for dinner later?”

Irene’s invitation played over and over again to her mind. She just asked her to join them for dinner. Seulgi began to feel flushed but she still managed to control herself, “I want to join you but, I already promised Taeyeon unnie and Tiffany unnie for dinner.”

“No. You can actually join them.” Her sister altogether with Tiffany and the guy she remembered as Nichkhun suddenly appeared from nowhere.

Tiffany nodded, as if telling her that it’s okay to join Irene and her friends. Then Taeyeon added,“Besides, it’s time for you to make friends rather than always nagging me.”

Seulgi saw how Tiffany elbowed Taeyeon after letting go of those words. She smiled a ‘thank you smile’ to her sister’s best friend.

“Congratulations on your performance back there, Seulgi-ah. That was so tearing up.” Tiffany complimented her, her eye smile unyielding.

“Ne. Congratulations, Seulgi-ssi.” Nichkhun agreed and praised her.

Seulgi bowed at him as a sign of gratitude and smiled. She glanced sideways and sees her Taeyeon unnie acting uncomfortable. She recalled that her sister never acts like that whenever she’s with her best friend, then it comes to her mind that Taeyeon had been like that before in Lotte, when Nichkhun appeared. An idea suddenly emerged to her mind, “Perhaps. We could eat dinner together, all of us.”

“That’s actually nice.” Tiffany agreed and looked at Nichkhun, “Are you doing anything after this? You can join us for dinner.”

Taeyeon stared mockingly at Seulgi the moment she gets a gist of what she’s planning. “I’m sure Nichkhun will do something after this. Right, Khun?”

“Y-yeah. I’m going to the gym with my friends after this.” Nichkhun apologized and glanced at his wristwatch. “Actually, I need to go now. Goodbye everyone. See you later, Tiffany-ssi.”

“Ne. Thank you for your time, Khun. Take care.” Tiffany patted his arm before he left.

“Just for a moment.” Taeyeon grabbed Seulgi’s wrist and talked to her in a manner where the only two of them can here. “What were you trying to pull off, Kang Seulgi?”

“Why don’t you just tell her that you like her, unnie?” Seulgi whispered.

“She’s my best friend.” She said in gritted teeth.

“Are you okay? Wendy’s performance is about to start.” Tiffany asked them when they were already taking long.

“Ah. Nothing. I’m just telling Seulgi here not to eat a lot later.” Taeyeon reasoned and grinned.

“Okay. So, let’s go?” Tiffany asked as she started to walk back on the audience, and all of them followed.

-

Today is the end of Taeyeon and Yuri’s internship at the hospital. Tiffany’s happy that her friends are already one step ahead in reaching their dream. She’s so proud of Taeyeon that she can’t wait to see her in a doctor’s gown.

She and Yoona are waiting for them in the hospital’s parking area. Their friend just joined her just a while ago after her shift in the hospital. She was holding a rectangular box in her hand which piqued Tiffany’s interest so she asked, “What have you got for Yul?”

She looked at the present in her hand and said, “Ah, this? I bought her a stethoscope that she can use in the future at work. How about you unnie, what did you buy for Taeyeon unnie?”

Tiffany glanced at her car’s glove compartment where her present for Taeyeon is located and said, “A customized fountain pen. Will it be okay?”

“Everything’s okay with Taeyeon unnie as long as it’s from you.” Yoona smiled in reassurance. She stands properly when she saw the two interns walking towards our direction and proclaimed, “Oh, they’re here.”

“Chukhahamnida!” Yoona and Tiffany happily said in chorus. Their smiles faded away when the two interns are making gloomy faces.

“What’s with your faces?” Tiffany asked them in concern. It seemed like they’re too much worn out.

Taeyeon placed her hand to her stomach and acted like a little kid while saying, “Baegopah.”

“Then let’s eat. My treat.” Yuri and Taeyeon exchanged glances and grinned as soon as they heard the magic word.

Tiffany shakes her head in disbelief and entered the driver’s seat, T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter