Yellow Light

Risk of Incorrect Rejection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's 4 o'clock in the morning and the sun hasn't even risen yet when Tiffany's phone started making a noise, waking her from sleep. She lazily takes her phone from the nightstand and stares at the caller ID. She sighed and swiped the screen, answering the call.

 

"Wae?” She automatically responded in a snappy tone hoping that it will convey her annoyance for the early morning call.

 

But it seemed that Sooyoung didn't even bother about it and casually asked, “You’re going out with us at the theme park later right?”

 

“I’ll pass.”

 

“Come on, Tiff. We’d already let you skip our anniversary for four years. We already missed you.” She hears her friend whining and sulking on the other line, making her feel culpable.

 

She pulls down the duvet off her body and sits up. She lets out another sigh and said, “Fine. I’ll be there.”

 

“Do you want us to come and pick you up so we can go there altogether?” Sooyoung offered.

 

“Uh, it’s okay Soo. I have my car.” Tiffany replied as soon as she moves out from the bed and headed her way to the bathroom to brush her teeth.

 

“Okay. See you later!” Tiffany can't help but to shake her head with her friend's sudden change of mood. Sooyoung's making her guilty just awhile ago and now she's being all cheerful after accomplishing her job on convincing her.

 

Tiffany was about to pull an argument with Sooyoung but she thinks that it would be inappropriate since  this day is important for the both of them and their other friends. Tiffany sighed and gently said, "Happy anniversary, Syoung-ah. If you’re with the other girls, extend my greetings.”

 

“Happy anniversary too, Fany-ah. I won’t extend your greetings so you can tell them yourself."

 

She rolled her eyes and said, “Whatever. See you later. Bye.”

 

After talking to Sooyoung, Tiffany brushed her teeth and changed into her trainers. Since her friend has already waken her up, she thought that she'd just better do some exercise. Tiffany did some warming up and went to the living room. Instead of going out for a jog, she decided to uae the treadmill.

 

The sun has finally risen when Tiffany ended her treadmill session. She cooled down for a moment in her yoga mat until she heard the door made a sound. She knows that it wasn't her friends who just came in because if it's them, she should be hearing noises now and she'd be probably dragged out from her meditation session.

 

There's only one person she knows who can freely barge into her house, except for Taeyeon that is. Tiffany shakes her head for letting her mind think of Taeyeon. She breathed deeply and opened her eyes, seeing Nichkhun observing her. "Good morning, Khun.”

 

Nichkhun nods in a greeting and smiled. He shows her a paper bag in his hand and said, “I bought some breakfast. I hope you like it.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Do you have any plans today?” He places the paper bag on the table and walked towards her. He offered his hand and smiled.

 

She takes his hand and lets him assist her to stand properly. “I’m going to meet the girls later.”

 

“You’re going with them?” He asked her in amusement. He thought that she's going to pass on this one especially now that Taeyeon's back. He didn't expect that the girls actually convinced her royal stubbornness.

 

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders and started her reasoning. “It’s been a long time since I had fun with them. It’s a special day so I should go.”

 

“Is that all?” Nichkhun continued asking her in an amusing tone.

 

Tiffany understands where her friend his getting at so she said, “Okay, fine. I don’t want them to think that Taeyeon still affects me.”

 

Satisfied with her answer, Nichkhun casually replied, “Okay. Eat your breakfast while it’s still hot.”

 

Tiffany moves on the dining area and takes her seat. Nichkhun joined her there and she just et him prepare everything for her. She already get used of Nichkhun preparing meals for her anyways so she didn't mind.

 

"By the way, when are you leaving Cali? Victoria-ssi must have already missed you.” She suddenly asked remembering that her birthday has already passed and keeping him with her is not a good idea.

 

“Ah, right. Speaking of that, I’m leaving for China tonight. I hope it’s okay with you.” He said and takes his seat across her.

 

“Your fiancée is far more important than me, Khun. So of course it is.” She replied with a smile and started eating the salad that Nichkhun probably prepared for them.

 

“Vic understands the situation. And besides, who will keep you in check when I’m not with you?”

 

She wipes the side of and takes a sip of the juice that Nichkhun took from her fridge earlier. She gulped it down and said, “I can manage myself, Khun. I also actually ordered Daniel to book me a flight tomorrow.”

 

He furrows his eyebrows and asked, “You’re already going back to Seoul?”

 

She nodded and openly told him, “I don’t think I can have peace here knowing that she’s here. Besides, I still have that meeting with Faith.”

 

“I’m already handling with ChaeJi. You don’t need to---”

 

“It’s not for Steph&Nick’s, Khun-ah. It’s for SNSD Co.” She interjected.

 

Nichkhun didn't ask her any further and just said, “Okay.”

 

After their breakfast, Tiffany insisted Nichkhun to at least let her send him to the airport. But being friends with Tiffany for a long time has thought Nichkhun everything he needed to know about her. He knows that she'll just make him as an excuse to her friends so she can't join them today.

 

So even though he wanted her to send him off, he politely rejected her offer and told her that LAX is too far from their meeting place and he doesn't want to cost her time which is true. Tiffany was about to interject him again but this time he insisted that he would be fine.

 

When Nichkhun left her house, Tiffany glances at the clock attached on the wall. 8:35 am. She still have good four hours before her hangout with the girls. It crossed Tiffany's mind that since she has still plenty of time, she might as well get some sleep since Spoyoung woke her up early.

Tiffany went back to her bedroom and lay down on her bed. She closed her eyes and started to drift away from reality.

 

 

“Hi. I’m sorry I’m late. I have errands to finish earlier and took me some time to finish it.” Tiffany said as soon as she joined her friend inside the amusement park.

She's an hour late from their agreed time. And since she doesn't want to sound or look incompetent, she started making a reason. A little lie won't hurt, she thought.

“Fany unnie! I thought you’re going to ditch us. I’m glad that you showed up.” Yoona said after giving her a brief hug.

“This day’s important for me too, Yoong. Besides, I don’t have any reason or excuse to not show up.” Tiffany said with a calculated smile. She told herself that she must let herself be carefee, reminded herself that these girls are her friends, but her mind told her to stay vigilant because there is no way that this is going to be a normal reunion.

Tiffany was pulled out from her thoughts when Hyoyeon started the conversation. “Alright, alright. We don’t want to waste any more time, do we? What’s the plan?”

“Since there’s too many of us, Seohyun and I decided to divide ourselves into two groups. Right, maknae?” Sunny began.

Seohyun nodded and said, “Ne, unnie. Sunny unnie and I think that we can make this anniversary worthwhile if we make a competition out of the teams. The team who loses pays all the expenses for today.”

Tiffany raised her brow in interest then asked, “Wait. Who will cover up the expenses for the meantime?”

Sunny smiled and turned her gaze to Sooyoung. “SNSD Co.’s CEO, Miss Sooyoung Choi has given us privilege to use the company card for the meantime. The expenses will be disbursed later on from the losing team’s personal bank accounts. It will be fun isn’t it?”

Before Tiffany could complain that using the company card is too much, Yuri asked. Her competitive side automatically . “How do we compete?”

“It’s simple. Sunny unnie and I provided a list of all the rides inside the park. The first team who will finish it all before the park’s fireworks display tonight wins. And of course, to validate those rides, the teams should let their list get stamped by the ride personnel.” Seohyun thoroughly explained for everyone to understand the rules that she and Sunny made up.

“Okay. We understand.” Hyoyeon said with a nod.

“Any other questions?” Sunny asked all of them amd raise her eyebrows, waiting for anyone of them to raise their questions. or any clarifications.

“H-how do we divide teams?” Taeyeon suddenly uttered without daring to look at Tiffany. Now when she thinks of it, Tiffany wouldn't have noticed Taeyeon's existence if she hasn't participated in the talking.

Sunny smiled at her and answered the question. “We have two choices of dividing the team Taeyeon-ah. It’s either we group by age or we group by height.”

“No other options?” Tiffany voiced out. She thinks that if they are divided by age, she'll be teamed up with Sunny, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon. If it's by height, then it will just be the same. Sunny's playing semantics with her but it won't work on her.

“Do you have any suggestions then, Tiffany?”

“Can we just play rock, paper, scissors to determine the teams?” She suggested to them. Since she's already well aware about her friends' setup disguised into this game, Tiffany thought that she could turn the events and at least not team up with Taeyeon.

She sees Sunny exchanging glances to everyone but her as if asking their consent with regards to her proposition. Sunny then looked at her and said, “Fine. Let’s do that.”

The eight of them started playing the game per Tiffany's instruction. It just took them a minute to end the game and as soon as they were done with it, Tiffany sighed in dissatisfaction. No matter how hard she tries to avoid Taeyeon, the both of them still ended in one team.

“Okay. So the teams had been determined! Yuri, Hyoyeon, Yoona and I will be a team, and Seohyun, Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Tiffany will be a team. Any objections?” Sunny announced and smiled widely particularly at Tiffany and Taeyeon.

“None!" Everyone enthusiastically responded

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter