Sailing

Risk of Incorrect Rejection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany got discharged from the hospital the next day. Her doctor had advised her to not drink too much alcohol again unless she wanted to come back and get hospitalized again.

Hearing her colleague's advice, Taeyeon assured Doctor Song that she won't let that happen to Tiffany again.

Tiffany can't help but to feel happy. She knows that she always appreciates Taeyeon's thoughtfulness towards her but this time, it just feels different. She feels ecstatic to have Taeyeon to take care of her and do things for her.

The best friends are now on their way home to their apartment. Taeyeon drives the car while Tiffany's sitting next to her, contemplating whether she should ask Taeyeon or not about the thing that's been bugging her since last night.

"Tae. Can I ask you something?" Tiffany managed to ask.

"Mmm. What is it?" Taeyeon replied without taking her eyes off the road.

"Why did you break up with Baekhyun-ssi?" Tiffany asked casual as possible.

There was a few seconds of silence between them until Taeyeon said, "It's actually him who broke up with me.”

"Oh. That must have been hurt a lot." Tiffany looked away not wanting to embarrass herself from asking.

'Stupid Stephi. What are you saying? Of course she's hurt!' Tiffany scolded herself.

Taeyeon just shook her head and bluntly said, "Not really. I didn't have any romantic feelings with him. Baek's just like a brother to me.”

Tiffany felt relieved after hearing those words. But she's still curious of something. "Then why?"

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and just said, "I promised him that I'll go out with him as soon as he recovered. I just didn't expect that going out means dating for him. He's not a bad guy so I decided to give it a try."

"I bet he always makes you happy." Tiffany said weakly.

'But no one makes me happy like you do, Fany-ah.' Taeyeon wanted to tell her but she does not have enough courage.

"Well, he does. But it was not enough to make me fall in love with him. Besides, I'm already taken." Taeyeon grinned.

"Wait. What do you mean that you're taken? Are you hiding something from me again, Kim Taeyeon?" Tiffany sounded real jealous this time. She didn't care if Taeyeon already sensed it. It just has hurt her to know that the love of her life is already taken.

'Bull. I shouldn't have said that. Well, it's now or never, Kim Taeyeon. Just give it a try. Tell her!' The voice in Taeyeon's mind cheered out.

Taeyeon breathed heavily as she pulled over to the empty side of the road and looked at Tiffany.

"Someone already caught my heart before Baekhyun came into my life." Taeyeon started.

"Do I know him?" Tiffany calmed down and tried to sound usual even though she already feels nervous and jealous.

Taeyeon nodded and smiled.

Tiffany twitched her lips and furrowed her eyebrows while thinking who might this person that captivated her best friend's heart. Taeyeon doesn't have guy friends. Then a weird thought crossed her mind. "Nichkhun?"

Taeyeon just stared at her intently. Then a few seconds later, she laughed with her signature 'ahjumma' laugh. She stopped laughing when she sees Tiffany already glaring at her. "I'm sorry. I just didn't expect that he's the first person who just crossed in your mind. Silly."

Tiffany frowned and said, "Then who is this person?"

"You." Taeyeon bluntly said in an expressionless manner.

Tiffany just can't believe of what she just heard. She's still trying to assess in her mind of what Taeyeon has just said. 'Did she just confess her feelings for me?'

"Ya Kim Taeyeon! I almost fall for that. Don't do that joke ever again." Tiffany nervously laughed. But deep inside, she hopes that it is not a joke.

Taeyeon shakes her head and looked at Tiffany with all sincerity. 'There's no turning back now, Kim Taeyeon.'

"Stephanie Young Hwang." It's a first time for Tiffany to hear Taeyeon calling her English name again. The last time she called that was when they were in grade school.

 

[<<] Flashback

Summer 1997.

A 9-year old Kim Taeyeon was busy doing her science investigatory project in the school laboratory when she heard a loud creak from the door and heard the headmaster call her name. She stopped from whatever she's doing and looked at the old man. "Yes, Mister Lee. How may I help you?"

"Ah. I'm sorry for interrupting your experiment, Taeyeon-ah. I just want you to do me a favor." The old man apologized and gave Taeyeon a smile.

"Do I need to plant the school garden again? Is Gardener Heo absent again?" Taeyeon asked politely.

"No, no." The old man chuckled and continued, "I want you to take care of your new classmate. She just transferred from LA."

Then Taeyeon shifted her gaze to the girl beside the headmaster. Being the kind and responsible class president, Taeyeon bowed greeted the girl. "Annyeonghaseyo."

The small girl in front of Tiffany just greeted her casually which made her blush. She didn't know what to say so she just kept silent.

"I'll leave her to you, Taeyeon-ah. Be nice."  Mister Lee reminded as he lightly patted the young girl's head and left.

"Hi. I'm Taeyeon. Kim. Tae. Yeon." The shorter girl emphasized each syllable of her name as she introduced herself.

"Stephanie Young Hwang. But you can call me Tiffany." The other girl happily said at her.

"Sutepani Young Hwang? Tipani?" Taeyeon asked as if the name's total stranger to her.

The 9-year old Tiffany Hwang giggled at her new classmate’s cuteness. She shook her head and corrected, "It's Stephanie and Tiffany."

"Yeah. That's what I said. Su-te-pa-ni. Tipani." Taeyeon uttered.

Seeing the other girl starting to get annoyed with her, Taeyeon asked, "Ugh. Don't you have any Korean name?"

Tiffany sighed and looked down, "I do have one, but I don't like strangers and other people call me by that name."

"Then let me be an exception. We could be friends." Taeyeon grinned at her.

She doesn't usually make friends to anyone but she just finds Tiffany interesting.

Tiffany looked up and sees the shorter girl grinning at her. "Hwang Miyoung."

"Hwang Miyoung." Taeyeon repeated and smiled. "That's better."

 

[>>] End of Flashback

 

Taeyeon breathed heavily and said, "Let me tell you a secret. Actually, I've been hiding it years from now. I never had the courage to tell the person I love on how I feel because I'm afraid that I'll get rejected. I'm afraid that what I am having is just an unrequited love. I'm afraid that I might lose---"

Tiffany started to feel nervous on her friend’s sudden confession. Before she can regret it, she cut her off and said, "I get it Taeyeon-ah. I feel the same. I'm also in love with someone and yet I kept on denying my real feelings for this person thinking that we'll never be in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter