Vernon - Duly Noted

13 Days of SEVENTEEN

more vernon for the holiday season <3 so this is my first high school au but vernons adorable and hopefully you find this cute cause he hurts me XD thanks for reading!

Word Count: 4662

Genre: Fluff; High School AU

Characters: You, Vernon, and mentions of the rest of SEVENTEEN

 

Day 0

“That was terrible,” you say as you slam your head onto the desk.

Hansol sits on the edge of your table without a care in the world as the other kids hang around the classroom. Smacking his bubble gum, he replies, “It wasn’t that bad.”

Slowly tilting your head up, you glare at him. “I hate you.”

He chuckles and hops down to take his usual seat next to you. “Come on, it’s just a test. You always score higher than me anyway.”

Sitting up straight, you groan. “Ughhh, no offense, Hansol, but you don’t exactly do that amazing to compare to.”

Clutching his heart, Hansol pretends to be shot. “Agh! Your words cut so deep, (Y/N)!”

Even in your ball of despair, your best friend manages to make you feel just a little better. “I’m sorry,” you chuckle. “You’re just a lot smarter than your grades show. You should try harder.”

Adjusting his uniform jacket, Hansol nods back at you. “Thanks, but because I don’t do so well, grades don’t get to me. You should try it sometimes.”

“Pass,” you flatly reply.

“You’re so sad, (Y/N).” He blows a giant bubble as you sit there and mope.

You and Hansol became friends a few years ago when you both moved to the city. As the new kids, you guys connected over your mutual understanding of not having a lot of friends. Years later, that still held to be true.

Covering your face again, you groan. “UGHH! I am so sad!” Turning to the side, you rest your cheek on the table and pout. “I’m never gonna find love.”

Hansol stares at you, incredibly confused. “What the hell. Where did that come from?”

You sigh and just stare off into space. “It’s just another thing that adds to my sadness.”

Chewing away, Hansol crosses his arms. “Do you want to find love?”

“It would be nice,” you admit. “Especially since nobody really shows interest around here.”

“Oh come on, (Y/N),” Hansol says to encourage you. “You’re just oblivious. I’m sure there are plenty of guys at this school who like you.”

“Ha!”

“Come on!” he tries to reassure you. “What about Jeonghan? From room 21?”

“Ha!” you laugh again, pointing out just how ridiculous he’s being.

Hansol taps the desk and chews as he thinks. “Yeah, you’re right. He’s way too good looking for you.”

“Thanks.”

“Well, it’s true.”

You sigh. “Yeah, I know.”

“Okay, then what about...Chan?”

You raise an eyebrow at him. “Lee Chan? The dance prodigy who’s literally spoken to me once?”

Thinking it over, Hansol quietly says, “Yeah.”

“Ha!”

“Okay, yeah, maybe you’re right,” Hansol submits. “No guys for you.”

Closing your eyes, you feel so defeated from all of your sorrows. “I’m never gonna find love.”

Seeing you like this always makes Hansol smile, even if you don’t notice. “Duly noted.”

 
 

Day 1

You walk into class, prepared for another day of torturous lessons and quizzes, and head to your seat like usual. Hansol hasn’t gotten there yet, so you expect to just sit alone on your phone until he gets there or class starts. Whichever comes first. But when you pull out your seat, you look down at your chair to find something you definitely weren’t expecting.

Staring at your seat, you read the yellow post-it that’s been put there.

“Hey :D” it reads.

Confused, you look all around you. Nobody seems to notice what you’re staring at. Cautiously, you take it off the chair and flip it back and forth, as if checking to see if it’s real. What the hell? you think. You’re not sure if the note’s for you, but it doesn’t say who it’s from.

Just standing there, you read the word and cute happy face a few more times. You’re so confused that you don’t notice Hansol coming up behind you.

“Hey,” he greets you like usual.

But you’re so entranced that you jump. “Oh !” you exclaim with a start.

Hansol chuckles as he takes off his backpack and sits down. Seeing that you’re holding something, he tilts his head up. “What’s that?”

“Uhhh.” You glance back at it and show it to him. “I don’t know. Somebody left it on my chair.”

“Can I see?” he asks, holding out his hand.

You pass it to him as you sit down. “I don’t know if it’s for me.”

Hansol quickly reads it and looks back at you. “(Y/N), are you stupid? It was on your chair.” He hands it back to you. “Obviously it’s for you.”

“Well, okay,” you say, holding it between your hands. “Somebody’s saying hey.”

“Hey with a happy face,” he clarifies.

You scoff and stick the note at the corner of your desk. “Okay then.”

Hansol crinkles his eyebrows as he watches you take out your books. “That’s it?”

“What?”

“Aren’t you curious to know who put it there?” he asks.

You look at him confused. “Why? Did you see who did it?”

“What, no. That’s not what I meant,” he says, shaking his head. “I mean like...somebody left a note. That usually means something.”

You raise an eyebrow at him and point your pencil to the post it. “It says hey.”

“With a happy face!” he emphasizes. “It’s kinda cute, don’t you think?”

A little weirded out by your friend, you open your notebook to where you left off yesterday. “Hansol, it’s just a note. I don’t think it means anything.”

“What if it’s a secret admirer?”

“Pretty lame admirer, don’t you think?” you laugh. “I mean, hey? That’s it?”

Hansol rolls his eyes and proceeds to get his own stuff out. “This coming from the girl who complained that she has no love life.”

“What?” you chuckle, trying to look him in the eyes. “You think this is someone who likes me?”

“I don’t know, okay,” he replies. “But people don’t just leave notes around willy nilly. Maybe it’s a guy who likes you.”

Thinking it over a little, you stare at the note. That happy face is pretty cute. But you don’t want to look too much into it. “Maybe it’s Jeonghan from room 21.”

Hansol smiles. “Or Lee Chan, the dance prodigy.”

You two exchange a joking look. “Maybe.”

 
 

Day 2

Hansol’s not here yet, you realize as you head to your desk. Pulling the chair out, you stare at another unexpected post-it note.

“You have a beautiful smile ♡”

This time you don’t even pick up the note. You stare at it way longer as your heart races. And while you’re standing there, you don’t notice Hansol come in behind you.

“Hey,” he greets you.

But you don’t even notice. You’re too surprised by this new note.

Curious as to what’s gotten you so shook, Hansol looks over your shoulder. Reading the note himself, he smiles before he takes his seat. “I told you it was a secret admirer.”

Yanking the post-it up, you turn to show it to him. “You see this, right?!” you ask nervously, almost worried you’re seeing things.

Hansol moves his head back, trying not to get hit by your eagerness. “You have a beautiful smile,” he reads.

“With a heart!” you exclaim.

Hansol chuckles and looks up at you. “So now you care about the symbols?”

Falling into your chair, you read the note over and over again. “This has to be a joke.”

“What?” Hansol laughs, unable to take you seriously.

Still shocked, your mouth hangs open. You drop your hand and look at your friend in disbelief. “Someone’s messing with me.”

“What the hell, (Y/N).”

“Well, that’s the only way to explain this!”

Hansol takes the note from your hand and shoves it in your face. “You have a secret admirer! That’s what explains this!”

Snatching it back, you still can’t believe what you’re reading. “That’s impossible!”

“How?!”

“Cause I’m never gonna find love!” you argue.

“Well, clearly, it’s found you!” he argues back. “Are you really this dense?”

In disbelief, you slump into your chair. “This is crazy.”

Hansol just stares at you and shakes his head. “You’re so stupid.”

 
 

Day 3

You wait at the door of your classroom, peeking your head inside every so often. A few students are already there, chatting amongst themselves, but you’re not paying attention to them. You have your eyes locked on your desk.

As you’re watching your own table like a hawk, Hansol shakes his head as he walks up to you. “What are you doing?”

Glad to see him, you take Hansol by the shoulders and stare him in the eyes. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Used to how crazy you are, Hansol just stares back. “Why are we friends?” he flatly responds.

Ignoring his insult, you turn him and push him into the classroom. “I need you to check my seat.”

“Why?” he asks through a laugh.

“Because I’m scared to find another note.”

“You’re scared?”

“I think I’m going crazy.”

Hansol rolls his eyes and turns around as you get to your desk. “You realize I saw those notes, too. You’re not going crazy.”

Unamused, you point to your seat. “Just check the damn chair.”

With a sigh, Hansol pulls out your chair and bends down. “Yep,” he says as he stands back up. Handing you the post-it note, he says, “There’s another one.”

Taking it from his hands, you quickly read it.

“You’re really cute ^_^”

Letting out a huge breath, you drop your hands. Falling into Hansol’s chair, you feel your body tingle. “Oh my god.”

Hansol plops down on your desk and just watches you implode. “What’s the matter now?”

“I have a secret admirer,” you say in shock.

Hansol smiles out of the corner of his mouth. “So you’re not entirely stupid.”

“This isn’t funny, Hansol,” you say, out of breath.

“What the hell?” he laughs. “Seriously, what is wrong with you?”

“Somebody’s in love with me,” you say, staring into space.

“Wow, somebody thinks highly of herself,” he says sarcastically.

But you don’t argue. You just shove the note in his face. “Evidence.”

“It says cute. Nowhere does it say love.”

“Somebody loves me.”

Shaking his head, Hansol asks, “Then why are you freaking out?”

You turn to him and say, “What if he’s ugly?”

Hansol rolls his eyes and just sighs. “I hate you.”

 
 

Day 4

“What about that guy?”

You look around the cafeteria at where Hansol’s pointing. Immediately, your shoulders slump. “Are you kidding?”

“What?” Hansol says as he takes a bite. “He’s good looking.”

You roll your eyes and gesture to the same guy. “That’s Choi Seungcheol. No way in hell he would be my secret admirer.”

“Fine,” Hansol replies, his mouth full. Pointing to the next person walking by, he says, “That guy.”

Watching the boy walk away, you groan. “Junhui. Is this a joke?”

“What’s wrong with him?”

“He’s perfect, that’s what’s wrong with him. He’s from China. Being foreign just makes him hotter,” you explain.

“Hey, I was born in America,” Hansol points out, gesturing at his own face.

But you just grimace. “You’re exotic in a completely different way,” you insult him.

Taking the hit, Hansol goes back to scouting out potential suitors. “Okay. What about him? He looks lowkey.” Hansol points to the corner of cafeteria.

You turn and feel the urge to punch your friend as he points out Kim Mingyu, easily the most well known boy in your entire school for being attractive. You stare at Hansol, unamused. “I hate you.”

But he just smiles. Wiping his face, he reaches his hand over your trays. “Give me the note. What does this one say again?”

You hand it over to him and he reads it outloud. “I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you how I felt earlier.”

You groan as you drink some chocolate milk. Looking all over the cafeteria, you have no idea who could’ve written those words. “Who has been in love with me?” you ask.

Hansol sighs. With a shrug, he just goes on eating. “Beats me.”

“Hopefully he’s cute,” you say, half-joking. You know Hansol knows you’re not that shallow, but it would be nice.

“I bet he’s as ugly as you are.”

“Wow,” you say, giving him the side eye. “Hopefully he’s not as ugly as you.”

Hansol shakes his head. “Wouldn’t that be a tragedy.”

 

Day 5

“Psst!”

Hansol shakes awake as the teacher explains whatever he’s written on the board. Neither of you are paying attention, but at least you could stay conscious.

“What?” he whispers, rubbing his eyes.

You nudge his shoulder and pass him a note. Confused, he takes it and looks over at you. You motion for him to read it. He looks down at the ripped paper and reads it in his head. “I think I know who my secret admirer is.”

Surprised, Hansol looks back over at you. He mouths the word, “Really?”

You nod and quickly write on another piece of paper. You’re careful to make sure the teacher doesn’t see you. Sticking today’s post-it to the corner, you pass the note to Hansol.

He cautiously takes it and reads what you’ve written. “So you know how the note says this?” There’s an arrow pointing to your admirer’s latest message.

“You make my heart sing ♪”

He nods and keeps reading. “Well, what if it’s Jihoon?”

This time Hansol’s so struck with disbelief, he turns to you and whispers, “Jihoon?”

You quickly nod. Leaning over, you nod your head towards Jihoon who sits all the way in the back corner of the classroom. “It would make sense,” you say as quietly as possible. “He’s never spoken to me before and he’s always writing songs. Maybe it’s him.”

Hansol looks back to the boy who’s more reclusive than anybody else in your class. The few times Hansol spoke with him though, he found that he was actually a really cool guy who liked to write songs. But as he turns back to you, Hansol has this look that shows he’s clearly not convinced. “I don’t think so.”

“Why not?!”

“You guys don’t have any chemistry,” he explains.

“Well, who on earth do I have chemistry with?”

But before Hansol can answer you…

“Hansol! (Y/N)!”

“Yes!” you both immediately respond as you snap forward.

“Pay attention,” your teacher says sternly. “You don’t want to miss what’s right in front of you.”

“Yes sir,” you reply.

Hansol waits until your teacher’s completely refocused his attention to the board. He turns back to you and teases, “Do you think you’re missing something right in front of you?”

You reach over to his desk and take back your post-it note. “I have no idea.”

 

Day 6

“Thanks for letting me borrow your notes.”

“Yeah, no problem,” you tell him with a big smile.

Just as Wonwoo’s about to say something else, the bell rings overhead. He looks up and gives a weak smile. “Sorry, I gotta go. I’ll talk to you later.”

You beam and wave as you watch him back away. “Yeah, talk to you later.”

With a grin and a wave, he looks at you one last time over his shoulder. “Bye, (Y/N)!”

“Bye, Wonwoo!”

As you’re watching Wonwoo leave, you don’t notice Hansol walking past him towards you. Seeing that lovestruck look on your face, Hansol sneers. “What the hell’s wrong with your face?”

With a heavy sigh, you lean onto the doorframe. “I think I’ve found my secret admirer.”

Hansol quickly does a double take to see Wonwoo walking away, the boy you’re still staring at. Shocked, Hansol points back at him. “Wonwoo?!”

You drowsily nod. “I think it’s him.”

Too used to hearing this crap from you, Hansol rolls his eyes. Grabbing you by the arm, he pulls you into the classroom with him. “What evidence do you have this time?”

Bringing yourself back to reality, you follow Hansol back to your seats. “Wonwoo’s always asking for my notes and he’s always reading.”

“So?” Hansol questions as he takes his seat.

Taking your own, you pull out today’s note from your pocket. “So!” Giving it to your friend, he reads it.

“You make me want to do better in school.”

Hansol sighs and gives you back the note. “You’re hopeless.”

“It’s Wonwoo!” you exclaim with a smile. “And ya know what, I’m pretty happy that it is.”

“What?” Hansol utters.

“Wonwoo’s cute! He’s sweet! He’s charming! He’s—”

“Lazy,” he interjects. “The guy can’t even take his own notes.”

“He’s trying to get better grades for me,” you point out, lost in your own fantasy.

“Whatever.”

 
 

Day 7

Hansol comes into the classroom and sits down, expecting you to act like you have been for the past week with all these notes. But he’s surprised when he looks over and finds you completely silent.

“What’s wrong?”

Without a word, you just pass him the post-it. He reads it like usual.

“I really want you to know who I am. Can you meet at the basketball courts after school today?”

Holding the note, Hansol looks up at you. “What’s wrong with this?”

You turn to him, your heart beating in your ears. “I can’t do this,” you say under your breath.

“I cannot believe you,” Hansol flatly says, tossing the note onto your desk.

“Hansol,” you say, feeling the panic creep up on you. “I’m not ready to meet this guy.”

“What’re you talking about?” he laughs, seriously done with your . “You just said that you thought it was Wonwoo and that that would be good!”

Taking a deep breath, you got goosebumps. “But what if I’m wrong, or what if I misinterpreted everything?”

“You are unbelievable,” Hansol says, getting out his class materials.

“Seriously, Hansol.”

And for the first time all week, Hansol can see that you are being serious. He sees the concern in your eyes and he can see just how worried you are about this. “Hey,” he says gently, reaching over and putting his hand on yours.

“What if I mess everything up? What if this person thought I was a certain way and they’re just going to be disappointed when we actually interact?” you ask.

Hansol softly grins and grips your hand a little tighter. “Hey,” he says again, waiting until you meet his gaze. Looking into your eyes, he tells you, “That’s not going to happen.”

“How do you know?”

“Because,” Hansol starts to explain, thinking of the best way to put this, “because...you’re awesome.”

“Wow,” you manage to chuckle. “That’s reassuring.”

“I’m serious,” he says with a smile. “(Y/N), this guy knows you’re awesome and he’s been slowly confessing to you. Trust me, he’s probably way more nervous than you are with all of this. He’s the one who’s risking everything by meeting you today. All you have to do is be yourself. He would never reject you. But him...who knows how you’ll react.”

You hold Hansol’s hand and ask, “You don’t think I’ll disappoint him?”

With a toothy grin, Hansol tells you, “Trust me. You could never do that. Just stay calm. Everything will be fine.”

 
 

Later on Day 7

“Ohmygodohmygodohmygod,” you stutter as you pace back and forth along the wall by the basketball courts. Shaking out your hands, you keep freaking out. “Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.”

Hansol’s beside you, keeping you company before you send him away. “It’s nice that you’re taking my advice from earlier so well,” he sarcastically says.

“Hansol, I’m freaking out!”

“Don’t freak out!” he laughs.

“OH MY GOD!”

“Okay, yeah that’s not helping.”

“I shouldn’t meet him,” you declare, fanning yourself.

Rolling his eyes, Hansol steps in front of your path. Grabbing you by the shoulders, he looks down and shakes some sense into you. “You’re going to be fine!”

“You don’t know that!”

“Just trust me!” he laughs.

Looking into Hansol’s always supportive eyes, you manage to breathe a little better. Taking a deep breath, you slowly let it out. Collecting yourself, you nod. “Okay.”

Hansol smiles and lets you go. “Good.”

You take a moment to really calm down, and Hansol waits until he sees that you’re alright before saying anything else. When he finally sees you at ease, he asks, “Can I leave now? Your mystery guy’s probably gonna be here soon.”

Holding your own hands, you nervously nod. “Yeah, yeah. You’re right.”

Hansol can’t help but smile at seeing you like this. “Hey,” he says before he makes his departure.

You look up. “Yeah?” you say nervously.

He gives you a reassuring nod and says, “Whatever happens, you’re awesome, okay?”

Seeing your friend so cheesey makes you smile right back at him. “Way more awesome than you are, that’s for sure,” you tease.

Clutching his heart, Hansol pretends to be shot. “Agh! Your words cut so deep, (Y/N)!”

You laugh as you watch him walk away. “Bye, Hansol.”

He smiles and says to you, before he disappears around the corner, “See you soon, (Y/N).”

Now all alone, you try your best to not freak out. Sweat starts to build on your palms and you feel your tongue getting dry. Oh my god, is all that’s running through your head, but you try to keep Hansol’s advice in mind. Still though, you’re way too nervous to meet your secret admirer.

About five minutes go by when you hear footsteps coming from the opposite corner of the building. You stop in your tracks as you listen. As they get closer and closer, your heart beats faster and faster. You get so anxious just anticipating who’s going to round that corner. It’s Wonwoo, you think, but you immediately start second guessing yourself. No, it’s Jihoon. Or maybe Seungcheol or Junhui or Mingyu...Oh my god, it’s definitely none of them. Just shut up, (Y/N). You’re freaking out way too hard.

Taking a deep breath in, you hold onto it until the person finally appears before you. Immediately, all the air leaves you and you stare at him, disapprovingly.

“Really, Hansol?”

But he’s all smiles as he walks towards you. Pointing over his shoulder, he says, “Did you know it takes five minutes to walk around the whole building?”

You groan and smack your forehead. “What are you doing here? My guy’s gonna get here any minute now!”

But Hansol just laughs as he keeps walking towards you. “Wow, you really are stupid.”

“Oh, ha ha,” you reply, trying to look around him. “Seriously, you gotta get out of here. He’ll be here soon.”

“(Y/N),” he says, ignoring your request.

“What?” you say back, still looking past him.

“Hey,” he says, a giant smile on his face.

“Yeah, hey,” you quickly reply. “You gotta go.”

“You have a beautiful smile.”

You pause and direct your attention to your best friend as he stops in front of you. “What?” you ask, extremely confused.

But he’s still just beaming at you, in a way that you’ve never noticed before. “You’re really cute,” he tells you.

Your mouth hanging out, it’s still not registering with you. “Hansol, what are you—”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you how I felt earlier,” he says, his voice as soft as rain as he reaches out and takes both of your hands.

Your heart is racing. “Hansol, if this is a joke—”

“You make my heart sing,” he says, shyly looking at the ground.

You’ve never seen Hansol like this before, all gentle and...cute. You have no idea what’s happening, but your heart is going crazy. “Hansol…”

Slowly, he tilts his head up to meet your gaze. You two have made eye contact countless times before, but never like this. “You...make me want to do better in school.”

Speechless, you don’t know what else to say.

Finally, he steps just a little closer to you and says, “I really want you to know who I am. Can you meet at the basketball courts after school today?”

And with that, you two are standing face to face in silence. Both nervous wrecks, neither of you know what else to say. Still smiling, Hansol decides to make the first move. “And those are all the lines I prepared,” he jokes.

But you can’t laugh like you normally would. This time you’re left just staring at him. Your hands still together, you don’t feel any desire to pull away. Finally, after a good minute of pure silence, you crack a confused smile. “Hansol?”

“Yeah?” he says, raising an eyebrow at you.

You’re my secret admirer?”

Hansol chuckles and swings your arms back and forth. “For someone who’s good at school, you’re not very quick, (Y/N).”

This time, you chuckle with him. Your heart’s still beating like crazy, but your body feels lighter, as if you were...relieved to see Hansol. “It was you this whole time?”

Nervously, Hansol nods. “Yeah,” he says through his breath. “And let me tell you, that was the most nerve wracking thing ever.”

“You...like me?”

“I thought the notes made that obvious.”

“But…” You can’t find your words. You’re just surprised, but in a good way. “Really?”

“Oh come on, (Y/N),” Hansol laughs, “You’re awesome! I told you. Who wouldn’t like you?”

“Hansol…” You feel a giant smile come to your lips.

And Hansol’s just as happy to see that on your face. “Are you disappointed I’m not Wonwoo?” he asks.

“No!” you immediately exclaim, now embarrassed by all of the things you said to your secret admirer. Trying to hide your blush, you look away. “I’m not disappointed at all! When did you put all those notes there? I always got to class before you.”

He smiles and explains, “I put them there after school every day. It wasn’t too hard to think of what to say.”

“I just—just didn’t know you thought about me that way.”

“Yeah, I know,” he admits, trying to hold back his blush. “You’ve always been great to me, (Y/N). And I don’t know...I never thought you wanted anything more. And I was too scared to say anything.” He takes a deep breath and says, “But last week when you said you were looking for love, I thought it was my shot” Shyly smiling at you, he asks “Is it a bad thing?”

For as long as you two were friends, you never had any idea that Hansol felt this way. But hearing him say all these wonderful things makes you see your best friend in a new light, a light that shines even brighter than his smile.Overwhelmed by how amazing your best friend is, you shake your head. “No, it’s not.”

“Good,” he says. Coming closer, he pulls you into a hug. “Because you really are awesome.”

Still in disbelief, you’re consumed by this incredible warmth. You feel it all over your body, as if you had already known that you were waiting for Hansol this whole time. Smiling bigger than you thought was possible, you wrap your arms around him and squeeze right back. “You’re really awesome, too.”

Hansol chuckles and, after a moment, extends his arms out to look at you again. “You are so difficult to do anything cute for!”

“What?!” you laugh.

“You are so freakin’ dense, I swear,” he teases you. “First you didn't think you had a secret admirer, then you thought someone was tricking you, and then you even thought it was Wonwoo!”

Laughing through your embarrassment, you try to hide your face. “I was just going off my hunches!”

Lowering himself to your eye level, he smiles and says, “Well, you’re just bad.”

You smile back, happy that even though he’s in love with you, Hansol can still be himself. That makes it easier for you to love him back. “Maybe with you, I’ll be a lot better.”

Incredibly happy to hear that, Hansol dives in and plants a kiss on your forehead. “I’d really like that.”


AGHHHHH i really liked writing this one XD hope you guys liked that and the other vernon fics if you read them <3 unfortunately those 3 are the only vernon ones for now but tomorrow will be designated to another member! thanks again and happy holidays!