Vernon - Deck the Halls (Falalalafail)

13 Days of SEVENTEEN

more of this cutie for the holiday season!! this is the first request I'm doing so hope you guys like it <3

Request: (from the amazing and awesomely supportive @ichigoyuuki on tumblr THANK YOU SO MUCH) Vernon tries to surprise you by decorating the apartment, but things don't go as planned

Word Count: 2183

Genre: Fluff; Holidays/Christmas

Characters: You, Vernon, and the rest of SEVENTEEN

 

“Hansol, are you sure you’re supposed to hang tinsel like this?” Mingyu asks. He’d been holding his arms up for about two minutes now and was starting to get tired.

“Of course that’s how you do it,” Vernon replies, trying to secure the other end along the ceiling. “How else are you supposed to do this?”

Mingyu’s about to answer, but he’s interrupted by Seokmin from the kitchen. “Cookies are in the oven!”

“Thanks hyung!” Vernon calls back as he gets down from the ladder. He moves it over to help relieve Mingyu of his pain.

“You’re putting so much effort into this,” Mingyu laughs as Vernon climbs up past his head. He watches his friend duct tape the decoration to the ceiling. “You’re baking cookies just to make the place smell like Christmas.”

Vernon sighs as he glances around the apartment. “If only my efforts were showing results.”

Mingyu looks around the haphazardly decorated living room as the others tried to help put it in order. “Yeah…”

Knowing how much you love Christmas, Vernon had been planning to decorate the apartment for the holiday season and surprise you when you came over. He had it all planned out. He bought some outdoor lawn ornaments to have in the living room, even one of those giant blow up snow globes. He asked Seokmin and Seungkwan to bake your favorite cookies to make everything smell nice. He had Chan, Junhui, and Soonyoung sprinkle fake snow everywhere while Wonwoo and Minghao decorated the Christmas tree you two picked out. He even had Woozi make a Christmas playlist. It was going to be perfect.

Until he actually tried to do all of that. The apartment is a mess. Vernon quickly found out why those giant decorations were so much better outside; they were so freakin big. When Seungcheol inflated the snow globe, it took up half the living room. While making the batter, Seungkwan accidentally put too much peppermint in the cookies so it was going to smell a lot more like toothpaste than Christmas. The fake snow that Vernon got was all messed up and looked more like cotton balls for a mouse. And to top it all off, the Christmas tree was way smaller than anticipated.

It’s a mess and Vernon’s starting to freak out.

Looking at the destruction that was ensuing before his eyes, Vernon tries to stay calm. “Okay. This can still work out. This is okay.”

But just as he’s about to go help Jeonghan and Joshua with the stockings by the fireplace, Woozi calls him from the corner. “Vernon-ah! I think the speakers are broken!”

“What?!” he cries back, hustling over to try and help.

Woozi tries to play the music from his phone, but nothing comes out. “I don’t know what’s wrong. They were working last night.”

Coming over to see what’s wrong, Mingyu gets this really guilty look on his face. “Oh my god, Hansol, I’m so sorry…”

Vernon looks up with his mouth hanging open, but Woozi just shakes his head in dismay. “Why am I not even surprised?”

“It was an accident!” Mingyu exclaims. “I was drinking hot chocolate last night and—”

But Vernon doesn’t even let him finish. “HOT CHOCOLATE!” he screams, running out of the corner, leaving Woozi and Mingyu to fix it amongst themselves. “I FORGOT THE HOT CHOCOLATE!”

Hearing his screams, Seungkwan yells from the kitchen. “ON IT, VERNON!”

Vernon gets a moment of relief. “THANKS SEUNGKWANNIE!” He lets out a breath as he goes on to the next crisis.

“Vernonnie, can you help me with this?” Seungcheol asks as he tries to untangle a mess of lights.

Vernon’s about to head over when he hears Junhui call for him, too. “Wait, Vernon! You need to tell us what to do about this snow?”

“It’s not sprinkling like you want it to,” Soonyoung explains.

Vernon runs his hand through his hair as sweat forms on his forehead. “Uhh…”

“Hansol, I don’t think we have enough ornaments!” Wonwoo interjects from the back of the Christmas tree.

“We can just decorate the front,” Minghao suggests as he readjusts the ornaments that kept slipping.

“And only have half a tree done?”

“Well, it’s gonna be half done either way.”

Overwhelmed, Vernon doesn’t know what to deal with first. “Uhh…” His mind goes blank as he thinks of the one person other than you who could possibly help with something like this. “You guys do your best. I’ll be right back.” Spinning around, he dashes to his room to make a phone call.

Shutting the door behind him, Vernon pulls out his phone and checks the time. He panics a little more when he realizes you’re going to be there really soon. Frantically going to his contacts, he calls the person he’s looking for. “Come on, come on, come on,” he repeats as he listens to the dial tone.

Finally, she picks up. “Hello? Hansol?”

“Sophia!” Vernon exclaims, so happy to hear his little sister’s voice.

“Oppa, what’s up?” she asks.

Scratching his head, Vernon tries to wrap his head around this problem. “Umm, well, okay, I was trying to surprise (Y/N) by decorating the apartment—”

“Oh no,” she interjects. “I already know where this is going.”

“You know I’m not good at this stuff!”

Sophia sighs but manages to chuckle at her brother’s struggle, like any little sister would. “Oppa, I’m at school.”

“I need your help!”

“How can I help you?” she laughs.

“How do you decorate?” he quickly asks.

“How am I supposed to explain that to you right now?” she giggles.

With a sigh, Vernon tries to calm himself down. Just talking to Sophia helped with that. “You’re right.”

Sophia smiles and replied, “Look, Hansol, you’re probably just trying too hard. Keep it simple. (Y/N)’s gonna love whatever you do anyway. It doesn’t have to look amazing. It doesn’t even have to look good. As long as she knows you tried, she’s gonna love it.”

“Are you sure?” he asks uneasily.

“Positive.”

Vernon lets out a deep breath and slumps against the wall. “So you can’t help me with the mess I’ve made?”

“I’m at school! You should’ve asked me to help after or something.”

“I really should’ve,” Vernon admits, rubbing his hand all over his face.

She giggles as the bell goes off behind her. “Sorry, oppa, I gotta go. Don’t stress too much. Good luck with everything.”

Vernon smiles. “Thanks, Sophia. Stay in school sis.”

Unamused, she replies, “That’s literally what I’m doing.”

“Right.”

Rolling her eyes, Sophia smiles. “Bye, oppa.”

“Bye.”

With a boost in morale, Vernon opens the door and heads back to the living room. “OKAY GUYS! WE CAN DO THIS!” he shouts.

The others turn to face his now smiling face, but before they can even agree or encourage him some more…

Knock! Knock!

Vernon glances down at his phone and sees that you’re early. Hanging his head again, he sighs. “Never mind.”

Joshua grins and comes over to pat him on the back. “It’s okay, Vernon. (Y/N)’s still gonna love all of this.”

“Or she’ll laugh so hard that she can’t see this mess,” Jeonghan adds.

Joshua points back at him. “That’s also an option.”

Not so comforted, Vernon takes a deep breath and goes to get the door. Opening it so you can’t see what’s going on in the apartment, he slides outside to greet you. “Hey baby!” he says with a huge smile.

You can see his eyes light up and it makes yours do the same. “Hey!” you say back as you wrap your arms around his waist. Hugging him tightly, you feel him return the favor. You have a giant coat on, so his embrace just adds to your warmth. “What’s up, love?”

You hear him laugh nervously as you let go. Anxiously, he rubs the back of his neck. “Uhh, not much.”

But you can read your boyfriend like a book. Raising an eyebrow at him, you ask, “Are you okay?”

“Umm, okay…,” he starts to say. Looking over his shoulder at the door, he explains, “Before you go in there, I want to let you know that I really tried with everything.”

Confused, you chuckle, “What?”

“Okay, um…” Clearly, Vernon’s having a hard time finding his words. Reaching out, he holds you by the shoulders, as if he’s a general preparing his soldier for war. “I really tried, babe.”

“Hansol, what on earth are you talking about?” you laugh. This boy is just too cute, even if he’s the biggest weirdo on the planet.

“(Y/N), I know you love Christmas,” he says.

“Yeaaahhhhhh,” you reply, nervously.

Vernon sighs and drops his head. “Well, I tried to decorate the apartment. I wanted to surprise you when you came by today.”

Immediately, your heart skips a beat. “Awww, baby!” You throw your hands up and hold your boyfriend’s face. Diving in for a kiss, you plant one right on his lips. As you pull away, you smile at his pouty face. “That’s so sweet!”

He gently smiles and says, “Yeah, it was supposed to be, but things didn’t really work out right. It’s really bad in there, babe.”

“Awww, sweetie, I don’t care how it looks,” you tell him, pressing your foreheads together. “You’re so sweet to even think to do that.”

Uneasily raising an eyebrow, he says, “Really?”

You laugh and kiss him on the nose. “Of course. You’re so cute. Were you worried that I wouldn’t like it?”

“Baby, you really underestimate how bad it is in there,” Vernon says, pointing behind him.

“Well, however bad it is,” you say as you stare into his beautiful eyes, “I still love you so much.”

With a big smile, he leans down and kisses you again. “I love you too,” he says between your lips.

For a moment, you two get lost in each other, just kissing like it’s the greatest thing in the world. And it very may well be, especially when you find out Vernon’s trying to surprise you. Smiling between each kiss, you feel like you could stay there forever, but you’re both brutally interrupted by the sound of an alarm.

BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!

Pulling yourself away, you worriedly look at Vernon. “What’s that?”

“I have no idea,” he says as he quickly lets you go and opens the door.

Immediately, the alarm gets louder and you can tell it’s the fire alarm going off. A huge cloud of smoke fills the apartment as you hear Seokmin and Seungkwan scream.

“OH MY GOD! I CAN’T BELIEVE I PUT IT UP TOO HIGH OH MY GOD!” Seokmin yells in panic as he frantically pulls a cookie sheet out of the oven. Thankfully, there’s no actually fire, but the cookies are completely burnt and smoking.

All of the members plug their ears as the alarm keeps blaring. “MINGYU, TURN THAT OFF!” Seungcheol screams over it.

Mingyu steps up on the ladder and quickly goes to turn off the fire alarm. But, being the clumsy person he is, he manages to pull the whole thing off in the process. With the incessant beeping gone, Mingyu just stands there with the thing in his hand. “Oops.”

“Are you ting me!” Woozi screams, so done with this kid.

All of a sudden, Seungkwan comes sprinting out of the room with a fire extinguisher. “I’VE GOT IT!” he shouts, as he sprays the tray that Seokmin’s holding onto, getting Seokmin and the counters all around him covered in white fluff.

“SEUNGKWAN!” Seokmin shouts until he stops.

“Hey!” Junhui exclaims as he tosses the cotton balls aside. “That looks way more like snow!”

As the smoke clears, you have no idea what to do first as you finally get to see the “mess” that your boyfriend was so worried about presenting. You see the giant snow globe taking up way too much space and the Christmas tree that’s barely decorated. Tinsel’s drooping from the ceiling and the stockings are clearly about to fall. Only half the lights are on and, for some reason, there are cotton balls all over the ground. But as you’re looking all around at this incredible disaster, Vernon steps in front of you and awkwardly holds out his arms. “Ta-dah!” he says, cracking his voice.

Bursting into laughter, you jump into his arms. “Baby! This is the cutest thing ever!”

Vernon holds you in his arms and smiles. “Do you really think so?”

With a big smile, you tell him, “Anything from you is perfect.”

Flashing his signature grin, Vernon squeezes you even tighter. “God, I love you so much.” Pressing your lips to his, you kiss the boy you love just as much back.

From the kitchen, Seungkwan smiles and watches your cute scene. “Awww.”

But as he leans onto his arm, he accidentally pushes the fire extinguisher and blasts the two of you.

Covered in white foam, both of you immediately scream. “SEUNGKWAN!” Vernon shouts.

Trying to get control of it, Seungkwan yells in a panic, “SORRY! SORRY! I’M SO SORRY!”


AGH HOW VERNON WRECKS ME! AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH GIRL FOR THE REQUEST THIS WAS SO FUN TO WRITE AGH <3 ALL 3 VERNON FICS WERE POSTED TODAY SO CHECK EM OUT OF YOU WANT <3 thanks for reading!!