Dino - Good Timing

13 Days of SEVENTEEN

another song title/album reference, b1a4′s comeback had me in stitches and it inspired this little number here XD ive been noticing a pattern that ive been really enjoying these AU oneshots lol hope you guys like it!

Word count: 1670

Genre: Fluff/Angst? (idk how to categorize this)

Characters: You, Chan, and some other members

 

“CHAN!”

At the sound of his name, Chan spun around. Immediately as he turned, he saw a hacky-sack hurdling towards his face. But just as immediately, and without a flinch, his hand sliced through the air and caught it before it made contact.

“Damn it,” Mingyu said under his breath.

Shaking his head, Minghao showed both his amazement and lack of surprise. “How many times do I have to tell you that’s never gonna work?”

With a smirk, Chan chuckled and threw the projectile back to Mingyu. “Nice try, hyung.”

“Seriously,” Mingyu said, tossing it up a few times as he slumped to sit next to Minghao. “I’ll never understand how you have such good timing.”

Chan grinned and shook his head as he put on his shoes. Clutching his backpack strap in his other hand, he opened the door. “I’ll see you guys later. 6:30.”

“Yeah, we know. And you’ll be right on time,” Mingyu groaned.

“Bye Chan,” Minghao chuckled with a wave.

Waving back, Chan nodded before he closed the door. “See you later.”

For as long as anyone could remember, what Mingyu said was true: Chan had good timing, as in really good timing. Whether it was due to his incredible reflexes or his ability to just always be on time, Chan’s timing was uncanny. He could catch any cup or bottle before it spilled over. He could stop any person before they tripped over the sidewalk. He could get to any appointment on time no matter how bad the traffic was. Even with his words, he knew the right thing to say at the right time. It was almost as if time and space bent to his will, but that just wasn’t true.

Chan always laughed whenever someone brought up his, what they would argue as “super human,” abilities. To him it wasn’t so much a gift as a skill. Over the years of his short life, Chan always had a very strong awareness of everything that happened around him, whether it was in the realm of space or time. He paid attention and he liked to know what was going on around him. He had a way of touching into his senses that other people just didn’t. Obviously, it had helped him a number of times, whether it was getting a paper in at its deadline or saving his friends from spilling hot coffee all over him. He had good timing. That’s all it was. Other people were just so in awe because they didn’t.

Making it down the steps of their apartment, Chan walked out to join the busy street they lived on. Since the three of them didn’t have too much money, they settled for a shabby apartment above the local fruit market. Sometimes it didn’t smell all that great, but the vendors were kind and their kids loved to mess with Chan.

“HYUNG! CATCH ME!” a little boy screamed as he jumped from the top of his dad’s peach stand.

“WOAH!” Chan exclaimed, easily capturing the youngster in his arms. Laughing, he shook him gently as he said, “Soonyoung! You know it’s dangerous every time you do that!”

Filled with excitement, little 8 year-old Soonyoung cheered, “It’s not dangerous cause you always catch me!”

Chan smiled as he put the boy on the ground. Throwing his hands on his hips, he looked down at him and asked, “And what if I don’t catch you?”

Soonyoung opened his mouth to answer, but just then his twin brother, Seungkwan, came running at Chan. “Then the world would explode!”

With a grunt, Chan held Seungkwan in his arms. Standing him back upright, he laughed with the two boys. Ruffling their hair, he smiled and straightened his uniform. “You guys are so dramatic. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Awww! Can’t you play with us?!” Seungkwan asked through his pout.

Backing away down the crowded sidewalk, he answered, “I have school! Maybe some other time!”

“Bye, hyung!” they both shouted as they watched Chan disappear into the mass of people.

Chan looked back to make sure they safely returned to their parent’s shop. Smiling to himself, Chan was prepared to make his usual trip to class. It would take a pretty long bus ride, but he didn’t mind. Busy thinking about what that day’s schedule would consist of, Chan wasn’t paying too much attention to all of the people he passed. It wasn’t until he finally glanced up from the ground did his friend, time, decide to slow everything down.

Chan looked up to find someone he’d never seen before on this familiar street. All of a sudden, he became mesmerized by this girl in a similar school uniform looking at oranges. Chan watched as the world around him came to a halt and the only thing that moved…was you.

Chan’s heart was beating out of his chest as you examined some of the fruit. You were on your way to school and decided to stop by your aunt’s house real quick. You remembered that she loved oranges, so a detour to the fruit vendors seemed like a good idea. But as you’re checking to see which one’s the best, you accidentally knocked one of the oranges off the stand.

And just as suddenly, the world was back in motion. Springing into action, Chan lept forward through the bustling crowd and grabbed the fruit midair. “Woah!” he exclaimed.

Startled, you turned your head to find this stranger standing back up straight. Impressed by those insane reflexes, you smiled, still surprised. “Wow, nice catch!”

Chan laughed and casually tossed the fruit in his hand. “Orange you glad I was here to catch that?” he nervously joked.

Laughing a little more than you should have, you replied, “Abso-fruit-ly.”

Not expecting your quick wit, Chan snorted. Batting the air, he chuckled, “I’m sorry, but that was really bad.”

With a grin, you opened your mouth and pretended to be offended. “And yours was that much better?” you teased.

“Fair point,” he said, gently placing the fruit on the stand and smiling right back. Now a little closer, he was still lost in your presence. His heart was pounding in his ears and he felt his hands get clammy. Chan was in awe at the way you smiled, how your lips curved so elegantly and your teeth peeked out to make your face shine just a little brighter. His eyes couldn’t help but be enchanted with your gentle cheeks and soft eyes. Something about you…was captivating. Obviously, you’re not drop dead gorgeous, but something about your simple beauty was messing with Chan’s head.

“But seriously,” you said, enjoying this charming boy’s banter. “Good timing.”

“No problem,” he said. Trying to get a grip on what was going on, Chan joined you in picking fruit. Glancing over at your uniform again, he asked, “Hey, do you go to Pledis too?”

Looking down yourself, you replied, “Oh yeah! I’m in class 217.”

“317,” Chan said with a nod.

“Nice. Makes sense why I haven’t seen you before.”

“Yeah, you too.” Twisting to face you a little more, Chan stuck out his hand and said, “I’m Chan, by the way.”

“(Y/N),” you replied, taking his soft hand in yours.

“(Y/N),” he repeated, feeling your gentle touch against his palm. He had a cheeky smile as he said your name.

A bit mesmerized yourself, you just kept shaking his hand. “Chan,” you repeated.

It was a good thirty seconds before Chan looked down and realized he was still holding you. Taking his hand back, he nervously laughed. “Uh, (Y/N).”

Amused just by how many times he’d already said your name, you said back, “Yes, Chan.”

Slightly embarrassed, his cheeks flushed a shade of pink. It was weird. Usually, he wasn’t like this. “Are you on your way to school right now?” he asked.

“Yeah, I am, but I’m stopping by my aunt’s house,” you explained, finally finding the right oranges. “Can I pay for these four?” you asked the vendor. He nodded as you handed him the money and stuck the fruit in a plastic bag. Looking back to Chan, you said, “So I’m gonna be a little late.”

Slightly disappointed, Chan knew that wasn’t an option for him. “Ahh, I see.”

You grinned back at him and glanced down at your watch. “I should probably head out now so I’m not too late.”

Saddened that you two couldn’t take the bus together, Chan chuckled and agreed, “Yeah, that’s a good idea.”

You smiled and started to back away towards the cross walk. Your bus stop was across the busy road. “Maybe I’ll start to see you around school now,” you suggested, interested to possibly see such a nice stranger more often.

Thrilled to hear you say that, Chan lit up. “Yeah, definitely.”

“It was nice meeting you, Chan.”

“Nice meeting you too, (Y/N),” he said back, shyly containing his happiness.

With a wave, you turned your back and stepped onto the street.

Filled with this new feeling of warmth, Chan was smiling from ear to ear. He only spoke to you for maybe five minutes, but it felt like so much longer, if that even made sense. Chan had never been struck by somebody like that before, and it was terribly consuming.

Still feeling that high, Chan was about to make his way to his bus stop, when he saw something from the corner of his eye. As you walked away, an orange fell from a slit in the bottom of your grocery bag. Just as quickly as he had before, Chan was there to catch it as it fell. “(Y/N), you dropped—”

But when he lifted his head to find you walking away, his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Chan was frozen as the truck smashed into view. The blaring honking noise echoed in his ears as well as your screams.

For the first time in his life, Chan’s timing was off.


aghhhh hope you guys liked chan day!!! more seventeen tomorrow <3 thanks for reading and thank you for all the sweet comments on my other oneshots coming out these days <3 happy holidays!