Mingyu - A Beautiful Snapshot

13 Days of SEVENTEEN

super late in the night but this one was inspired by something rather different XD so if you guys know wong fu productions, phil posted this photo the other day with a caption that i just thought would make a really great story <3 inspired by that photo here’s another mingyu fic :D

Word count: 1912

Genre: Fluff; AU where Mingyu’s a photographer from the countryside

Characters: You, Mingyu, Seungcheol, Soonyoung, Seungkwan, and Minghao

 

“Come on, country boy,” Seungcheol teased as he held his apartment door open.

Mingyu followed his cousin out as he zipped up his jacket and adjusted the camera hanging around his neck. “Let’s go, city lover.”

Seungcheol smiled as he locked the door and threw his arm over his cousin’s shoulder. Squeezing him affectionately, he lead the way out onto the busy sidewalk. “It that you have to leave tomorrow,” Seungcheol said as they made it through the usual night crowd. “I can’t believe it’s already been two weeks.”

Mingyu smiled and tried to prevent himself from brushing against people, still not used to such large mobs in such close contact. “Thanks for letting me stay with you.” Grinning down at his camera, he added, “I got a lot of good shots.”

As an aspiring photographer, Mingyu was always looking for the chance to shoot different locations. As a “country boy,” he got a lot of great photos of the world’s more natural elements, but he thought it was time to get a closer look at something more urban. It had been years since Mingyu came to Seoul, but he called up his favorite cousin and the boy was more than welcoming. As their last night together, Seungcheol promised him a homemade feast.

“Hyung, you really don’t have to go through all this trouble for me,” Mingyu told him again as they got to the market.

Seungcheol shook his head and maneuvered through the busy stands. “Nothing but the best for you tonight.”

The place was crammed with people. Vendors lined both sides, selling every sort of meat, fruit, vegetable, or food product that Mingyu could think of. And with all these different foods came all the different smells. Simply breathing, Mingyu got a huge whiff of shrimp from one direction and pineapple from another. All of his senses were bombarded. Everyone seemed to be having their own conversation as the place filled with voices and background noise. Markets in the countryside were nothing like this.

Slightly overwhelmed, Mingyu tried to keep close to Seungcheol. “Do you know what you’re getting?”

“Yeah, my friend Soonyoung’s mom owns the butcher shop over here,” he said, turning a few corners. “It shouldn’t take too long.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

After a few more turns and a lot of bumping into strangers, Seungcheol stopped in front of a meat stand. Smiling, he called out to the boy about their age wrapping some pork. “Soonyoung!”

Soonyoung flicked his head up and smiled back. After handing the meat to the customer and taking their payment, he went to properly greet his friend. “Seungcheol! What’s up man?”

Seungcheol grinned and gestured to Mingyu. “I’m cooking for my cousin tonight and wanted to get some good meat.”

Nodding, Soonyoung took off his bloody, plastic glove and eagerly stuck out his hand. “Nice to meet you! I’m Soonyoung!” He spoke slightly louder just so Mingyu could hear him over the crowd.

Mingyu smiled and leaned forward, shaking his hand. “Mingyu! Nice to meet you too.”

Directing his attention back to Seungcheol, Soonyoung asked, “So what kind of meat are you looking for?”

“Mmm, what’s the best meat you got?” Seungcheol excitedly asked.

Soonyoung chuckled and gestured to the back. “If you come in the back, you can pick the exact cut and everything you want.”

Rubbing his hands together, Seungcheol replied, “That sounds good to me!” Turning over, he asked his cousin, “You okay here by yourself for a bit?”

Mingyu glanced around at the hustle bustle of the night market. It was strange and different, but it was quite beautiful. Clutching his camera, he nodded. “I’ll be good.”

Seungcheol smiled and patted him on the back before he disappeared through the back door with Soonyoung.

Left to himself, Mingyu silently watched everybody move past him. Lifting his camera, he proceeded to do the same through his lens, snapping a shot every time he encountered something beautiful.

Turning to the left, he saw an elderly couple eating noodles from an old ramen stand.

Snap!

Turning to the right, he saw some kids drawing with sticks in the dirt as their parents bargained for a handbag.

Snap!

Turning forward, he saw you.

Snap!

Glancing down at the new picture, Mingyu realized he just captured a fish stand. The front counter was clear and, in that moment, nobody had walked into frame. All around were signs of what was sold there. Tuna, trout, cod at all different prices were listed on various signs. A board with the store’s fax number hung in the left corner. A display case with different buns and pastries was on the right. But the thing that stood out the most in such a simple shot…was you.

You wore a plaid button down that you didn’t mind getting dirty as well as a tan apron around your waist. Hair tied back, you were preparing a new bucket of fish to put out when this stranger took your picture. Still unaware, you just continued about your work.

“Seungkwan!” you called out.

Quickly, your coworker came out from the back. Reeking of the same fishy smell as you, he asked, “Whatcha need?”

You put down the cleaver you were holding and pushed over the wooden bucket. “This should be good. Put it around front where people can see it best.”

“Gotcha,” Seungkwan easily responded.

Wiping your brow, you sighed. “Thanks,” you said with a gentle smile.

Lugging the bucket away, Seungkwan smiled. “No problem.”

As you started scrubbing down your work space, Minghao trudged out from the back. “Incoming!”

Turning around, you quickly moved aside as Minghao placed a giant tub of fresh fish in front of you. Seeing the new batch, you sighed and looked at him. “Let me guess…”

You didn’t even have to say anything. He nodded. “Need to be cleaned, descaled, and gutted.”

Forcing a smile, you replied, “Lucky me.”

Knowing how rough this was, Minghao chuckled. “It could be a lot worse. We could be dealing with live stingrays again.”

Coming back around, Seungkwan groaned. “Oh god, don’t remind me about that.”

“That was a nightmare,” you said as you got back to work. Some of the fish were still alive, but you’d gotten used to such dirty work. Thankfully your human company was pretty entertaining.

“I nearly lost my hand,” Seungkwan added.

“I’d take bass over that anyday,” Minghao commented, wiping his hands on his already filthy jeans.

Smiling to yourself, you shook your head and were prepared to scrape your hands against the fishes’ rough scales when…

“Excuse me.”

Flicking your head, you found yourself looking into the eyes of an incredibly handsome stranger. He was tall and tan, wearing a dark coat and a soft expression. He held a camera as he addressed you.

“Yes, how can I help you?” you politely asked, always hoping to make a sale. You didn’t work off commission, but it was helpful for the store.

Mingyu lightly grinned and replied, “Actually, I’m not buying anything, but…um…” Gently, he leaned his camera over and showed you the picture. “I took this…from that other stand….and I just wanted to tell you…” Nervously finding his words, he said, “…you and your work look beautiful here.”

Staring at this simplistically gorgeous photo, you couldn’t believe that you were looking at yourself…at work. It was so strange to see that dinky fish stand so…artsy. It was like a picture out of a magazine, but you were in it.

Stunned, you were speechless. Glancing up, you found the stranger still staring down at the picture, smiling at the shot he’s managed to get. For a moment, you’re frozen in confusion and dazed from his presence.

But luckily Minghao and Seungkwan were there to look over your shoulder and bring you back. “(Y/N), are you trying to model here?” Seungkwan teased, jabbing you in the ribs.

“Wow, I didn’t know you tried to look so good when you cut fish,” Minghao joked before they both turned to go.

Blushing slightly, you looked over and the stranger was now meeting your gaze. Scratching your neck, you asked, “You took this?”

Embarrassed himself, Mingyu weakly chuckled. “Yeah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…get you in it. But, it turned out so nice, I thought you’d want to see it.”

Blinking back at him, you finally smiled. Part of you was embarrassed cause your photo was taken. The other part was embarrassed because you agreed with him; the picture was really nice.

“Well, thank you,” you said softly.

Mingyu nodded. Looking down at the picture again, he said, “I have to say, your work here really looks beautiful.”

That last comment caught you off guard. With a scoff, you asked, “What?”

Mingyu smiled up at you. “What you’re doing here…is quite something. I don’t know how to explain it, but just you and all the fish and everything around you make for a beautiful picture.” Normally, Mingyu wasn’t this forward when speaking to people, but a picture had a thousand words, and he wanted to share those with anyone who would appreciate them.

You flushed another shade of pink. Raising an eyebrow at this really strange person, you asked, “You think what I do is beautiful?”

“You probably don’t hear that a lot, do you?” Mingyu asked back.

“Definitely not,” you chuckled.

Pleased to know that he was able to capture such an underrated beauty, Mingyu said, “Well, I think they’re just not seeing it all in the right frame.”

For a moment, neither of you spoke. The white noise of people talking and moving filled the background as you stood in your comfortable silence.

Mingyu couldn’t help but admire you, the beautiful girl in his beautiful shot. He didn’t say this part out loud, but out of the thousand of sights he had seen in the past two weeks, you were the most stunning. Standing before you, his heart was racing and that part he couldn’t describe.

Finally breaking the trance, Mingyu cleared his throat and said, “Ummm, I wanted to show you the picture and, uh, I wanted to ask if you wanted me to send it to you.”

“Oh,” you said, not expecting that. But the prospect of having the only picture that captured beauty in your work was a nice one. “Yeah, actually,” you said with a smile. “Can you send it to me?”

Mingyu smiled and nodded, taking out his phone. “Sure thing.” But as he unlocked it, he realized something. Sticking out his hand, he said, “I’m Mingyu by the way.”

You were about to reach out and shake his hand when you saw all the fish blood on your palm. “Oh! Uhh…” Looking around, you grabbed the nearest napkin and wrapped your hand in it. Gently taking his hand, you shook it. “I’m (Y/N).”

Amused by the napkin that separated you two from touching, Mingyu chuckled. Handing you his phone, he said, “Nice to meet you, (Y/N). And uh…” Shyly, he nodded and said, “Thank you for letting me capture your beauty.”

Feeling your heartbeat against your chest, you’re overwhelmed by this stranger. Mingyu was sweet and caring, so different from so many people you met working at the fish stand. Never before had you met someone who recognized your beauty the way he did. And it made you smile. “Thank you…for sharing it with me.”


hope you guys liked that and more tomorrow!!! <3 happy holidays and thanks for reading