Thirty Eight

Day&Night (Wonho Fanfic)

SeolHyun's POV

 

I look my father in the eye as I just stand there. I'm stunned by all the feelings I'm having towards him. One side of me is happy to see him and to know there is at least one family member that cares for me. The other side of me tells me to be careful of him and watch what he does. That side is probably the one Wonho has awakened in me. He's my voice of reason in turbulent times. Speaking of which, he's been holding my hand and squeezing it tightly, like he's scared or something. 

"I'm SeolHyun" I state simply and my father just smiles and nods a little. It seems like he's really happy to see me. It pains me to see how much we look alike. Even my eyes are the same as his. All these years I've wondered why my mother and I didn't look alike and now I know why. It's because I look like my father the most. I just never had a chance to see that until now. 

"You're so beautiful", he says with some tears in his eyes. It almost makes me want to cry too. Wonho pulls me a bit more towards him. 

"I'm Wonho, her boyfriend", he says in a firm voice. My father's gaze switches over to him and he takes him in. Then he smiles at Wonho too. 

"I heard you're her childhood friend. I want to thank you for taking care of her while I had no idea of what was going on or even about having a child", he says in a heavy voice. I can feel all the emotions going through him because they're going through me too. I'm so confused by everything. 

"It was my pleasure. Someone had to take care of her while she was all alone", Wonho presses on. I pull on his hand to make him back off. My father hasn't done anything wrong, yet. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

"I'm so sorry", he turns towards me again with watery eyes. "If I had known... I would've come back for you. I swear. When my brother showed me a picture of you I knew instantly. There was no doubt in heaven that you're mine. After the DNA test all I wanted to do was come to you, but he held me back. Told me you were scarred and needed some time..." 

"He was right", I say without even thinking too much. The president knew about my problems and knew that I was damaged goods. I never thought about myself like that, but now I really see it. I am damaged and need patching up. 

"Sit down", my father says, trying to swallow the lump in his throat. I finally wake up, out of my daze and shake my head to clear it. Then we both, Wonho and I, walk over to the chairs on the side of the room. We both sit down, Wonho's hand never leaving mine. He is a real comfort right now, keeping me grounded. 

"So how does this go?" I ask and my father holds up his hands. 

"I have no idea. I guess we catch up or something?" he says, hesitant. I nod in agreement. It's weird that this stranger in front of me shares the same blood as me. "Where do we start?" 

I smile a little, it's the first one to escape my lips since walking into this room. He smiles back at me and we begin talking. Somewhere in the middle of all of it, Doctor Kim and the president leave the room. They try taking Wonho with them, but he doesn't budge. He feels protective over me and I kind of get it. He was the only male figure in my life, the only one to take care of me. He's not about to give up that place to a complete stranger who can just be here to take advantage of the whole situation. 

"So what kind of role do you intend to take up now you're here?" Wonho asks out of the blue. We were having a good conversation, my father and me. Wonho has been sitting here, just watching and listening to everything. 

"I intend to finally be a father to SeolHyun if she wants me to", he says and looks me in the eye. My body screams yes, I finally want a father to take care of me. 

"And what if she says no?" Wonho asks, totally stepping out of line right now. Is he really that concerned? Or is he just afraid he won't be the only person in my life anymore? 

"Wonho, this is my decision", I say in a hushed voice. 

"Then I will disappear", my father says. "I can understand why she wouldn't want to be in contact with me. I do hope she wants me to be her father as much as I want to be her father."

"I just need some time. But I do want to keep on talking with you", I say a little shy. This whole thing has me thrown off. Wonho starts getting up and wants me to follow but I stay put. "I want to talk alone for a little while." 

He looks positively hurt by my words. It's clear he didn't see this coming at all. What is so wrong with wanting to talk alone with the person that is my father? And Wonho is being a little rude towards him. I do understand where it's coming from, but still. 

"Fine. I'll be in my room", he says with a big sigh and leaves the room with a slamming door. Typical Wonho move. Whenever he is mad, he wants everyone to know. And I'm sure the whole damn hotel knows right now. He'll never change when it comes to that. 

"He seems like a nice kid. He's concerned about you..." my father says and I nod. 

"It's always just been him and me, growing up." After that we both start talking again. 

 

Wonho's POV

I leave the room and head back to mine. I've had it for today. I am in love with the girl, but she is shutting me out. Was it because I was too aggressive towards her father? Was it because I don't trust him? Is it wrong not to trust the guy? He comes waltzing into her life and tries to take over the role I had for such a long time. Why does he get to do that? I had to fight for her trust and he just gets it? To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. 

I close the door to my room, not slamming it like I did with the other one. Man, I need to grow up. I want to be more like an adult, but sometimes I revert to my old ways way too much. It makes me feel bad about what I just did in the other room. I absolutely hate being alone because I think way too much. Why do I want to protect her so much? She can stand on her own two feet. But it's always just been the two of us, together, and now he comes in and threatens everything we ever had. Or have. 

I pace the room. From side to side. What are they talking about? Is it going better because I'm not there? Are they talking about me? God, it's driving me crazy just thinking about it. I want to be there; I need to be there. I need to be with her. And this is where I sound completely pathetic. Why does she have this hold on me? 

I try to concentrate on other stuff and text my members. They seem to be on a little holiday too. We have to get back by tomorrow though, which makes me sad. I'll have to leave everything that happened here behind. I can't be carefree with SeolHyun anymore. We can't see each other all the time anymore. Soon I'm having another comeback and so will she. There's no doubt about that at all. I'm going to miss this more than I probably should. My president will never agree to this. We have a dating ban and it will last for the coming years. 

Some of the members finally get back to me. I feel relieved to have something else to focus on. Changkyun is the first one to answer. Apparently he's back home too. He tells me about how he's enjoying the time off and hates that it's coming to an end. Not that he hates seeing us or something. That's not the case at all, he says. I leave him alone after hearing everything since h should have some more time to spend with his family. I'll see him soon enough. 

Apparently HyunWoo is still at our dorms. He doesn't go home that much, but uses the time off to prepare some more for our next comebacks. He likes being prepared. That's why he gets back to me so soon, too. He's been practicing some new dance that'll go with our comeback. He's heard the song too. I can't wait for us to start practicing again, but that means I'll have to leave here soon. 

It's been almost 2 full hours since I left that room. SeolHyun is still in there talking, probably. Maybe he left already? I walk down the corridor to put my ear to the door. Yes, I've become this desperate and creepy. I can hear voices inside of the room. That means they're still talking. Jezus, what do they still need to talk about? They'll have plenty of time to get to know each other in the future. Right now I want to spend time with my girlfriend for the time I have left. Which isn't that long. When we get back, we'll have to sneak around again. I don't want to resort to those type of things again, but I'm still forbidden to date. Girls would go crazy if they ever found out. A lot of them like me for my body... 

The door opens suddenly, I'm still leaning against it and fall into someone's arms. I look up and see it's SeolHyun, looking at me with a weird expression. I straighten up and clear my throat. 

"Wonho?" she asks and looks at me from head to toe. 

"I was just here to ask if you were done... I thought we could do some stuff today.." I try to make it sound more casual than it is. She knows me too well and knows this is a lie. 

"Well, my father is just leaving. So I'm free", she tells me and then turns to face her dad. "I'll call you tomorrow." He just nods towards her and me and then takes off. She watches him walk off before turning her attention to me again. "You were totally just spying on me." I can hear her accusing tone and smile a little. 

"Fine, I was. I'm just worried about you..." This I say in a lower voice because I'm a bit embarrassed to say it at all. 

"I'm really touched that you're looking out for me", she smiles and then pecks my lips. I feel like it's never enough when she does that. Every single time she pecks my lips, I want to pull her in close and kiss her the way she deserves to be kissed. I have to restrain myself from doing that now since we're in the middle of the hallway. If people see us it won't end well. 

"You know how much I care about you", I whisper into her ear and drag her along with me to my room. "We have to get ready." 

"To leave? Already?" she's pouting now, I can't see her face but I know for sure. She always pouts whenever she has to do something she doesn't like. 

"No, I'm taking you somewhere else before going back", I grin at her and she grins back. "Let's go on a date."