Chapter 28

With and Without Oh Sehun

For the rest of the day, I felt out of place as if I hadn't been at school for years when it's really only been about a month. I somehow couldn't remember what I usually did to keep myself busy during break and lunch, and therefore walked around the school like some lost child. I first went to the girl's restroom with the goal to stay in there for some good period of time, but was quickly driven out within just minutes. It wasn't noticeably dirty nor had an unpalatable smell, but just the thought of staying in a place where people repeatedly did their business wasn't pleasant to the mind at all. How in the world did I manage to stay in there before?

The next place that came in mind was my locker, but for sure I wasn't going there since I didn't need anything, but also mainly because I was still uneasy about what happened this morning. Meeting Satan first things first in the morning wasn't the best way to start my first day back, and learning just seconds after that Sehun was using his locker again made it even worst. Despite how chilly it was outside and the weird looks that I was receiving from teachers when I walked out the doors, I decided that hanging outside was probably my best bet for now. 

Nothing much really happened for the rest of the day either. Irene and Sehun were still avoiding each other like how ex-lovers would usually do. Satan was still as cold as ever so I just tried my best to not trigger his satanic side. Baekhyun was still loud as usual which caused him to receive a warning from the irritated Mrs. Lee. So yeah, same old same old. 

School was finally over and it felt like I was trapped in prison for years when I walked out the school's main doors. Usually I would storm to the bus stop with the relief of being away from this place, but that unfortunately wasn't going to happen today. Kyungsoo informed me last minute to stay after school so we can go over some things and catch up on class materials to make sure that I was back on track, so it was like a short tutoring session I guess. 

I entered the room and took a seat without much thought, thinking that this was only going to take an hour or so before I could leave. However, I could feel steam boiling inside of me when my bottom was placed on this seat for about 10 long minutes now.

"So who exactly are we waiting for?" I finally asked with annoyance.

"You'll see when he comes," Kyungsoo brushed off. "But just take it easy. He's not being late on purpose."

I heaved out a sigh of slight irritation and began to click my pen away as a way to keep myself busy. Just seconds after, I wasn't sure of what to feel or do when I heard footsteps enter the room which I'm assuming belonged to this person that was causing me to become impatient. However, the moment I laid eyes on this person, I realized that I should've never taken those few minutes of his absence for granted. 

His brown and flat hair bounced as he limped his way into the room, and right away my heart jumped when his eyes met mines. So this is the other person that I was going to have a short tutoring session with?! Just what the heck was Kyungsoo thinking to put us in a room together like this?! With the way Sehun's eyes shot up a little when he saw me, he must have been as shocked and clueless about seeing me here. He slowly took a seat with hesitation that was thankfully one chair away from me, but even so I wished there was at least ten chairs in between us. 

Kyungsoo went on to blabber about things that I didn't care to listen to, primarily because I still couldn't believe that he would do this. He knows about the situation between Sehun and I, so couldn't he have found a separate time to meet up with each of us? Yeah maybe I was being a little childish and blowing things out of proportion, but all I wanted was just a calm and relaxing moment to end my first day of being back. I for sure know that Sehun was thinking the same thing with the way he was awkwardly sitting in his chair and staring at the table and nodding his head as if he was listening to the class president. 

There's no need to describe how I felt for the next half hour since it should be pretty obvious by now. My notebook was filled with scribbles of gibberish and nonsense as a way to keep myself busy from thinking about the pot hole that I was in. I think he was also doing the same, but I wasn't exactly too sure since I was keeping my head at an angle where I wouldn't be able to see him the slightest bit. And just when I thought Kyungsoo was finally going to have the decency to end our misery and wrap everything up, things just got even worst when he stepped outside to take a phone call. Really? He couldn't have waited until after he was done with us to take it? 

Now I was alone in the room with my ex-boyfriend who I just wanted to be the furthest away from. I began to scribble even harder on my notebook to try and act as if I was concentrating on my horrible drawing so therefore he shouldn't bother me. My body was even starting to slightly heat up with every minute passing by with no sign of the class president returning anytime soon. I had even begun to cite in my head of what I was going to say to him when this was all over. However, I slightly jumped in my seat when my thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a voice that I have no heard from for a while now. 

"Sorry about my mom."

What . . . ? I sat still in my seat like an idiot and said nothing as I stared at him. I guess I was just taken aback to see him talk so suddenly, or to be more exact, be the one to initiate a conversation. I just thought that if someone was to break this silence and utter a word, then it would have been me for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, his eyes was still fixed on his notebook as his hand continued to scribble around. Part of his eyes was covered by his bangs. "I already told her several times to stop bothering you, but I don't know why she can't seem to listen."

I took a quick second to think about his words before finally processing it. "Oh- Uh- No. It's fine." I stuttered. 

He finally lifted his head and brought his hazel eyes to look at me which only caused this weird feeling in my stomach to form along with a jump in my heartbeat. I quickly looked elsewhere because of how caught off guard I was by this sudden eye contact. It then went silent for the next few seconds that rather felt like it was years, and I wasn't too sure if I preferred it to be this way or not. I mean I wouldn't mind this silence and would rather gladly appreciate it if he didn't suddenly start talking out of nowhere. Now we were debating if we should allow this silence to resume or fill it in, or at least that's what I was thinking about. 

"So- how's your back doing?" He suddenly asked with a brief pause in between his words. His deep voice still as monotone as always.

"Oh- Uh. Fine, I guess," I didn't mean to sound rude, but I wasn't expecting him to say another word, or better yet, ask about my back. To be quite honest, I wasn't even sure if people knew that I was gone for a month because I had to get surgery for my back. So I was a little confused as to how he knew about my back, and maybe he might have learned it from his mom, but that only brought me back around into a circle with the question of how she found out about my surgery in the first place. Yeah, I'm being a little complicated. 

It then went silent again and the atmosphere was quickly filled with awkwardness. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to ask something back out of courtesy, but I really didn't want to carry on a conversation with my ex-boyfriend and rather just get out of here. Speaking about getting out of here, where in the world was Kyungsoo? 

I then brought my attention back to Sehun since it seemed like it was going to be years until Kyungsoo returned. Should I ask something back? What exactly do I ask or say in return? About his leg and what caused him to injure it? But was that really any of my busin-

"Sorry about that guys." 

A feeling of relief quickly filled me when I heard Kyungsoo's voice which assured me that I didn't need to ask Sehun a question after all. Kyungsoo went on to a say a few more things before finally ending this meeting with us, but I was a little ticked off over the fact that I had to stay in the room alone with my ex-boyfriend only for the class president to say a few useless words before excusing us. But I decided to not care about it now and just focus on getting to the bus stop. 

I stormed out before Sehun could even finish zipping up his backpack, and continued to walk at a fast pace . . . or at least I tried to with this back of mine. But I eventually concluded that there was no point of rushing myself since I confirmed that he was nowhere in sight behind me, and plus, he wouldn't be able to walk fast anyways with his injured foot. Thankfully enough and much to my relief, he didn't show up at the bus stop too and must have hitched a ride with someone else. Or did he by chance miss the bus- Nevermind that Han Areum. It's none of your concern. I just still couldn't believe that one of the first occurences on my day back was being stuck in a room alone with my ex-boyfriend who just oddly enough went on to strike a "conversation". It was just weird to be exact since after all this time he didn't seem like the type to start a conversation with his ex-girlfriend. Doesn't he want to avoid me as much as I want to avoid him? 

Regardless, I was now heading to my dad's work place instead of home because of my mom who was being super complicated and dramatic. She didn't trust me walking home alone or staying home alone because of this back of mines that was still healing, and eventually I was left with no choice but to give in to her constant bickering. According to her, you just never know when the bad people would target you, and she didn't want to risk it with the condition I was in. I just had to stick through with this for a week or two thankfully. 

I entered the police station and right away was taken aback by how chaotic the atmosphere was. Cops were rushing back and forth, and there was a lot of yelling that was surfacing in the room which only meant one thing- some type of crime was committed and they were put on the case to act right away. In the meantime, I was trying my best to spot my dad and tell him that I was here before he could go on to do his job. After what seemed like a few mere seconds, he spotted me first and gave me a kiss, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't startled by how panicked and rushed he looked. I then told him that I would be hanging out by his desk and he should continue on with his work, and with that he gave me another kiss before disappearing from the room. 

Within the next few seconds, I was completely surprised by how quiet and empty the room got. Just seconds ago everybody was rushing back and forth, but now there was nothing but complete silen-

"What are you doing here?"

I quickly turned my head to see who it was, and immediately was met with shock and possibly even a small case of a heart attack. Yoongi? I took a quick moment to study him from his head to his toe and wasn't sure of what to feel or think about his janitor uniform along with this mop in his hand. "Do you . . . work here now?"

"Well yeah," he replied to my question that I've come to realize how stupid it sounded. "What are you doing here?"

I gulped for some weird reason. "My dad works here so I'm going to be stopping by everyday after school now until he's done."

He nodded his head with a disinterest look, making me wonder why I even took the time to explain it to him. "Well you might want to make yourself comfortable then, I guess. You're going to be here for a while."

"What? Why?"

"Haven't you heard? Some kid just got abducted,"

Ahhhh. So that's why the station was so chaotic just minutes ago and my dad was in a rush. Child abduction are cops' top priorities. I clicked out from my thought and turned my attention back to Satan. "Alright. I guess I'll get out of your way then." I did as I said and walked over to my dad's desk before making myself comfortable, or at least tried to.

Meanwhile, Satan continued mopping the floor and I couldn't help but steal a couple glances at him. The thought never occurred to me that I would ever see him work at the police station, a place I'm assuming he comes to often. Just how did he land a job here? And as much as I was uncomfortable to be in a room alone with Satan, I decided to keep to myself. You've known him long enough to know what he likes and doesn't like. So therefore this should be easy Han Areum. Keep yourself busy while he keeps to himself and you'll be out of here in no time. 

I spent the next hour and a half listening to music and working on my homework, but eventually my eyes gave up and I knocked out on my dad's desk. Suddenly, I slurped my drool out of habit and quickly wiped off the remaining on my mouth when I felt a hand behind my back along with my dad's voice. 

"Areum sweetie. Wake up. It's getting late."

I blinked hard a few times and turned to look at my dad with squinted eyes. "Is it time to go?"

"I'm going stay a little bit longer. You head home first with Yoongi. I'll see you later." He gave me a smudge on my forehead before quickly rushing away to another room. 

I looked over at the clock and saw that it was almost half past 9, yet the station was still so busy. But wait, hold up. Let me back up here for a second. I was still half asleep when my dad spoke to me just seconds ago, but did he . . . say that I should head home with Yoon-

"You ready?"

I quickly turned to look at who spoke, and saw Satan staring right at me who was in his school uniform and had his backpack hanging on his left shoulder. "Wh-what?" I stuttered. 

He let out a sigh. "Are you deaf? If you're ready then let's go. It's getting late." He turned the other way before I could utter another word of confusion.

I quickly stuffed my things into my backpack without any further delay and stormed off after him who was already out the door. His right eyebrow was perked up and he let out another sigh when I ran through those doors looking like a mess. Was I that much of an inconvenience? 

"I could just walk home by myself you know," I muttered as I threw my backpack over my shoulder. 

He sniggered. "And what happens if you become the next victim to be abducted? Yeah, I rather not take my chances. Plus, I need the extra money." He turned around and began walking before I could say anything. 

He needed the extra money? "Wait, is my dad paying you just to walk me home?" I asked as I followed him closer than I meant to. 

"Of course. I'm still technically working right now if I have to you home. Plus, he knows I wouldn't do it if there wasn't a reward."

I rolled my eyes at the back of his head and gave him a dirty frown for only assuring my safety for extra money. I'd rather take my chances of walking home alone this late at night than having him "" me. I grabbed on tightly to the straps of my backpack and picked up my pace to walk ahead of him. "I won't tell my dad so you could just go."

However, I was slightly taken aback by surprise when I felt a tug on my backpack that prevented me from walking any further, and with that I heard another one of Satan's sigh. "Can you stop being a pain in the a*s for once and just do as you're told? I don't wanna get the blame if something does end up happening to you."

I took a moment to think through of what he said and eventually pulled through to not be a pain, also because I knew that I shouldn't awaken his santanic side at this late at night. We took the bus together but sat away from each other of course. After a near 15 minute ride, we got off at my stop and continued keeping to ourselves. He was walking behind me while listening to his music that I could hear, and for a second I wondered what was the point of him even having earphones if he was going to basically blast it.

But throughout the course of this walk home, I came to a late realization of how dumb I was back at the station. I wanted to get home as quick as possible, but my back was feeling a little sore that was making me walk a little weird and slower than usual. I should've known better than to slouch over onto my dad's desk for a few hours, better yet, sleep like that. 

Just then, I flinched to the sound of Satan's voice abruptly calling my name, and I turned around to look at him where I saw him standing a few feet away from the convenience store. "I'm going to grab something to eat really quick." He then went inside before I could oppose or even move a muscle. 

Really? I just wanted to get home since it was getting late and my back was starting to act up a bit, but he wanted to stop by and get something to eat? Couldn't he wait until after he dropped me off? Nonetheless with reality kicking in, there was nothing I could so I followed him inside. However, I entered a little state of panic when I remembered that this was the same store he got wrongly accused of stealing last time. Was the owner going to have a problem with him being here? However, very much to my surprise, the owner only gave him a quick glance before casually going on to do her own things, as if she had nothing against him and he wasn't the same kid she had issues with before.

Seeing that I might be here for a while, I paid for a bottle of orange juice and a box of the same Choco Pies that I received at the hospital that one time from some mysterious person, and then sat down on the counter in front of the window. I still don't know who gave me those bag of candies, and sort of gave up on finding out who it was since Kyungsoo wouldn't budge a word, but whoever it was kind of saved my life. I never knew how convenient they could be during a time of hunger, and I guess stopping here for a while wasn't all that bad since it gave me some time to rest. 

Just then, I heard a chair to the side of me screech as it was pulled back before someone sat on it. Satan placed his ramen on the counter in front of him and gave it a few blows before devouring it down like he hadn't eaten for days, although in all fairness, he did spend the last few hours cleaning a police station. However, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't drooling on the inside with the way he was slurping his noodles, and the fact that the smell was going right through my nose wasn't making my stomach any happier. 

I quickly took down a gulp of my orange juice and took a bite of my Choco Pie, but that wasn't really working against the mouth drooling smell of Satan's ramen. Meanwhile, at the corner of my eye I could see him let out a mockful snicker for whatever reason which only caused me to feel a little annoyed. I was now starting to regret buying these Choco pies instead of a bowl of ramen.

Realizing that I should just it up, I placed my arms on the counter and slouched forward to rest my chin on top of it while staring out the window. I decided to do a game of counting how many humans or cars were passing by, and so far only one car has. After a few more minutes with only two more cars passing by, I concluded that this "game" wasn't really all that great and was rather putting me to sleep. Just what should I do with myself then while Satan-

"Shouldn't you know better than to be sitting like that?" 

I turned to look in all different directions before finally turning to look at the only one that I hadn't looked at, but that was because I didn't think the person to my right would be the one saying that. But very much to my disbelief, I was wrong because he was the only one around me. 

I immediately sat up straight like some soldier who was given orders, and even cleared my throat for whatever reason. Meanwhile, he was still casually slurping on his noodles and letting out a breath because of how hot it was making his mouth. I just thought it was a little weird how it was him who told me to not be slouching, which for one thing he was right. But how did he know? The fact that he said this must have meant that he knew about my back, but I had surely thought that not many, especially Satan, knew about it. He just didn't seem like the type to care about others, but what am I saying? He isn't. Or maybe I was just wrong about this whole thing and he just had something against slouching.

Regardless, for the rest of the time until he was done eating, I sat up perfectly straight to his liking while finishing the box of Choco pies. No other words were exchanged. Just plain silence, and of course a glint of suffocation because I didn't know what to do with myself while waiting for him. 

It was just weird overall too. I was ending my night with someone who I'd thought would be the last person that my dad would want to have "" me home. 

  

~End of Chapter 28~

 


Author's Note: Sorry for not updating for a while now. As usual school got in the way. Since it's been about more than a month now, I kind of lost my place in the story despite reading it through again. So I apologized if things do not flow well for now and it's a little "choppy".

On the other hand, I'm getting a little excited though about what's going to come soon! :D Aside from that, thank you for reading!