Chapter 14

With and Without Oh Sehun

Even though there was no tutoring today, I stayed after school to inform my teachers about my surgery and what should be done in advance in regards to homework and notes during the time that I will be gone. I couldn't give them an exact date of my surgery yet because we still haven't been informed about it by my doctor, but all I know is that I should prepare for it and expect it to be here soon. We didn't go into much details yet, but they overall said for me not to worry about it for now and only focus on resting for my surgery. I was kind of thankful that they said that which took off a lot of weight from my shoulders. Sure I was scared and worried about the surgery, but the thought of also falling behind in school also contributed to the anxiety and stressful state that I was in. I also informed Kyungsoo just because I thought it was important for him to know in which I hope he would be willing to help me catch up after recovering. 

When I was done doing what I needed to do, I decided to stay in the library instead of heading home right away just because I needed to catch up on the stacks of homework after being absent for the last few days. However, I realized that regardless of where I studied, I wasn't going to get really far. Everytime I tried to read a sentence or solve a math problem, I was immediately distracted by the conversation that I heard in class earlier regarding the "hung over" Oh Sehun. 

I would then shake my head and even pinch my cheeks to wake myself up and focus on the important things right now. I was falling behind in class, therefore Oh Sehun should be the least of my concern at the moment. I then decided to rest my eyes for a few minutes, although I have no idea why I felt so tired and exhausted when I had plenty of time to sleep in and rest for the past few days.

But before I knew it, I flinched abruptly to the sound of a chair being pulled and screeching loudly against the floor. Sh*t. I fell asleep longer than I expected! I quickly sat up and looked at my phone in a hurry, only to have a breath of "aish" come out of me along with a bang to the head on the table.

I was now dragging my feet against the sidewalk along with a childish pout while yelling at myself for being so stupid and careless. I should have known better than to close my eyes for a "few minutes". I should have at least set my alarm too just to be extra careful because now look at what I was doing! Walking home like an idiot because I overslept and missed the bus, and now the sun was setting and I was not willing to wait another hour or more for the next bus. My house isn't the closest here but it's still a walkable distance, so I guess I can just stop being a baby and grab something to eat along the way home to make this worth it. 

I decided to make a quick stop at a bakery shop that I used to always go to but haven't been able to due to my hectic life. I greeted the old lady who owns the shop with a bright smile where she also greeted me back with a high pitched voice and even a tight hug. I guess you can say that I was one of her favorite customers. She asked me about how I was doing and if this was my last year of high school. I then asked her how she was doing and how was her shop running, along with how her kids were doing. However, my smile turned into a crooked and hesitant one when she asked where the tall and handsome guy that was always with me was. With an awkward smile and chuckle, I told her that we were no longer together in which she let out a horrible and guilty expression, but I reassured her that it was fine.

After catching up with her longer than I had expected and getting a free meal, I decided to head home this time since it was getting dark and I didn't like the idea of walking home alone, especially with this back of mines. I hastened my steps, but not too fast where it would look like I was being stalked or something. It was getting pretty cold too and I was still in my school uniform. For once, I wish I was a boy who had the privilege of wearing pants. 

I let out a frown everytime I thought about revealing to the bakery owner lady that I was no longer with Sehun. It must have been new and different for her to only see me there since it used to always be me and Sehun before. It also felt different and weird for me in a way, but there was nothing that I could do. 

Just as I was walking and keeping my mind busy, I clicked back into reality and squinched my eyes to flashing bright lights that were not too far from me. Something must have happened. I kept my eyes on whatever was going on, but I couldn't get an exact idea of what was happening since there was a small crowd forming, not to mention that it was also pretty dark and the only thing I could really see was the bright flashing sirens. I then moved away from the sidewalk and walked around the situation while still keeping my eyes locked. Hey, I can't help it. I'm human after all. But just as I was making my way around, I came to a sudden halt and was hit with great shock when I spotted familiar faces within the center of the crowd.

Sehun...? Chanyeol...? Irene...? Jongin...? And many more? What were they doing here? What did they do that got them involved with the cops? But wait, I don't know if it's just me or the darkness, but what was up with some of their faces?! Is that blood I see-

But before I could ask myself anymore questions, I was interrupted by a loud and rather unsettling noise of what seemed like someone or something was being slammed. I quickly turned my head to where this was taking place, and was met with even more shock when I saw yet another familiar face being slammed against a car while a cop was aggressively locking his arm behind his back.

Yoongi...? And just like the others, his face was also bruised with small blood spots around his mouth and cheek bones. Just what the heck of going on?! Why were they all here along with the cops with bruised up faces? Why do they all look messed up? Why does Sehun and the others seem unhappy, and even pissed?! Why was Yoongi getting arrested? 

And suddenly, it then hit me. They got into an actual fight this time. That's the only thing that would explain why everyone and everything look the way it is. There's no other reason why they would all have wounds on their faces, and are now dealing with the cops. There's no other reason why they would be at the same place like this. But as to how things escalated to this and what caused the fight, I only wished that I didn't stop by the bakery earlier in order to have an idea. 

And just like before, I took another detour to the police station instead of heading straight home because of how curious yet confused I was about everything. Although this was really none of my business, I could not help but feel curious about what happened and what was now going to happen. 

The moment I took a few steps into the station, my ears were met by a low and loud manly voice which I'm assuming was from one of the cops who was at the scene earlier. "What are a buncha of kids doing out so late for on a school night? Do you not have school, huh?" He seemed rather irritated and pissed to have to deal with this kind of situation with high schoolers when there are far greater things to deal with. "All of your parents have already been called. Sit here and don't talk and keep your hands and eyes to yourself." He then walked away to his desk. 

Just then. "Areum? What are you doing here?"

I flinched in shock and turned to see who called my name so suddenly. "Oh. Hi dad," I said with a forced smile and awkward chuckle. It probably would have been smart of me to mention earlier that my dad works here. It was still kind of dumb of me to flinch so suddenly when my excuse of coming here was to see him. 

"It's getting late. Why are you here?" 

"Uhmmm. To visit you," I quickly said. I then brushed off the confused look on my dad's face to catch another glimpse of the troublemakers who were staring at the ground and keeping to themselves like they were ordered to. However, I should have been more careful about where I was looking. 

"Are they your friends?"

I shot my head right back to look at my dad. "Wha-what?"

"I see Sehun there too. What the heck happened to that boy? He looks so different." My dad then turned his face to look at me with suspicion in his eyes. "Are you... Involved in this too?" he asked with a point of fingers.

"No! Of course not!" Way to go Han Areum! Any louder please! I closed my mouth in a late and dumb realization about what I just did that has now attracted the attention of almost everybody. I peeked at the troublermakers who were now staring at me with confused looks as to what I was doing here.

"Hmmkay." Hmmkay? Really dad? You really think that I have something to do with them? "Well you should head home for now because I won't be off until late tonight."

"Al-alright," I stuttered. "I'll see you later. Love you." I then quickly turned around and took one last peek at the others before heading towards the exit. While doing so, I could see their heads and eyes follow me out, and it was obvious that they were wondering why I was here. However, I was especially bothered by the one person who probably felt uncomfortable to be in the same room as his ex-girlfriend and her dad. Although I couldn't get an exact look at his face, it was obvious that he didn't seem to like the idea of meeting and seeing us here like this. 

I decided to waste no more time and headed towards the exit to leave since there was no point of me being here. I honestly don't even know why I came here in the first place since it wasn't like I could have done something. I could have waited until tomorrow to get a possible idea about what happened, although to be fair this is really none of my business. But the curiosity was just overtaking me so I couldn't help it. Now the others were probably going to question why I was here at the police station, although at the same time they probably won't because they would want this to be on the low end. 

As I was about to make my way out with just a few feet away from the door, my footsteps came to a sudden stop, and it was as if my heart stopped beating for a moment. I can feel my ear turning red and becoming hot as I stared at the two people who just walked into the doors before I could leave. My eyes were slightly opened wide in shock since I hadn't expected to see them here even though I should have known better since I did hear the officer say that all of their parents have been called. 

I forced myself to bow. "He-hello."

In return, she gave me a small smile, but it was obvious that she too was shocked to see me here. We both probably thought that we would never see each other again since we no longer had a reason to, but here we are standing just a few feet away from each other. It was kind of awkward to be exact since the last time we saw each other was when I came over to visit, but now we're meeting again at such a dour place. Now, we were just like total strangers again who were forced to not interact with each other anymore because the person who connected us in the first place no longer had anything to do with me. 

Just then, I came to remember the other person when I felt her small arms wrap around me tightly. "Unnie!"

I could not help but let out a bright smile of joy as I hugged her back. "Hi Siyeon." She's grew so much since the last time that I've seen her!

"What are you doing here?"

"Hmmm. Just here to visit my dad," I replied with a smile. 

"Really? Well can you come over and play with me after?" She asked with her eyes wide open and gap tooth showing through her smile.

I shifted my eyes to look at her mom hesistantly before letting out a forced chuckle. She too must have felt uncomfortable that her daughter asked that question. "Sorry Siyeon. Not today."

"But why not? You haven't come to play with me for a long time now. Holly needs a new makeover," she pouted. Holly is the name of the barbie that she gave to me to take care of. 

But before I could crush her little dreams anymore, her mom thankfully stepped in. "She is busy Siyeon. You'll understand when you get older." She then gave me one last look and slightly nodded her head as a way to say that we could now depart and go our own ways. 

I bowed to her one last time before she walked away while holding onto her daughter's hands. When I confirmed that she was gone and nowhere near, I heaved out a breath because of how suffocated I felt during that short meeting. My heart was still beating fast because I didn't expect to see her here, although I was still stupid because I should have been smarter enough to know that she was going to show up and I should quickly leave. 

But despite this, I could not help but feel a little sense of sadness inside of me. We used to be so close, and I guess you could say that she was like a second mother to me because of how well she took care of me, but now we were merely strangers. I wished that we could have continued on our relationship despite Sehun and I breaking up, but the chances of that was low since she most likely cares about how her son feels about this more than a relationship that she could find with someone else, like Irene for example. 

I decided to not think about this any further for now and only focus on getting home safely. Everything else that happened today can be dealt with later during the torturous hours of staying up all night. 

 

~End of Chapter 14~