Chapter 27

With and Without Oh Sehun

Walking around the room like an idiot was the one thing working on keeping me distracted. I was so close to tearing my homework apart and had even crumbled the corners a little whenever I thought about the encounter with Sehun, but what was truly driving me insane was the undying thought that he was going to to say something. I had left before he could make a sound, but I wanted to destroy myself when a little sense of regret and curiosity was starting to fill me. Why was I such an idiot whenever it came to my ex-boyfriend?

Just at that moment, I was nearly overtaken by a heart attack when I heard the door slide open, but that soon turned into a state of surprise. Sehun's mom stood by the door and greeted me with a warm smile while holding onto a bouquet of flowers that looked brighter than the ones she gifted last time. I stared at her for a few seconds before forcing myself to greet her and offer her a seat on the leather couch, which was the only place you could really sit in this room.

"How are you feeling?" she asked. 

"Good. Good." I replied as I placed the flowers on my lap. There really wasn't much more to say. 

"How's physical therapy going so far? I'm surprised you can already start walking by yourself,"

I let out a slight chuckle. "Yeah, I'm still trying to get the hang of it by taking it slow."

She let out a smile, and soon after it went silent. The only sound in the room was the plastic wrappings around the flowers that I was fidgeting with in order to bypass this awkward atmosphere. As much as I appreciated her thoughtful and kind actions to pay a visit, I really hated situations like this where a short meeting was always proceeded by an awkward silence. Would it be rude of me to hint that I needed to rest or work on other things and she should leave? What am I saying? Of course it is Han Areum. But wait, now that I think about it. There is something that I want to ask her. 

"So how's Sehun doing? I came across him the other day and was surprised to see him in crutches," I tried to say as casually as possible. However, she must have been taken aback by my question with the way her eyebrows shot up a little. Should I have not ask that?

"Oh- Yeah. He's doing fine. He just injured his foot after doing something stupid," 

I took a moment to stare at her while she was keeping her head down and noticed a change in her expression that has darken. Now that I think about it, her tone and expression was always changing whenever Sehun was brought up, just like the last time when she came to visit me before the surgery.

"Is everything . . . okay?"

"Huh? Yeah. Everything's fine." She forced a smile while shaking her knees up and down, but it was obvious that she was trying to avoid something. It didn't take a genius to figure out that her words and crestfallen eyes were not on the same track. 

"You know I'm always willing to listen Mrs. Oh." Hoping my genuine smile was enough to reassure her that I was telling the truth.

She let out a sigh and struggled a bit with herself before reaching the conclusion to open up. "I just don't know what it is anymore Areum. Sehun . . . He hasn't been the same lately."

Hasn't been the same? 

"He's been doing a lot of stupid things. He comes home late everyday and uses the excuse of volleyball practice, but I know that isn't it. He smells like alcohol and cigarette, but whenever I try to confront him about it he gets mad and brushes it off. I- I just don't know what to do anymore."

I took a moment to think about what she said before forcing myself to say something back. "I'm sure it's just a phase he's going through. Seniors tend to do stupid things during their last year of high school. They just want to have some fun I guess, but I'm sure he'll return back to the way he is after he graduates." Coincidentally enough, these were words that I once told myself. 

"No, no," she shook her head. "It'll be too late by then. His grades has already plummeted and I'm scared about his future, but there's just nothing that I can do if he doesn't care to listen. Just recently he was kicked off the volleyball team too." 

Wait. Sehun got kicked off the volleyball team? You mean, the boy who's practically dedicated his whole life to the sport all these years? He got kicked off?

"I just don't understand Areum. He was never like this before- you know, you both broke up. I thought it was because of that new girl he was dating that was causing all of this, but that's not it either. He's acting even worst now that they broke up."

New girl? Broke up? You mean, Irene and Sehun?

I snapped out from my personal thoughts and turned my attention back to Sehun's mom. These growing questions can be thought about later. I held on tightly to her hand and looked her straight in the eyes before reassuring her again that everything will be fine. However, that was all I could really say- that everything was going to be fine, because the truth was even I didn't know for sure if everything was really going to be. 


I dropped my backpack on to the ground before breathing in the air in my room. Home sweet home. Everything still looked the same like I last left it, but it's not like anybody else had any reason to come in here. I immediately jumped on my bed and rubbed my cheeks against my warm blanket. It just felt nice to be back in my bed of comfort after spending weeks on that hard and back-breaking hospital bed. You should've seen my face when I got the news that I was going to finally be released. 

Besides cuddling up in my bed all day, I spent the next few days catching up on the last of my homework and texting Kyungsoo for help. He offered to meet up or even come over, but I denied because I didn't want to waste his time or cause him anymore trouble. He's already helped enough. I also spent time working with my physical therapist in order to really assure that I was able to walk properly again. My pace was still kind of slow and my stance even looked a little funny, but it was the best I could do and couldn't help it.

With that being said, my last week of recovery came to a slow end, and I was now lying wide awake in my bed while staring up at the ceiling. It was nearly 2 in the morning and I had to get up in a few hours, but I just couldn't sleep because of the growing anxiety. Oddly enough, this sounded all too familiar. Tomorrow was the first day of returning back to school after a month of absence, and I just didn't know how to take it all in. Despite how bored and lonely I was during these last few weeks of recovery, I wish I could stop the time and turn it back. I just wasn't ready to face the cruel world again nor return to the miserable place that I was glad to leave behind.

All the concern thoughts that I set aside before surgery was now starting to resurface itself. To this day I still don't know what happened to Sehun and the others when I told my dad the truth. Did they by any chance figure out that it was me who did it? Were they holding a grudge and waiting for me to get back in order to confront me about it? But more than that, what about Irene? Was there any surprise waiting for me tomorrow? What exactly is the relationship between us now that she and Sehun have broken up? I shook my head a few times in order to snap away from these groundless thoughts. Stop it Han Areum. You'll be just fine. 

However, with the end of those thoughts came the next. I couldn't stop thinking about what Sehun's mom told me the other day about her son. The way she said that he's changed ever since we broke up made me feel . . . well I don't exactly know how to describe it. I was still shocked that he was kicked off the volleyball team. Just what in the world did he do that caused that to happen? Along with that, he and Irene broke up too? Just what the heck happened while I was gone? 

However, I quickly brushed away those thoughts too. I promised myself that I was going to be a changed person, and the first step to doing that was removing every thought about Sehun. Soon enough, my brain calmed down, my eyes came to a close, and my night came to an end. 

The next morning arrived in the blink of an eye with the sun shining through the blinds. I took a moment to swallow down my worries before getting up to start my morning routine. My mom was sending me to school for safety purposes, and a little sense of relief filled me whenever the stoplight turned red. However, I knew there was no point of trying to avoid it anymore. I just needed to keep my head up and deal with this for a couple more months until graduation was here. 

I brought my hoodie over my head and went straight to my locker, which of course I would have arrived earlier if it wasn't for my back. It felt like everyone was staring at me, but surely it was just my imagination and insecurity making it seem that way. I felt a little out of place even though I was gone for only a month, but it's not like I didn't feel the same way before anyways. Nonetheless, I hurried my way to the locker with whatever pace my back could support. 

However, the moment I turned the corner and caught a glance of my locker, I was reminded of my first set of trouble that was standing right next to my locker. Since when did he start coming so early? I forced myself forward with the thought that all I needed to do was open my locker and get my books. No need to take a look at him or even give him my acknowledgement.  

I did what I told myself to do and kept my eyes looking straight without turning the slightest bit towards his direction. However, I jumped a little when at the corner of my eye I saw him glance at me. I decided to ignore it and act as if I was busy and minding my own business, but I was starting to feel a little irritated when his satanic eyes didn't budge away one bit. Was there something on my face or what? Did he have any comtemptuous questions to ask today? 

Thankfully enough, he eventually turned away and went back to doing his own business. With a sense of relief now filling me, my shoulders came to relax a little as well as my complicated brain. I began to arrange a few things around my locker since the thought never occurred to me that I left it as a mess before my surgery. I was positive that I cleaned it. 

Suddenly, it was as if I was hit with spears of ice that pierced through my body. My thoughts was interrupted by an unsettling sound next to me, and my body abruptly froze when it realized that it was the sound of a locker being open. Mheart was now on the verge of jumping out, and my breathing had come to a stop because of the sudden appearance of this unforeseen presence standing just inches away from me.

For the first time in what seemed like forever, the locker to my right side was opened and the space was now occupied. Why was he here? Why?! I mean, I know he has every right to be at his locker whenever he pleases, but the last time I could recall him being here was like ages ago! However, the realization then hit me. That's right. He and Irene broke up. I'm not exactly too sure on this, but I came to guess that the reason why he stopped showing up here for some time was because he was sharing lockers with Irene. But now that they broke up, he had no choice but to return here.  

Not wanting to stay here any longer, I grabbed the last of my material and slammed my locker shut before "storming" away. I know I was probably being dramatic, but his sudden appearance took me by surprise. It was especially even more uncomfortable because of that unexpected encounter with him on the elevator at the hospital. However, that wasn't even the worst part. The worst part was having to accept the fact that the spaces on the both side of my locker was being occupied again- one by Satan, and one by my ex-boyfriend. 

Without any further delay, I arrived in class early and immediately all eyes turned to look at me. Why do I feel like an uninvited guest in my own classroom? Surely they didn't expect me to be gone forever right? But what am I saying. I'm sure half of these people don't even know why I was gone, or better yet, that I was gone at all. 

I took a seat and began to go over my notes and homework as a way to keep myself busy until it was time for class to start. However, that hope of distraction didn't last very long when I was interrupted by the class's clown's loud greeting. I slightly pulled myself forward and away from Baekhyun for safety precautions (my back was still healing), and in replacement let out a smile. I wasn't sure of how to feel about his words of welcoming me back because he missed me, but I decided to take it in with gratitude. Someone did notice that I was gone after all.

I took the chance to return to my business when he walked away, but just as I was doing so, I was completely startled by a pair of eyes that was staring at me. However, I was left merely confused when there wasn't much to describe about the look in the witch's eyes besides the fact that she was just- well, staring at me. Whether she had something evil up her sleeves and still wanted to take a blow at my face like I feared, I couldn't tell. Much to my dying relief, she turned to carry on a conversation with her friend and it felt like I had just made it past one of the hardest stages about being back. 

With another few minutes passing by, I was welcomed back by Mrs. Lee before she continued on with starting class. Just as everyone was settling down, I couldn't help but steal a quick glance at Irene and Sehun to see it myself if they really did break up. Judging by the way their face remained serious and they didn't even look the slightest bit toward each other's direction, I realized that it was true after all (even though it wasn't like I didn't already believe it before). 

I was now sitting perfectly straight up in my seat like some kind of statue (I was advised to not slouch), but every time Satan turned to give me a weird look, I wanted to smack myself. I was waiting for those questions to fly out of his mouth any second now. He must've been part of the clueless group that didn't know why I was gone for a month, but I guess it was better that way that only a select few knew why I was gone. Nonetheless, I carried on with taking notes and giving my fullest determination to get back on track. 

After a near hour of jotting down pages of notes, I placed my pencil down in order to pop my knuckles and give my poor fingers a break. But just like the idiot that I am, I could hear my pencil roll off my desk and hit the ground before I could even realize it. Damn it! Left with no choice, I carefully slid down my chair and extended my short arms to reach for the pencil without having to bend my back, and now I was sure that I really looked like an idiot. Almost there (not really). A cold sweat broke on my forehead because of how hard I was trying to not strain my back over this battle to grab my pencil. 

But before I knew it, there was a mysterious figure that appeared next to me, and he or she extended their hand towards my pencil and grabbed it before slamming it on my desk. The owner to this hand proceeded to take his seat right next to me, and with that came the comtemptutous question that I was waiting for. "Can't even grab your own pencil?" There it was.

The journey to graduation was going to be longer than I expected, but whether it was going to be a burning hell because of all these changes while I was gone, I couldn't tell. 

 

~End of Chapter 27~