Chapter 6

With and Without Oh Sehun

I wasn't even at school yet but people were already staring and whispering about me on the bus. How was I going to survive at school now? And it was very much just the same thing again. They questioned why I just ran out of the class like that and criticized that I was acting like some character in a drama and expected Sehun to run after me or something. Well yes, those scenes in the dramas are the best heart grabbing moment, but I would have slapped and kicked Sehun in the shin if he did run after me yesterday. 

I peeked around the corner out of habit when I finally arrived at school and saw that Sehun wasn't at his locker. Learning a lesson from yesterday, I sprinted to my locker and began to quickly grab or put away what I need or didn't need. And I relied on my eyes this time instead of my ears to see if he was coming. A second or two mattered a lot when you're trying to avoid someone, especially when it's around a place that they come to often. But as much as I wanted to just disappear from here as quick as possible, I couldn't! Let's not forget that my finger is now suffering because of how stupid I was to forget about it and slam it. Yup, you're definitely the smartest Han Areum-

"Hey Areum."

I flinched and even gasped a little as I blocked my heart from jumping out. How did this person manage to get here without me noticing? I must have been too focused on putting my things away and yelling at myself that I didn't notice the figures that were now right next to me. And as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, the squeaky chuckles coming from them just made me want to stuff myself into my locker.

I brought my eyes to look over at the owners of the voice and chuckles, which I realized that I have not heard for a while now and don't want to hear at this very moment nor ever. I took a quick moment to look at the owner's body and saw that she had bandages on her legs, and it made me think about the reason why she missed the first day of school until now. Apparently she injured her leg or something, yet, she was still able to go to that party on Friday. "Oh, hey Irene." I muttered.

The animosity and hostile relationship we had was now starting to resurface when I looked at her face. I forgot about how much I completely despised her not because she was with my ex-boyfriend, but because I knew she didn't like me even when Sehun and I were still together. I couldn't help but hate her back because there was a part of me that was scared. She was pretty, slim, had long black hair, long eyeslashes, and a perfect smile- everything that I lacked in. So who wouldn't be scared when this type of girl is crushing on your boyfriend at the time? But now look at them, as if my worst nightmare just came true and I was defeated. Congrats. She must be so happy. 

"Have you seen Sehun?" Irene asked with an angelic smile and innocent expression, but I knew something was up. Standing behind her was her army who I didn't have a good relationship with either. 

But wait. Why the heck was she asking me that? I have no reason to know or care where he was anymore or if he was here. To be exact, it's her job now to find out where her boyfriend was, not the ex-girlfriend's. "No." I replied. 

She let out a sigh, but why do I have this feeling like it was meant to be a sarcastic one and she really wasn't looking for her boyfriend because she already knew where he was? She then let out a smack from her lips and again, she didn't look too concern or serious about her boyfriend's whereabouts. "What a shame. I've been trying to find him so I can give his phone back."

Really? She came to ask me where he was just so she can give him his phone- Wait. Phone...? The confusion and slight realization as shown through my face caused them to deviously smirk and giggle.

"Well since he's not here then I'll just give it to him later. See you in class Areum." She then walked away with a smirk on her face and her army followed, as if she accomplished whatever was up her sleeve or perhaps even more than what she planned for.

The final bell rang and I made it just on time for class, but I honestly wouldn't mind if I was late. Every second and minute of avoiding these devils was a blessing. My stomach also felt a little uneasy ever since that short encounter with Irene just minutes ago. I was trying to convince myself that I was just overthinking and it was nothing. Maybe Irene really just wanted to find Sehun so she can give his phone back that she somehow had in the morning. I don't know. Just stay with me here. 

And like usual, all heads turned and whispers began to spread across the room as I made my way to my seat. A sense of relief I guess you can say filled me when I confirmed that the jerk was at his desk, meaning he was fine after all and there was no need to worry or feel guilty anymore. 

I allowed my bangs to cover my face as I took a seat and placed my backpack on my desk. All I really wanted was just a relaxing day of school where everybody was minding their own business instead of constantly looking at me. But suddenly, my ears twitched and I can feel it slightly turn red when I heard something new and unexpected for the first time. My heart beat picking up fast.  

"I don't know how Irene's being so cool about it. I would have confronted her already about calling my boyfriend."

"It would have been funny if Irene picked up. I bet she wouldn't have expected that huh?"

"She thinks she was being sneaky yet doesn't even know that Irene was already on it."

My body was completely frozen and my breathing was starting to fasten as I allowed their words to be processed in my head. In the end, my doubts were correct. I clenched my teeth together and tried my best to not burst. I can feel my face burning and turning red by this point, and the chuckles and laughs were not making things any better. I felt so embarrassed and stupid that the only reason why I hadn't run out yet was because I already learned the consequences of doing that yesterday. But I felt so boxed in as if I was pushed into a corner and had no escape route. I can feel everybody glaring at me or looking at me in such a disgusted way over something that they were misunderstanding. 

"Yo Areum. I thought you were better than that girl," Chanyeol said out loud from across the room, causing everyone to utter in agreement or add their inputs. 

I tried to block out the things that were being said about me, and when that wasn't working I closed my eyes shut in order to hold back the tears that were ready to come out. Not this time Areum. I was tired of crying but it was not my fault for feeling this way. People were getting the wrong idea about why I called Sehun, and I just wanted to scream out loud the real reason why but that wasn't going to make things any better. Their response would just be something along the lines of "that's just an excuse" or "Irene can take care of him" or "he can take care of himself". But no! It's not can excuse. Irene can't take care of him. He can't take care of himself. However, I couldn't find myself to say these words because it would only cause more trouble for the both of us when people question why we met up at lunch and so forth. 

But you know what was making me even more pissed? The fact that there was silence from him. Nothing. I had my head and eyes staring down at the ground with my bangs still covering my face but I knew that he was silently sitting in his seat while watching and listening to everything. If he had a brain then he should be smart enough to figure out or even have a slight idea of why I called him. It wasn't because I wanted to cry and ask for him back but because I'm one of the few to only know about his condition and how to handle it. I needed him to speak up and say something!

However, his voice was not found within the chatters that was starting to pick up, and I knew that somewhere in the room Irene was enjoying what she was seeing. I can imagine that victorious smirk on her face as she's calmly sitting back in her seat and allowing the others to do her work. She was happy and satisfied to see how weak and small I've become with Sehun no longer by my side because he was now by hers. All these years that she's had a crush on Sehun and thought that he was too good for me and that she couldn't wait until we broke up so they could be together was finally here and she enjoyed every bit of it.

I don't know how I was doing it but I was still managing to stay in my seat and not storm out again. However, if the teacher didn't step in to stop this escalating humiliation any minute now then I don't know what I might just do.  

But suddenly, it was as if an angel descended from the sky because God finally heard my desperate cry and plead for help. I wanted everything to stop, I needed everything to stop and it was finally going to happen. It sounds so cheesy and cliche to describe it as I just did but it really felt like that. It was the best way to describe this person and the situation of desperately calling for help that was finally here. 

"What are you doing?" the low and thick voice yelled. "Class is already starting but why are you all still fooling around?"

A choking breath of relief that I couldn't control came out as soon as I heard this voice. I never knew the day would come where I would feel so thankful towards this person. I really felt like I was at the edge of suffocation because of how embarrassed and humiliated and angry and misunderstood I felt all at the same time within the course of not even 2 minutes.

I was thankful once again for the class president who arrived just in time to do his job. 


I don't know how I did it but I managed to storm out of the classroom after class ended before anybody could even lift a finger. Now I'm hiding myself in a secluded and abandoned room in the basement of the school building that people rarely go to. Why didn't I think of going here before? Well to be honest, I shouldn't even be here in the first place... Students weren't allowed in the basement since they're out of the grownup's supervision, but who cares right? Not like they would come down here to check anyways since they're making the best of their lunch where they don't have to deal with annoying students.

It was clear of how long this room was deserted as shown through the dust on my finger that I wiped from one of the tables. But I guess I shouldn't complain because it really proved that nobody ever comes in here. I then collapsed onto a chair and exhaled a deep breath of relief. Funny how I didn't feel like I was suffocating in such a stuffed and dark and dusty room compared to what was just outside the door where there was more open space and room.

Suddenly realizing that if I didn't keep myself busy then I could possibly take advantage of this loneliness and break down any moment now. I felt so small and embarrassed about what happened in class this morning. Everybody automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was trying to interfere with my ex-boyfriend's new relationship because I still wasn't over him and blah blah blah. I was kind of done with it by this point now that I really thought about it.

This whole game and scheme of Irene who thinks she can toy around and get back at me because she was with Sehun now just kind of set me off. I pieced it together that she was the one who called me that one time since she apparently had Sehun's phone. She also purposely asked me where Sehun was so she can "return his phone" as a way to play around with me. I guess it kind of worked in a way... But nothing pissed me off more than that Oh Sehun jerk who was casually sitting down in his seat and minding his own business as if this had nothing to do with him when really everything was the way it was because of him.

I then decided to not fill myself with anger anymore and leave it for later. I reached over to a shelf behind me and grabbed whatever book that was in my reach. A Broken Smile was the book I grabbed. Sounds decent I guess. I began to flip through it while trying my best to not inhale the dust that was coming out of it. But no matter how hard I tried to get into this book, my mind wouldn't lay this thought to rest. Everybody was viewing me in such a way that I have never been viewed before and I felt completely wronged! I wanted to just run out and inform everybody the truth of why I called Sehun in hopes that we could put this all behind us. But with reality kicking in, I wasn't the type to do that and the outcome was going to be totally different than what I imagined.

I threw the book onto the table and laid my head on the desk, not really caring about the dust that will be on my head now nor inhaling it. Sleeping it off for the rest of lunch sounded good especially since my stomach was having no mercy on me again.

Suddenly, I almost flew off my chair and land head first on the ground when the doorknob turned and the door squeaked open. I gasped in complete shock as I tried to calm down my breathing before looking to see who the heck just entered the room out of nowhere. Really? Out of all the open rooms, this person had to choose this one-

My eyes reflectively squinched to the light that I left off on purpose before adjusting them to see who this bastard was that just interrupted my space of peace.

"Why are you in here?" the low and thick voice asked.

"Kyung-Kyungsoo..." I sat up straight with my eyes wide open in shock. I didn't expect to see the class president show up here so suddenly. But wait, what was he doing here? Don't tell me that the class president also disobeys the rules and spends his lunch time in the basement too!

"You're not allowed to be in here."

"Well... What about you?" He doesn't think that he's above the law just because he's the class president does he?

"I usually check down here to make sure that nobody's breaking the rules. You're the first person I've come across since school started."

Not sure if I was supposed to feel offended or proud or hurt or something to hear that. I guess I'll take that as an achievement because heck, why not?

"And you know the consequences of breaking the rule right?"

I gulped as I thought about the consequence and word that he was referring to, one that I forgot even existed because of never having to worry about getting it. Detention.

"Can you let me off this one time?" I begged. "I wasn't feeling good and didn't have anywhere to go so I came here-"

"I already let you off once. I can't play favoritism."

Already let off once? Oh wait. That's right. That one time when he found me hiding (and crying) in the stalls of the girl's restroom instead of class... Wished we didn't have this conversation... I then let out a distressed sigh and panic face as I thought about getting detention for the first time. I even felt like crying because of my perfect record being ruined and having to face detention for the first time in my life. I felt like I was going to prison or something and I had to find a way to escape!

If I had to choose facing detention or facing Sehun then I- Nevermind I choose detention.

"How long is detention?" I pouted. I wasn't doing this on purpose to have him pity me and let me off again. I just had a habit of acting like a little child sometimes when I'm left with no choice but punishment.

"Forget about it."

My eyes shot wide open and my mouth agaped. I just wanted to run over and hug him tightly and throw him all over for letting me go-

"I have something else that you can do to replace detention."

My agaped mouth closed when I realized that he had something up his sleeves this whole time. "What is it...?" What could Kyungsoo possibly have for me to do in exchange of not getting detention?

"You're fairly smart and one of the best students in the class. Our after school tutoring program could use some more students to help tutor."

My interest and hearing shifted away before he could even finish. Judging by his words so far, I would rather just take detention and get it over with. I felt like whatever he was offering me was a worst punishment than sitting in a room and "reflecting" about my behavior.

"So?"

I snapped out from my thought and turned my attention back to him, and I think he saw that I dozed off for a good second or two. Let's see. How do we put this in a way where I'm not a total douchebag who would rather take detention than help out other students with school. "Uhhhh. Well, I can't stay after school because I won't have a ride-"

"There's another bus that you can catch after the tutor session."

Well jeez. He's quick. Has he already gone through this with other recruitments? I then tried to think of another excuse but nothing was coming up, and by this point it was obvious that I was just being a jerk.

"You can start tomorrow after school. One of our student classmate is returning and I think you'll be a good suit for him." He then walked out of the room before I could deny the offer or even breathe out a word. And for a short second, that thankfulness from earlier was gone.

And just when I started to let my guard down and get comfortable with the room that I was now alone in again, he came back to tell me to get out. Damn it Do Kyungsoo. This was the first time where I wished that you didn't do your job.

 

~End of Chapter 6~