Chapter 24

With and Without Oh Sehun

[November 8]

With the way Areum was constantly tossing and turning in bed, you would think that she had a nightmare or a hard time sleeping. But it wasn't like that. She was wide awake despite the fact that it was nearly 1 in the morning and she had to get up for school in a few hours. Her right cheek was squished up against her pillow as she stared at her phone without blinking. She was afraid that she was going to miss something if she did blink, even though it wasn't like her phone could just magically develop feet and run away. 

Just then, her phone vibrated and the screen lit up. She quickly grabs her phone and unlocks it to read whatever she had just received. An uncontrollable smile appeared on her face as she read the text. She began to bite down on her thumb as she thought about what to reply back. She didn't want to screw up and say anything stupid, even though again, she's already done that a few times. 

With a few more texts exchanged back and forth, the conversation was brought to an end for the night (or morning). There was only a few minutes left until it was going to hit 2, and they had just broken their unintentional record of staying up late by 14 minutes. 

Areum set her phone down and began to squirm and kick her feet in joy and excitement. It has almost been a month since her and Sehun started to text, and the simplest way to put it is that they were pretty much very close by this point. She stared up at the ceiling with joy filling her up. The thought never occurred to her that things were going to turn out like this. It just felt too good to be true. 

 

The way she felt the next morning was the first time that she's ever truly felt so happy and content with her life. There was just no better way to describe it. She's been feeling more anxious and nervous than ever at the thought of seeing Sehun at school, but of course, she tried to act as if she was cool with everything. 

She began to organize her locker around by separating her things from Sehun's so it would be easier whenever they needed something. While she was doing this, she couldn't resist the urge to look around and see if he was here yet. She would even take the time to calm herself down and tell herself to not act like an idiot when he did get here. 

Suddenly, she heard footsteps come to a stop next to her and immediately her heart came to a jump. She turns with the expectation of seeing him; however, she was surprised when she saw who it was. 

"Hey Areum!" said the bright and cheerful voice. 

"Oh- Hey, Irene," Areum flashed a little smile, not expecting to see her here. 

"I was wondering if I can get my history notebook that Sehun borrowed. He said he was busy this morning and had told me to ask you for it." While she was speaking, Areum couldn't help but wonder how someone would have the time to look so dolled up in the early morning. Her long eyeslashes were curled so much that with just a little more it could touch her eyebrows. Her cheeks were so pink that you wouldn't be able to tell if she was blushing or not. The red velvet lipstick gloss made her look ten times her age, but in a sort of good way. 

"Yeah, of course." Areum turned to her locker and began to search for it. When she did find it, she handed it to Irene.

Irene grabbed her notebook with a merry smile. "Thanks!" But instead of leaving right away after receiving it, she decided to stay for a little longer. "So . . . Do you and Sehun have something going on? I'm sure people don't go around sharing lockers for nothing." She began to tease Areum by nudging her arm playfully. 

"Wh-what? No," Areum quickly denied with her cheeks turning slightly red. "We're just friends. That's all."

Irene narrowed her eyes down at Areum with a smile, having a possible idea that Areum was lying. "Hmmmm okay." Or maybe, she didn't catch that Areum was lying at all. "Don't tell this to anyone. It's a secret between you and me," she started with a whisper this time as she leaned in close to Areum. "I never noticed this before, but I think Sehun's pretty cute and attractive once you get to know him a bit more. Don't you think?"

Areum felt her heart racing. The only thing she could do was stand still and think about what she just heard. 

"I'm sure you've thought the same at least once. Anyways, I'll see in class Areum! Thanks again." She waved a goodbye and headed towards the same direction that she just came from. 

Meanwhile, Areum remained where she was. With what started off as a gleeful day turned into a gloomy one in a matter of just seconds. She kept her eyes locked on Irene's back who was still walking down the hallway. Even from this view anybody could tell that she was pretty because of the way her long, black and silky straight hair was swaying back and forth. Areum was brought into a dishearten mood when she repeated in her mind of what Irene just said; mllions of thoughts now flowing through her head. 

How could she stand a chance against someone like her? She knew that if for whatever reason it came down to where Sehun had to pick her or Irene, then the answer was obvious. 

Irene had everything that Areum lacked in (or so she thought). She was pretty and had a nice smile. She was tall and slim, but to top it off was her kind and bubbly personality. Sure she acted a little preppy and loud at times, but it was something that people tend to ignore. Every boy at this school's fallen head over heels for her before, and Areum was sure that Sehun wasn't going to be any different when he found out that Irene had a thing for him. Which boy wouldn't like someone like her?

But despite the fact that this was bringing her down, Areum couldn't find herself to hate Irene. Sure she probably knew that she was popular, but what made her different was the way she would start up a casual conversation with Areum sometimes. So with that, it just tore Areum apart when she learned that Irene might have a possible interest in Sehun. Maybe things were too good to be true after all. 

However, Areum just couldn't understand why now. It didn't seem like anybody ever had an interest in Sehun before. But just when things were starting to move along and look good for her, people are starting to suddenly see these things in Sehun that she's already noticed nearly a year ago? Even though it would have killed Areum, couldn't they have been quicker before her and Sehun became close like this?

Areum shuts her locker and turns to the opposite direction of where she usually goes. She just needed some time alone for now since there was still a few minutes left until class started. 

Just as she was picking up her steps along the hallway, she came to a slow stop when her eyes laid on someone or something. Not too far nor close from her was her class partner, Jin. He was leaning against a locker with his head looking down and shoulders hanging low; his hands in his pocket. Areum wondered why he was just standing there alone like that instead of being with his friends like he usually is every morning and second of the day. This is a little unusual, Areum thought to herself. 

Just then, she saw Jin lift his head and turn to walk away with heavy steps; his hands still in his pocket and shoulders still hanging low. She wasn't able to catch a good glimpse of his face because of the bright light reflecting from outside the doors near him. However, Areum thought this was a little strange to see. She didn't know him too well despite being partners, but she knew him enough to know that he was always a joyous and bright person. Maybe he was just having a bad day? Everybody's had those days before. 

Areum decided to brush it off since it wasn't her business. Her mind went back to thinking about her own issues. 

She might have surprised Sehun a little when she failed to properly greet him first thing upon arriving class. She just didn't feel as happy and bright anymore; not to mention in a good mood either. Was she just overthinking about it? Regardless, when lunch came around it wasn't any different. She distanced herself a little from Sehun without meaning to. She didn't try to carry on a conversation with him after settling down on a table, and only responded with short and boring replies. However, she may have overdone it a little too much that Sehun just wasn't having it. 

"Is something wrong Reum?" He asked. 

"What? No." But of course it was obvious that she was lying. 

"Did I say or do something wrong? If so, then I'm sorry," he sniggered. 

"No you didn't. Don't worry about it." She was starting to feel a little guilty that he was blaming himself when this was nowhere near his fault and rather her own personal issues. 

"If something's wrong then you should tell me, don't you think?"

"It's fine Hun. It's nothing," Areum replied, except her tone had a noticeable hint of annoyance. 

It then went silent between the two. Areum could see Sehun staring at her as she played around with her food. He then went on to eat his food a moment later. This was the first time where things seemed a little tense between them. Areum was especially hit with guilt for responding back to Sehun in such a way, but she wasn't sure of how to explain herself. 

Just then, there was an eruption of laughter coming from the table behind them. Areum continued picking at her food as if she was deaf to the noise. Sehun however, slightly leaned to the side to look pass Areum and see what caused the noise. Areum was able to catch a glimpse of Sehun letting out a sigh while shaking his head, as if he wasn't too fond of whatever he just looked at. Due to her curiosity, she turned around to look behind her and saw the same group of people from last time. 

"We should really start eating our lunch somewhere else," Sehun started again. 

Areum turned back to look at him. "What? Why?"

"Don't you find them loud and a bit annoying sometimes?"

Loud and a bit annoying? 

"I overheard one of their conversations in class the other day, and you were right. All they ever blabber about is the latest makeup trend and boys." He began to shake his head again while still picking at his food. "See. This is why I like you."

Areum's eyes shot wide open; her frozen hand holding onto her foodless spoon. Her heart was beating fast as if it could burst any second now. Did she hear correctly? 

Sehun lifted his head to look at her with a cool and calm expression; not his usual cute and child-like smile. "What? You didn't know that?"

"Kn-know what?" Areum stuttered. She has entered idiot mode again. 

"That- You know... I like you. A lot, and not in a friend way." His cheeks now starting to turn bright red.

 

~End of Chapter 25~