Chapter 19

With and Without Oh Sehun

With my surgery approaching faster than I anticipated, I was now being hit with mixed feelings. One half of me was nervous and scare about the whole surgery process while the other small half was happy that I would be away from school and everyone else for a while. It just really that the only way to escape from that hell-like place was through my surgery that was needed because of that hell-like place. 

I also haven't been to school ever since that crazy and hectic day and won't be returning until I recover. Yeah, that fight really required me to take extra time off to prepare for the surgery. But yet again I am filled with mixed feelings. I'm relieved that I won't have to face Sehun and that witch for a while, but I was also afraid for the same exact reason. What ended up happening to them after I told my dad the truth where he said he would handle the rest? I was too afraid to ask my dad what happened just because I felt like I already had a lot on my hands. Would they have the sense to know that it was me who did it? What were they going to do when I return? As much as I wanted to, I couldn't stay in the hospital forever.

I also wasn't sure how I was going to face Kyungsoo. Do we act like that moment after my fight never happened? Should I thank him for being the first person to tell me the truth to realize things that I have never thought of before? Should I thank him for consoling me in a way and reassuring me that indeed there was someone to trust? What exactly do I do? I was still weirded out in a way. 

Along with these mixed feelings and thoughts came with the struggle to stay asleep at night. I still get small glimpses of that day in my dreams that would cause me to wake up with my heart pounding fast. I never want to experience that feeling again of feeling helpless while everybody else is just standing by to watch you get punched several times in the face.

However, it might be nice and good to add that I finally did something that I have been holding off on. I gathered every last piece of the memories that I have left of Sehun and stored them away. And yes, stored. I'm still slowly moving on like Kyungsoo suggested, and the first step to doing that is storing everything away where they would be out of my sight. But when the time does come, I will burn or throw them all away to truly prove to myself that I have fully moved on. However, I do have to admit that I caught myself staring at the necklace he gave to me before I finally clicked into my right mind again and threw it in the box with the other things. I never said that it was going to be easy. 

Since I've been staying home for about a week now with only one more week left until my surgery, I have been hearing nothing but constant bickering from my mom who's still upset with me. That's why right now I'm heading to a nearby convenience store to get some fresh air and grab something to eat in order to get out of the house. According to my mom, this is my "punishment". Fair enough I guess since I have been doing nothing but staying in my bed all day and keeping myself busy with movies and shows. My pace is still slow because of my back, but it's been getting better. I just have to be careful and not rush myself.

The bells on top of the door rang as I entered the store, and immediately I walked over to the ramen noodles section. Weird how I'm going to be limited to what I could eat, but I still choose to eat ramen out of all things. I gathered my favorite ramen bowls until my arm could no longer hold anymore, and my obsession for ramen was going a little too far that I was even ready to use my feet. As I was doing this, my ears caught the sound of the bells ringing but I was too busy to care to look, although there was no reason to look at a total stranger who was entering or exiting the store anyways. I decided to knock some sense to myself and put some ramen bowls back and only select a few. I had a feeling that I was going to gain a lot of weight during my recovery, so cutting off on some food now will for sure help me.

Just then, I nearly dropped all my ramen bowls as a result of the bell ringing once again with a woman's screeching shout entering the store. I quickly set the ramen bowls back on the shelf before moving along to check what all the sudden shouting was about. As I got myself around the small crowd that was forming, I was shocked to see the owner of the store holding onto the ears of a high school student. 

"I was nice enough to even allow you to enter my store again, but kids like you sure do know how to take things for granted!" she shouted. 

"Let me ing go. I already told you that I didn't do anything!"

Everybody gasped in shock of the student cursing at the lady, yet I thought it was a bit odd that nobody seemed to have a problem with the lady treating the student as if he was some type of dog. However, I was pushed back by the crowd and almost lost my balance when the lady proceeded to drag the student by the ear towards the cashier counter. 

"Then tell me why the jar with tips on the counter suddenly disappeared once you left the store huh? They were here before you came!" 

"I don't ing know! I didn't take them lady!" The crowd gasped in shock once again when the student aggressively pushed the lady's arm away from his ear before storming out of the store. However, my eyes widened even more and my jaws nearly dropped when I came to realize the identity of this student. 

But before he could fully walk away from the store, he was grabbed harshly by the arm and pinned hard onto the wall by one of the male customers who witnessed the situation. I stared in shock as I watched Yoongi being pinned aggressively against the wall as everybody else shook their head in disbelief and disapproval of his actions. I wasn't able to see Yoongi that night when I went with my dad to the station, but I definitely didn't think that this is how I would get to see him again. To be quite honest, I had hope that I would have come across him again on the street, school, or bus of some sort. Not here like this because he stole something.  

Soon enough, the sky darkened but I chose to stay put like the dumb and curious person I am that likes to stick their nose in everything. I kept myself busy inside the store with a bowl of the noodles that I bought while waiting for the cops to show up and deal with Yoongi. He was sitting down on the ground outside with his hands tied behind his back with some sort of torn and old piece of cloth that was probably found in the back of the store's storage room. But despite his wrongdoing of stealing from the store which seemed like it wasn't his first time, I could not help but feel a bit dishearten that he was being kept outside in the cold like this. His uniform was ruined and certainly not enough to keep him warm, and despite how tough he was trying to look, I could see his body trembling along with his legs bouncing up and down in an attempt to somehow keep himself warm. It wouldn't hurt to keep him inside the store would it? 

Just then, I nearly choked on the last piece of noodle that I was slurping on when I saw flashing lights pull up in front of the store where two police officers exited from the car. And judging by their very unhappy and even annoyed expressions, it was obvious that this was not their first time dealing with Yoongi. I quickly took one more gulp of the warm noodle broth before throwing myself out in the cold where I would satisfy my curiosity. 

As soon as I stepped out the door, I was taken aback to see one of the officers give Yoongi a smacking to the back of the head, and in return was a scowl from Yoongi that caused him to receive another smacking. 

"Don't you get tired of constantly living a life like this? I'm tired of dealing with you all the time," said one of the officers who was gritting down his teeth to hold himself back from releasing his anger and annoyance at a high school student. He began to untie the cloth around Yoongi's hand before shoving him to put his hands on top of the police vehicle. "Why won't you just go home and stay with your family instead of always making our jobs a living hell? Or at least spend time with your friends, but that's if a troublemaker like you has any at all."

I don't know what it exactly was and why I was feeling like this all of a sudden, but there was just something about the officer's last few words that sort of... Sprouted out some anger from me. That was quite unprofessional and even low of him to mock a high school student like that, not to mention if only he really knew more about this "troublemaker" then he'd take back his spiteful words in less than a second. 

I shifted my eyes to focus on Yoongi and immediately my stomach was presented with a weird feeling... Or maybe this weird feeling was coming from my heart. I couldn't help but be sunk into a sense of sympathy and commiseration when I saw the look on his face. Those last few words probably caused a bullet to his heart that his usual angry and incensed self was replaced by a helpless and dismal state. Of course there was anger as shown through his eyes, but there was just something that was holding him back. 

I was now reminded of a familiar feeling that I had before because of him. There was just something about the look in his eyes and face expression that told me he was used to this, but at the same time there was something more to it. Like he wanted to speak up but couldn't because nobody would listen to him. Like he would only have to bite down on his tongue and deal with whatever is to come for a few days. That's when the thought finally occurred to me. Did he... Really steal this jar of tips? Or was he just wrongly accused with no evidence or explanation needed because of his record like last time? Sure he's probably stole some things in the past which isn't acceptable in any way, but what if he didn't do it this time? 

Unable to keep still anymore after losing my patience and realizing this, I stormed to where the officers and Yoongi was where the owner of the store was now also present. "Excuse me. But do you have evidence that he did it?"

I nearly fell into a moment of regret when I saw all of their eyes turn towards me with some of their eyebrows cocked up. To make it even worst, the way Yoongi was staring at me in shock and wondering why I was here made me want to turn back and forget about standing up for him.

"Who... Are you?" asked one of the officers. 

"Just a bystander. I just wanted to know if there was any proof that he did it because I don't remember seeing you pull out this jar of money from his pocket."

The owner of the store let out a scoff where a breath of cold air came from , and before I knew it, I realized that I might have just found a woman scarier than my mom. "What do you take me for kid? Some type of liar or something? Of course he stole it! The jar disappeared right after he left the store!"

"Well have you checked your surveillance cameras inside your store to make sure?" I sure am courageous and brave today. Also completely out of my mind for trying to help Satan. 

"Do I need to check?! This kid has stole several times from my store! Who else is there to blame?!"

I decided to allow my courageous self continue and proceeded to look at the officer. "Are you just going to believe this woman's words without any evidence and proof? Have you found the jar of money on him yet or even to care to look at the surveillance camera? I don't think my dad who happens to be your boss would be happy to hear about this."

It was obvious that I bit off a great amount of these officer's pride and ego, and it was obvious that they were not happy about the fact that they were being told off by a high school student. However, they knew that what I said was right. We proceeded inside the store, and with the fast forward of the surveillance footages, we came to the conclusion that the money jar had already disappeared before Yoongi even entered the store. With just a little rewind back, we saw that it was another boy who looked like a middle school student that took the jar before Yoongi entered a few minutes after. And might I add that for a moment I was extremely proud of myself and even thought about becoming a police officer like my dad, and I have every right to. However, that mood didn't last very long and was completely ruined by the constant stares of Satan who was probably still confused about my presence here and why I was helping him. 

After things settled down and the owner worked around not giving Yoongi a proper apology, we both exited the store at the same time and was met by a gust of cold breeze. I then let out a scowl when Yoongi failed to even acknowledge my help and presence. He walked over a few feet away and picked up his dirty backpack that was left on the ground for about an hour now along with a grocery bag filled with things he bought from the same store that he was wrongly accused of. But the moment I realized that whatever was in that bag seemed no longer edible or usable, my scowl was replaced by sympathy. 

Just then, I flinched in shock and was reminded of a feeling that I had not had in a while now. I brought my eyes to quickly look away in order to avoid his sharp piercing eyes, and I wasn't sure if I should flee for safety or wait for a low possibility of a word of gratitude. 

"Yo-you know. People tend to say thank you to those who help them." It looks like my bravery from earlier has still not disappeared yet. 

I immediately entered into a sense of deep regret for saying such thing when I heard his footsteps proceed my way. Speaking up to the old lady and officer was one thing, but speaking up to Satan was another. Of course he wouldn't feel or care to relay a sense of gratitude for my help! This is Satan a.k.a Min Yoongi that we're talking about here!

However, very very much to my surprise, I was met with confusion and shock and confusion and disbelief and confusion when a bag was jammed into my arm that almost knocked away my living soul. 

"Happy?" He asked with gratitude nowhere to be found in his monotone with a glint of aggressive voice. He then continued on his way pass me without saying anymore, but I didn't mind. For sure I was not going to risk my life again just to get a simple thank you from him. I guess I can just count this as a way to make up to him for wrongly accusing him that one time. Yeah, we can just stick with that. This bag of inedible and unuable things is probably the nicest thing Satan can give to me. 

I turned my head to watch him walk away with his dirt filled backpack hanging on his right shoulder. I also caught a glance of him twirling his wrists around and even his shoulders because of how sore it must have felt after being strapped down. And once again, this weird feeling from earlier reappeared in me. I guess right now might be the right time to tell you. 

You see, Yoongi wasn't always like this. He wasn't always a troublemaker who was out to make everyone's life a "living hell". Instead, he was just a normal student like me I guess you can say. He used to go to school everyday and wasn't the brightest of the bunch, but he still managed to pass his classes. His eyes wasn't filled with anger and hatred all the time. He used to always laugh and smile even though it may sound weird and unlike of me to say, but it's true. 

But that's because he had friends, and yes, friends. There was just something about their circle that made me envious of their friendship, and I'm sure you can imagine how I feel now. They were all especially close and always hung out like typical teenage boys who just wants some fun, except their friendship was more like brotherhood.

But I guess the best way to put it is that if that unfortunate incident never happened and Yoongi was still the same person he was several years ago, then maybe he and I could have been friends to this day. This unfortunate incident isn't really something that I or anyone else like to talk about out of respect to those who were deeply affected by it. But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to tell you. 

You see, out of their group of friends there was one particular person that Yoongi was especially close and good friends with, and his name was Jin. I can't really remember much about him since it was so long ago, but he was kind and had a nice smile and flawless skin from what I can remember. You would always see those two together at school or even outside of school. I once heard that Jin was like a mentor for Yoongi who was dealing with personal problems back at home, but I can't say too much on that since I don't know if it's true. 

But moving on, Jin... Unfortunately passed away one day, and Yoongi and the others were never the same after. But I think what really strucked them the most, if we want to be specific here, is that he committed suicide... It was obvious that their mournful tears after the news was mostly filled with guilt and regret. Like they could have done something to prevent it. Like they could have helped their friend. Nobody knows the exact reason why he took that route, but one thing for sure is that it had nothing to do with getting bullied. Instead, rumors has it that he was stressed about school while others said that it was over a girl. Some even said that he was battling with depression. 

Regarding Yoongi's friends, I don't really know what happened to them. Most of them never returned to school, but those who did either resorted to terrible things that got them expelled or even landed them in jail. Yoongi's the only one left who is still attending the school even though he had just returned from the school for delinquents. I wonder if that's where the rest of his friends are.

But back to what I was saying. That's why I got mad and had the urge to stand up for Yoongi when the officer said those spiteful words earlier. Sure I hate the way his satanic eyes glare at me and the way he treats me like I'm not important, but the officer crossed a line when he said those words even though he probably didn't mean to. Despite how ill-mannered and uncivilized Yoongi can be, I can never hate him to a full extent because everytime I'm about to, I get knocked back into a hole of pity and sympathy for him. 

This troublemaking student who makes everyone's life a "living hell" once had friends that he did hangout with everyday. He was never like how he is now. I guess causing trouble and glaring at everyone with his sharp piercing eyes is just his way of coping with the emptiness. 

 

~End of Chapter 19~