Chapter 21

With and Without Oh Sehun

**If for whatever reason you haven't already, please make sure to read the author's note from the previous chapter before reading this chapter**



[4 years ago]

[August 27th]

The moment Areum stepped off the bus and spotted 7th graders sprinting by like maniacs, she wanted to just turn around and head back home. The first day of school hasn't even officially started yet, but already Areum wanted to bury herself in a hole since she knew that going back home was impossible.

Because of how irritated she already was, she plugged her earphones into her ears, completing forgetting that it was forbidden once you were on school ground. It didn't take more than a second before she was scolded to put them away or else it would be confiscated, and with that she was reminded of the grown human beings that she was displeased to be around. 

She decided to it up, and held on tightly to the straps of her backpack while moving along the school with her head down. However, it didn't take long for her to realize that keeping her head down was something she wouldn't be able to do this year. The excited and shocked-at-how-big-the-school-is 7th graders were going to keep getting in her way because of the mentality that school was more like a playground. Okay, maybe not all 7th graders were as annoying as Areum thought them to be, but she just wasn't too fond of everything so far that she was taking it out on hem. 

If she had a choice of not being here, then it was obvious that she wouldn't be (although the same would probably apply to every student out there). The only thing keeping her going was that she only had to deal with this for a few more months until she moved on to high school. Yet again, was that any different from middle school? 

When she began to feel self-conscious about her surroundings, primarily of those who were updating their friends about their summer break or even planning days to hangout, she decided to head to class. She dragged her feet as she continued to hold on tightly to her backpack straps, as if that was a way to make her invisible. With just a few feet away from entering her new classroom, she told herself many times that all she had to do was hold on and get through the day. 

Just as she finally reached the classroom and was going to take a step inside, she abruptly stopped and even slightly shuffled backwards. She doesn't know how she does it, or rather how he does it, but she was able to spot him easily despite the classroom that was already half way filled. She had somehow forgotten that there was something, or rather someone, who was her motivation for coming to the place that she doesn't want to be at. 

When their homeroom teacher arrived and class was about to start, everybody raised their voices in "awhhh" at the announcement of a seating chart. But to Areum, she was probably one of the few who actually like assigned seats. She didn't like the idea of having to choose her own seat since everybody else would most likely choose to sit next to their friends. Also, because this whole seating chart raised a low yet slight possibility that she might get to sit next to him. 

However, of course nothing ever fell into her favor. She got assigned to sit next to some other kid that oddly enough made her feel self-conscious at times. He wasn't weird or mean or bad or anything, he was actually pretty nice. It's just that he had a very nice smile and flawless skin that made her feel a little insecure at times. Pretty boys. 

Anyways, that's not the point. The point is that she didn't get to sit next to the person she really wanted to. BUT, she came to not take this for granted because unlike last year where they were on complete opposite sides of the room, this time around he was closer... A lot closer. Diagonally behind her to be more exact. But with just the first few minutes of class starting, she wasn't sure if she wanted to take her words back. The fact that he was sitting right behind her where he could or could not (most likely could not) be looking at her, it made her nervous.

After what seemed like a few hours of suffocation and torture, Areum rushed to her locker first things first during break just because that was the only place she could think of going. She began to keep herself busy by arranging things around, even though there was really nothing to arrange in her empty locker. She just needed something to allow the time to pass by. 

Just as she was doing this, her hands stopped right where they were, and it was as if time had stopped for her too. At the corner of her eye, she could see a figure coming her way and it only required a few seconds for her to know who it was. Her eyes began to frantically move around while her mind was also spinning around. She grabbed her already-well-organized and perfectly-stacked books, and began to arrange them around once again just to make herself look busy.

When she somehow confirmed that he was at his locker, which was right across from hers, she gathered a heap of courage and slightly turned around to see what he was doing. She saw him putting and transferring things from his backpack to his locker, and every few seconds he would move a strand of hair that was getting into his eyes.

Realizing that she was staring for too long, she quickly turned around and continued to "mind her own business". However, her urge to mind her own business was suddenly interrupted by a sense of displeasure in herself. How long was she going to keep acting like this? How long was she going to keep avoiding him even though she wants to talk to him more than anything else? She began to think through if whether or not she should say something, even if it was just a simple hi. She wanted this year to be at least different where she would have the courage to talk to him, and possibly, if the heavens was on her side, get to know him. But yet again, with a timid and gauche personality like hers, it was merely impossi-

"Hey, sorry to bother you Areum."

Areum's body turned into stone and her breathing had come to a halt. She remained still as ever with her eyes wide open, contemplating if she was just imagining things because of her desperate wish just now. But when she came to think about it, that voice sounded too real to just be her imagination. She slowly turned around, and immediately, she felt a sudden change of blood rushing through her body along with a crazy fast pace of her heartbeat. There he was- standing just a few feet away while looking straight at her!

"Y-yes?" Way to go Han Areum! First time talking to your crush, and this is how you respond! 

"I was wondering if I could ask you a favor,"

Favor? From Areum?! 

"Y-yeah. Of course."

"My locker's been getting a little packed lately because of my sports bag, and I can barely put anything else in there. And you're the only person around here (as in the area where their lockers are) that I really know..."

The only person around here that he really knows? As in Han Areum?!

"So I was wondering if I could possibly put some of my things in your locker. But of course- it's fine if you don't want to."

Like the slow and dumb person she is at times (even though we can't exactly blame her for acting like this), Areum took a moment to think about what her crush had just asked of her. But to be more exact, she was still trying to comprehend if this was all real. Was he really asking her for this favor? HER?! But wait, it's fine if you don't want to? Is he out of his mind?!

"Yeah, don-don't worry about it," she started cooly, or at least tried to. "I don't really have a lot to put in my locker as you can see." She slightly moved to the side to show the proof to him for whatever reason. "So you're more than welcome to put whatever you need in there."

Areum fell into a storm of awe the moment a smile appeared on his face where he proceeded to transfer some of the things from his locker to hers. She still couldn't believe that her crush had just talked to her, and asked her for a favor because she was the only one around that he really knew. This was their first time actually talking despite being in the same class the school year before or having their lockers right across from each other. Sometimes she even wondered if he knew about her existence. However, this whole moment just changed everything and erased her doubts. 

She had thought that the school year was going to be like all others where she would spend everyday counting down the days, hours, and seconds left until the school year was over. But with what started off as a bitter and rancorous day, she now had something to look forward to everyday. 

... Or so she thought. 

She went to her locker first thing the next morning, and again pretended to act like she was busy doing whatever she could find to make her look that way. She just wanted to make sure that if he needed anything from her locker, then she would be there to open it. Also because she still couldn't believe that she was sharing her locker with her crush, and wanted to use this as a possible way to get closer with him. (The odd little things that hit us when it comes to our crush)

However, very much to her disappointment, he didn't show up. And with that, it only set her off into a despondent mood that we cannot exactly blame her for. I guess along the way she became a little delusional with the thought that this whole sharing locker thing could lead to a possible friendship between them (or perhaps even more that she foolishly had hoped for). But after all, the only reason why he approached her in the first place was because he needed somewhere to store the rest of his things that couldn't fit in his own locker. 

When she arrived in class, her eyes immediately dragged itself to where his seat was, which he already was at. With no words exchanged between the two or even a hint of eye contact, the rest of class time was filled with disappointment. She was stupid for getting her hopes up, she thought to herself. 

When one of her favorite times of the day was finally here, she wasted no time to walk to her locker. She thought it was weird how she was in a more downcasted and dispirited mood than the day before because of her crush. However, she began to feel upset with herself when she realized that she was putting the blame on him even though this wasn't his fault and rather hers for being delusional. 

Just as she was walking through the crowded hallway filled with 7th graders who were still trying to find their way around, she thought for a moment that someone was pulling a prank on her. But how would any 7th graders know her name? 

Before she could think any further of who was calling her name and respond to it, her heart nearly came to a stop when someone appeared next to her so suddenly. And as if that wasn't already fatal enough for her weak and fragile heart, she nearly lost it when she saw who it was. 

"Heading to your locker?" The curve to the corner of his lips and eyebrows perked up, but not enough to where you would call it a smile. But just enough to sway away every doubt and disappointment in Areum. 

"Oh- Yeah." She stuttered like a fool, of course. 

"Good timing. I need to grab my math book but can't exactly remember if it's in yours or mines."

"It's in mines-" Realizing how creepy that kind of sounded. "I saw it- When I was at my locker this morning."

But instead of a weirded and creeped out look like Areum had expected, he responded with a friendly smile. 

"Sorry if this is an inconvenience to you," he apologized while moving things back and forth from his backpack to Areum's locker when they arrived. 

Meanwhile, Areum was standing on the side and watching him. "No. It's fine," she quickly said. "My locker's always empty anyways since I'm not active with any clubs or sports or anything, unlike you who probably has a lot to carry around because of volleyball." she chuckled in order to strike up a conversation. However, it didn't take long for her smile to fade away when she realized something. She saw how concentrated his eyes were while putting things away and even seemed like he was in a bit of a rush that he might have missed the last couple words Areum said. 

"Thanks a lot Areum," he said as he began to zip up his backpack with a bit of a struggle, confirming that he most likely did not hear what Areum just said. 

A forced smile appeared on Areum's face, but she was brought back into a hole of disappointment with the way her words were so easily brushed off. 

"I have to go, so I'll see you later in class. Thanks again!" But instead of leaving right away like Areum had expected by now, she was caught off guard when he took a step forward and gave her a friendly pat on the left arm before flashing one of his smiles that never fails to flutter Areum's heart. She wasn't sure if she was just dreaming or out of her mind, but to her it seemed like his eyes were filled with sparkles that made his eyes shine even more. Whatever it was, it managed to replace every little disappointment inside of her with solace and delight. He then took off in the opposite direction, completely clueless of the many feelings that he strucked into Areum within the course of just minutes.

And with just that, Areum felt butterflies in her stomach form as her heart also began to thump fast. With what started off in the 7th grade as a simple crush on the new boy, she never imagined that it would turn out to be like this. She thought that the simple crush was going to stay as a simple crush until it would eventually go away by itself, but with the way things are turning out now, she realized just how much it has changed. 

Maybe things weren't going to turn out like her delusional dreams, and it was okay. It certainly was a lot better than never having a single word exchanged between them where she would constantly wonder if he even knows about her existence. 

Regardless, her "simple" crush was starting to grow for Oh Sehun. 

 

~End of Chapter 21~