Back to Love

Back to Love

Moments of love

 

 

 

Tell me can you feel my heart beat
Tell me as I kneel down at your feet
I knew there would come a time
When these two hearts would
entwined just put your hand in mine
Forever

For so long I have been an island
When no-one could ever
Reach the shores
And we've got a whole lifetime to share
And I'll always be there, darling this I swear

--I do, Westlife

 

 

 

The next day, Donghae confronted Yoona about the misunderstanding that was going on between the three of us. He told Yoona that he wasn’t interested to her at all. And that he sees her as a plain friend, only because she was my friend. He even said straight to the point that he didn’t like her. I heard everything he said to her. I was staying somewhere—eavesdropping. I hid because Donghae told me to do so. Then we passed to be junior students the next school year, the news easily scattered. Yoona transferred to different school. I felt pity for her because I saw pain in her eyes when Hae confronted her. But I couldn’t do anything about it.

 

 

Days really rolled by so quickly that our years in secondary school turned out to its end. Everything went so fine. The challenges that I’ve been through was enough to be my chariot in reaching my dreams. Though when I was a little child I only dreamt of graduating in college and helped my parents. But in good ways, my dreams changed a bit. I wanted to be a successful fashion designer and get marry with Donghae and build a happy family with him.

 

 

It was our final year being a 12th grader and I was getting excited for the upcoming graduation ball before the graduation day.

 

 

I was alone in the house that Saturday. The sky started spattering dark hue. I saw the sudden heaviness of the billowing clouds. I opened my window then sparkling droplets trickled down from heaven, touching my face.

 

 

A low rumble of thunder rippled through the countryside, reaching my ears. I caught raindrops with my hands. I smiled as my hands turned wet and felt the coldness of the rain. I closed my eyes then as the sounds of the rain turned out to be melodies in my ears. I started enjoying it.

 

 

“A sudden heavy rain.” I mumbled as I decided to close the window. It was half-way there when I saw Hae. He was dancing mischievously under the rain.

 

 

“Let’s enjoy the rain!” he yelled out as he jumped from one place to another like frogs.

 

 

“Aren’t we going to get colds if we stay there?” I plainly asked.

 

 

“Of course not. We’ll straight to the shower after bathing under Mr. Rains blessing.” He answered.

 

 

I wasn’t hesitant that time. For I know, Donghae was saying the truth. And I know that he didn’t want me to be in trouble because of his silly ideas.

 

 

“Fine! I’ll coming!” I shouted without thinking that we were not young anymore. I will be turning 18 soon. So, I guess, it wasn’t right for me to do things such that. But my young heart was pleading inside me. Besides, I missed doing it. It’s been quite awhile.

 

 

I ran hastily down the stair. Thankful enough that mom and dad wasn’t at home yet.

 

 

And as I opened the door, I saw Hae, standing before me. He was dripping wet. “Come on my princess, let’s enjoy the rain.” He said, extending his hand—waiting for my hand.

 

 

We ran, holding hand in hand like we did before when we were still young and innocent. It was fun under the rain. We chased each other and played hide and seek. It was Donghae’s turn to find me.

 

 

“Look for your best hiding place, my princess. Coz your prince is coming…” He shouted as he leaned facing the wall.

 

 

“No peeking, prince…No cheating…Count from 1 to 10…” I said as I found the best place for hiding.

 

 

“Okay! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5…” he said.

 

 

“Don’t count too fast, prince.” I reminded him.

 

 

“Yeah! 6…7…8…9…10…are you ready?” He asked, yelling. But I decided not to answer him anymore. “I’m right there beside you…” He continued. I know right then, he was telling a lie.

 

 

He went to the garage.

 

 

“Boo!”

 

 

*fails

 

 

He went to the backyard.

 

 

“Boo!”

 

 

*fails

 

 

He went to the garden.

 

 

“Boo!”

 

 

*fails

 

 

He went to the pool and to the miniature doll house at the right winged of our house.

 

 

“Boo!”

 

 

*fails

 

 

Half an hour had gone, yet and still he didn’t find me. Hae looked and searched at the common places I hid when I was a little. “I’m witty to hide myself there.” I whispered laughing all by myself.

 

 

But luck wasn’t on my side that time. The rain suddenly subsided without my knowing and I started sneezing continuously as I felt my lips, jaw and knees were shaking from too much cold.

 

 

“Boo!” Hae said, trying to surprise me. Well, he succeeded in surprising me. But he was more surprised when I suddenly fell. Luckily, his senses and reaction were fast that he came squarely before I hit the ground.

 

 

“Jessica…” he called out my name as I fell into his arms. “Are you okay?”

 

 

I heard him right. But I couldn’t talk. All I did was to nod at him. He tried to stand up but losses his balance and we both hit the wet lawn. I was over him and he was under me. My hands were fitted on his chest. Panic was obviously seen on our faces. Everything happened so swiftly that we ended up with that horrifying position.

 

 

“Aaahhh!” He shouted as I knew it pained his back.

 

 

“Oh my…I’m so—sorry…” I said in panic as I tried removing myself away from him. Trying hard to pull myself up, my hands weren’t strong enough that I found myself lying in him again.

 

 

He grabbed her by the shoulder. “It’s fine. I heard you sneezing that’s why I panic in finding you. Are you okay?” He asked.

 

 

I nodded. “Yes, I’m fine.”

 

 

“Let’s dry ourselves up. The rain stopped already.” He said.

 

 

I thought something would happen between us. Thank God, there was none. I wasn’t ready for anything yet. When we stood up, the rain started falling again. And this time, it was a little stronger than the first. The raindrops were large and colder.

 

 

We ran our separated ways to our home. We decided taking a warm bath before totally gets sick.

 

 

 

 

On Sunday, I let myself rest completely as another week was about to begin. It was getting exhausting as we both preparing for the graduation ball and ceremony. I didn’t mind wandering around downtown. I let myself to spoil inside my room, reading and doodling.

 

 

It was exactly 6 in the evening when mom knocked on my door. “My lady? Are you busy? Donghae is looking for you. He’s at the living room.” Mom informed me.

 

 

“I’m still hooked with reading. Just tell him to go up here, Mom, please?” I requested as my eyes were glued on the last chapter of R.L Stine Fear Street series.

 

 

“Okay, sweetie.” Mom replied.

 

 

“And one more thing, Mom. Can he join us for dinner tonight?” I asked as I ran to the door and opened it to ask Mom’s permission face to face.

 

 

“Of course, he can join us for dinner. Besides, I missed having dinner with my godson.” Mom agreed happily as she touched the tip of my nose.

 

 

“Thanks, Mom.” I said, giving her a quick bear hug.

 

 

Mom hugged me back and then left the room. Not long after, knocks from the door make me jumped off of my chair. I knew it was him. So, I ran my errands to the door and opened it with the book covering my face. Hiding the excitement that was appearing behind the cover of my book.

 

 

“My bookworm girl is busy reading again.” He said. I knew he was just right in front of me. Because I saw his shoes as my eyes looked down.

 

 

“Shhh…It’ll be finish. Two pages to go.” I said, extending my arm as a sign for him to come in. Happily, he got what I mean. He walked in silently and sat on my bed. He never talked. He never tried bugging me.

 

 

“I’m done. Why are you here?” I queried without looking his way. I heard him walking towards me.

 

 

“Are you willing to be my partner on this coming graduation ball?” He asked without hesitations.

 

 

I felt happy since he liked me to be his partner. Nonetheless, I was a little worried as he is the vice president of the student council who was handling the event. I was fully aware that he hasn’t enough time for me.

 

 

“I would love too. But aren’t you busy on that day?” I asked while doodling on my study table.

 

 

He kneeled down and looked closely to what I was doing and uttered. “I’m not going to ask you this if I don’t have enough time to be with you on that night.”

 

 

“Fine. But still, you have to promise me that how busy you are on that evening, you’ll still take care of me, kays?” I said. I knew I sounded a little demanding. But I was just looking for an assurance from him. Withal, I wanted to enjoy the last party as a 12th grader.

 

 

“I promise.” He swore as he cupped my face to face him. He looked straight and serious as he said it.

 

 

 

 

Mom called us out for dinner. We enjoyed the dinner with him. We talked about so much stuff in the dining table. After the dinner, Donghae asked me to accompany him for a walk outside since its starry sky. We laid down the green lawn in front of our house. The torch light was glimmering amidst the darkness. Side by side, we watched stars under the dark sky full of stars.

 

 

Donghae was pointing different constellation he saw. I was amazed that he knew a lot of it. Cassiopeia, Cancer, Southern Cross, Twins, Square, Little bear and big bear.

 

 

 “Jessica? Do you still remember when I asked you to wait six years?” He asked out of the topic. We were just in stars, and then suddenly the story escaped to us.

 

 

“Yeah. We were 12 then. Why?” I asked with curiosity.

 

 

“Are you ready for it to happen?” he asked.

 

 

“I don’t know if I’m ready because I don’t even know the reason why I have to wait for such a long time for it to happen.” I mumbled as I stared at the sky blankly. I didn’t know what I was searching for up above. Or I was waiting for a miracle to happen between us.

 

 

“It will happen soon. I don’t want to give you any idea. Just wait.” He said happily. His eyes were twinkling like stars, too.

 

 

“Okay.” I answered in terse. Though I was clueless, I still felt the unhidden excitement.

 

 

“Ah, let’s practice for our dance. I still didn’t memorize steps.” He said as I stood up and extending his hands.

 

 

“I’m lazy to dance.” I said as I pouted my lips and wrinkled my eyebrows and even forehead.

 

 

“Come on. Let’s dance.” He insisted. But still I declined his favour. “Ah, you really don’t want.” He continued as he tried tickling me here and there until I surrender and said yes. “Can I have this dance?” He asked me, extending his hand again while I calmed down myself and breath in lungful of air.

 

 

I laid my hand to his and he held it tightly. His other hand s around my waist and I placed my other hand on his shoulder while we moved and danced without song. I stepped on his foot several times until I learned the proper cadence and swing. I felt happy.

 

 

For the second time, my world revolved in slow motion that night. Everything around us moved languidly. I saw his smiles that caused my heart to melt. I stared at his eyes that twinkle like stars. Every second was a dream came true. Every single minute was a lifetime to treasure. Every hour was just so perfect.

 

 

I thought through years that had passed, our feelings was going to change. But it wasn’t. In fact, the electricity that sent me shiver down my spine was still there. The warmth feeling encircling my face whenever we were standing a foot away from each other was still there. Every thing was still alive.

 

 

Our love was still alive.

 

 

I love you so deeply,
I love you so much,
I love the sound of your voice
And the way that we touch.
I love your warm smile
And your kind, thoughtful way,
The joy that you bring
To my life every day.
I love you today
As I have from the start,
And I'll love you forever
With all of my heart.

--I love you forever, Amanda Nicole Martinez