Back to Love

Back to Love

The Party

 

 

 

 

 

I just swear

That I’ll always be there

I give everything

And anything

And I will always care

Through weakness and strength

Happiness and sorrow

For better, for worse

I will love you

With every beat of my heart

--From This Moment On, Shania Twain

 

 

 

 

The day that seniors were waiting for had finally arrived—the graduation ball. Everyone was really excited. And I knew every boy and girl were preparing. But I wasn’t one of them. It was exactly 9 in the morning and the sun was all up and shining, yet I was still on my bed, feeling lazy. After the long weekdays of practicing every after class, I always went home late and feeling tired. It may sound crazy, but it was true. Then on the next day, I had to wake up early for school and went home late again. It was a sudden change of my school’s daily routine.

 

 

The clock continued ticking and I didn’t mind it until I took a nap. I decided to close my sleepy eyes for awhile. But the “for-a-while” that I did, took forever. What actually happened wasn’t a nap at all. It was a complete sleep for 6 straight hours.

 

 

6 hours later…

 

 

I was still in a deep sleep when someone tried to disturbed me. “Jessica…Jessica…” a soft voice said. I thought it was all a dream.

 

 

“Hmm…” I groaned as I moved to the other side of the bed. But the soft voice continued calling my name. “Jessica…Jessica…” that was I completely heard. It never stopped. Until I decided to open my eyes.

 

 

“Mom?!” I said shocked.

 

 

“I’m sorry to disturb your sleep, sweetie. But it’s 3 in the afternoon already. I don’t think you have enough time to prepare.” Mom said, caressing my hair.

 

 

“I didn’t know I sleep that long. Oh geez, I have to prepare now.” I said as I hurriedly woke up without doing my legendary stretching anymore.

 

 

“I thought you forgot about the party. I get your gown early this morning. And also, my handsome godson came here to check on you. But I told him you’re still asleep.” Mom informed me as I started preparing my accessories and other stuff to be used.

 

 

“Mom, did he tell you what time he’ll going to fetch me?” I asked as I looked to where mother was.

 

 

“Yeah, he said he’ll be at exactly 7 in the evening.” Mom answered.

 

 

“Thanks, Mom.” I said as I pecked a kiss on her cheek and ran through the shower room.

 

 

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Before dressing your self, come downstairs. I cooked pasta and baked blueberry pie. Have your snack first.” Mom said.

 

 

“Okay, Mom. Thank you so much.” I said as I the shower.

 

 

After taking bath, I wrapped myself with my favourite pink rob and went downstairs. I saw mom and dad happily chatting with each other. I smelled the sweet scent of the blueberry.

 

 

“Finally, you’re here.” Dad said with a smile. “Seat and join us for snack before dressing up.” He continued.

 

 

Mom was serving us pasta with a smile. I didn’t know why they were smiling like that. “Eat well.” Mom uttered as she placed pasta on my plate.

 

 

“Yes, Mom.” I said, nodding.

 

 

“Are you excited?” Dad asked.

 

 

I munched a forkful of pasta before answering his question. “Not really.” I said.

 

 

“Why?” Mom asked.

 

 

“I’m just thinking that something might happen tonight.” I said before placing a forkful of pasta on my mouth again.

 

 

“This is just your second party to attend to before your graduation. And we want you to enjoy it.” Dad said.

 

 

“Thanks, Dad.” I said, smiling.

 

 

After the snack, I went straight to my bedroom and started dressing up. I did the make up all by myself. And mom was the one in charge of my hair. She curled it and placed little tiara on the middle. My dress was a tube style floor length balloon dress with a pink ribbon attached on its waist.

 

 

“You looked like a princess, sweetie.” Mom uttered with surprise.

 

 

I didn’t believe until I turned to see myself in front of the mirror. “Wow…” it was all I could say as I stared back at my reflection. Mom was saying the truth. I was still mesmerizing when Dad knocked on the door.

 

 

“Is she ready, honey?” Dad queried.

 

 

“Five minutes more, honey. Why?” Mom answered.

 

 

“Donghae is already here.” Dad said.

 

 

“Okay. She’ll be there.” Mom answered.

 

 

Mom helped me in wearing my glass-like shoes. And stood up and took a last glimpse of myself in the mirror before walking towards the door. Mom opened it for me and I saw Dad’s reaction—astonished. He hugged me before escorting me down the stair. We were taking every step slowly. When we finally reached the end of the stair, I saw Donghae at the living room. He stood up and caught in surprise.

 

 

“Does she look beautiful?” Mom asked him.

 

 

He was in a dropped-jaw moment before his mind absorbed mom’s question.” Y—y—yes. Perfectly beautiful.” He said stuttering.

 

 

“I believe so as it is written all over your face.” Mom said and chuckled.

 

 

Dad reached for Donghae’s hand and uttered. “Take care of our princess tonight. Enjoy!” and placed my hand on his. He held it tightly. We both smiled as we stood up at each other’s side.

 

 

“The prince with his princess.” Mom started teasing us.

 

 

“Mom…” I said as I tried stopping her.

 

 

“What?” Mom asked innocently.

 

 

“You’re teasing us.” I said as I tried to be pissed.

 

 

“I’m not teasing.” Mom said in denial.

 

 

“Alright, stop that. You’ll be late now. Be here before 12 midnight.” Dad said as he kissed me goodbye.

 

 

“Drive safely, Donghae.” Mom reminded him before kissing and hugging us goodbye, too.

 

 

On our way to the venue, Donghae and I were talking comfortably. He said that he wouldn’t be around for an hour or two as he was in-charge on hosting the party. But he made sure to keep an eye on me and be with on the dance our section had prepared.

 

 

The talk was suddenly cut off when my phone rang.

 

 

“Hello?” I said.

 

 

“Jessica? This is Taecyeon—your secret admirer. I’m on my way to your home to fetch you.” He said, spilling the beans at the wrong time.

 

 

“Ok Taecyeon? Uhmm…I’m on the road with Donghae. I’m sorry, but don’t bother dropping by at our house.” I said straight.

 

 

“I didn’t know you’re with Donghae. So, see you at the school then.” He said as he hung up before I could speak again.

 

 

“Who’s that?” Donghae asked suspiciously.

 

 

“Ok Taecyeon, the man behind the love letters that’s on my locker everyday. Do you remember when I asked you if you know someone with the pen name of Mr. Poet before?” I said as I placed my phone inside my pouch and looked at him.

 

 

“Ah, yes. The one that is leaving you letters. Why did he call?” he asked as he remembered.

 

 

“He wanted to fetch me, but I said I’m with you and we’re on our way.” I answered.

 

 

“That’s good. Hmm…do you already meet him?” He asked so sudden.

 

 

“Honestly, no. Maybe he will reveal himself to me tonight at the party.” I said.

 

 

“That’s good. I want to meet him, too.” He said.

 

 

“Then, I will introduce you to him.” I said as he nodded in agreement. I didn’t know why but I saw a sudden changed in Donghae’s mood. We didn’t go back to the conversation we have before Taecyeon called up. He remained silent until we reached the school.

 

 

I didn’t mind asking him what was wrong. Maybe he was just pre-occupied by the things he was going to do or I was just thinking the other way around.

 

 

When we reached the venue, Donghae accompanied me to the table and helped me find a comfortable seat for the two of us. After awhile, he excused himself as his colleagues in the student council called him. I was alone in the table, hoping I could find someone who I can talk to since it wasn’t yet the time to start the party. My eyes looked at the loveliness of the place. I saw everyone having little chit-chat with one another. And everyone was obviously having a great time.

 

 

There were few awesome entertainment numbers prepared by the different club as their tribute to the graduating students. I felt happy and entertained after seeing them. Somehow, in the middle of the performance, I felt a sudden loneliness. For I was going to leave the institution that shaped me and contributed a lot to me to become a better lady and person that I am.

 

 

But the loneliness suddenly faded away, when Donghae officially opened the dance floor. I heard lots of shouting from every senior who were excited to do the move and groove. Though Hae opened the dance floor and everyone was dancing, my was still in tacked on the seat as I waited for him to come over and ask a dance from me.

 

 

I hated to say this, but that night, I was a flower on the wall. I sat there for hours waiting for Donghae. But as I looked at him, he was so busy doing his tasks and duties as the president of the student council who was in-charged of everything—even peace and order inside the venue.

 

 

I was like a fading flower under the intense hit of the sun, waiting for someone to water me up. It didn’t take some time until someone asked me for a dance.

 

 

“May I have this dance with you?” A hand appeared, waiting for my hand at the most desperate moment that night.

 

 

I looked up to see who it was. A tall young man, smiling genially was standing before me. He looked so handsome. Yet I was hesitant to have dance with him. I was worrying how Donghae would react if he saw me with the guy we actually both didn’t know.

 

 

“Sorry. But I’m waiting for my date to come.” I said, refusing.

 

 

“Is that so? Then, can I sit beside you and have a short talk?” He said as he pulled the chair and sat beside me without my permission.

 

 

With that instance, I found him a little proud-stomached. “I didn’t say yes to you.” I protested.

 

 

“I think you’re acting like that because I’m not yet introducing myself to you. Let me do so. I’m Ok Taecyeon—you’re secret admirer.” He said very straight without winking his eyes and moving his eyeballs.

 

 

“Really?” I tried to turn a blind eye after hearing his words.

 

 

“Believe me. I’m saying the truth.” He said as he saw doubt in me.

 

 

“Then, prove to me.” I said, challenging him.

 

 

“You may fall from the sky, you may fall from a tree, but the best way to fall…is in love with me.” He said in a serious manner. But I found it so cheesy—that I couldn’t help myself but to laugh hard.

 

 

 “I didn’t know you’re such a cheesy young man.” I said continuously laughing. I was thankful that the speakers were so loud that no one could hear me laughing crazily about his cheesiness.

 

 

“Why are you laughing like that?” He asked, wondering.

 

 

“Nothing…nothing…” I said as I placed my hand on my stomach that was starting to ache.

 

 

“I maybe so cheesy, but beyond it is my heart seriously falling in love with you.” He said as his face turned serious again.

 

 

Tight-lipped—that was I after hearing what he said. I couldn’t find words to say until Donghae came in the scene and approached me. It was so sudden that I didn’t know what to do. Yet and still I was very thankful and relieved that he came in the perfect timing.

 

 

“Jessi—“ He didn’t continue when shock shook him.

 

 

“Hae…” that was all I could say.

 

 

“Hey man! What’s up?” Taecyeon said very cool.

 

 

Donghae looked at him and then pivoted his gaze back to me then to him again. “Do I know you?” Donghae said in a rugged way.

 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m Ok Taecyeon. And you are?” He said introducing himself with a wide smile on his face.

 

 

“So, you’re Ok Taecyeon. What’re you doing here?” Donghae said with scrutinizing eyes.

 

 

“I’m here to have a short talk with, Jessica. And ask her for a dance.” He replied, adding spark to the scene.

 

 

“Really? You can talk to her but ask her for a dance, you cannot!” Donghae exclaimed. I saw a sudden changed in his face. His eyes were in flame. I didn’t like what I was witnessing.

 

 

“Who are you to decide for her? Are you her boyfriend?” Taecyeon said, sarcastically.

 

 

Donghae’s stared looked intense. “You should start wailing for I’m her soon-to-be-boyfriend. So, shut up, go away and do your own business. Stop bugging my girl.” Donghae answered.

 

 

“Really? I don’t—“

 

 

But before Taecyeon could say anything that will cause trouble, I intervened. “Stop this, okay? I’m here to enjoy and not to pacify two men with childish minds.” I uttered as I wrinkled my forehead, before walking away. I was on the exit door when someone grabbed me by my arm. “Aren’t you going to leave me alone?!” I yelled that the guard standing at the door were astonished.

 

 

“Jessica…” Donghae said with a pleading face.

 

 

“I know you’re still busy with your tasks. Go on, I can enjoy by myself.” I said as I took away my arm in his grip. But he ran and stood before me.

 

 

“No more huff, okay? Look, I wanted to dance with my princess.” He said, cupping my face as he brought near his forehead to my forehead.

 

 

“Do you really want to dance with me?” I asked as I bowed my head.

 

 

“Of course, I want to dance with you. So, please, stop huffing, okay? And let’s just dance and enjoy this night.” He said, calming me.

 

 

I didn’t say no to him. Instead, I wrapped my arms around his arm and walked with him to the dance floor. I was shy placing my hands on his shoulder. What he did was he led my hands to his shoulder and then placed his hands on my waist. Together we swung and spun to the beat of the smooth romantic music.

 

 

 

 

After the party, we left the venue very late as Donghae finished his tasks and duties that were assigned to him as the head of the event. We were walking on the way to the parking lot of the school when someone whistled. A man hiding amidst the darkness slowly walked towards us. He hid his face and revealed only his body.

 

 

“Who are you?” I queried as I felt fear inside.

 

 

“You’ll know me shortly. Sorry, I’m just pissed with him.” He said as he pointed his forefinger out to Donghae.

 

 

“Show yourself, you coward!!” Donghae shouted while his eyes were exceedingly intense.

 

 

“You’re so arrogant. Let’s see what you can do to protect your soon-to-be-girlfriend.” He said as he was holding a baseball bat.

 

 

I drew near to Donghae, but before I could reach him someone grabbed me from behind and took me away from Donghae.

 

 

“Donghaaaeeee…” I shouted for his name as I tried to fight back to whoever was holding me that time. I saw Donghae from afar as he searched for me in the vicinity. But he couldn’t find me. I wanted to shout, so he could run to me. But a guy put a muzzle, using a piece of cloth in my mouth. I felt hopeless.

 

 

“Who are you? Show yourself to me!” Donghae shouted as he held his fists upright, getting ready for the approaching storm.

 

 

“Let me see how strong you are.” The man behind darkness said as he slowly trod his way to Donghae.

 

 

I couldn’t help but feel nervous for Donghae’s safety. “Ok Taecyeon?” I mumbled through my breaths as the man behind the darkness revealed himself. I was surprised. I was in fear.

 

 

The next scene crushed my heart into pieces as Ok Taecyeon punched Donghae on the face twice before beating him on his left leg. And he scourged him until Donghae completely fell on the ground with his face down. Blood were dripping everywhere—from his nose and cracked lips.

 

 

“See…you don’t deserve Jessica. You can’t even save her now. You’re so unsteady and worthless.” Taecyeon said, smiling devilishly.

 

 

I saw Donghae writhed in pain. While, I, watched him and did nothing to stop what was happening. I was crying and knelt down on my knees. Begging on the man that captured me. He removed the piece of cloth and untied the rope around my wrists.

 

 

From the time the man freed me, I ran hastily to where Donghae was lying so helplessly. “Donghae…” I yelled while crying.

 

 

“Your lady is coming. C’mon, stand up, man and save your lady in my hands.” Taecyeon said as he tried hitting him again. Yet before he could do so, I kneeled down and helped him.

 

 

“Run. Don’t worry about me.” Donghae murmured, his voice sounded so exhausted and grasping for more air.

 

 

“No, I can’t leave you alone here. Whether you like it or not, I’ll be staying here. We’ll go home together.” I said stubbornly.

 

 

“Get out of my way! I’m not yet through with that young man!” Taecyeon yelled as he held the baseball bat in a tight gripped.

 

 

“No way! Hit him one more time or you’ll be kick out of the students graduation lists?” I queried as I tried frightening him.

 

 

He smirked. “Do you think I’m afraid of that? Do what makes you happy. Then get out of my way and let me finish what I’ve started.” Taecyeon said, making a stand on his words.

 

 

I stood up as I covered Donghae with my back. I stretched my arms widely and uttered bravely, “Stop, please, stop…it will do you no good. So just stop!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

 

 

Slowly, Taecyeon released the baseball bat on the grip of his hand. I heard the sound that the bat made. He smirked again and uttered, “Man, you’re still lucky because of this woman. We’ll see each other again soon and I’ll make sure that you’ll be lifeless.” He smirked insultingly and walked away.

 

 

The aftermath crept in as I felt my knees shaking tremendously that I lose my balance and languidly kneeled down on the ground. My fleshes were all shaking and my tears were unstoppably falling, wetting my cheeks.

 

 

“Hae, relax. You’re all fine.” I said as I wiped the blood on his face with my handkerchief.

 

 

“Please, don’t tell my parents about this, Jessica.” He said.

 

 

“Okay, I promise that. Can you stand up? Let’s go home now. I’ll do the driving.” I said as I helped him in standing. I hung his arm on my shoulder and we started walking to the car.

 

 

“I thought, I’ll be losing you tonight…I can’t imagine myself without you. I can’t see my future without you in my life. Whatever happens, I’ll always stand beside you. Loving you behind closed door for now, waiting patiently until the day that I can freely say I love you too, Lee Donghae…”I said to myself as I stared to his bloody face secretly. I breathed a sigh of relief—thankful that we were still lucky to be alive.