Back to Love

Back to Love

Innocent years together

 

 

It was a night that brought us closer together. It was an unexpected night for a 7-year old boy and girl like us. Maybe it was really destined to happen—to be together right until the very end. And so, we stood at each other’s side through good times and bad times. We believed that we made for each other—to love each other ‘til eternity.

 

 

During our innocent years, we were already tested by faith. I still remembered when we turned 8; we were still in grade school back then, when I bit the ear of my classmate named Eunhyuk. I don’t have the plan to do such, but because he bullied Donghae and said Donghae was a gay I loose my temper over that shallow matter.

 

 

I was punished by our teacher then. I stood up outside our classroom with my arms stretched up high. I felt so embarrassed, but in my mind I convinced myself that I did the right thing. Donghae wasn’t a gay. What Eunhyuk said was a lie. A very big lie!

 

 

Then when we turned 9, we loved walking and playing in the middle of the forest where we enjoyed playing under the shade of a big tree. Not until a snake came from nowhere and almost bit me. I was so thankful that Donghae was there. I shouted out so loud when the snake’s head was already facing me. My mother told me it’s one of the dangerous animals. And snake was too dangerous for human, especially to children like us. But he valiantly smashed the head of the snake with a piece of thick wood in just a good second. I quickly covered my eyes and continued shouting. I was so afraid then to open my eyes. I thought Donghae was hurt. But I thought wrong. It was the snake who’s badly hurt. The snake lost its life in the hands of my knight in shining armour—Donghae. He’s my living superman!

 

 

When we reached 10, though school was getting tough, we still have time to play and hangout. During weekends, Donghae went to our house for a visit with his parents. While both our parents were chatting about different stuff, we went to my favourite spot—at the garden where my doll house and other toys stays. We played all day long and when we feel tired, I spread out my favourite pink blanket then we laid on it side by side. We watched the sky with mixed colours like orange, indigo with tint of blue. When it’s time to go home, Donghae would run to me and gave me a quick hug. He’s such a sweet guy.

 

 

When we reached 11, we celebrated our 4th year of being good friends. Donghae invited me to go to carnival. We rode different rides—merry-go-round, Ferris wheel, bump cars, and others. We watched clown show and then ate ice cream at the same time. And then we rode a train that enters to a long, wide, and dark tunnel. Ghostly creatures appeared before my eyes and that was really surprising. With their fearful faces and costumes that made me so scared everyone would do the same as what I did. I grasped tightly into Donghae’s arms. I even shouted that my voice echoed inside. Donghae just laughed. After the horror and goose bumps it caused me, Donghae would always remind me that they’re humans wearing costumes. And they scared people for entertainment.

 

 

I still remembered on that day when Donghae gave me a surprised. We were just about to leave the carnival when he suddenly stopped me.

 

 

“I have something for you.” He said in a smile.

 

 

“Really? What is it?” I asked excitedly.

 

 

“Close your eyes first.” He said and then I hastily followed. “Open your palm.” He commanded and then I followed again. Right in the middle of my palm, I felt something in it, but I couldn’t figure out. “You can open your eyes now. “ He finally said.

 

 

I quickly opened my eyes and I was really surprised in what I saw. It was a necklace with the half portion of a heart. “It’s beautiful.” I uttered in glee.

 

 

“Do you like it?” He queried as he stood right before me, examining my entire reactions.

 

 

“Yes” I said with a nod. “But where’s the other half?” I curiously asked.

 

 

“It’s here.” He said as he revealed it. It was already around his neck.

 

 

With tears in my eyes, he placed it around my neck. “Thank you. Thank you so much.” I uttered and I was overly emotional over that matter already.

 

 

“You’re welcome.” He replied.

 

 

With no second thoughts, I gave him a quick kiss right in his cheeks. He obviously blushed after that act.

 

 

In the middle of the sunset, we walked together with wide grin on our faces and happiness in our hearts.

 

 

 

Innocent days

Innocent years

Together we made memories

Memories to remember

And to forget is never

We collect happiness

We collect sadness

We collect tears

But between those emotions

Is our love strengthen by challenges