Back to Love

Back to Love

Last night together

 

 

 

So please believe me for these words I say are true

And don’t deny me a lifetime loving you

If you ask, will I be true? Do I give my all to you?

Then I will say I do

--I do, Westlife

 

 

 

The next day, the sun strikes up high so brightly. Donghae wanted to go for a walk outside, but I was too lazy to grant what he wanted. I lay in the couch with my legs entwined for several hours already after we ate breakfast. Though my legs felt numb, I didn’t change my position. He sat beside me, munching his favourite chips.

 

 

“Do you want some?” he said, gleefully offering his chips to me.

 

 

“Thanks but I’m still full, Hae.” I said as I declined.

 

 

He looked at me closely. It seemed like he was evaluating my face, my mood. “Are you okay?” He queried, still his eyes were pasted on me.

 

 

“I’m okay.” I plainly answered.

 

 

“Then why I see sadness in your eyes?” He asked again. He was being inquisitive that day. And I started to hate his naughtiness.

 

 

“I just missed Mom and Dad. That’s all…” I said as I placed the hands under my chin and pouted my lips.

 

 

“Hmm…they’ll be back here first thing tomorrow morning. So, don’t be sad. Let’s just enjoy our last night together.” He suggested happily.

 

 

“I want to enjoy that, but I can’t do it when they’re still occupying my head.” I said.

 

 

“Well, if you continuously sit their doing nothing, you’ll surely miss them throughout the day. But if you grant what I want, you’ll somehow forget them for awhile.” He said.

 

 

“What should we do then?” I queried, accepting whatever idea he has on his mind.

 

 

“What about taking a walk in your garden?” He said.

 

 

I jumped off of my sit. “That’s a nice idea! I love flowers, Hae.” I said as I clapped my hands.

 

 

The sun was hiding behind the clouds when we went out of the house. Donghae was joyfully running his way to the garden. He didn’t even wait for me nor look back at me.

 

 

“Hey! Wait for me!!” I yelled out loudly as I started running too. But I was too clumsy that day. I wasn’t good at running anyway.  I stumbled down, causing to have wounds in my both knees and contusion in my right palm. I told you—I was too clumsy.

 

 

I cried aloud while calling for his name, like a child lost her parents in the middle of the crowd. I was still lying on the ground, feeling afraid of the blood that was coming out of my knees. Sweats and tears were dripping all over my face at the same time. “Donghae…Donghae…” That was all could say. But it seemed like Donghae didn’t hear me at all or should I say, he was currently enjoying whatever he was doing that was why he forgot about me.

 

 

The sun was starting peeping behind the clouds. Its hot rays were reaching the ground and the plants again. I couldn’t see what was happening around me as tears blurred my vision.

 

 

“Still you’re clumsy…” I heard a familiar voice. I slowly rubbed my eyes and then my vision came back to normal. I saw Donghae, standing before me. He have with him is a first aid kit.

 

 

“I thought you wouldn’t come…” I said as I started to cry again. Tears kept falling down my cheeks. And though I tried to stop it, I just couldn’t do it.

 

 

“Just one call, and surely I’ll be there.” He said as he kneeled down. “You’re wounds are big and a little deeper.” He continued. Before I could say anything else, he offered his back for a free piggy-back ride. He walked for couple of minutes to the veranda. He placed me to the couch there.

 

 

“You looked pale.” He said and I nodded.

 

 

“I’m afraid of blood.” I said as I looked away, avoiding a single glance to my wounds.

 

 

“I see…just close your eyes then while I’m tending on your wounds. Okay?” he said while opening the kit and placing on the table the antiseptic, cotton balls, medical gauze, and other things he thinks he needed. I gave him a nod and then I immediately closed my eyes.

 

 

He started cleaning my wounds. “Ouch!!” I said with all the pain I could put into words as I felt a sudden sting while he damped a cotton ball with povidone iodine. He started blowing air to my wounds to lessen the pain. According to him, it was an antiseptic solution that heals the wound easily. The sting feeling slowly faded away after sometime.

 

 

“You should be a little more careful next time. Avoid running since you’re too clumsy on doing it.” Donghae said as he placed a medical tape around the gauze.

 

 

I scratched the back of my head and said, “I will”.

 

 

After the treating moment, he carried me to the living room to take a rest while watching TV while he on the other hand was preparing our food.

 

 

After having our lunch together, we went upstairs. “I know you’re tired, so, catch some Zs.” He said as he accompanied me to my room. When we reached it, the rain started to pour down so hard. The hustling of wind was too strong as it touches my window.

 

 

“It was raining cats and dogs.” I said as I sat at the lower part of my bed.

 

 

“The sun was scorching hot this morning and then the rain fall down so hard all of a sudden. The weather is getting a little unpredictable nowadays.” He said as he took a sit beside me.

 

 

“Yeah.” I said, yawning.

 

 

“Sleepyhead already?” he asked as he glanced at me and then back to the window.

 

 

“A little…” I said as I started to lay my body down my bed. I felt warm in the comfort of my bed.

 

 

“Jessica, I have a question.” He said as he stretched his legs on my bed and crossed it together afterwards. I yawned again before I said, “What is it?”

 

 

“Do you think we made for each other?” He asked a question to me that I honestly didn’t know what the answer is.

 

 

“Yes.” I said, hiding the doubts inside me.

 

 

“Why do you say so?” he asked again.

 

 

I hold my tongue or awhile—thinking of any acceptable answer to say to him. But it took me minutes before I could make a stand to my answer. “Are we really meant for each other? If we aren’t made for each other, why knowing each other anyway?” I asked myself questions that would take some times to find answers.

 

 

“Do you think we made for each other?” I returned his question to him.

 

 

“I think we made for each other, if we’re not made for each other then why we are here today?” He said, putting a smile on his face.

 

 

That was the time, I felt a little of joy of spring inside me. We were thinking the same thought. I just couldn’t believe it would happen. Last night, we were just arguing about it. And now, everything was coming by to us smoothly.

 

 

“Jessica…” He said, catching my attention.

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

“Do you believe me when I say that I love you last night?” He said with a speck of hope in his voice.

 

 

“Of course, I do believe. Is there any reason for me to not believe in you?” I queried as I yawned again. My eyes couldn’t pull away the grogginess I was feeling that afternoon. So, before he could answer my question, I suddenly fell into the arms of dreamland.

 

 

 

Love is like a lump of gold,

Hard to get, and hard to hold.

Of all the girls I've ever met,

You're the one I can't forget.

I do believe that God above,

Created you for me to love.

He chose you from all the rest,

Because he knew I would love you best.
-Love, Loy Bowman

 

 

 

The cold dark room started to give chills down my spine. I started to feel the pain in my wounded knees as I pulled myself up away from my bed. The hard rain has stopped yet and still it leaves cold air in my entire room. The moon shared a little ray of its light to my room. I the lamp resting above my night table. Yellow beaming light brighten up my room. I saw Donghae beside me, still in a deep sleep.

 

 

I tried to move a little far from him, but before I could do it, he turned around facing me. His arm hugged my waist. He hummed for awhile and I thought he was already awake.

 

 

His breath touched my skin. It gave me a little warm inside. I mildly touched his hair for several times, before he made a sound. “Lay beside me.” He said in a husky way.

 

 

I laid down again—this time we’re closer together. The tip of his nose touched my neck. I sensed his breathing. His arm was still around my waist. I couldn’t move. My entire body froze for awhile when his body touched mine. My heart was in a high and low motion, fast and slow beating.

 

 

“W—what’s with this Ha—hae?” I asked, stuttering.

 

 

“Just lay still. I just want to hug you for awhile. I’ll do nothing except for the hug. Don’t worry.” He said as he hugged me tighter.

 

 

“O—okay.” I answered.

 

 

Silence walled up between us. No words, only breathing. No sounds, only beating of hearts.

 

 

I stared at the ceiling while cherishing the moment of us being together that night. Every time I have him, moments were getting sweeter and sweeter as time passed by. I couldn’t put into words how happy I was—happy and thankful for having someone like him in my life.

 

 

Donghae suddenly detangled his arm that was around my waist. He pulled his body away from the bed and sat with his bare feet on the floor. “Sorry for being too sweet tonight.” He uttered as he ruffled his hair at the back of his head.

 

 

“I—it’s fine.” I answered, still stuttering. I tapped his shoulder and smile though he couldn’t see it.

 

 

He turned around and in that instance, our eyes met. He drew closer to me. There was something in his eyes that I couldn’t resist myself from staring back. The tip of our nose touched each other. I couldn’t breathe normally.

 

 

“Hae…” I called out his name softly, enough to be heard by him.

 

 

His lips were about to touch mine. I didn’t know what to do. I closed my eyes in a split second before he claimed my first kiss—that was I thought. But my malicious mind thinks in advance. Donghae’s lips landed in right cheek. My heart stopped from beating for awhile.

 

 

“I’m not going to claim your first kiss until we’re officially together.” He said as he reached for my hand and squeezed it.

 

 

I knew right then that I was blushing. But it wasn’t obvious because of the yellow light. “Thanks for being such a gentle man.” That was all I could say.

 

 

Donghae smiled the same smile I noticed once in a while whenever sweet moments happened between us out of our control. And my heart suddenly stopped its beating for a moment when he looked at me—like I was going to melt anytime and anywhere just by his stare.

 

 

“I love you…I love you always.” He said as he lifted up my hand to put just above his chest. I felt the beating of his heart.

 

 

I was in a tight lipped momentum whenever he said those three little words to me. Hearing those were melodies to my ears. But I couldn’t give him the answer he was waiting for years to hear, not because I was playing hard-to-get game, but for the reason that I think there was always a right time for everything. I didn’t want to hurry up things between us. I wanted it to be slow, yet sweet and sure.