BACK TO LOVE

Back to Love

 

Again

 

 

It was a week after I graduated when I landed a job with the help of my father’s friend. The sun was up so brightly outside when I took a last glimpse of myself in front of the mirror. I smiled at the reflection of me and winked as I whispered the word “good luck”.

 

 

My parents weren’t around as they have a trip to Jeju Island early in the morning. I sat on the high-chaired in front of the kitchen counter as I placed the steaming hot cup of coffee on the saucer. I grabbed the newly delivered newspaper for a quick scan. I was about to take few sips of my coffee when the door bell rang.

 

 

I quickly trudged my way to the door and opened it. I was so surprised to see my boyfriend standing before me for real. He looked too exhausted as he smiled at me.

 

 

“You looked so weary,” I said as I planted a welcoming a kiss on his cheek and then wrapped both my arms around his arm. We walked to the living room and sat side by side—that was the only time he uttered.

 

 

“I took a quick nap at home after my arrival before I visited you.” He let out a very deep sigh.

 

 

“Tch! You should rest well for hours after you arrived. You can pay me a visit later.” I smiled.

 

 

“Nah, I want to see you as soon as I returned home. Aren’t you happy that I’m here now?”

 

 

“Of course, I’m happy to see you. You changed a lot. You look more handsome than before.”

 

 

“And you look more beautiful the last time I see you. You grown into a beautiful woman I never thought you would be. You’re still sweet and cheerful.”

 

 

I smiled at the compliments I heard straight from his mouth. I guess, it makes me blushed. But the sweet momentum building between us suddenly fell apart when my phone rang. It was my boss, Mr. Kim Myungsoo. He told me that I’m late and he badly needed his schedule for that day as soon as possible.

 

 

I couldn’t believe myself I forgot about my work. I quickly ran to the kitchen, took few more sips of my cold coffee before grabbing my things and then ran back to the living room.

 

 

I was wheezing when I stood in front of him. “I’m so sorry but I need to go to work right now. Let’s talk again later, Hae. I am—“

 

 

“Can I drive you to your work?” he offered.

 

 

“That’s a big help, baby.” I smiled at him again as I tangled my arm around his waist. We walked in the same steps making us laugh at our silliness. He opened the car door for me and I hastily hopped on. Donghae drive as fast as he could so that my boss wouldn’t nag at me because I was late.

 

 

My boss started beeping my phone again. “Where are you? Aren’t you coming at work today?!”

 

 

“I—I’m on my way, Sir. Five more minutes please…”

 

 

Nervousness started to scare the hell out of me as my boss’ anger voice shook my eardrum. When it comes to work, Mr. Kim Myungsoo is so strict.

 

 

When we reached the front of the building, I perplexedly grabbed my things at the back seat. Opened the door and was about to hop off when Donghae grabbed my wrist.

 

 

“Let’s talk later. I have something to tell you.” There was a look in his eyes I couldn’t figure out what it was. I nodded at him as I agreed before he kissed me on my forehead.

 

 

It was right then I remembered that our relationship was in the middle of the storm for the past four years and we haven’t had the time to talk about it properly. And seeing something strange in his eyes awhile ago boggled me a lot as I sat on the swivel chair while gathering the schedule sheet and the papers to be signed that Mr. Kim Myungsoo was already right in front of me, waiving her hands right in front of my dreamy face.

 

 

“Until when are you planning to be a statue of liberty for Korea?” he asked as he raised his eyebrow.

 

 

“Oh my gosh!” I jumped off my seat. “I’m so s—sorry, Sir. I—I’m on my way to your o—office. I’m just gathering the pa—papers that needs to be signed.” I said while having trouble talking straight.

 

 

“No need to go to my office. I’m here to sign it right away.” I immediately stood up after hearing his words. He sat on my chair and pasted his gaze on the papers. I was about to make a coffee when he stopped me from doing so.

 

 

“Jessica is there something bothering you?” he queried out of the blue while reading and signing.

 

 

“None at all. Why did you ask?” I asked as I occupied the chair in front of the table.

 

 

“Then why you’re in deep thought when I came in your room? I know I’m a forgotten friend for a long time, but you can still count on me as a friend and not as a boss when you have problems.”

 

 

“You’re not a forgotten friend. We just grew up apart as your family make a living outside the country for a long time. You’re still a friend.”

 

 

“Then why your saying you don’t have any problems when I clearly seen it in your eyes that you have?”

 

 

“Look, I’m in your company and I’m supposed to work. I’m not here to find a shoulder to cry on nor ears to listen to my stupid problems.”

 

 

He looked at me as he closed the last folder he just signed. “Yet and still I’m always here, your friend you used to call buddy years ago. I’m still the Myungsoo you knew before.” He stood up and approached the door.

 

 

“Thanks buddy. You’re still a good friend. Maybe I can mention some of it to you, but not during office hours.”

 

 

Kim Myungsoo was an old friend I knew before Donghae. I used to call him “buddy” because we did crazy and not-so-crazy things together when were still innocent. His and my parents were good neighbours and friends. Myungsoo and I entered the same kindergarten and grade school before they left the country because his father has a great job offer and he couldn’t say no.

 

 

That Christmas evening was the day they flew to Canada. I was so sad that night that my mother introduced me to a new friend and it happened to be her godson—and that friend was Donghae. I waited for Myungsoo to comeback every vacation but it didn’t happen. After they left, I heard nothing from them. That was the time I focused my mind to a new friendship I found in Donghae.

 

 

When my father told me that about buddy’s comeback, I couldn’t hide the happiness I was feeling inside. It seemed like fireworks were exploding inside me because of too much delight. After Onew left me because of my jealous boyfriend, I saw a spark of hope upon hearing the good news. Myungsoo surprised me on the day of my graduation. He appeared right after the commencement exercise with a bouquet of flowers for me. He was still sweet as before. And though Donghae forgot to greet me, I was still happy that day because of Myungsoo.

 

 

“Yes. You can share it to me out the office zone. Maybe we can talk about it a day after tomorrow as you’re coming with me for a three day business trip.” He said winking before closing the door.

 

 

Before I could protest, he completely disappeared. How could I attend the business trip when there are a lot of things boggling my head? I just hope the trip would end up fine. But before I think about the business trip, I should manage to have a serious talk with Donghae first before leaving or else the misunderstanding will continue working its spell on us.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

When I arrived at home, I saw Donghae and his parents having a happy chit-chat with my parents at the living room. I was surprised when Donghae ran towards me and gave me a quick peck on my forehead. It was weird for me as he wasn’t that showy before. After peck, he gave me a bouquet of pink tulips that smelled so fresh that I felt energized.

 

 

“Thanks,” I mumbled and he just flashed that lovely smile at me. “By the way, I have a friend with me.” I continued as Myungsoo walked in the room and politely bowed for respect.

 

 

My mother happily approached Myungsoo and let him sit. I occupied the open space on his right side while Donghae sat on my right. It took me a second before I realized I was in the middle of the two handsome men who’re both dear to me.

 

 

Donghae didn’t speak up until mom announces that the dinner was ready. Donghae held my hand and walked beside me while Myungsoo took a quick glance on our entwined hands before walking alone to the kitchen.

 

 

On the table, Donghae and I sat near each other while Myungsoo occupied the seat in front of me. I started to feel weird when the two men placed different viand on my plate.

 

 

“You should eat a lot of vegetable, buddy. You look so pale and thin,” said Myungsoo who placed strips of carrots and bean sprouts on my plate.

 

 

“Eat this too,” Donghae said as placed small cuts of beef on my plate from his plate.

 

 

“Thank you, buddy. Thank you, baby…but please let me eat on my own.” I said with a lopsided smile.

 

 

I didn’t know what was happening between the two when they placed glasses of water in front of me at the same time. It started to stress me out that I decided to finish my food abruptly and went straight to the veranda as the situation at the dining area was a little suffocating for me.

 

 

The night was cold but not too cold to send shivers under my skin. I let out a heavy of relief as I felt something wasn’t going right. The two men so close to me were both acting weird. I wondered what was going on.

 

 

I sat on my favourite garden hanging pod chair near the lamp post when Donghae appeared. He flashed a quick smile and walked towards me. “Who’s that man?” he queried as he stood in front of me with his crossed hands over his chest.

 

 

“Myungsoo? He’s an old friend of mine who returned in the country after years of staying in Canada.”

 

 

“How did you two meet?”

 

 

“That’s a long time ago, before we knew each other. They were staying at that house,” I said as I pointed my finger to house near ours. “We were in the same school and we’re still good friends until today.” I smiled at him as I met his eyes.

 

 

“Why are you acting weird earlier?”

 

 

He turned his back and both hands inside the back pockets of his pants. “It’s a sore in eyes to see someone’s taking care of you.” He uttered bitterly.

 

 

I stood up at his back and wrapped my arms around his waist. I leaned my head against his back and said, “I know you’re jealous of him, but you don’t have to feel jealous because you’re my boyfriend and his my friend. You two are both special to me, but in a different ways.”

 

 

“I don’t know if I still deserve your heart. I don’t know if I still deserve to be your boyfriend.”

 

 

“What do you me—“

 

 

I was cut off by Myungsoo when he called out my name. “Jessica!”

 

 

I detangled my arms around Donghae and face him. “Are you going home now?”

 

 

“Yes. Thanks for inviting me over dinner. Let’s just see each other at the office tomorrow.” He said with a beaming smile.

 

 

“Oh, is that so? Okay…I’m so sorry if I didn’t entertain you properly.”

 

 

He nodded and taking his steps to his car when Donghae grabbed his wrist. Myungsoo was stunned by Donghae’s act.

 

 

Myungsoo creased his forehead. “Any problem?”

 

 

Donghae smirked before speaking, “Just to remind you, I’m her boyfriend,” and then he lets go of his wrist.

 

 

Myungsoo remained mum as he waved his goodbye. Donghae turned to me, wrapped his arms around me and planted a kiss on my forehead before whispering, “I love you.”