Back to Love

Back to Love

Daddy’s shocking questions

 

 

When we reached 12, we have to focus more on our studies because it was the time for us to live another life being in a secondary school. It frightened me. There was a lot of what if’s running inside my head. I was afraid of anything that lies ahead of us. Every occurrence wasn’t under our control. We may be happy today, but it wouldn’t last for long. I’m so sure of that. There would be times of loneliness. Life isn’t a Disney show with so many happy-ever-after endings.

 

 

Since we were focusing on our studies, it was the time we rarely see each other. We were no longer classmates that time. I walked alone to school. We seldom walked home together. I ate alone during lunch time because he was busy with stuffs like these and that and so I was. He wouldn’t come to our house after school and worked together with our assignments.

 

 

Yet and still during weekends, he dropped by in our house during afternoon, asked me for a ride in his bicycle. In that instance, we went to the nearest river; we sat side by side while watching the sunset kissed the horizon. We also watched the birds flying in groups, looking for a safe place to rest before the dark crept in. when the birds were finally gone; it was the go signal for us to go home. I rode at the sit in his back and hold tightly to his waist.

 

 

When we arrived home, mother would say, “Donghae, have dinner with us”, and then that was the time we have additional time together, chatting random things at the table while enjoying delicious food cooked by mother.

 

 

I remembered on time when Donghae had dinner with us, my Daddy asked him about our relationship. “Donghae how’s your relationship with my daughter Jessica?”

 

 

Donghae’s face looked shocked. He nearly choked. “Its fine, uncle.” He answered nervously.

 

 

“Are you wooing her?” Daddy asked again. That time, the conversation was getting serious.

 

 

“No, uncle. No.” He said as he shook his head constantly.

 

 

“Why not? Isn’t my little girl beautiful? Daddy said, lifting a cup of tea.

 

 

“She’s beautiful, uncle. Too beautiful.” He answered, looking straight at Daddy’s eyes.

 

 

Daddy took a gulp of lemonade before asking him another question that surprised all of us, “Then why not woo her?”

 

 

“Dad, that’s too much.” Mommy protested.

 

 

“No, it’s not. I just want to know if at any chance he’s aiming for something like that.” Daddy explained. “He gave my daughter a necklace and for me it’s something.” Daddy continued.

 

 

Mommy wiped and joined in the discussion. “Of course, my godson will give such to our daughter because they’re best friends for almost five years.” Mommy tried to clarify things.

 

 

“Mom, don’t get me wrong. I know you want Donghae to be our daughter’s first and last boyfriend, right? I just want to make sure he has such intention.” Daddy replied.

 

 

“But it’s too early for that. They’re just like, 12 years old.” Mommy said.

 

 

“They’re not getting younger, Mom. I just want to make sure of everything for our daughter.” Daddy uttered and then gulped lemonade again.

 

 

“Uncle…Auntie…stop.” Donghae said, glancing at Daddy and then to Mommy. “I’ll just answer uncle’s question to end the conversation.” He continued.

 

 

“That’s all I’m waiting for.” Daddy said happily.

 

 

“Spill it out, my godson. So, your uncle will stop asking you non-sense questions.” Mommy said with a smile and gave Donghae a tap on his shoulder.

 

 

“What’s the question again, uncle?” Donghae queried while wiping the sweat coming out of his forehead.

 

 

“I will rephrase the question. Do you have any plans in wooing her?” Daddy queried.

 

 

“To tell you all frankly, I have plans. Five years ago I said a promise to her that when we reach our right age, I will faithfully love her and she promised the same.” He said, spilling the promise we made that Christmas night.

 

 

“In that case, do you truly love my daughter?” Daddy asked again.

 

 

“Yes, uncle. I have that certain feeling since the first day I saw her wearing a pink fairy gown on her 5th birthday.” Donghae answered.

 

 

“Really? That’s great!” Daddy said with tear on air.

 

 

“Donghae, are you sure of what’s coming out of your mouth tonight? Everything changes. Nothing’s permanent in this world.” Mommy started confirming.

 

 

My heart in cloud nine because of what I was witnessing. But when Mommy said everything in this world is uncertain, I felt nervous. I felt afraid.

 

 

“I know that, Auntie. I’ll prove to you that one thing is permanent and certain in this world. And it is love.” Donghae uttered with confidence.

 

 

He was just so sure of every thing around. And he was so sure about his feelings. I just wished he was still that sure when tomorrow and destiny challenged us. Mommy and Daddy nodded at the same time. It seems like they both agreed on Donghae’s statements.

 

 

The dinner was finally over and Donghae was about to go home. I accompanied him to the door and opened it for him. But before he stepped out, he stopped for a moment and stared at me closely. Our eyes met. I felt like melting. His face was just so serious—that I couldn’t figure out what was on his head.

 

 

“Can you wait for another six years?” Donghae queried.

 

 

I heard loud throbs from my chest. “Are you going somewhere that I have to wait six years?” I queried back.

 

 

“Can you just answer my question without questioning me back?” He asked holding my left tightly.

 

 

I didn’t know what to say. My lips were shaking. “Of course, I can wait.” I answered, feeling uncertain.

 

 

“Alright!” He yelled, jumping.

 

 

“I don’t get it.” I said, feeling so clueless.

 

 

“You’ll get it after six years.” He said, smiling. “I got to go.” He continued as he gave me a quick squeezed in my hand that he was holding.

 

 

“Fine. Be home safely.” I said and smiled.

 

 

“Yup! Bye.” He said and left a kiss on my hand.

 

 

“Bye.” I said as I felt my cheeks blushing.

 

 

He stepped out and ran away with glee. I waved at him until he disappeared out of my sight.

 

 

 

Everything changes

Nothing’s permanent

That’s what they say

But for him who believes

Love never changed

Everything may come and go

Yet his love will always grow

And his feeling will always flow

To the girl he loves the most