BACK TO LOVE

Back to Love

 

The end

 

 

My knees are trembling as I stood up from my seat. My mind is in haywire that I couldn't think thoroughly of what I'm going to do. My heart is breaking even though everything I heard was not yet confirmed by Donghae. I'm confused on what to do. I'm confused if I should confront him right now or just mum the word. I opened my bag and searched for my phone. I dialled Myungsoo's number. I badly needed to talk to someone before I completely lost my mind. "Hello?"

 

 

"Jessica, why you're calling?" he queried. His voice in a whisper.

 

 

"I need you right now, buddy," and my tears started to fall on my cheeks again.

 

 

"Text me where’s your exact location, okay? I'm still in the middle of closing a deal. I'll be there once everything's clear. Just wait for me, I promise I'll be there," he said and I said okay before hanging up.

 

--

 

 

MYUNGSOO'S POV:

 

 

I quickly discussed everything with my foreign investors. I'm worried hearing Jessica's crying voice. And she occupied my mind the whole time.

 

 

I thoroughly read the papers and signed it right away. "We're happy to be a part of your company, Mr. Lee," said Mr. English who has been very interested in the company.

 

 

"Same here, Mr. Brooklyn. I'm looking forward to doing great business with you," I said as I shook his outstretched hand and the meeting has finally ended. I waited for the investors to leave the building before I ran as quickly as I could to the parking lot where my car was parked.

 

 

On the roads, I opened Jessica's text message and drove in enough speed to reach her on the right time. I told her I'll be on the place in 30mins. And then she replied with a short yes with a sad smiley at the end of it.

 

 

 

 

"Jessica!" I called and she turned her head. Her eyes were puffy and red. Her nose turned into light crimson, too. "What's wrong, buddy? Tell me..." but she never uttered a single word, instead embraced me tightly. And then I remembered Jessica that night when we caught Donghae with someone else. She looked so fragile back then and even now. I welcomed her in my arms, listening silently to the sound of her crying. She's in pain and I knew right then that something bad happened. "Tell me, buddy, why are you crying?" I asked again in a comforting manner.

 

 

"I don't think I can take this anymore. It is hurting me too much," she replied in between weeps.

 

 

"I don't get what you mean. Is this about your boyfriend again?"

 

 

"Yeah, I just met his other woman and she told me everything. And...and..."

 

 

I cut her out as she was finding it hard to utter the words. "And what, buddy?"

 

 

"And she even told me that they had several times."

 

 

I didn't know how and what to react. I couldn't believe Donghae have the guts to do it. Jessica has been a good partner to him, how come he cheated like that?

 

 

"I'll be talking to him, a man to man talk. I just couldn't take it anymore to stand here and do nothing. I want to protect you, so please allow me to do it...even just for once," I said as I wrapped my arms around her.

 

 

"But before you do it, allow me to talk to him first. I have to make my decision now. I've been easing the pain for quite a long time. I have to do something or I'll wait for the pain to destroy me," she said in a faint voice.

 

 

"I understand. You really have to talk to him to save yourself from further heartaches."

 

 

I knew she will be doing a tough decision on her own. But if it will be for her betterment, she has to endure the pain.

 

 

--

 

 

Myungsoo brought me to home. He looked so worried about me, so before I hopped off his car I gave him a quick tap on his shoulder before smiling widely at him. “What’s with that forced smile?” He asked, his face soften up.

 

 

“A way of saying thank you for always staying beside me,” I replied.

 

 

“Whatever happens, I will always be beside you. I promise that.”

 

 

I felt so blessed to meet someone as good as Myungsoo. He’s a good friend. And though he has feelings for me, he kept his distance and set his limitation as a friend. Sometimes, I want to ask myself why I didn’t fall for him after all the good things he had done for me.

 

 

I was still wondering when he helped me hopped off his car. We stood in front of our gate, smiling at each other like an idiot. It was my first time noticing how handsome he is. It was my first time seeing his smiling eyes that I find very attractive and heart-melting.

 

 

“Is there something on my face?” he suddenly asked, disturbed about how I stared at him.

 

 

“Nothing,” and then I laugh at his sudden reaction.

 

 

“You should always wear a smile. You’re beautiful when you smile,” he said as he holds me closely to his. His minty breath brushes on my face.

 

 

“T-thanks,” I replied shortly as I found myself lost for words.

 

 

Everything happened so fast that all I could remember was he already planting a kiss on my forehead—a light and soft kiss that somehow let me forgot the pain embracing my heart. But the sweet moment was cut off when a loud voice calling my name intervened.

 

 

We were both astonished as we see Donghae standing before us. I didn’t care what he witnessed, all I care about is to confront him and unveil the truth between him and Tiffany. He grabbed me by the arms that caused me to squeal. “What do you think you’re doing, Jessica?!” he asked, vex written all over his face.

 

 

“Do you think I’m cheating on you like you do to me?” I shrugged to free myself from his grasp.

 

 

“I’m not cheating on you!” he shouted, loud and clear.

 

 

“How long will you tell a lie? How long will you deceive me that you love me?” I looked straight to his face, stopping the tears from falling again. This time I wanted to be strong.

 

 

I believed he was surprised just by looking at his mouth gaped open. “How did you know about this?” and I knew he would be asking me this question.

 

 

“Just today. Tiffany told me everything. How dare you cheat on me like that? Are you not satisfied with the love I am giving you that you have to look for someone to love? And you’re shameless to have with her and pretend in front of me like you’re innocent!” I exclaimed as I punched him on the chest.

 

 

“Jessica, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that—“

 

 

“No, you mean to do that. Because if you didn’t mean doing that, you should’ve at least think of me and what would I feel!” I started to feel a lump on my throat.

 

 

“Jessica, please, let me explain,” he begged.

 

 

But I lost my temper over him that I gave him hard slaps on both cheeks. “You’re shameless. You’re heartless. You’re not a man…you’re a monster for giving me so much pain all these years,” and the tears has finally fall down.

 

 

“Jess, give me time to explain myself,” he said, burying his face on my chest.

 

 

“I don’t want to hear any of your explanation. Just let me ask you one thing.”

 

 

“What is it?”

 

 

“If you’re going to choose between me and her right now, who will you choose?”

 

 

The question was taken him aback. His face has this indescribable look. I waited to him to open his mouth and answered me but he never uttered a word. And I knew right then he was having trouble choosing between us. Because of it, I finally reached my decision.

 

 

“Choose her over me because if you really loved me there wouldn’t be a choice. And if you loved me, you wouldn’t fall in love with her. Let’s end this up now, Hae. I don’t want to be hurt by you. And I don’t want to hurt you either with my sharpness of my tongue right now. I’m breaking up with you. You’re free now,” I said as I mustered all my courage to give him his freedom. It was hard for him, but it was harder for me. I pushed him away from me and started to take steps away from him.

 

 

But he ran after me and hugged me from behind. I heard him crying. “Someday you would ask me to come back to you, but I won’t love you again,” that was my last word to him. I felt guilty after saying it but I couldn’t take back what I said. I shook away his arms and continue walking away without looking back.

 

 

It was over…really over and I’m happy to finally let go the person that was causing me too much pain. But at the back of my mind, I wished I could go back and run after him and tell him that I love him still in spite of all his sin.

 

 

It’s a wish I knew will never come true.