BACK TO LOVE

Back to Love

 

 

 

Masquerade Ball

 

 

The first two days of the business trip were quite tiring. We travelled around Japan to go to successful business establishments, meet the people behind it, and have seminars with them.

 

 

I didn't know that travelling would cause me too much fatigue that the second day ended up with me rushing into the hospital because of nose bleeding.

 

 

When I woke up I witnessed Myungsoo's worried face. “How are you feeling?" he asked as he touched my forehead.

 

 

"I'm quite feeling good. What time is it?" I faintly asked.

 

 

He glanced at his watch before staring at me again. "It's 15 past 5. Why?"

 

 

I quickly pulled up myself up. "The Masquerade ball will start at 7 in the evening, right?" He nodded. "If go now, we can still arrive on time." I reminded.

 

 

"But the doctor said you have to rest."

 

 

"I know, but I really want to join the party, buddy. Please, pretty please?" I pouted my lips as I glued my palms together as I plead.

 

 

He pulled a forced smile on his lips. "I'll ask the doctor about your request."

 

 

He excuses himself and stepped out of my room for awhile. As I got the chance to be alone, I tried to remember what my eyes had just caught before I lose my consciousness. Did I just see Donghae walking hand in hand with a girl? No, maybe it's just my imagination, the mere product of my mere imagination. But what if it really happened? Oh my God, if my boyfriend was really here with another woman and I found out that he's cheating on me I didn't know what would happen.

 

 

Myungsoo came back after few minutes. He has this wide grin on lips upon entering the room. “What did the doctor said?”

 

 

He sat beside me as he my hair. It was my first time seeing him like that. His worried face suddenly disappears. “You can attend the party tonight. But we can’t stay there for long. So once we get there, enjoy yourself as much as you can because Cinderella can’t stay anymore when the clock ticks at exactly 12.”

 

 

I chuckled. “Really?”

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

After hearing the confirmation, I couldn’t handle the happiness inside me that I found myself hugging him tightly.

 

 

“Buddy, I can’t barely breathe.” I said as he tried himself to break free from my embrace.

 

 

But I didn’t care at all. I wanted to do that time was to hug him, just to make him feel how much happiness contained my heart. And that hugging him was the only way to release the feeling.

 

 

 

SEVEN IN THE EVENING

 

THE MASQUERADE BALL

 

 

We arrived at the venue 5 minutes before it starts. Everyone seemed to be having a great time chit-chatting at each other while waiting for the party to be officially opened by the hosts.

 

 

It was my second time attending the party. The first time happened it was a long time ago with Onew as my partner. While walking down the red carpet, I tripped myself because of my own dress. Luckily Myungsoo was there to rescue me. Before I could stumble and put myself into the cage of humility, he caught me right in time.

 

 

“Thank you…” I whispered as I hold on to his arm tightly.

 

 

“Relax. Everything’s going to be all right tonight. I’m here.”

 

 

I nodded as I noticed the sincerity in his eyes. And with him by my side, I knew I’m the right hand. We went on walking until we reach our table. It was near the stage and a few feet away on the dance floor. The first part of the party has begun. Everyone seems to be excited.

 

 

Myungsoo were silently standing next to me. Time flies so fast that night. The dance floor has finally opened. Everyone grabbed their partners as the first sweet music started playing. The floor was immediately filled with partners swaying their body slowly according to the melodies. I was enjoying myself by just watching those couples who happily danced here and there when all of a sudden I found myself startled when Myungsoo asked me for a dance. I said yes.

 

 

We happily stepped in to the dance floor. And the moment our eyes met everything is in slow motion, my body stiffened and I lost my tongue. He smiled back at me with his eyes turns into slits. He then suddenly gave my nose a light pinch that snapped me back into reality.

 

 

"What you're doing?" I asked as I unconsciously touched the tip of my nose that he pinched.

 

 

"You're nervous that's why I do it to relax you." His voice sounds concerned. He mistakenly thought that I was nervous, but a matter-of-factly, I lose myself in his eyes. And that his stares suddenly put butterflies in my stomach that I only experienced whenever I'm with Donghae.

 

 

As my thought gets deeper, Myungsoo held both of my hands and guided it to his neck before he gentlemanly wrapped his arms around my waste. And the moment that we were foot apart from each other, I felt electrified from the soles of my feet up to my heart. I didn't know what kind of force it was. But one thing is for sure, I felt giddy which I tried to hide.

 

 

"I didn't know you've got a nice pair of feet," I uttered, commending how careful he was while dancing.

 

 

He chuckled and his eyes turn into tiny slits again. "Is there something on my face?" he asked out of the blue that threw me into the realization that I've been staring at him for a minute or two.

 

 

"N—no. Uh, actually there's none," I replied, obviously stuttering.

 

 

He chuckled again. But this time I pivoted my eyes away from him that caused him to suddenly frown. I stole a quick glance him and he pulled a long face.

 

 

"Are you good?" I asked without any eye contact.

 

 

"Yeah. Uh, buddy, are you not enjoying your time dancing with me?" he asked.

 

 

"I do." I replied shortly.

 

 

"Then why you suddenly turn your eyes away from me?"

 

 

"Oh, that. Ahm, I just want to have a better look of this place."

 

 

"Are you done then?"

 

 

"Y-yeah." I stuttered again.

 

 

"Then look at me now." I slowly turned to face him. His face looks really sad. "Don't take your eyes away from me. Just for tonight. I want to take the chance of looking at your face for a long time. I want to take the opportunity to see your lips curving, forming a genuine smile."

 

 

"Why do you have to see me smiling?" I asked out of curiosity.

 

 

"It’s because I simply love to see you smiling. You're smile has something that calms my heart."

 

 

Upon hearing it, I quickly plastered a wholehearted smile. I was to know that my smile calms him. When the sweet music stopped, we stepped out of the dance floor and get back to our table. Myungsoo became lively again. His smile remained on his lips until the host announces a firework presentation on the swimming area located at the roof top of the hotel.

 

 

Myungsoo and I and the other attendees excitedly went to the elevator. The party venue was on the 22nd floor and the rooftop was on the 52nd floor. We reached the swimming pool area after 15 minutes of waiting for our turn to the elevator.

 

 

There was a pool party going on that moment dedicated to all the tourists. Myungsoo and I decided were standing a few feet away from the pool.

 

 

As the countdown began, my eyes started to wander around as if I was looking for something I hope I could find.

 

 

As I heard everyone yelled the last number, I hastily looked up at the dark sky that suddenly lit up as fireballs exploded with different sparkling hues that brighten the sky. I was amazed with what I was experiencing. And as fireworks started to appear and disappear, I found myself waiting and waiting until no more fireworks sparks before my eyes.

 

 

I felt Myungsoo grabbing my hands. I looked down and his face was filled with happiness. "Cinderella, I think it's time for us to be our room to have rest," he said as he quickly glanced at his wristwatch.

 

 

I obediently nodded.

 

 

Marching our way to the elevator, a familiar figure of a man caught my eyes. The vicinity was well illuminated by lights that helped me recognize who it was.

 

 

I suddenly felt my knees shaking as he wraps his arms around a woman I barely knew. They were too close at each other that I couldn't see any spaces to separate them.

 

 

The woman is gracefully dancing a dirty dance in front him. I stopped from walking and I could hear Myungsoo repeatedly asking me what's wrong. But I couldn't find the strength to move my trembling lips.

 

 

And the moment I felt my heart was being hammered was the moment Donghae hungrily kissed the girl. I felt my tears came rushing out my eyes and I no longer hear Myungsoo's voice.

 

 

Time stood still the moment my eyes witnessed how loving and passionate they kissed. "Donghae" I finally uttered his name; however my voice were too faint to be heard. And as I tried to call his name again, Myungsoo wrapped me in his embrace. In his chest, I let out the pain as I cried silently. He never uttered a word. He just embraced me tightly. And in his arm, I found the comfort I needed the most.

 

 

"Hae kissed a girl. He kissed a girl and it's not me," I thought as I finally wrapped my arms around Myungsoo's waist. "Buddy, what should I do?" I asked him in a desperate and hurting voice.

 

 

"Just stay here in arms. And don't dare turn your back if you're not ready to be hurt," he whispered.

 

 

 

--

 

 

MYUNGSOO'S POV:

 

 

I didn't know what to do the moment I witnessed how fragile Jessica was and how thick skin Donghae was to cheat on her faithful girlfriend. I wanted to confront him, but I couldn't let myself leave Jessica in her current situation like that.

 

 

I knew that my embrace wouldn't lessen the pain her heart is feeling. But I knew it would let her feel that she's not alone, that she could count on me in times like this.

 

 

I glued my eyes on Donghae who's having a good time-hoping that he would somehow notice us. But it never happened. He continued with his lustful agenda while I decided to carry Jessica in our room and let her rest.

 

 

When we entered our room, I laid Jessica on the bed side where she used to sleep. She looked tired from crying and all the emotion were clearly written on her face. "Get some Zs. Remember, you still need to rest according to the doctor," I said as knelt down in front of her.

 

 

She never answered me. She looked lost in a maze. I held her hand and gave it a slight squeeze. And with that, she finally blinked her eyes and stared at me.

 

 

 "I'm hurt..." she said in an almost whisper tone as a tear trickle down. I quickly wiped her tear with my thumb and smiled at her.

 

 

"You'll be fine once you get the chance of confronting him. But for now you have to sleep," I said. She closed her eyes without answering me. I could easily see the affliction she was feeling by just staring at her silently.

 

 

I wanted to protect her. I badly wanted to do it. But I didn’t know how.