Back to Love

Back to Love

A sudden revelation

 

 

 

Heart that never change

Love that never ends

Will be yours through thick and thin

 

 

It was past midnight when I bustling drove the car straight to our house. While on the road, my mind couldn’t function well. I was still wondering how the beautiful night turned out so horrible. The party that I expected to end happily, ended in unforgettable tragedy.

 

 

“Hae, are you fine? Do you want to drop by at the nearest hospital?” I queried as I checked him at the rear view mirror. He was lying silently at the back seat.

 

 

“I’m fine. Don’t bother doing that. Besides, godmother is a nurse. She can treat me.” He said as he slightly touched the cut above his eyebrow.

 

 

With all tensions happening inside me, I forgot that mom was a nurse and she could treat him. I looked at him again. His lips were busted and bleeding. I wonder if he was really fine with that condition.

 

 

When we arrived home, Donghae struggled in walking. As he hopped off the car and started walking, he suddenly lost his balance and fell on the ground. I quickly ran to him and supported him until we reached the front door. I knew my parents were waiting for us as the porch light was still switched on.

 

 

“Mom…Dad…” I called out as Donghae’s arm was on my shoulder.

 

 

Dad was the one who opened the door for us. “Oh, Almighty God, what happened to him?” He immediately asked me as he grabbed Donghae and carried him alone with strength. “Darling, we need you here.” Dad shouted, asking for mother’s help as Donghae lied down on the couch at the living room.

 

 

Mom walked in grasping breath with a worried face. “What happened?” She asked, kneeling down as she looked closely to her godson.

 

 

“We’re on the parking lot, Mom, ready to be home after the party when we found out that our fellow schoolmate was waiting for us there. He was so angry. He punched Donghae straight on the face before hitting him with a baseball bat on the legs, twice or thrice. He wanted to hit Donghae one more time, but I managed to stop him. And luckily, he just walked away.” I told them briefly with shaking voice. I found myself afraid again.

 

 

Without further questions, Mom ran to the wall where her first aid kit kept well. And ran back to the living room where bloody Donghae was lying. Mom treated his cut and busted lips as Dad helped Mom as he made hot and cold compresses for Donghae’s swollen legs.

 

 

It was four in the morning when our house turned to normal. My parents went to bed to catch some Zs while I stayed with Donghae at the living room. I sat flatly on the carpet as I drowsily leaned my head on his stomach as I slowly closed my eyes as my sleepyhead felt relax. I decided to just sleep beside him.

 

 

Morning came. I woke up with a soothing touch on my face. I lazily opened my eyes and witnessed Donghae’s bright and smiling face.

 

 

“Why did you sleep here?” He asked as he widened his smile, still touching my forehead.

 

 

“Because I’m worried about you. Isn’t it obvious?” I said, pouting my lips.

 

 

“Thanks and sorry for making you so worried.” He said as he touched my lips, drew closely and pecked a kiss on my forehead.

 

 

“How are feeling right now?” I asked, worriedly checking his condition by just looking at him.

 

 

He chuckled before uttering, “I’m hungry…”

 

 

“I can cook you breakfast. What do you want?” I said, pushing my self up though I was feeling a little groggy then.

 

 

“Just a simple breakfast. Some egg rolls, bone soup, kimchi, and slices of apples.” He requested.

 

 

“Catch more Zs again, Hae. I’ll wake you up when breakfast is ready.” I said as I pulled the blanket and up and covered him securely.

 

 

He just made a small smile on his face before closing his again to sleep. I went straight to the kitchen to cook. I was about to cook the soup when Mom came. “I thought you’re still asleep.” Mom said as she gave me a quick tap on the shoulder.

 

 

“Donghae woke me up. He said he’s hungry, so I asked him what food he wants for breakfast. And then I told him to catch more rest while waiting.” I said as I placed the egg rolls on the table.

 

 

“I’ll be the one to cook the remaining dishes. Have a rest.” Mom said, offering her help. She even grabbed the frying pan I was holding.

 

 

“Are you sure, Mom? Is that fine with you?” I asked for assurance.

 

 

“Yes. What am I going to cook?” Mom asked with a smile, wearing the apron.

 

 

“Bone soup, kimchi, and slices of apples, Mom.” I answered.

 

 

“Okay. Mom can manage it. I’ll cook rice and steamed fish with veggies on sweet and sour sauce in addition.” Mom said.

 

 

“Thanks, Mom.”

 

 

I sat on the single couch that was on the right side of Donghae and took some more nap before going to school for a meeting at 9am. It was 8 when Dad woke me up for breakfast. I looked around and found nothing on the couch. I rubbed my still sleepy eyes until I realized I wasn’t dreaming.” Dad, where’s Hae?” I queried a little outrage.

 

 

“His parents picked him up here after he took breakfast. He didn’t wake you up as you’re in the middle of your peaceful sleep. He just told me to say to you that he’ll wait for you at the student council office.” Dad said.

 

 

After Dad’s long dialogue, I hastily ran to my room and took shower and prepared myself to school. I ate a little breakfast before leaving the house. I was obviously in the rush. When I reached school, I walked directly to the student council office and saw Donghae sitting erectly on his chair with papers on his table.

 

 

“Hae? You’re really hard-headed huh?” I said as I noisily walked my way to him. My eyebrow was in raise and my eyes fiercely looking at him.

 

 

“I’m sorry. But I have to go here and pass a written report of what happened last night at the party.” He explained.

 

 

“Fine, I’m there. But, at least, you wake me up. So, we come here in school together.” I said, stressing my point.

 

 

“I’m so sorry…” was all he could say. I didn’t mind insisting my side for I understood why he has to do that.

 

 

After writing the report, we went straight to the student council directress, Mrs. Choi, to pass the report. Before we could exit, Directress Choi told us that she had to put some legal actions on the accident that happened between Donghae and Taecyeon. Directress Choi decided to expel and pull out Ok Taecyeon on the final list of the graduating students.

 

 

Four days after the graduation ball, I’d never seen Ok Taecyeon on the premises of the school, even on the last day of the practice.

 

 

In a snapped, the graduation kicked in and finally ended. Yet the unforgettable moment happened on that day, still hung on. When Donghae received his diploma, he walked straight to my place. “Aside from my family, this is for you, Jess.” He said with blithe written on his entire face.

 

 

“Thank you.” I said in curtsied.

 

 

Ignition of emotions

Flaming fire like love

Scorched my faint heart

 

 

 

After the graduation rights, Donghae asked my parents’ permission about his plan of an overnight family beach celebration. Happily, my parents said yes. We were all feeling excited since it happened again after so many years. It was a habit before, but later faded away as our parents became both busy with works and other stuffs. It was just that day that our parents both find time to bond.

 

 

It was a happy celebration. Not until the bon fire activity came. Everybody was having fun chatting, drinking and singing in the slow rhythm of the guitar.

 

 

The music stopped when Donghae’s mother stood up and announced something. I didn’t know that a storm was brewing that evening in the midst of the happiness.

 

 

“Friends, I wanted to inform you that my only son, Donghae, luckily passed and accepted in one of the prestigious universities in the United States, Harvard University. And he’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow.  Cheers to him.” His mother said with full of joys in spring he held the glass up for a tossed.

 

 

“Cheers!” Everyone said in chorus. I saw raptures in their faces. But why I was the only one who wasn’t feeling happy about the news? I didn’t know what I was feeling. Yet one thing was sure about—I felt a hard prick on my chest that was hard to explain. “Passed? Accepted? Leaving? Am I hearing it all right?”

 

 

The glass slipped off of my trembling hands. Tears were about to escape out of my eyes. “Excuse me…” I said sniffing as I started walking away from all of them.

 

 

I ran away.

 

 

I reached the shore, grasping for so much air to fill my lungs. The cold refreshing water touched my bare feet. The coldness brushed my body and crept inside my bones that send chills to me. I walked until my feet couldn’t walk no more. I let wintry wind soaked me until I couldn’t feel no more.

 

 

“How dare you not tell me about your plans? Aren’t you aware of my reaction and thought about it?”I whispered in the air as I sat on the fine wet sand. Water suddenly hit the shore and splashed water that drenched both my legs.

 

 

I heard Donghae yelling out my name. I didn’t want him to see me. So, I lied down the sandy shore and stayed under the starry skies. In the middle of the pale moonlight, I hid myself and found comfort in the sounds made by the waves and air.

 

 

“Jessiiiica!!! Jessica!!!” I heard Donghae shouted out my name again. This time, it sounded closer than the first.

 

 

“Just disappear! Just leave without telling me! If you’re fine with that, then, I’ll be fine with that too!” I yelled at the top of my lungs with rage in every word.

 

 

“It’s not what you think it is, Jess. Come on, come out from where you are hiding and let’s have a talk.” He uttered in a loud voice.

 

 

I reached my weakest point from that momentum. My heart that suddenly covered with ice was slowly melting—revealing its true feelings. I couldn’t stay mad at him for too long.

 

 

“I’m here.” I said tersely as I put my hand up, waving. Not long after, Donghae came and sat beside me. He remained mumbo jumbo for minutes. Another wave kissed the shore that soaked another half of my body.

 

 

“Are you feeling bad of what you’ve heard awhile ago?” He finally cut off the taciturn that was building between us.

 

 

“I’ll be fooling myself if I said no.” I said without sweetness on my voice. I tried to be hard as I could to him.

 

 

“I really have the plan to tell it all to you. Really, I was going to tell you but my mom beat me to it.” He said, breathing out a long sigh before encircling his arms around his knees.

 

 

“You can spill it out anytime of the day since we’re almost together twenty-four hours. Or you just really don’t have any plans of mentioning it to me. You really wanted to keep it as a secret.” I said, stressing every word.

 

 

He was speechless.

 

 

I sat as I waited for him to answer me while my hands were unconsciously touching the sands around me. But it seemed like he swallowed his tongue accidentally. “If you have nothing more to say, I’m going back to my cottage. This conversation is so tiring. I want to hit the bed.” I said, controlling the indignation I was feeling.

 

 

I quickly stood up and turned my back, yet he reached for my hand and stopped me. I knitted my forehead before slapping his hand away.

 

 

“Please, stay. I don’t want to leave without fixing this.” He uttered as he stood up and tangled his arms around me.

 

 

I didn’t think he was going to be that way. He was getting more emotional that time. I heard him sniff as he lowered his head, his chin touching my shoulder.

 

 

“Then, what you didn’t tell me about it?” I said, pretending to be hard on him.

 

 

“I just received the letter from Harvard when after the graduation ball. Because of so much problem and hassle came, I forgot about it for awhile. I decided to tell it to you tonight, but Mom spilled it out. I know it shocked you, please understand me. I’m not doing this for myself alone, but for my family and for you of course.” He mumbled as he hugged me even tighter.

 

 

“We’ve been together for so long years. In every decision you have to make, I’m here to support and understand you. I can understand you with anything and everything. All you have to do is to spill it out to me in an earlier time before someone does it for you.” I said, crying. I wanted to hug him back, but I was too hesitant to do so.

 

 

I wasn’t playing trick against him. I just wanted him to learn his lesson out of that problem. We were struggling to fix this little misunderstanding between us, what more when we decided to take our relationship into the next level. What would happen to us then?

 

 

“I’m so sorry. I’ll tell you everything in the right time.” He said, detangling his arms around me. He slightly leaned his head against mine, making our forehead glued together. His eyes only looking at me—I felt his sincerity.

 

 

“Don’t be secretive. We should be more open to each other, especially now that we have to be apart for quite a long time.” I uttered as I placed my hands besides him.

 

 

“I will be more open to you. I’m so sorry for my wrong action. I’m really so sorry” was all he could say before hugging me again. I couldn’t be hard on him anymore. With all my heart, I hugged him back with teary eyes.

 

 

At that very moment, for a while I thought of the two of us and setting aside the world around us. I didn’t have the power to stop the time from ticking, that’s why I just have to enjoy what was here. It wasn’t the end of us, but it was only the beginning of everything for the two of us.

 

 

Words I love you

Slip through my sweet lips

Carried by the air to reach you