Virtual Love

Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hi, I'm Kwon Jiyong."

 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Im Yoona."

 

Basically that was our introduction, not face to face but through the screens. It was just something that I did in impulse. There was this very famous application, "Tinder" that everyone was using.

 

I was just curious (definitely not desperate) and hence took this chance to meet someone new but who knew it would land me into a deep deep trouble. 

 

It was our Nth time skyping across the country. It always has been this timing. 

 

As it's reserved for you. 

 

☆☆☆☆☆

 

"Hey Yoong!" You spoke korean in the american accent you have. 

 

"Hi Ji!" And I threw a smile over the camera, hoping you would catch them. 

 

I'm a Korea-born American, so that explains why I could speak such fluent English. And you were a America-born Korean, hence your Korean name.

 

"Hey girl, please don't smile at me like this." You chuckled. "You make me want to fly to Korea, right now."

 

We fell in love through screens, through satellites that carried our words across the aching void.

 

Most probably I'm the one falling in love. What about you?

 

"Come here if you can~" I pouted. "Stop giving false hope every single time Mr Kwon~"

 

"Im Yoona, you're finding trouble aren't you?"

 

"Well, you can't do anything anyways." I smirked. "We're just looking at each other through screens."

 

And just when you thought this was gonna be those pure and innocent conversations, you're wrong. 

 

"I want to put my arms around your waist, I want to roam my hands around your body." He was looking at me through the screens with all smile, satisfied at my reaction. 

 

Of course, my face instantly turned red. Well, this was not the first time. But whenever you speak like this, my body act accordingly. 

 

"I want to put my lips on your skin too, tracing all those tattoos that you have." 

 

Your smile faded, turning into those dangerous ones. I knew I stepped on your line.

 

Opps, this wasn't planned. 

 

Night after night, we spoke about hands on bodies and lips on skin. 

 

"Oh right, I've a good news for y-"

 

/JIYONG!/ 

 

A scream of your name could be heard coming out from someone else. It wasn't a guy but a girl. It was those sweet accent that all the guys would like. 

 

"COMING!" You replied to the scream, with a smile plastered across your face. "Hey Yoong, I'm sorry but we'll have to end this conversation earlier today. I'll call you back tomorrow!" 

 

"A-Alrights, b-bye!"

 

I tried to act cool to end the call first even before you bid farewell. All that left in the room was silence and a very bright screen in front of me. 

 

After the silence, I would think of all the girls made of flesh and bone within your reach. 

 

Was that your girlfriend? Was that the good news you're trying to tell me? Then why are we doing this? Why are you doing this to me?

 

And out of a sudden, my mood will go all the way down and my blood went cold.

 

But who am I to interfere with your life?

 

Who am I to question you?

 

☆☆☆☆☆

 

As winter gave way to summer, the dust motes dancing in the sunlight blurred into pixels, and I gave my heart to a photograph. 

 

After that scream that interruptedour call, during the next call, you sent me a photograph of yourself. 

 

It was the first photograph that you sent me ever since we knew each other. It was your half- body under the hot scorching sun in the States. 

 

It was a photograph that set my heart racing along with blood flushing up my cheeks whenever I see it. 

 

"Yah Yoong! Why is your face red again?!"

 

"Yul, do you still have to ask? She must be thinking about the picture of that hot guy from the states again~"

 

"Yoong, are you seriously considering having a long distance relationship? It's not easy you know."

 

"We're just f-friends! Nothing more than that!"

 

"Stop lying to yourself~"

 

"I think he has a girlfriend.." I mumbled to myself. 

 

"Aww, is someone jealous now?" They snickered. "Come on it's your night! Congratulations for completing your thesis! We're having our very own Dr Im Yoona now! Let's enjoy the night!"

 

I wondered how I could be so afraid of losing something that wasn't mine. The thought of other girls taking the picture was causing me to burn internally. 

 

Maybe it's time to draw the line, to prevent myself from sinking into something that could never be mine. 

 

☆☆☆☆☆

 

Then came the crossed wires,the signal jam. 

 

The static that grew between us. 

 

I kept true to my words. It's been few weeks since I've gone on skype as I distanced myself away from you. We did not exchange number or anything else; the only thing we knew about each other was how we looked and our skype ID. 

 

The hardest thing during this period of time was the time of the night. The usual timing when we'll have our conversation. My body would automatically shift infront of my laptop excitedly but a minute after, reality kicked in and after contemplating whether if I should log in, the time passed.

 

Of course, I ended up not logging in.

 

I controlled myself but I'm not happy at all. 

 

Do you feel this way too? 

 

"So what do our Yoong wants for dinner tonight?" A pair of hand was felt on my head ruffling my hair. 

 

"Oppa! My hair!" I pouted, "Aren't you afraid that Fany unnie will get jealous?"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter