54: The Aftermath?

SHINee : Family Version

The four brothers sat in silence, digesting the information. Except for Taemin who took the news well, the other four was just too shocked. Well, Jinki and Minho was fine with it, just need some time, while Jonghyun and Kibum was speechless for the whole time.

After a few celebrations with the in-laws, the weekend went pass by too soon, and its school again.

The four brothers went off to their class and regroup during lunch, having to eat in silence for the first few minutes. Minho, who notices the silence, decided to interfere.

“So… we’re having another addition to the family.”

Jinki smiled, tossing around his chicken salad while looking at the remaining. But he frowned when Kibum suddenly put his utensils on the table, and it was a new thing for them. Kibum was very peculiar towards the hygiene of his belongings to where he put his stuff on, so when Kibum is neglecting that, it means that he’s not himself.

“I don’t like it.”

“What do you mean?” Minho scrunched his eyebrows, trying to figure his twin’s mood. Kibum push his meal away from him and poke his juice box.

“I don’t like having a new addition to the family.”

Jinki wouldn’t have it. “It’s not that we’re adopting a pet or something. We’re talking about babies, a real human being living inside mama’s stomach right now. Like it or not, we’re having a new family member in the family. You can’t just say ‘I don’t like it’ whenever you want, Kibum.”

“I told you before, I don’t want any, because then what’s going to happen to Taemin? He’s still a kid, he doesn’t even understand the feeling of being left out because his parents suddenly told him that he’s going to have a new baby brother or sister. He’s fragile, sensitive and just too innocent for this whole !”

That got Jinki and Minho to be quiet. They knew that it was true. They went through a lot to come this far. And the cycle just happens. Jinki was jealous when Jonghyun was born, the attention slipped away just because they have an infant in the house. And that also falls to Jonghyun, when the twins arrived. Double the attention, double the torture. Jinki may be over it, but Jonghyun was not.

And then came Taemin, the olders are so over it already, but the twins are taking it quite hard to adapt, and it’s also the time when the crisis happened, they had to be separated for a while because of the Super Junior concerts tour. But then, it all came back to normal when the parents are able to spend their time with each son equally at the same time.

Right now, they were threatened by a new addition. No, they’re not. But Taemin could, and that kid was not even past his 10’s yet.

Call Kibum exaggerating, but he’s concerned. And Taemin always have a soft spot in him.

“We talked about this, or not. I don’t think that’s based on your choice. Mama and Appa wanted more kids? They can. Besides, Taemin was even happy with that news,” Minho speaks out after another sudden of silence, reminding Kibum of what happened last weekend.

Taemin was smiling and cheering while chanting about how he’s going to have a baby brother or sister, which makes him really happy.

“He would be happy if we said Harry Potter exists, without knowing the consequences. He didn’t know what’s going to happen yet.” Kibum shot back.

And for the first time, Minho was not the calmest one in the family.

“So you’re saying that we should march up to mama and tell her to abort the baby?!”

Kibum sat in silence, Jinki his lips, not knowing what to say about it. Jonghyun, who finally had enough, decided to break the silence.

“I don’t mind having another brother or sister.”

Kibum turn to look at his older brother, his face contorted in displeasure. He thought that Jonghyun was on board with the idea of not liking it, since he wasn’t reacting the same since the news. He wasn’t even talking much, until now.

“Hyung, you’re ser-“ “ it Kibum, just stop and grow up,” Jonghyun raise his voice, not able to stop himself anymore.

“We’ve always been on the receiving end. Mama and Appa never questioned about what they did for us because they love us. Why can’t we just be happy with this news? It’s not like they’re going to have a divorce or something, they’re having a ing baby. And we should be ing happy with that.”

Jonghyun clasped his hands together, sighing. “I thought about it long and hard. It was shocking to us, but did it ever occur to you why the sudden events happened to us now? We’re growing up, we’re facing different challenges in life, we’re being hold to decide on our destiny. We’re not babies anymore. Sooner than later, we’re going to college, get a job, get married and all that crap. And while that happened, what about our parents?

We can’t expect them to baby us forever, Kibum. Sure, Taemin would have his time now, but after that? We would be too busy for family meetings, too busy with our lives. Maybe mama and appa decided to bring a baby because they’re going to be lonely in the next couple of years? Who knows?”

Jonghyun turn to look at Kibum, who was busy staring at his lunch box. Jinki gave him a small smile, while Minho was attentively listening.

“Taemin would have to learn about responsibility sooner or later on. We can’t help him all the time. Maybe when the baby comes, he would understand what we felt when we’re doing the same for him. He could take those examples from us and apply it to our new brother or sister. He would be insanely jealous and mopey one day, but if he didn’t learn from it, he would learn nothing.

I know you love him to bits. We all do. But you gotta give him some space to grow up. He just had an argument with his friends for the first time and we just discovered about it. Heck, we wouldn’t if Minho didn’t pry. You think it’s all going to be rainbows and skittles all the time? Let’s just ing stop this drama and actually support our family together, like what family should do.”

And with that, for the first time ever, on that day, mark the day when Kibum was defeated by the unimaginable person ever. Jonghyun.

“I second that motion. I think another baby would complete the dynamic of the family. It’s time for Taemin to have his own best friend among his sibling too.” Jinki raise his water bottle, nodding to Jonghyun.

Minho nodded, raising his juice box slightly, agreeing with what Jinki had said.

While Kibum, he slowly nodded, picking his utensils up and continue with his meal again.

Don’t worry, he’s going to be fine.

As long as nothing else blew his ego out of the way on that day.


A/N: I gotta say again, thank you for reading and following this story till today, it's been a ride and a wonderful experience to be continuing this because of your support. I was planning to release this chapter on this week but then I got caught up with the fact that it's Jonghyun's 1st anniversary of his passing away. I couldn't get over the fact that I wrote about him more in this chapter too, it kinda like giving me a message unconsciously about his upcoming anniversary. So I decided to hold on until a new week to post this, in order to remember him and take time for us all to honor his contribution to the music industry. I still couldn't believe it, but I guess we all need to move on, no matter how long it takes to do so.

Please do enjoy this chapter.

And again, thank you so much.

xoxo