Twenty-one

Ready for it?

Namjoon woke up later than usual. It was the first time he had slept in past eight since he was a child. He didn't much care for the feeling. He sat up in his bed, stretching. He grabbed his glassses from his bedside table before gettirng out of bed. It was late enough in the morning that his dad would be home, if he was lucky he could sneak past the older and get out to see Jin. He didn't know if he could do it, but he had to try. He pulled some clothes out of his drawers. A pair of jeans and his favorite gray hoodie. He changed out of his night clothes into the ones he had just picked out. He sighed, walking to his door. He slowly opened the door being mindful of the creak in the screws. He pushed it open enough for him to slip through. He quickly walked down the hall, making sure he didn't make any noise. He climbed down the stairs one step at a time, working around the slightly broken one in the middle of the staircase. Namjoon was in the home stretch. All he had to do was make it to the front door and... "Morning son." He had been caught. He turned to the sound of his father's voice.

"Morning dad." Namjoon smiled slightly at his father. At times he thought that him and his father had a passive-aggresive realtionship. His father smiled back.

"Can I talk to you Namjoon, before you rush off?" The younger sighed. He was hoping to avoid any and all conversation with his father.

"Fine."

-

Namjoon sat in front of his father at the kitchen table. He didn't have time for this. He promised to help Jin out today. His father stared at him from across the way. Namjoon opened his mouth but his father started to talk. "Son, have you given thought to your future. I know how hard you've been studying lately. Your mother and I have been talking about this. And we think that you should study abroad. It would give you some more leeway into what you want to do. I know your mother wants you to be a doctor, but I think you could find something much better." Namjoon resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"Dad, you know I don't want to do any of those. I don't want to be a doctor or a lawyer and I seriously don't want to work for you. I know you want me to do all these things, but I'm not ready for stuff like that." Even though Namjoon longed to be out in the real world, he had something holding him back in the best possible way; Jin. He smiled, thinking about the older. He had to leave now so he wouldn't break his promise. He would never break a promise to Jin. "Dad this talk has been eye opening. But I have to get going." Namjoon stood up from his seat and walked out of the kitchen. He sighed, walking out the front door. He loved his dad in a simple way, but there was just more important things in this world than work and Namjoon was on his way to find it.