▬ Control ✔

An Alpha and A Yakuza [COMPLETE] ✔
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---------------------------------------------

[Rei]

A couple of months later, my grandfather arranged a huge family meeting where everyone who belonged or working under the Kawaguchi family should be present and gather around.

Prior to that, everyone greeted me with so much warmth and kindness, but they don’t fool me.

Right after dinner, he nodded his head over to Mr. Okinawa, the right-hand man; signaling him for something with a proud smile on his aging face. Apparently, other than a simple family gathering, this was a ritual to cleanse me spiritually, mentally and physically.

It’s usually the first phase of the change – the change of being an Oyabun. To see whether I’m fit enough to be their new successor or not. Accept me as their new Oyabun that will lead this family to perpetuity, stronger and wealthier future. And again, purify me off any negative aura.

Now you see why everyone was being nice to me. They were trying to kiss my , to get into my good book. I snorted, just because I’m young and probably the youngest one to take over the throne, that doesn’t mean that I’m naïve and gullible enough to be trampled over.

I can say that their true color, their true form, their motives, the obvious greed glinted though their eyes, and boy, what a sight it was. They’re all selfish. And I can also say this, they’re all horrible people to begin and end with.

I finally understand why my grandfather did what he did to me. He inflicted pain, to make me learn how to control without breaking down; he provoked and riled me up, to see whether I would act recklessly or not; he belittled me, to watch if I’d cry and give up; he brought the monster in me to life, to see if I know how to tame it; he broke me, to watch if I would shut down or stand back up.

My chest tightened in regret because all these years, I had pictured him as the villain in my story, but all he ever did was taught – still – teaching me the real truth of life.

I couldn’t say if I passed the test or not because I feel like something else was still missing. Kohai placed sets of tray in front of my grandfather. The old man called me forward, and I kneeled before him in confusion.

He only smiled at me “I, Tama Kawaguchi, called forth my granddaughter, Rei Shin Kawaguchi,” He handed me a leaf-like cup and held one for him.

We held it in mid-air as he recites something in an old Japanese dialect that he forced me to study. He said “With darkness comes light, hate comes love, and foe as ally; I, the fifth Kawaguchi Oyabun, step down as my grandchild, Rei Shin Kawaguchi, the seventh generation will be the next Oyabun. She will surpass me as the new Oyabun, our new Oyabun.” He paused “I’ve watched her break, shatter, mend and grow into a much stronger version than I am and the previous Oyabun combined. We gather our strength and power together for this child tonight and onward to lead us into a better era with a clearer vision. She, who we should respect, love, and protect – The Kawaguchi will never perish in her hands.”

He lifted the cup glancing at everyone present, “We drink this to unite in blood and in soul for eternity we last.” He brought the cup to his lips, I followed along, and I never got the chance to ask him what was in the drink because as soon as I took a shot of it, my throat burns. It was worse than eating wasabi; this one feels like it was some kind of fire roaring in me, trying to kill me from inside out.

“The drink will be stingy at first, but it’ll get better in a moment,” Stingy? I wanted to snap at the old man. Stingy, my ! The feeling was so overwhelming that I almost wish for death itself, but I held on for dear life.

I was on all fours trying to control the excruciating pain. From what felt like lava being poured down my throat, and making me feel as if my throat was being ripped off. Gradually, I started to feel this surging power running through all my living cells like wildfire, sending sparks through every vein in my body.

It’s crazy how all of these were happening at the same time. I don’t know what was going on but after what feels like a lifetime of torturous pain and the last thing I felt was as if something was the life out of me, slowly but surely my body started to weakened until I found the comforting darkness.

Morning came too soon, or at least, that’s what I thought. I somehow know that I was now lying on a futon due to the softness beneath me, but despite the comfort I was on, my entire body was ache agonizingly as if I had been hit by a truck.

I started with a groan as I regained consciousness from whatever happened the day before. I feel dehydrated as if I was left out in the desert for a long time. Just outside of the bedroom door, I heard feet scrambling from left to right, and my head feels like someone had bashed it with a brick.

“Rei,” A familiar gentle voice reverberated through my ears “Here, drink this.” She propped my head slightly.

With closed eyes, I took a sip of the cool liquid; it tasted so sweet, I wanted more until I had enough. When my head was rested back on the pillow, I felt my hair being caressed. I fell back asleep and found it relatively peaceful, I think this was the best sleep I’ve had in years.

Long after that, I woke up again feeling so much better like I can run and jump around, and most of all rule the world. I turned to my side and saw my changes of clothes, hanging. I carefully got up to look at my wardrobe of the day; it was an all-black Houmongi with a little floral print on the bottom edge of the dress and on one of the sleeves. I smiled, I like it very much.

The door to my room suddenly opened, revealing my grandmother who looked surprised. “You’re up! Good. We’ll talk later,” She beamed “Now, go and take a shower. I’ll help you into that Houmongi.” She instructed.

I nodded my head “But, where’s the bathroom?”

“Suki!” My grandmother called. Then a girl who looks a little older than me comes in. “Please, show Rei the bathroom.”

The girl simply nodded her head and led me to one. A hot shower was all I needed to loosen my s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter