Under the Clock Tower

Collections

 

I was just like any normal high school student. Until she transfer here. She's really cute and tall, and all the guys like her. Within one day, she's already the most popular person in this school. Unlike me. I'm just a plain girl, wearing a thick frame spectacles with two pigtails. A target of those bullies out there. Even some of classmates target me, playing pranks on me occasionally. It's almost unbearable, until she came. She's the only one that is willing to befriend me, not because of my good results or not because she wants to look even better. She is sincere is trying to befriend me. Soon, I find myself slightly attached to her, but of course, it's not love. I already have someone else in my heart. Even though I had never met that person before. Everyday, despite the fact that she wants to hang out with me, I used homework and studies as an excuse to reject her. Because I wanted to go home quickly to chat with that person. That person, is someone that I met in an online chat room. I still did not know the gender of that person, but the moment he/she chats with me, I know that he/she is a great person and my heartbeat shot up.

"I'm home." I called out, running to my room immediately and switch on my computer. I access the website and log in to my account. That person has not log on yet.

Shikshin has logged in.

Yes! That person logged in.

Shikshin: Hi, Yoongie! You are online again.

DeerYoong: Yes, of course.

Shikshin: I can't really chat much. Got ton of homework today.

DeerYoong: Me too.. Wanna chat while we do our homework?

Shikshin: Sure! I can ask you about those question that I didn't know how to do.

Deer Yoong: No problem. :D

Shikshin is really friendly. We didn't know how each other look like, since our profile pictures are not of ourselves. But I really want to see him/her. I want to meet him/her. I pick up my bag and pull out my personal file, with the worksheets given to us by the teachers today. Today, the homework is unusually many. But the questions are fairly easy for me. After all, I'm the top student in class. I start scribbling all my answers and solutions on the worksheets, with my usual working speed, I would be able to complete these within half an hour. While doing my homework, I was constantly looking up at the computer screen to look out for a reply from Shikshin. None. Okay, let's continue. Even though I don't know how Shikshin looks like, I know that he/she has already entered my heart. I don't care if he/she is good-looking or ugly, I still love him/her. Because he/she is the only one that knows me well. Even my parents don't know me as well as Shikshin does.

"On the chat room again, sis?" Eh? When did my brother came in?

"Yes. And oppa, please do not enter my room as you wish. Respect my privacy please." I didn't even bother looking at him. I want to finish my homework quickly, so that I can chat with Shikshin without needing to worry about my homework.

"Sis, why did you tie your hair up like this and wear this stupid pair of spectacles? You aren't short-sighted.."

".. No reason." I don't know why. I didn't feel like letting another people see my face without my spectacles, other than Shikshin. I wanted Shikshin to be the first.

"Come on! Why are you hiding your cute face?" And guess what? He freaking snatch my spectacles, and ran away.

"OPPA! Give it back!" I stood up and chased him. Unexpectedly, he actually ran out of the house. I hesitated to go out but I really need to get it back. I didn't know what he might do to my spectacles. I can't go to school without them. So I decided to go out, get my spectacles and come back quickly. I put on my shoes and ran out. He's standing across the street, waving the spectacles in his hand. Damn him. I charged at him and he started running again. I was getting closer to him, and when I was about to get it, someone else appears around the corner, a short distance away from us. Crap. M.. My classmates. I gave up my attempt to get my spectacles back immediately and turn around, not wanting to be seen by them.

"Eh? Yoona?" T.. They saw me. I start running, towards my home, and I could hear someone chasing me. This is bad.. "Why are you running away from us?" Crap. They caught up. I cover my face quickly and squatted down, to hide my face. And they freaking, start kicking me. "Yah! What are you doing?!"

"Stop harassing my sister, idiots." Thank god. My brother helped me. He chased them away. "You okay, sis?"

"It's all your fault!" I stood up and smack him on his shoulder.

"Come on. Why didn't you want to show them your face? It's cute." He pats me on my head, returning me my spectacles. I snatch it from his hand and put it on, not answering his question. Unknown to me, is that those guys are actually still hanging around the corner, and I failed. I failed to let Shikshin be the first to see my face without my spectacles.... How do I know? They did something the next day, but let's not talk about that first.

Shikshin: Yoongie. I need help with a question.

Shikshin: Yoongie?

Shikshin: Are you there?! Yoongie!?

Oh crap! Shikshin talked to me while I was out! Frantically, I typed my reply and press enter.

DeerYoong: I.. I'm sorry. Went out of my room just now.

Shikshin: Ahh.. I was so worried.. I thought something happens to you..

My heart skipped a beat after reading that. Shikshin is worried about me...

Shikshin: I don't know why.. Even though we never met before, but it seems like I like you more than anyone else...

W.. What? I.. Is this the truth? Shikshin is feeling the same way as me?

DeerYoong: R.. Really? I.. I fe.. feel the same way too...

Shikshin: REALLY!? B.. But aren't you a girl..?

DeerYoong: Yea.. What about it?

Shikshin: I'm a girl too... Is it okay with you?

DeerYoong: I.. I don't mind.. -shy-

Shikshin: Hehe. You're so cute. I want to see your face..

DeerYoong: Me too. Maybe we can meet up someday.

Shikshin: Hey. I got an idea. Christmas is near, isn't it? There's a rumor that, any two people that stand in front of the clock tower at midnight will become a couple. Let's meet up then!

DeerYoong: R.. Really? Okay.

Shikshin: It's a promise then!

DeerYoong: Yep. Promise!

Shikshin: Okay, back to the question...

Shikshin typed out the question that she has problem with, and I helped her with it. But as I do my own work, I realise, that the questions that Shikshin has, are also in my worksheets. All of it. Does this mean that, we are doing the same worksheets? Argh. I don't care. As long as I'm with Shikshin, and I can help her, I won't want to bother about anything else anymore. Maybe.

-----

"You're kidding me right?! How can Yoon-" That the sentence that I hear, the moment I step into the classroom. My classmates are talking about me, I suppose, and stopped when I came in. I didn't really bother about it though, and walk to my own seat. It's not the first time that they are talking behind my back, about how weird or how plain I look. Or how are they going to prank me next time. I'm used to it, even though I still can't really bear with it. But I managed to do so with Shikshin's support. Shikshin had been encouraging me, consoling me and accompanying me through all these. Every time, when those people bully me or prank me, I would definitely complain to Shikshin, and she would always comfort me and be by my side. That's why I love her so much, even though I never meet her before, and even though I know that she's a girl now. Although I say that I didn't bother about those classmates of mine, but it's getting uncomfortable, about how they are staring at me right now.

"Hi guys! Hi Yoona!" Oh. She came. The popular girl.

"Hi Sooyoung!" Those guys greeted her happily. Che. Guys are all the same, always looking at the looks of the girls and treating them according to how they look. The more pretty they are, the better the treatment. Not like I care about that. I only want a good treatment by Shikshin, not these guys. I don't give a damn about them at all. Who would? The staring didn't stop, and the trouble started during lunch break, when those guys from yesterday came, along with some other classmates. All guys, by the way.

"Your brother is a sunbae in this school right? He's quite scary." Why are they talking about my brother suddenly? I ignore them, and stood up. I wanted to go to the canteen, since I'm hungry. "Yah! We are talking to you!" One of them grabbed my wrist, and it hurts. He's using a lot force.

"Let go!" I try to get free, but his grip got even tighter.

"Call your brother here if you can then! Take it off." H.. Huh? Wait. Don't tell me.. Crap! I hold on to my spectacles quickly, and they are tugging really hard on it. I knew it! They are trying to taking off my spectacles! I try to kick them, but they caught my leg instead. "Not bad. You got nice legs." Heck?!

"What are you guys doing?!" S.. Sooyoung.. She came over and pushed them away. "Are you okay?" I nodded slightly. Am I really weak? Why am I always getting saved?

"S.. Sorry, Sooyoung. And you, we will definitely get it off!" See the difference in treatment? Sigh. I want to see Shikshin now.. I want to chat with her. I want to complain to her... But come on, Yoona, Christmas is just three days later! You are meeting her soon!

For the whole of today, that Sooyoung girl keeps on sticking close to me, probably afraid that those guys will attempt to do it again. Why is she treating me so nicely? I don't need her care.. I only need Shikshin. She even escorted me back home even though I don't want her to. She only a classmate but why is she acting so friendly with me? I know she means good but I just don't get it. I'm just a plain girl and she's a popular girl. Why mix with me?

Shikshin: Yoongie! I rushed home after sending someone home today! Because I want to chat with you soon.

Shikshin is really sweet, isn't she? Hehe.

DeerYoong: I got sent home by someone too, even though she's just a classmate.

Shikshin: Why?

DeerYoong: I kind of got bullied by my classmates again and she helped me.. And for the whole of today, she sticks really close to me.. I know she meant well but I didn't want anyone to do that for me, other than you...

Shikshin: Aww. My Yoongie is so cute~ I will kill those classmates for you, don't worry! Hehe.

DeerYoong: Yah. Pabo. Murder is a crime.

Shikshin: Even if I go to jail, you will wait for me, won't you?

DeerYoong: Nope.

Shikshin: You are so mean, Yoongie~

DeerYoong: Hehe. Of course I will, pabo. But that doesn't mean you can do it.

Just three more days. Three more days, and I will be able to see Shikshin soon. But these three days seem so long. Why can't time pass faster? And during these three days, those classmates are constantly looking for their chance, but that Sooyoung girl is doing it again, sticking really close to me and sending me home. I don't understand her at all. And finally, the day is here.

Shikshin: Remember our promise right, Yoongie? At midnight, we shall meet.

DeerYoong: Of course I remember! I had been looking forward to that. And today, that classmate of mine did the same again..

Shikshin: Isn't it good that someone is caring for you?

DeerYoong: But I only want you.. She getting a little too friendly with me..

Shikshin: ... What if I say, she has a reason for doing so? That, she has a reason to transfer to your school?

DeerYoong: H.. Huh? I don't get what you mean, Shikshin.. What do you mean?

Shikshin: I.. It's nothing. I got to go now. Remember our promise!

Shikshin has logged out.

Huh? That's unusual.. Shikshin seldom log out this early. And what do she mean by that? Why would Sooyoung has a reason to transfer to my school, and has a reason to do all those things for me? Ah never mind. Five more hours. Five more hours.

.....

Where is she..? It's almost twelve already but I still didn't see anyone coming. There are a lot of couple here, so it's getting a little awkward for me. For some reason, my instinct just tell me that Shikshin is not here at all. Is she intending to break the promise..? It's really cold though. Come quickly, Shikshin...

"Isn't this Yoona?" H.. Huh? God.. Why are my classmates here? It's a good thing that I decided to wear my spectacles. I took a glance at my watch. 11:55 pm. Five more minutes. I just have to stay away from these people for five minutes. I have to try my best. I start walking away and I can feel that they are following me. Why must it be today? "Yah! Wait up!" Only an idiot will listen to you... "Yah! I ask you to wait!" Someone grabs my wrist and turn me around forcefully. When did their number increase? Almost all of the guys in my class are here.. "Why are you here? Trying to get a boyfriend through that Christmas rumor? Haha!" And they started laughing. Damn.. I took another glance at my watch. 11:58 pm. Where are you, Shikshin? Is she really going to break our promise...? The only one that I really trusted and love.. I hope she won't...

"Let go." I struggled a little, but they pinned me against the wall of the clock tower. 11:59 pm. She's really not coming... Shikshin.. Why?

"Now, let me prove to these guys about what I say about you, okay?" H.. Huh? M.. My spectacles. They are going to take it again... Once again, I tried to hold on to it, but after a short struggle, they.. they got it off. B.. But, why did it become so dark suddenly..? And.. Someone. Someone is hugging me.. It's a girl. Don't tell me..

"S.. Shikshin..?" I blurted out.

"I'm sorry, I'm late. But luckily, I made it in time. It's 12 midnight now. Just right." This voice.. It sounds familiar.. "And you guys.. Why are you harassing her again? Didn't I warn you before?" Warn them before..? Recently, only two people warned them about harassing me.. One, is my brother and the second.. Wait. I.. It can't be.. Shikshin let go of me and I saw her face. It.. It's really her..

"S.. Sooyoung..?" I couldn't believe my eyes. Sooyoung. It's Sooyoung.. That popular girl in my class. She's the one that's hugging me.

"I knew it. You're cute. Stop wearing those spectacles anymore, Yoongie." That nickname.. Only Shikshin knows about it. Does this mean Sooyoung is really Shikshin..?

"Is that really Yoona..? S.. She's really cute.." I could hear those guys whispering among themselves.

"Why are you guys still here? Scram." Sooyoung glared at them, and they ran away quickly. "Sorry, Yoongie. I almost broke our promise."

"Y.. You are Shikshin..?"

"Yes. And you are the reason why I transfer to your school.."

What if I say, she has a reason for doing so? That, she has a reason to transfer to your school?

Those words that I don't understand.. I finally understood. Shikshin knows that I'm DeerYoong all these while, and even transfer to my school for my sake. That's why she tried to befriend me, even though I'm just a plain girl that is bullied and the victim of pranks, while she's a popular girl that is liked and admired by others.

"How.. How did you know that I'm.."

"I saw you once, your classmates were playing a prank on you. And on that very same day, you complaint to me about the exact same thing. I began to suspect about it, and.. and followed you for a few days..."

"... Are you a stalker..?"

"No. I just want to confirm that it's you. And after I'm sure that it's you, I transferred to your school, wanting to protect you from all those pranks..." I stare into her eyes for a long time, and before I knew it, she is closing in, and she pressed her lips against mine. She's really Shikshin... The person that I chat with daily. The person that is always by my side, comforting me and accompanying me. The person that, I love... Her kiss sends a sweet feeling down to my heart, and my heartbeat increased rapidly. Soon, I returned her kiss, ignoring all the other people who are looking at us with a weird look. I don't care what people think of me. I only care about my feeling for Shikshin, for Sooyoung. I love her. And that will solve everything for me. "I love you, Yoongie.." She stops the kiss.

"I love you too.." And she kisses me again. At twelve midnight, on Christmas, Sooyoung and I officially became a couple, under the clock tower.