The Promise

Collections

 

"My family is going out of town soon. We can't be together anymore..."

"What?! B.. But you promise me that we will be together forever!"

"I'm sorry... I have no choice. I want to stay too but my parents do not allow me to."

"I don't want this... I don't want you to leave!"

"Come on, Youngie... Ah. Here, why not you keep this for me? Show it to me, when we met again in future."

"But isn't this your favourite keychain?"

"Which is why you have to keep it properly. I will come and get it from you, definitely!"

"... Alright! It's a promise, okay?"

"Okay!"

The tall girl opens her eyes slowly, with some droplet of tears rolling down her cheeks. She repositions herself on her chair, to make sure that she is sitting up straight, before picking up her handphone pouch and look at the keychain hanging from it. The chain is already rusty, but she didn't want to change it. She missed that person who gave her this. For ten years, she had been waiting for that person to come back and claim this, and to reunite with her. That person is her best friend from her childhood, and she loves that person a lot. They once promised each other to stay together forever, but sadly, that person had to leave because family matters. However, she couldn't remember how that person looks like, neither do she remembers how that person's parents look like too.

"Soo, come down for a moment." Her thoughts are interrupted by her mother's shouting. She puts the pouch down and stood up, going downstairs as her mother had asked her to. It was a surprise for her, to see a few unfamiliar faces at the front door. A couple and a girl who seems to be slightly older than her.

"Hello. We just move into this neighbourhood recently, so we thought we should greet our neighbours. Sorry to disturb." The man greets her with a smile, and the woman beside him bowed with the girl.

"It's alright. Do you want to come in for a drink?" Her mother kindly invites them into the house, but they refused politely, saying that they had to go and greet the other neighbours too. After a short chat, they left. "They have a pretty daughter, don't they?"

"Yea. But you have one too, don't you?" Sooyoung joked, and laughed.

"Yea! I do. Haha. Wait, Soo, have you been crying again?" Her mother seems to have notice the mark left behind by the dried tears on her face. She touches her own face quickly with a shocked expression. "Don't think about that person too much. If God allows it, you will definitely meet that person again. What's more, that person is a girl. It would be weird for you to be crying so many times for a girl..."

"Sorry, mum. I'm going back to my room now."

"Don't cope up too much in your room. Go out and take a walk."

Sooyoung nodded and went back to her room to change her clothes, before heading out of the house as her mother had told her to. She could see that family from before, going around greeting the other neighbours. She strolls down the street, not knowing what to do.

"Oh crap... Why didn't they wake me up from my nap?!" Just then, a girl who is almost as tall as her, ran in her direction and before any of them could react, she crashed into her. Both of them fell, with Sooyoung at the bottom. Sooyoung tries to get up but couldn't, since that girl is on top of her, groaning. "Oww.. H.. Huh? I.. I'm sorry! I'm in a rush now. Bye." Without saying anything else, or try to help her up, that girl got up on her own and ran off. Sooyoung continues to sit there for a while, confused by that girl's action.

"... Heck. My clothes is dirty now.." Sooyoung stood up, brushing the dirty off her clothes but there's still some stain on it. Also, her left hand is slightly cut, by the small rock on the floor. Pissed off, she went back home and head to the bathroom without telling her mother anything. She washes the wound carefully and put a plaster on it, before going to her room to change out of the dirty clothes. Her walk didn't even last for five minutes. "That girl.. She totally ruined my walk, my clothes and my mood... And even caused my hand to be injured.." Sooyoung groaned at the thought of it, and decided to just throw that thought aside. She picks up the pouch again, to stare at the keychain hanging there. She sighed, and rested her head on her desk after sitting down. Soon, she dozed off.

-----

Sooyoung puts on her uniform as fast as she could, grabbed her bag and run out of the house with a piece of bread in . She overslept a little because last night, she couldn't sleep due to the little nap she got in the afternoon, and now, she will be late if she don't hurry. Luckily, she wasn't. She got to school a little earlier before the school bell rings. So she was strolling again, towards the school building.

"Crap~ I'm late!!" Once again, without any warning, someone crashed into her. Sooyoung groaned and looked at the culprit, shocked to see the same girl from yesterday. "Ah crap! I'm sorry! I.. I'm late now. Gonna go!" Once again, the girl got up on her own and ran off without waiting for a reply from Sooyoung. Sooyoung stares at the back figure of that girl for a while, clearly angered. It's the second time that girl had caused her to fall down, and ran off without saying anything else other than one 'I'm sorry'. She got up and brushed the dirt off her uniform, relieved that there isn't a stain like yesterday, but her elbow is bruised.

"... Damn that girl.." Sooyoung cursed softly under her breathe, and continue her stroll into the school building, and to the classroom.

"Oh my. It's only two days and you got cuts and bruises?" Her friend, Taeyeon, noticed the cut on her left hand and the bruise on her elbow.

"Don't get me started on this... Some random girl bumped into me twice and got away with only a word of apology.. Twice!" Sooyoung threw her bag on her desk and sat down angrily.

"Haha. Relax.. You're just unlucky. By the way, did you heard about it? There's a new student coming in today." Taeyeon patted Sooyoung on her head with a smile. After hearing that, Sooyoung nodded. That news had been going round the school since last week, as all the guys are excited about the new student. It's said that the new student is a extremely cute girl with a great personality. Soon, the bell rang, and Taeyeon went back to her seat at the front. The teacher soon came in, with a smile on her face.

"Well class, I'm sure you guys had already heard of it, about the arrival of the new student. So, let's welcome her, shall we?" The class cheered, especially the guys, of course. The teacher then signalled to someone outside the classroom, asking that person to come in. And she did. The girl walks in timidly, probably because she was shocked by how the class behave. She is really cute and the guys are getting a little too excited. Sooyoung looks over, and got shocked. That girl who bumped into her twice, is now standing right at the front of the whole class.

"What the heck!? You?!" Sooyoung blurted out accidentally, catching the attention of everyone in class. The new girl looks over with a surprised expression. There was silence, since no one really knows how to react to that.

"I.. I'm sorry.." The girl apologised again quickly.

"You two know each other?" The teacher asked, and the both of them shook their heads at the same time. ".. Why not introduce yourself to the class first?" The teacher looks at the new girl, who nodded and took a deep breath.

"I.. I'm Im Yoona. Nice to meet you. Please guide me from now onwards." The girl bowed with a smile, trying to hard ignore the Sooyoung's stare. It's making her uncomfortable. She knows that it's her fault for running without looking out for people and ended up crashing into the same person twice, but she remembers clearly that she did apologise so why is that girl staring at her like she is going to kill her soon?

"So, Yoona-ssi, why not take a seat at the back? There's an empty seat there." The teacher pointed to the empty seat at the back of the class, and a loud objection is heard almost immediately. The seat that the teacher is referring to, is right beside Sooyoung's seat. However, the teacher ignored her objection and asked Yoona to go over, sit down and get ready for lesson. Yoona nodded and walked towards her assigned seat. She bowed to Sooyoung before sitting down. For nearly three hours, Sooyoung had been glaring at her, but she didn't dare to say anything. Finally, it was lunch time and Yoona thought she could relax a little but she realises that the girl is still staring at her.

"... Y.. Y.. Yes..?" She opens and make a eye contact with the girl timidly. Just then, a short girl came over and cover the eyes of that girl.

"Sorry, she's just in a bad mood. I'm Taeyeon. Nice to meet you." The short girl smiled and Yoona nodded slightly, with an awkward smile. At least Taeyeon seems a lot more friendlier than this girl who keeps on staring and glaring at her. At before that girl could say anything in protest to Taeyeon's action, the guys suddenly swarm over and surround Yoona, posting ton of questions at her. She was surprised and shocked at the same time, making her unable to answer of their questions.

"Why did you do that for?!" Sooyoung pulls Taeyeon's hands away and was surprised to see the crowd beside her. "Come on, let's go. I'm hungry." She stood up and grabbed Taeyeon's hand, ready to go out when Taeyeon tugs on her hand forcefully, causing her to stop. She was about to shout at the short girl again, when she noticed that the girl is walking towards the crowd, squeezing through the crowd and coming out of it with the new girl behind her. "Don't tell me you are bringing her with us.."

"Yes I am. Come on, Yoona. Let's go." Taeyeon walks away, dragging Yoona behind her. Sooyoung face-palmed herself before following Taeyeon, unwillingly.

.....

"I'm Sooyoung. Don't try to get too friendly with me. I still haven't forgive you yet." Yoona had asked Sooyoung for her name politely while eating, and despite the fact that she is still a little angry with this girl, she finds herself unable to resist that smile of her and answered. Yoona nodded and continue eating. There was silence among the three of them, but none of them is going to make an effort to break it. Sooyoung finished her meal much faster than the other two, and she leaned back on the back of the chair, waiting for them to finish it. Without realising it, she was staring at Yoona again, her reason for doing so is not the same as before. Just now, she stares at her because she is trying to get Yoona to feel uncomfortable, since she is still angry. But now, it seems like she is just staring because she feels like it. Because Yoona is really cute. And because she is just admiring her face.

"You are still not done with staring at her?" Suddenly, Taeyeon's voice brought her back from her own world.

"N.. No! I.. I'm still angry!" Sooyoung didn't know why, but she is stuttering while trying to retort.

"Why are you stuttering? And if you didn't notice it, your face is red, you know.." Taeyeon chuckled. Sooyoung touched her own face quickly and it felt warm.

Oh crap. What's this suppose to mean? Sooyoung looks at Taeyeon, who is trying her best to hold in her laughter, before shifting her attention to the doe-eye girl. Just then, her temperature shot up again. What the heck?

-----

"How's school? I heard that the daughter of our new neighbour went to the same school as you." The moment Sooyoung steps into the house, her mother posted the question at her. "The younger one, I think. Seems like she didn't visit us with her family yesterday."

Sooyoung looked at her mother for a while, without saying anything else. Yoona? That's the only person that came into her mind after hearing what her mother says. Well, from her memory of that new family, she does look similar to her sister. And the rush yesterday, must be because her family went to visit their neighbours without her. Sooyoung only nodded and she went back to her room, put down her bag and slumped into her chair before taking her handphone pouch from her pocket. She stares at the keychain for a while, and stops immediately when tears start to form again. Dammit.. I'm crying again. But.. I really miss her.. Where's she? I don't even remember her look or name.. The only thing I remember of her, is that she's extremely bad at sports.. But there's so many people who are bad at sports!! How am I going to find her?!

Meanwhile, Yoona was in her own room, packing her bag for tomorrow's lesson.

"Language... Math.. PE.. Oh. PE.." She sighed upon seeing the two alphabets on the time table. She is never good in sports and often get hit by all those random flying objects. This is why she never like that lesson before. This problem of her, even though it's obvious, no one really notices it well. Only one person knows about it really well, to stay by her side every lesson to help her block all those objects. But ever since she had to move away, that person is gone. She wanted to find that person quickly. She missed that person a lot, but the only clue to finding that person, is a keychain that she gave as a token of the promise between them. The Rilakkuma keychain that she likes a lot. "... She probably threw it away already... It had been such a long time.." After a while, she shook her head slightly and continue to pack her bag, not bothering about the tears that is rolling down her cheeks.

-----

Argh!! Why is she so cute..? I can't even bring myself to dislike her.. Sooyoung stares at the girl sitting beside her, pouting because she couldn't solve the math problem in the worksheet. To make herself stop thinking about that, Sooyoung looks away quickly, back at her own worksheet and start scribbling the solutions and answer down. She knows that the next period is PE, and she got reminded of that person again. She remembers clearly, that that person is bad at sports, and often get hits by the balls or frisbee which are flying around during the lesson. She always helps that person by blocking all of it for her, catching the balls and frisbee and throwing it back. And she kind of miss doing that. In fact, she missed that person a lot that she missed doing all those things that she used to do for that person.

"So.. Sooyoung-ssi, can you help me with this question?" Suddenly, her thoughts got interrupted again. It's Yoona. She took Yoona's worksheet and stares at the blank question, with some tiny scribbling at the side.

She got nice handwriting.. Just like 'hers'... Sooyoung's mind drifted off again, and snapped back her sense when Yoona calls her again. Sooyoung took out her pencil frantically and start scribbling the solution down, along with some explanation before returning the worksheet to her.

"Ahh.. Thanks~" Yoona took her worksheet back and noticed that Sooyoung had included some explanation at the side too, and thanked her, smiling. Her beautiful smile captured Sooyoung's heart almost immediately. Sooyoung turns her head away quickly, after realising the fact that her heart is pumping wildly.

No way.. I'm suppose to dislike her! And.. And, I'm still waiting for 'her' too. I can't like anyone else other than 'her'! B.. But why do her smile give me such a familiar and sweet feeling...? Sooyoung is trying to get herself to cool down quickly, and only succeed when the bell rang. Sooyoung took out her sports attire and waited for Taeyeon to be ready, also, for Yoona to be ready, before heading to the changing room together. While changing, Sooyoung took the pouch out from her pocket and put it in the locker. Yoona seems to have notice the keychain on it.

"That keychain.. You like Rilakkuma too?" Yoona asked, pointing to the keychain.

"Huh? Erm. No. Not really.. It's from my friend.." Sooyoung replied, looking at the keychain, slightly saddened.

"Oh.. I like Rilakkuma.. I used to have a similar keychain too, but I gave it to someone when I'm young."

"... Why?" Sooyoung shifted her attention to Yoona after hearing that. It sounds so similar to her past.

"Because I was leaving. So I gave it to that person, as a token of our promise. But I guess that person might had throw it. It's been such a long time already." Yoona puts on a weak smile, as she continues to change into her sports attire. Sooyoung stood rooted to the ground, and stared at Yoona for a long time.

I.. It can't be.. No. It's definitely not Yoona.. It can't be her.. Sooyoung snapped back to her senses and continue to change her clothes, before heading out quickly without waiting for Taeyeon and Yoona. She keeps on telling herself that that person can't be Yoona, and that it must be coincidental that Yoona's past sound so similar to hers. But her doubt about her own thinking grew rapidly as she sees Yoona getting hit by the ball for the third time in ten minutes. It's just like that person. It's just like 'her'. Always getting hit by the ball.

"Ow.." Yoona rubbed her head, after getting hit again, for the forth time already. Everyone just thought that it's accidental and keeps on passing the ball to her, and ends up hitting her again. Sooyoung could not stand it anymore. She marched towards the doe-eye girl and stood near her, catching the ball that came flying to her. After a while, she notices that Yoona is looking at her.

".. Wh.. What? I see the fact that you can't even catch the ball properly.. So I guess I should help a little.." Sooyoung blushed slightly, due to the fact that Yoona is staring at her.

"N.. No. Nothing. It's just that you reminded me of that person. She used to help me like how you did just now.. Sorry for staring at you like that.." Yoona smiled, looking away. Those words stunned Sooyoung. Now, it's Sooyoung's turn to stare at Yoona. It all matched. Their past. It all matched. Every single detail of it. It is almost 99.9% correct, that Yoona is that person. But Sooyoung is still feeling unsure. Now, she wants to hear Yoona's story. She wants to know exactly about Yoona's past. To confirm whether Yoona is really that person or not. That person that she missed so much. That person that she likes so much. In fact, that person, that she loves so much.

"Y.. Yoona. Can you please tell me about your childhood friend later? I'm curious.." Sooyoung asked, timidly. Yoona looks at her for a while, before nodding with a smile. Once again, the familiar and sweet feeling overwhelmed Sooyoung. Her heartbeat increased rapidly and her body temperature shot up. Soon, probably because her body temperature went too high, she started feeling dizzy, and, she fainted. Yoona got shocked and caught her in time, before she hits the ground.

"... I'm the one getting hit, but why is she the one fainting..?" Yoona murmured, as she carries the girl but to get hit by the ball again. "Ouch..." Without waiting for an apology, Yoona walked away, carrying Sooyoung in her arms, to the infirmary. Taeyeon didn't follow, since she knows that Yoona will be able to manage it on her own.

.....

Sooyoung has a dream. The dream of her and her childhood friend again. They are so happy in her dream. Just then, she thought she felt someone touching her face. She opens her eyes quickly, and notices that Yoona's hand is on her face. She moves away quickly, surprised.

"Oh. D.. Did I wake you up? So.. Sorry... I notice that you are crying to I was trying to wipe your tears away.." Yoona seems really surprised, that the girl suddenly wakes up and move away. "Why did you faint..? Are you unwell?"

"I.. It's nothing.." Sooyoung replied, wiping the tears away on her own. She looks around and saw that other than the two of them, the infirmary is empty. Even the nurse is not around. "S.. So, Yoona.. Since there's no one here, can you tell me about the thing I ask about just now..?"

"Oh. Sure. It's actually quite silly.. That person.. She's my childhood friend. My best friend. We are always together, and we loved each other, so we promised each other that we will stay together forever. But I broke the promise, because my family is moving away due to my father's work. We didn't want to separate but we can't, so I end up giving her the Rilakkuma keychain that I liked a lot, as a token of our promise to meet again. I told her that I would definitely find her, and take it back from her. Haha.. But I never did find her. I tried, but couldn't. So I suppose she threw the keychain away... After such a long time.." Yoona's smile faded away slowly as she continues with her story, while Sooyoung's eyes got even wider. It's exactly like hers. Right now, she is sure, about the fact that Yoona is the one that she is looking for. Inside her, she is getting all excited and happy, but she wasn't sure about Yoona's feeling yet.

".. W.. What if that person still have not throw it away..?"

"It would be great then. I wanted to see her again. I missed her...." Yoona replied, not looking at Sooyoung at all. Mentioning about her childhood friend made her sad. It reminded her of all the happy memories that they once shared before she got separated from her. "I.. In fact... I love her a lot.." Yoona was about to look up and put on a smile, when Sooyoung suddenly jumps at her and hugs her tightly, crying. ". .Soo.. Sooyoung?"

"Pabo! What took you so long to come back!? Do you know how much I miss you?!" Sooyoung cried loudly, refusing to let Yoona go. She's happy. Really happy. She finally found 'her'. The person that she is waiting for everyday. The person that she had been looking for the past ten years. "I had been waiting for you, looking for you and longing to see you again ever since you left me with that stupid keychain! I was praying hard that you will come back and take it away soon!"

"S.. So.. Sooyoung..? Y.. Y.. You are... her..?" Yoona lagged for a moment. It is too sudden for her, to get what is going on right now. Sooyoung nodded as she continues to cry, and Yoona could not hold it any longer too. Her tears start falling out from her eyes. Her arms start to wrap around Sooyoung slowly, as she pulls the girl even closer. ".. I.. I'm sorry... It's hard, trying to convince my parents to move back here.. I wanted to come back too, but my father's work doesn't allow it to happen. I miss you too... I.. I'm sorry..."

"No wonder your smile give me such a familiar and sweet feeling... It's because it's the same as that person whom I had been waiting for. Your smile is still the same." The two of them continue to hug, and no one came to interrupt them. The corridor is empty, so is the infirmary. "Yoona... Know what?"

"What?"

"I.. I love you.. Ever since we are young. I love you a lot."

".. I love you too, Youngie.." Hearing that nickname of hers makes Sooyoung even more happy. She pulls away from the hug and kissed Yoona on the lips, and Yoona returns the kiss immediately. After ten years, they had finally found the person that they had been waiting for. The person that they are looking for. The person that they had been longing for. And, the person that they loved so much. They had finally reunite after ten years.