Only You

Collections

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSS PAPONA KIDDO EIGHTAENINE<3
It's my first time writing about HyoTae. I hope you like it<3
-----_____-----

 

The petite girl paces to and fro, outside of the studio classroom. Should she observe the class and make her decision or should she just randomly pick one of the students and ask him or her for it. She needs a partner but she doesn't know who to ask. She doesn't know anyone outside of her own class, one of the singing classes.

 

They were given a project - to find a partner from the dancing class and as a pair, sing and dance to one of the song choices given to them. Being a shy and awkward pup, she doesn't have the courage to just step in and ask for permission to choose a partner.

 

"Who are you?" Just the, a blonde girl appears beside her without a sound, shocking her. The petite girl glances at the blonde briefly and looked away, not knowing how to continue with the conversation without sounding too awkward. The blonde doesn't look like she's a foreigner and since their school doesn’t restrict on such stuff, the girl probably dyed her hair. "From the singing class?"

 

"Y-Y-Yea...!" The petite girl nodded quickly. Seems like the dancing classes had gotten the project as well.

 

"Let's pair up then. I don't know anyone from the singing class well so I don't have a partner yet. Everyone else, more or less, has a partner already." The blonde girl offers her hand to the petite girl, who shakes it rather hesitantly. "It's okay if you don't want though."

 

"I-I want to...! I... I didn't have anyone to ask too..."

 

"Then it's settled! Let's go submit our names now." With that, the blonde pulled the petite girl along as she heads for the teachers' office. They found the main in-charge for the project and gave their names. At last, one burden off their hearts. The two of them were feeling all worried about being unable to find a partner until now.

 

"So your name is Taeyeon? That's what you told the teacher, right?"

 

"Y-Yes! And you're Hyo... Yeon?"

 

"Yep. Kim Hyoyeon." The blonde girl grins.

 

"Ah! My surname is Kim too!"

 

"Our names are pretty similar in a way then! Maybe we are fated haha~" Hyoyeon wraps her arm around Taeyeon's shoulders and got the girl to walk closer. Taeyeon laughed along with the girl, still feeling awkward but there's this weird sense of great feelings rousing up in her. It's as though something is telling her than things will go well from now on. It makes her happy.

 

"Is your classes over for today?" Hyoyeon asked.

 

"Yes. I was going to ask for permission to observe the dancing class when you came over haha..."

 

"Then, do you want to see me dance?"

 

"Eh? I-I... I would love to...!"

 

"And in exchange you will sing for me, okay?"

 

"Okay...!"

 

Having the agreement down, the two headed for the roof that is usually out-of-bound for the students. Taeyeon was a little hesitant to go up that flight of steps but Hyoyeon simply dragged her up. For Hyoyeon, the roof is like her own training ground. Every time during the breaks, she would come up here and do her own practices, away from the eyes of the others. She makes sure that the music she plays isn't too loud to attract people, but still loud enough for her to hear it clearly throughout.

 

"What's the song you chose?" Hyoyeon asked as she brings out her laptop from her bag.

 

"Erm... BoA's Only One..." Taeyeon took out the lyrics from her file and set out her MP3 with a speaker. She has the instrumental that the school provided in her MP3. She had been practicing by herself ever since the project had been handed down to them.

 

"The one with all the dancers? We have to think of a way on how we can do that with just two of us then."

 

"Eh...? T-Then maybe we should chose another one..."

 

"No, it's okay. We can manage, I'm sure." Hyoyeon grins. "We don't need to change everything, just those parts with the dancers."

 

Taeyeon looks rather unsure. Can they really pull off something that with those back-up dancers well enough? With just the two of them? Hyoyeon went on to search for the video with the dance and watched the whole thing while Taeyeon is still hesitating at the side.

 

"Okay. Watch." Hyoyeon jumps up and signaled to Taeyeon to play the music, with the vocal. That's when everything seems so magical to the petite girl all of the sudden. Within the short amount of time, the blonde girl managed to nail down the chorus part well. She can't say that it's perfect but it's great. She can't help but to clap when the blonde girl stops with a wide grin on her face. "Your turn!"

 

"Eh? A-Ah...! Right....! Erm... Please give me a moment." Taeyeon almost forget about the deal she had with Hyoyeon earlier on. She starts to warm up and at the same time, calm herself down. She wasn't too used to having someone listen to her sing. She starts the instrumental and waited for the chorus part to come.

 

"My love, good bye now – youre the only one (youre the only one)

Even at the moment we break up, youre the only one

It hurts and hurts and its foolish but good bye

Though I may never see you again, youre the only one"

 

Taeyeon let out a sigh of relief as she stops the instrumental music. She pulls it off. Somehow. In her nervous state. She heard loud clapping soon after and she turns to see the blonde girl beaming at her.

 

"Your voice is beautiful!! Really!! And you control it so well too!" Hyoyeon grabs Taeyeon's hands excitedly. "Man! I hit the jackpot this time round!"

 

"I-I-I would say the same for you... Your dancing is really good and on-point... Even though I'm not really well-versed about dances, I can see how good you are easily... Plus you are able to nail down most of the dance during the chorus within such a short time..." Taeyeon became a little flustered upon being praised and she started chanting, her voice getting softer and softer as she goes on. Hyoyeon couldn't help but to laugh at her.

 

"Man. You're cute. I like you." Hyoyeon pats Taeyeon on her shoulder and the latter blushed instantly after hearing that last sentence. However, the former didn't notice that. "Okay! Let's get started! We wasted enough time looking for each other so we don't have much time left now! We will learn the parts that we don't need to change first, okay?"

 

"O-Okay...!"

 

And so, they got to work quickly. Hyoyeon continues to watch the chorus part for the dance and she attempts to copy, with Taeyeon checking for her if she did it correctly. It didn't take her very long too get the whole dance down successfully and now she has to teach Taeyeon too.

 

"Spread out your arms here and bend them here... Lock! There! Something like that!" Hyoyeon guided the petite girl patiently through the dance. "Step to the side, step to the side. Move your arms like you're rolling a boat as you do that."

 

"Rolling a boat?" Taeyeon froze for a moment. There's something like that in the dance?

 

"Well, kind of." Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out. "Are you able to remember?"

 

"Let me revise..." Taeyeon replied as she walks over to replay the chorus again. Hyoyeon ends up practicing her vocal at the side as Taeyeon continues to revise the dance she had learnt so far by herself. It's not easy for someone who doesn't really dance to grab the essence of the dance well. BoA isn't called the queen without a reason. Her dance has this beauty that the petite girl finds it hard to catch and put it in her own. Even Hyoyeon didn't, but Hyoyeon's dance has its own beauty, not like BoA's.

 

By the time Taeyeon is sure that she had the moves down, the sun is already setting.

 

"I-I took this long... I'm sorry..." Taeyeon felt bad.

 

"Don't worry! You actually had it down pretty well somewhere in the middle of your revision but seeing how you keep on getting better and better with each try after that, I didn't want to stop you. Keep this up and we will be good to go by the deadline!" Hyoyeon did a thumb-up, giving Taeyeon's MP3 back to her. "Tomorrow let's meet up here again. I will go through the dance with you again then we will sing together. We have to separate the parts too."

 

"O-Okay...!" Taeyeon feels happy. Not because she's being praised but because her partner is such a reliable person. Though Hyoyeon looks a little aloof at first, it didn't take long for Taeyeon to realize how friendly and sociable this girl is. It helps Taeyeon warm up to her rather quickly, though there's still bit of awkwardness hanging around. The two bids goodbye to each other and went their own way, thinking of the same thing at the same time.

 

I really got lucky this time. She's such a great person.

 

-----

 

"End it off with a wave and that's it. We are done for the chorus. Need time for revision?" The blonde girl asked as she guides the petite girl in her dance again, during their third meeting. She's rather surprised by how much the girl had improved over the last two days and seeing how red the girl's eyes are, she probably stayed up a bit to practice. "Maybe not."

 

"Huh? I-I need to...!" The petite girl protested.

 

"You need rest. Not revision."

 

"Eh...?"

 

"Your eyes are red, Taeyeon. You had been staying up late to practice the dance, hadn't you?" The blonde questioned and the petite girl kept her silence. The former let out a sigh before keeping her stuff back into her back. She then grabs the hand of the petite girl and drags her along as she leave the roof. Without any words exchanged, they ended up at an arcade nearby.

 

"Hyoyeon, this isn't the time to-"

 

"BREAK. You need that. What good will it does you if you collapsed from over-exerting yourself? The worst would be you collapsing on the day of presentation itself. A good artist should know how to take care of her own body even at the busiest time, making sure that she takes whatever rest she could in-between all the schedules. If she still falls sick, at least she tried her best to prevent it. But what you're doing now is totally irresponsible. For your own body and for your work."

 

"I... I'm sorry..."

 

"... Don't worry. I'm not angry. I'm just worried. Come on. Let's let some steam off!" With that, Hyoyeon started dragging Taeyeon along as she visits the different machines in the arcade, getting Taeyeon to play with her. Soon, they are both engrossed and having fun. They didn't even realize how late it had gotten while they are playing.

 

"Ah! It's eight already...!" Taeyeon happens to check the time on her phone, to be shocked by how late it is already. They had a quick review on what they did for the day for practice before parting way. But of course, not before Hyoyeon gives Taeyeon another long lecture on what she should be doing.

 

"So, I will take it that you understood what I had just said and now I will ask you. What should you be doing later after you get home?" Hyoyeon asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

 

"... Rest..."

 

"Correct. Good girl." Hyoyeon ruffles Taeyeon's hair playfully. "I will call to check, okay? If I notice that you're breathless, you will get it from me tomorrow."

 

"Yes, madam."

 

"Yah. I'm no madam!"

 

"Yes, boss then?"

 

"NOPE."

 

"Master?"

 

"Are you sure you want to call me that?" Hyoyeon smirks and the petite girl blushes instantly after thinking about it properly. She had been blurting out random stuff that she could think of without realizing it, being too comfortable with Hyoyeon already. Hyoyeon let out a short laugh as she ruffles Taeyeon’s hair playfully. “Let’s go home already. Don’t forget what I say, okay?”

 

“Okay…”

 

The two continue to walk together for a while before parting way at an intersection. It's then Taeyeon realizes something.

 

 

She doesn't want to.

 

 

Somehow a sense of loneliness consumed her the moment Hyoyeon takes steps away from her. It doesn’t feel nice at all. She doesn’t know why. She has her family back at home, waiting for her to come home. So why is it that she felt lonely now that she has to go home?

 

“H-Hyoyeon…!” Before she knew it, she called out to the girl. The blonde girl turns around, looking at her with a confused look. She snaps back to her senses when her eyes met with the girl’s. “… Eh? Erm… T-Thank you…! S-See you tomorrow!”

 

“Hehe~ Of course. See ya!” Hyoyeon replied coolly with a wide grin, before turning away again and continuing on her way home. It came again. That sense of loneliness. Taeyeon pushes down the urge to call the girl, forcing herself to turn around and walk, comforting herself with the thought that she will be able to see the girl again tomorrow.

 

It’s weird.

 

It’s unexplainable.

 

Taeyeon used to find it hard to come to school. Beside the singing lessons, she never liked the school. Guys who wouldn’t leave her out of their filthy conversations and girls who wouldn’t leave her out of their gossips. She finds herself closing up and isolating herself.

 

Well, until Hyoyeon came.

 

She looks forward to each day and dreaded the weekends that she used to love so much. She just wants to see the girl. She wants to see Hyoyeon.

 

“Hyoyeon!” The petite girl barged through the door leading to the roof with a big smile on her face, but to face with the empty scenery. No laptop, no music. No Hyoyeon. She calmed down instantly, with a bit of sadness lingering around in her heart.

 

She waited.

 

For nearly two hours.

 

She didn’t come.

 

Taeyeon took out her phone to see the always-clear notification center. Reluctantly, she dialed Hyoyeon’s number. The ringing tone went on for a while and finally, the line got through.

 

“Hello?” That doesn’t really sound like Hyoyeon but something tells Taeyeon that it’s the girl, no doubt.

 

“Hyoyeon…? What happened to your voice? You sound hoarse…” Taeyeon asked worriedly.

 

“Ah damn. Did I forget to text you that I’m absent from school today…?” Hyoyeon coughed right after saying that. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I kinda fell sick. Haha…”

 

“… C-Can I visit you…?”

 

“Eh? Well… I don’t mind. But I wouldn’t want our main vocal to get the cold from me though. It would be better if yo-“

 

“I-I wants to!” Taeyeon interrupted.

 

 

To see you…

 

 

Those are the unspoken words ringing in Taeyeon’s mind.

 

“Alright then. But please wear a mask before you come, okay? I will text you my address.”

 

Taeyeon couldn't felt happier. She can see her now. She gets to see Hyoyeon now. She waits anxiously for an incoming text, and rushes off immediately the moment she confirms it.

 

Ding dong~

 

The petite girl, wearing a mask as told to, waits patiently outside of the apartment until a click is heard. The blonde girl greeted her with a weak smile, inviting her in. Unlike Taeyeon, Hyoyeon lives by herself.

 

“… Don’t you get lonely by yourself?” Taeyeon asked, sitting down beside Hyoyeon’s bed as the latter lies down, pulling the blanket over herself.

 

“Of course I do. Haha. But I think it’s good enough with you around when I’m in school. There are times when I didn’t want to part ways but thoughts of being able to see you the next day got me through.” Hyoyeon laughed, before coughing violently again. Taeyeon is quick to hand her some water, to drink after her coughing fits goes away.

 

“… I-It’s the same for me…” Taeyeon waits for Hyoyeon to stop her cough before speaking. “… Even though I have my family at home, waiting for me to get home every day, I felt lonely when I had to part ways…”

 

For the first time, Taeyeon sees Hyoyeon blushing.

 

“Th-This isn’t good, Taeyeon… My temperature is rising…” Hyoyeon touches her own cheeks. It’s warmer than before. She can feels her heart pounding fast too. She knows it well. What this feeling represent. But she wasn’t sure of spilling it. She can’t be so sure about Taeyeon’s feeling even after those words.

 

Taeyeon stays still for a while, watching as Hyoyeon become flustered by herself, before getting up and moving closer. She sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned closer.

 

With the mask still on, the petite girl gave the blonde a kiss through the mask.

 

The two make an eye contact briefly, before going in again for more, without the mask this time.

 

-----

 

“You’re the only one.”

 

The petite girl sang, as she gazes into the blonde girl’s eyes.

 

“Only one.”

 

The blonde girl echoed. They stood rooted to their position for a while before moving away from each other.

 

“That should be good enough. Tomorrow is the deadline, isn’t it? Are you alright with the dance?” The blonde asked, touching the petite girl’s hair lightly.

 

“Yes. Thanks to you, I managed to get it all down pretty alright. You’re really good at teaching, Hyo.” The petite girl smiled.

 

“Tae… May I?” Hyoyeon moves closer, their faces inches apart. Taeyeon gives a nod of approval and the former went in all the way immediately. The two share the kiss for as long as their breath can last, before moving away, their shy gazes locked together. “I love you.”

 

“Me too…”

 

“W-We will go on dates after the project, okay…? T-There are things I really want to do with you but couldn't because we have to concentrate on this.”

 

“O-Okay…”

 

-----

 

“Group 98: Kim Hyoyeon and Kim Taeyeon. Please enter.” The teacher called out from the door leading into the backstage of the auditorium. The pair stood up from their chairs immediately and entered, their hands held tightly.

 

No words are exchanged.

 

Just gaze.

 

Giving each other assuring look, they part to get into their position. They nodded at each other while looking at each other from the other side of the stage.

 

“When you’re ready, do a thumb-up so we can play the music for you.”

 

Taking in one last deep breath, the pair steps out from behind the curtain and got into their position. Hyoyeon did a thumb-up and soon, the music starts to play…

 

>>>>><<<<< 

 

The two paced themselves perfectly as they walk around the stage in a big semicircle, clockwise direction, exchanging place. Taeyeon is standing on the left and Hyoyeon on the right now.

 

“You’re only getting farther – you’re the only one
As much as I loved you, you’re the only one
It hurts and hurts and it’s foolish but good bye
Though I may never see you again, you’re the only one
Only one”

 

The two sang together as they started dancing at the same time, doing the dance like the original did for this portion.

 

“We awkwardly sit across each other.

Making small talk and asking what’s new.”

 

They stop to face each other, while Taeyeon sings her part. They started walking towards each other as the petite girl goes on to the second sentence. They aren’t sure how the teachers are reacting to the changes they made to the dance, but they didn’t care. Just get this over with and worry about it later, is what they think.

 

“The moments when the conversation stop for a moment…”

 

Hyoyeon took over for the singing. The pair stops in their track, close to each other, their gazes still locked.

 

“The cold silence freezes us.

 

We will become strangers at this place right now.”

 

Hyoyeon continues as they turn away from each other like a robot, walking away as she gets to the next part, but not too far apart. Hyoyeon managed to catch a glimpse of the teachers’ expression as she was turning around. Seems like they are alright with their performance so far.

 

“Someone will shed tears and be left alone but

I hate seeing you try not to scar me and feel ill at ease”

 

Taeyeon puts in her emotions into the song perfectly, surprising even Hyoyeon with how good she is with her expression of emotion during the song. They held hand lightly while Taeyeon continues until the end of her part, before Hyoyeon joins in for the next.

 

“So I’ll let you go”

 

And they let go of each other’s hand, going straight into the original dance for the chorus. As the chorus ended, they pace themselves once more, circling slowly and stopping after they get into their respective position.

 

The couple dance.

 

Because Taeyeon is better at controlling her vocal, she took this part for the singing. She took the position of BoA in the original dance, while Hyoyeon did the male dancer part.

 

“And the pain that stabs my heart – why is it so similar?”

 

The two move away from each other, giving each other enough space for the next part in the dance. From here on, they did they best in singing and dancing just like the original. It’s ending soon. Their performance.

 

“My love, good bye now – you’re the only one (you’re the only one)
Even at the moment we break up, you’re the only one
It hurts and hurts and it’s foolish but good bye
Though I may never see you again, you’re the only one

 

When will my head erase you? (I will let you go)
One day, two days, one month, if long term then a few years (My baby can’t forget)
And someday in your memories,
I won’t live in it, you will erase me”

 

As the music comes in and the vocal stops, instead of doing what BoA did, they did what the back-up dancer did. In the second part of the music, they stop the dance and walked up to each other instead, putting their palms together.

 

“You’re the only one, only one…”

 

That marks the end.

 

>>>>><<<<< 

 

“Taeyeon has a good control over her voice, and it makes up to Hyoyeon’s weaker vocal. Likewise for the dance, while Taeyeon did well, Hyoyeon’s powerful expression with her dance makes it even better and enjoyable.

 

We like how you two distribute the parts. It allows us to really understand how good each of you are. There were groups that make the singing students sing 90% of the song and it’s hard for us to evaluate the singing of the dancing class with that little portion.

 

Overall, we really like how well the two of you work with each other.

 

It’s like the two of you are fated to be partners.

 

Perfect, I would say.

 

But of course, we have some points that we would like you to change as well…”

 

And the teachers went on to talk about how they can make the performance even better. The two girls listened attentively and thanked the teachers before scurrying off the stage. The moment they got outside, they gave each other a big hug.

 

“… We did it…” Hyoyeon smiled.

 

“Yes… We did.” Taeyeon nodded.

 

Their conversation stops there. They are both too happy, with the teachers’ good comments for them and most importantly…

 

They can finally relax for now, and go on the dates they always wanted to go for.

 

“I love you, Tae. Thank you for coming into my life.” After a long silence, Hyoyeon is the first to break it.

 

“I love you too, Hyo… I really do…” And without further ado, they share another kiss. It left them breathless, especially since they had been dancing for the last three minutes. Neither of them speaks but they didn’t mind.

 

The silence is sweet.

 

And they know it well in their hearts that they don’t need word to express what they want to. After all, they had been telling each other what they wanted to say during the whole performance.

 

 

You’re the only one.