Eleventh Story

Vixx One Shots

Prompt: "Now, my son: Take the holy map and bring us our salvation." 
"About that map... Is there something like a replacement?"

You have to tell him,” the dark brown-haired said.
“He'll kill me…!”, I stated as a mater of fact.
“Well, you deserve it.”

I didn't do it on purpose!”
“You've lost-”

Suddenly the doors to my chamber were opened, as my father strode into the room, his outfit as glamours as ever.
“Ah, there you are Sanghyuk! I've searched the whole palace to find you.”
Me and Hongbin showed our respect for the king of Seoul by bowing slightly, before I spoke again, “I'm sorry, father.
How may I help you?”
“What? Can't I say good bye to my son who's going on a journey that will safe our Kingdom?”
“About that,” I wanted to begin my explanation but was interrupted by the brown-haired.
“I know already!”


You know?!” Hongbin asked shocked, while looking at me.
Yes.”
Wait wait wait! What do you know…?”
You're nervous, of course!”
Oh...” Oh!
Look my son: I know it's a big task and there is a huge responsibility resting upon your young shoulders. I mean; the whole country rests their fate and hope for a better live in your hands and that's not something to take lightly.”
I'm so going to die. If not through my dad than through the town folks…

But don't you worry, my son! Our family has never let their people down and I'm fully confident, that you'll safe us.” Yeah right! Keep pressing on it! As if my guilt couldn't get more worse.
“Now, my son: Take the holy map, go out into the world and bring us our salvation.”

Well; now or never…
“About that map...”
Yes?”
“… Is there… I don't know, something like a… replacement…?” The previously delighted look, with lots of hope shimmering in my fathers bright eyes, turned into one of confusion and irritation.
Why would you need a replacement?”
“Yeah… funny story,” I began awkwardly laughing, while scratching the backside of my head, “I may have somehow… uh… misplaced the map...”

Silence.

Nobody moved. My father out of shock, looking like he was ready to leave this world and I in horror of what the eldest would do next.
With every passing second my body filled with more dread, while my father slowly seemed as if his mind had finally registered what I've just said and Hongbin just looked hella uncomfortable. The tension in the room was so thick, you could almost cut it with a knife and I wished that someone would do just that. Unfortunately it wasn't just someone who broke it, but the thundering voice of my father.

You what?! You have LOST the holy map?!” That he was angry, was an underestimation.
I've misplaced it…!”
You've lost the holy map!!”
Misplaced! I've misplaced it! That's different!” I tried to defend myself, but to no avail.
Well then: Enlighten me, Sanghyuk! Enlighten me in what way that's different!” I flinched a little at his loud voice, while quickly searching for an explanation.
Lost is when… when you lost something without noticing…
Misplacing is when you uh… lay something down and then can't find it… anymore...”
Nice one Sanghyuk!

“But you still can't find it so you theoretically lost it.”
If looks could kill, Hongbin would be dead by now. “And you call yourself a friend… Thanks.”
It's not my fault,” he quickly defended himself lifting up his hands in innocence, “You've lost it.”
Misplaced!!”
I don't care if you've lost or misplaced it! It's gone either way!!”
Now both of us flinched at the freezing tone in his thundering voice.
 

After some more moments of awkward silence, in which I tried to make myself as small as possible under the judging gaze of my father, the king took a deep breath while rubbing the place between his eyes. “Oh Sanghyuk… What am I going to do with you…?”
Hey, I've told you to not give me the map! You know how forgetful I am!”