/16

A Dumb Girl From North Korea~

 

Sangkyu P.O.V

 

I hadn’t told Sungmi about Minrae’s visit. I had to keep it a surprise for Sungmi. Of course, we couldn’t be hundred percent sure if it really was her brother but as Minrae said, it really sounded like that. I smiled a bit. Minrae had always been like a little sister to me. I had three younger brothers and Minrae and her parents came here when she only were seven years old.

“Sangkyu-ssi, is it okay of we come and cheer on Sungmi later? We don’t have any schedules!” Eunhyuk asked and pointed at himself, Donghae, Sungmin and Henry. All of the guys looked hopefully at me, I just started smiling big.

“Of course guys! I’m sure that Sungmi really will appreciate that!” We were all sitting in the kitchen, chatting and eating late breakfast, early lunch. Sungmin wasn’t here yet but Ryeowook had told me that he had heard the water running when he went past the bathroom so I took it as she was getting ready.

“Why is it that we haven’t heard that song she has recorded?” Leeteuk asked. I looked at him.

“Sungmi didn’t wanted to show it to you before it got through Lee Sooman and such,” I answered, “she is really… I don’t know… overprotective when it comes to her own composing. Like it’s her baby and it really needs to be protected…”

 

Sungmi P.O.V

 

“Goodmorning Sungmi!” Donghae said as the first when I entered the kitchen after my bath, “nervous for today?” Everybody turned against me when I nodded.

“You have to get some breakfast,” Ryeowook said, “it’ll help with the nerves a bit…” I nodded and sat down on an empty chair between Yesung and Kyuhyun.

“The spotlight will be right on you so you won’t even see the audience. Just think of it like you’re in the practice room, okay?” Sangkyu said and smiled while pouring some juice in Sungmi’s glass. Sungmi nodded.

 

The stylist just finished my make-up and told me that I had ten minutes before I was going to perform. When she left, the boys entered together with some of the girls from SNSD and I saw Donghae send me thumbs up.

“You look great!” Eunhyuk said when he saw me, “how are you feeling?” I shrugged and took a sip of that bottle of water I had received earlier.

“Just remember to imagine that you are in the practice room, okay?” Donghae said and looked into my eyes in the mirror. I nodded.

“We’ll be cheering on you backstage,” Sunny said, “but take some deep breathes before going on stage and only focus on playing with passion as you usually do. Okay?” I turned around in the chair and nodded when I caught Sunny’s gaze.

 

Kang Sungmin P.O.V

 

“When is she going on?” I asked Minrae for the hundredth time. We were standing among the audience, watching the other groups’ performances. According to Minrae, it was a group named Wonder Girls who were singing now, and they should have a really huge fanclub.

“She should be performing after this group,” Minrae answered back. I nodded, just as the song ended. I started feeling butterflies in my stomach. What if it really was her? My babysister?! Then I could keep my promise to our parents. I could protect her again! And if not? Then I had to keep searching for her. I had too! Two guys and a girl – the MC’s - came on stage and said something which made the audience laugh.

“And now!” one of them said which got my attention, “a pianist is going to perform for the first time in Inkigayo’s history! She have written the song herself and even if there isn’t a voice on it, the piece of music should explain itself well. Give a great applause for… Kang! Sung! Miiiii!!” I gaped as the girl – my sister! – came on stage. She was wearing an elegant black and white dress, high heals and her hair was sat in a stylish bun. She looked really nervous and only focused on the piano. Minrae turned against me.

“Sungmin, is it her?!”

 

“Minrae! Over here!” a voice yelled over the crowd and made both Minrae and me turn against it. A man waved and Minrae took a hold in my arm and started going against him.

“Sangkyu oppa!” Minrae said happy as we reached him and hugged him, “it have been so long!” Sangkyu nodded and looked at me.

“You’re Sungmin I assume?” he said.

“Kang Sungmin,” I said and nodded as I held my hand against him, “are you the one who have been taking care of my sister?” Sangkyu-ssi nodded with a little smile.

“I have… but not only me…” he hesitated, “do you want to meet her?” I nodded and looked excited at Minrae who smiled big.

“She is this way. She seems to be really happy after playing,” he smiled and started walking, “you have heard her play before, right?” I nodded.

“She used to play a lot with our mum. I think they played and sang together everyday if they had time!” Her manager, Sangkyu, nodded.

“Oppa, she still can’t talk, can’t she?” Minrae asked Sangkyu. He shook his head.

“Sadly no. Two or three times, a noise have escaped from but not more…” I nodded. It was better than nothing… wait, could she get her voice back?! We came to a room where the door was half open and I heard a lot of laughter. On the door hang a sign saying ‘SNSD + Sungmi’. Sangkyu opened the door fully.

“Sungmi! Someone is here to say hello!” he said which got everyone’s attention. I looked around and saw my sister sit on the floor, now gaping.

“Hyung, who is it?” Eunhyuk asked as he looked at me and Minrae. Sangkyu-ssi smiled.

“This? This is Park Minrae, a girl who came from North Korea many years ago as my family helped a lot. And her friend? Please, present yourself…” Sangkyu looked appealing on me. I nodded and took a deep breath.

“I’m Kang Sungmin. Sungmi’s brother…” I looked at Sungmi.

 

Sungmi P.O.V

 

“…Sungmi’s brother…” I noticed that he looked directly at me when he said it. I slowly got up and went to him. Was it really him? Sungmin oppa? I laid my hand at his cheek and with one of my fingers I felt behind his ear. Many years ago, he got a scar there. And as I hoped, it was there. Then I took a step back. Everybody in the room were silent.

“Sungmi…” he whispered, “it’s… it’s you…” I nodded and then I slapped him.

“YAH SUNGMI!” everybody suddenly seemed chocked and Sangkyu yelled. I had tears in my eyes. Sungmin just stood stiff and looked at me.

“Why…?” he whispered after some seconds of awkward silence. I used our old sign for ‘army/military’ and then pointed at him, scowling. He sank.

“Sungmi… it’s not…” I nodded. It exactly was. He had sweared that he would stand by the Kim family’s side to the end. He… he… he had betrayed me. And my family.

“Yah Sungmi… calm down,” a voice said and stopped my hand as I had raised it to hit him again. I turned my head around and saw Donghae’s face look at me.

“Enough…” he whispered, “tell us instead…”

“I entered the North Korean army… why she knows it, I have no idea,” I heard my brother say quiet. Everybody turned their attention back on him.

“We saw it on TV in the states,” Henry said, “she cried a lot after it…” Sungmin looked directly at me.

“Sungmi… let me explain. If you’re still mad… then you can hit me… but let me explain…” he said and reached his hand out after mine. I hesitated. Should I?

“Go with him,” Donghae said, “listen to him. I know you want to…” I looked at him and nodded. He let go of my hand and with my now free hand, I took Sungmin’s hand.

 

3rd Person P.O.V

 

The two reunited siblings went to the scene that now was dark – the whole room was almost empty. Only some from the staff was walking around, fixing the last things.

“Let’s sit here?” Sungmin suggested as they reached the edge of the scene. Sungmi nodded and they both sat down. Sungmi looked pending at her brother, waiting for him to explain. Sungmin could see it so he didn’t bother by asking any question, he just started.

“I should start… I think I should start with the part at the mountain…” he said and took a deep breath.

“I was stupid. I thought that I could save mum and dad but ended up getting them killed and pulled away myself, leaving you alone. I got pulled to the basement where I got forced into the army. They seemed to mean that I had the ability to become good, or else they would have shot me. But I survived and forced myself to act like I was on their side… deep inside I just wanted to get away and try to find you,” he send his sister a weak smile before continuing. “It was probably the hardest time for me. I had to pretend to be something I not am and you know me. I’ve always hated that army! I’m sure, that if it wasn’t for you, I would have found a way to kill myself… but I didn’t. And then, there suddenly was a change to get a weeks vacation! And I have no idea about how, but I got it. The change to get free!” He smiled a bit again.

“I had one week to do what I wanted to before returning to the army so I packed my stuff and left without looking back. I went the same way as we did with umma and appa and yeah… escaped…” Sungmi was kind of shocked by her brother’s story. Things was like that?!

“When I escaped the cloaks I ended up in a town called Sokcho and for three days I lived at the street. Then Minrae found me and took me home…” Sungmin smiled, “she found you. And… I’m so happy… to see that you’re alive, that you smile, the fact that you seem to be safe now, makes me really, really happy…” Sungmi had gotten teary eyes and with no warning she threw her arms around her brother and hugged him tight. Sungmin was taken in surprise but hugged his sister back.