Appa......

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seong-mun come and pull his sister’s body away from Jong-kook and medic team start to evacuate Jong-kook and Ji-hyo’s father to ambulance with stretcher.

“Noona, you come in Jong-kook hyung’s ambulance and I’ll be at appa’s ambulance. We’ll meet at hospital, ne?” Seong-mun immediately go to their appa’s ambulance while Ji-hyo see how hard medic team saving Jong-kook’s life.

“I can’t find his pulse, give me defibrillator, bbali!!!” Said one of medic team.

In a flash they get that machine ready. “Miss, please step aside for a while.”

Words can’t say how worried she is right now. No, she can’t lose him. She care and like this man so much. Seeing him lost his pulse makes her heart beating fast. Ji-hyo who is holding Jong-kook’s hand step aside with tears still shown on her face.

“On my count. One… two… three, clear!” Jong-kook’s body jumped as the tools touch his body and it works. That flat line now turns wavy and the medic team quickly put an oxygen mask to Jong-kook.

Ji-hyo relieve to see that wavy line. She quickly grab Jong-kook’s hand and hold it tightly. Even though he got his pulse back, but Jong-kook still hasn’t open his eyes yet and that’s makes her worry. “W….why he hasn’t awake?” Asked Ji-hyo to the medic team.

“His pulse is low miss. Don’t worry, he will be okay.”

She doesn’t even know how long they take to arrive at hospital, but she never let go of Jong-kook’s hand. No matter how often the medic team try to calm her down, she just can’t. Yes, she can’t until she can see Jong-kook open his eyes.

Her wish come true, slowly Jong-kook open his eyes. He can see the way Ji-hyo sobbing beside him while holding his hand. She hasn’t realize yet that Jong-kook awake when his other hand trying to move to shed that tears. The more he try to move his hand, the more he felt sting pain on his back which makes him yelp and Ji-hyo finally realize that he awake.

“Oppa! Gwenchana? Are you hurt anywhere?” Asked Ji-hyo in worry.

“My…….back……” Jong-kook said while close his eyes, enduring the pain.

Ji-hyo look at the medic team, asking for help and the medic team move fast searching pain killer then injected it to Jong-kook. Seeing how Jong-kook struggling hold the pain and how the cold sweat can be seen all over his body makes her hurt. She’s afraid and hurt seeing him like that.

“Oppa….. please hang on for a while, we will arrive at hospital soon.” Said Ji-hyo while wiping the cold sweat from his face.

Her eyes still produce lots of tears. If Ji-hyo hurt seeing him in hurt, then Jong-kook hurt seeing her in tears like that. She must have worried about him and her appa. With that thought, Jong-kook gather his strength to look he’s better even though he still feeling the pain.

“How’s….ahjussi?” Asked Jong-kook with a force smile referring her appa.

“He’s save, don’t worry about that, oppa.”

Jong-kook exhaled deeply. “I’m relieved hearing that….” After said that, Jong-kook close his eyes and that’s makes Ji-hyo worried.

“Oppa!!” Ji-hyo shaking his hand and about to cry, but then she see a smile formed from his lips.

 “Ji-hyo ah, oppa…..is very tired. Let me sleep…..for a while, ne?” He said with still close his eyes.

Somehow, deep in her heart seeing him close his eyes makes her afraid that he might not open his eyes again. But that feeling reduce when he hold back her hand and smile at her.

After 15 minutes, they finally arrived at nearest hospital. Jong-kook and Ji-hyo father’s body been moved to emergency room to check all injuries that they have. Ji-hyo can see a bandage around her brother’s hand. Yes, his hand has a wound from the fire. Seong-mun walk together with his noona in waiting room while making phone calls. Ji-hyo call Jong-kook’s manager and Jang-hyuk to inform about Jong-kook’s condition, meanwhile Seong-mun call his family about his father. When a doctor come out, Ji-hyo and her brother quickly goes to the doctor.

“How about their condition, doc?” Asked Ji-hyo.

Seeing how dark the doctor’s face makes Ji-hyo nervous. “We should move your father to ICU room since he has a very serious tuberculosis and the smoke that he inhaled make it worse. He currently in critical condition.”

Ji-hyo’s leg become weak. If only she’s not holding a wall, she might fall. She gather her energy to ask the other question. “And how about…. Kim Jong-kook?”

“As for Kim Jong-kook ssi, we need to perform a surgery. He has serious injury on his back disc. We have to do it now before the situation get worsen.”

And now she’s crying. This is too much for her to handle. “A-arasso, I will sign all the paper, please save them doc….”

“I will try my best.” Answered the doctor before leaving them.

“Why appa still having tuberculosis, Seong-mun ah? Didn’t tuberculosis that appa had in the past already healed? But how come he has it again?” Asked Ji-hyo to her little brother.

“I….I don’t know either noona. But appa recently coughing nonstop and he doesn’t want to go to hospital no matter how hard I pushed him. That’s why I informed you that appa is sick. Mianhae noona for not being able taking care of appa….. Jongmal mianhaeyo…”

Seong-mun’s face showed how guilty he is which makes Ji-hyo’s heart softened. He was feeling guilty for not being able saved his father from the fire and now he feeling guilty for can’t taking care of his appa. Ji-hyo take her brother to her embrace. “Mianhae Seong-mun ah. I didn’t mean to blame you, it’s not your fault….”

“Mianhae noona…. If only I can save appa, Jong-kook hyung wouldn’t have to suffer. I’m really sorry towards him noona…. It’s all my fault….”

“Stop blaming yourself, Seong-mun ah…. It’s not your fault.” Ji-hyo let go of his body from her hug and shed her little brother’s tears. “Seong-mun ah, I have something to ask you.”

“Ne noona?”

“Could you please watch appa now until our family come? And I will take care all of paper that I should sign and wait for Jong-kook oppa’s surgery since his family will come later.”

“Arasso noona, I will do that.”

 

 

Jong-kook’s surgery finished after 3 hours and now he is in a private ward. Ever since they move Jong-kook to his ward, Ji-hyo never let go of Jong-kook’s hand. Not until a familiar voice calling out her name.

“Ji-hyo ah….” Called Jang-hyuk while entering the room together with Tae-hyun and Gap-jin.

“Oppa…” Ji-hyo run to hug him and tears start falling down again. “I’m sorry oppa….it’s all my fault that Jong-kook oppa suffering like this….”

“Ani, it’s not your fault Ji-hyo ah. He has this injury from a long time ago.”

“And this is an accident Ji-hyo ah, don’t blame yourself.” Tae-hyun added.

“But if only I didn’t said that I will go to Pohang, he will go to Pohang by himself and never meet an incident like this….”

“Ji-hyo ssi, I’m sure Jong-kook hyung will more hurt when he is in the same city with you but unable to help you in that terrible incident.” Said Gap-jin.

“Gap-jin’s right, Ji-hyo ah. Did Jong-kook ever tell you that he will have surgery soon?” Asked Jang-hyuk.

Ji-hyo’s eyes become wider. “Surgery? What kind of surgery? Did he sick?”

“The same as he did just now. So, let’s just say that his surgery schedule is sooner as he planned.”

“Ji-hyo ah, you said that his surgery went well, then there’s nothing to worry about him because he will be fine and even become healthier when he wake up later.” Said Tae-hyun while put his hand on Ji-hyo’s shoulder. “You can go to your appa Ji-hyo ah, you must be worried about him too. We’ll be staying here and we will let you know when he wake up later.”

“Keure oppa, please do that…” Ji-hyo showed them a smile before leaving Jong-kook’s room.

Ji-hyo walk in a slow pace. Tonight is very hard on her. Her heart and emotion is up and down from the moment she happily went to Pohang with Jong-kook until now she feel a sadness. She walk with a blank stare. She has eye bags now due to continuously crying, make up is long gone from her face from the moment she reach her burned house, her sweater is pretty dirty, and her hair is quite messy. She really doesn’t care about her image now. When the lift door is opened, her little brother appearance makes her jumpy.

“Seong-mun ah, you startled me….” Said Ji-hyo while rubbing her chest. But then she notice something wrong with him. “What’s with your expression? Did something happen?”

“I’m about to fetch you, noona….”

“Wae?”

Seong-mun choose to not answer and take his noona’s hand to walk with him. Ji-hyo feels uneasy. Her brother’s hand is trembling and his expression is……she doesn’t know how to describe his expression. But clearly, she can see sadness in his eyes. The thought of something happened to her appa come to her mind. They walk with a fast pace until she can see her eomma laying down on the floor while shouting for her appa. Her uncle holding her eomma body while soothing her eomma.

“Stop it Hye-jung ah, don’t be like this….. with you shouting for your husband, it won’t makes him come back to your side…..”

Ji-hyo feels like her heart stop beating when she heard that words coming from her uncle’s mouth. She approach her eomma.

“W….what happen?” Asked Ji-hyo to her uncle. She really wish her bad thought and what she heard just now is wrong.

“Seong-im ah…. Your appa is……”

Just before her uncle finished his words, Seong-mun take Ji-hyo away. “Noona, let’s meet appa.”

The moment she enter the room, she can’t see her appa’s face. All she can see is someone is being covered by a blanket from head to toe. Seong-mun slowly uncovered the blanket. It shown her appa’s pale face under the blanket and the heart rate monitor showing a flat line. This is the second time she see the flat line in just one night. She know that her appa is gone and her legs become limps, she should hold tightly the bed to prevent falling down. Tears coming out again from her eyes.

“A…..andwae, appa…….” Her cry become harder. “W…why did you….do this to me…..appa?”

Words can’t describe how hurt Seong-mun’s heart seeing his noona who is known as daddy’s girl torn apart like this. She crying hard and her hands trembling. He only can lowered his head while crying. The feeling that his appa’s death caused by him still fill up his mind. If only he has more strength to break the door, he might save his appa and a chance for him to live is big.

“Appa……you should wake up. Didn’t you said…..that your dream is to walk me on the aisle……when I get married later? Y…you can’t leave me like this appa…….I haven’t make your wish come true yet……….” Ji-hyo said in between her sob.

Seong-mun take his sister’s body to his embrace and crying with her. “Noona……..one of appa’s wish already come true. It’s to see you reach your dream and successful. And appa is really proud of you,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter