The fire

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong-kook get in his car and drive away his car from the restaurant. But his eyes looking at the rearview mirror. Looking at the small figure who still starring at his car even though his car already far from where she stand.

“Aish that Song Ji-hyo is really something. Look what has she done to me, my heart still racing because she hold my hand and her caring words.” Jong-kook mumbling alone while rubbing his left chest.

Suddenly he feels like the world start spinning around and he stop his car. He massage his forehead. “And this headache killing me.”

Just then he found a hotel right in front of him. He really need to rest before he passed out, so he choose to enter the hotel. As expected, once he get in the room, he lay down on the bed and within a minute, he already drift away to dream land.

A loud ring from his phone makes him jumpy from his peacefully sleep. He takes it from his pocket and answer the call without looking name of the caller.

“Yoboseyo….”

“Samchon!! Where are you?”

Jong-kook smile hearing a cheerful voice of his nephew. “Oh Soya ah, I’m in Ilsan, wae?”

“Samchon, don’t say you forgot your promise to help me search a present for my boyfriend…..”

“Mianhae Soya ah, I don’t think I can make it. Samchon isn’t feeling well right now.”

“Omo, are you sick??”

“Ne…. but don’t worry, I promise I will accompany you tomorrow.”

“Ani, just take a rest samchon, don’t think about that, we will find another time when you healthier.”

“Okay then, I’m sorry once again, Soya ah…”

“It’s okay samchon, please call me when you need anything. Get well soon!”

Jong-kook disconnect the line and see the current time from his phone.

“Ah….so I’ve been oversleep for 4 hours.”

He is about to crawling under the blanket to sleep again when Ji-hyo’s voice suddenly come to his mind. ‘Promise me to buy a medicine and drink it because you have a fever, oppa.’ Jong-kook gather up his energy to open his-still-sleepy-eyes and lazily get up. He go to bathroom to wash his face before wear his jacket and walk to the nearest pharmacy to keep his promise that he made with Ji-hyo.

Once he get out from the hotel, he feels familiar with this area. “Oh? Isn’t that Ji-hyo’s apartment building?” He then think for a while. “If that’s Ji-hyo’s apartment, then the pharmacy must be……there!” He found the pharmacy right next the apartment building.

When Jong-kook enter the pharmacy, he bumped to a guy who wear a cap and looking down to the ground while walking. “Aish, why is he walking while looking to the ground?”

But then Jong-kook stop his pace. He recognize him. That guy, even though Jong-kook only saw a slight face of him but he is sure enough that he is Jo In-sung. His eyes tailing where In-sung go. Surprisingly, he enter Ji-hyo’s apartment building. Worry start haunting him. Is he goes to Ji-hyo? But probably not. It’s not like Ji-hyo is the only one person that he know living in that building.

“May I help you, sir?” The employee greet him.

“Ne, please give me fever reliever.”

Jong-kook couldn’t help his curiosity about what did In-sung buy so he choose to ask the employee. “Jogiyo, may I ask something?”

“Of course, sir.”

“That guy who wore a cap before, what did he bought? He is my old friend but since he walk rapidly so I don’t have a chance to greet him. Is he sick?”

“Aniyo. He was buying an anti-pregnancy pill for his wife.”

‘Mwuh? Anti-pregnancy pill? Wife? He absolutely hasn’t married yet, then for whom he bought that pill?’ When Jong-kook thinking hard about that, there’s an incoming call. His eyes grow bigger when he see that name show up. Song Ji-hyo.

Jong-kook quickly answer the phone call. “Yoboseyo.”

Instead of hearing Ji-hyo’s voice, he hear a sound of door being opened then he hear a conversation soon after.

“What are you doing here?”

“We should talk.”

“I think everything about us is already cleared so I guess there is no more that we should talk about.”

“Could you please let me explain first?!” In-sung start losing his patience and raise his voice.

Jong-kook can recognize the voices. It’s Ji-hyo and…..In-sung. What is her purpose to call him but she let him to hear the conversation between her and In-sung? And In-sung was buying that pill, then is that pill for…..Ji-hyo? Oh , she’s in danger. Jong-kook cut the phone line and run with all his might inside the apartment building. Sadly, the luck isn’t on his side because the elevators is way too far from the ground floor. Without thinking, he run to emergency stairs and headed to 8th floor rapidly. It’s pretty high and his body feeling tired already, but his mind only have one goal, it’s to arrive at Ji-hyo’s side as fast as he can.

Hurt. That’s the first thing that he feel when he arrived at Ji-hyo’s apartment and see they kissed. But the way Ji-hyo try to push and hit his back continuously, she didn’t want that kiss. He also can see tears flowing to the side of her face. That hurt feeling now added with furious. Jong-kook take a big step and pull away In-sung’s body from Ji-hyo and hit him hard right on his handsome face. His hand still trembling, holding the urge of hitting that guy continuously. He then take a deep breath to control his anger.

“Didn’t I tell you before, if we meet again with such a complicated situation like that night, I won’t let you go easily? But now what did I just see? You force to kiss her? The situation is more complicated. So, tell me, what should I do to you to makes you back off?”

In-sung try to lean on the couch while wiping the blood stain from the corner of his lips. “I just want to talk to her, but why you always interrupt us, hyung?”

“Really? Talk, huh? I didn’t see you were talking with her because I just saw you kissed her!”

“If only you came 10 minutes later, then you have a good show to watch.” In-sung chuckled.

He can’t hold his anger anymore. It’s way too much. Jong-kook grab In-sung’s collar shirt and makes him stand up, then he push him until he pin him to the wall. His right hand still grab In-sung’s collar shirt and his left hand already clench his fist, ready to punch that handsome face again.

“Oppa andwae!!!” Ji-hyo shout from her place while shake her head to Jong-kook.

Jong-kook take a glance at Ji-hyo who still sit on a couch, seems like she hasn’t move even a bit. Maybe she still in a shock because of In-sung’s sudden 'attack'.

Jong-kook glaring at In-sung then throw his fist hard on the thick wall mirror right beside In-sung’s head. Both Ji-hyo and In-sung shocked by that. The mirror isn’t torn into pieces, it’s only cracked but they can tell Jong-kook must be hurt or even bleeding by hitting that. “Next time I hear you said that again in front of me, I’ll make sure to hit you right on your face again.” Jong-kook loosen his grip on In-sung. “You’re lucky that my girlfriend still has a heart to not let me broke your face.”

In-sung now at the shock state. “M….mwuh? Girlfriend?”

“Yes, girlfriend. Wae? You need a proof? Should I kiss her in front of you like you did earlier?”

Ji-hyo’s current condition isn’t that different like In-sung. She’s shocked. Shocked by the sudden appearance of Jong-kook, shocked by his sudden hitting the mirror, and now she’s shocked by his statement that she is his girlfriend even though she know that he said that to make In-sung back off. So she choose to play along with Jong-kook.

“B…but you said that you’re just her oppa….”

“Yes, I was her oppa long before you meet her and since you wasted her love just like that, then I used that chance to get her heart.”

In-sung’s gaze now goes to Ji-hyo asking explanation. “Ji-hyo ah, he lied, right? He is just your oppa, right?”

Ji-hyo just look at him with a cold stare. “He’s right, I’m his girlfriend. He was saying that he only my oppa to cover up our relationship.” Ji-hyo walk towards Jong-kook and hug his arm.

“You heard her, right? Go and never try to approach in front of us again when I asked you nicely. You have no idea what will I do to you if I see you touch my woman again. But I could tell it will hurt you badly. Oh, and I won’t mind to go in jail if that’s can make you suffer as the punishment for touching my woman.” Jong-kook smirk.

It’s a threat, but In-sung doesn’t feel scared of it because all he feel right now is hurt. He look straightly into Ji-hyo’s eyes. “Mianhae Ji-hyo ah…. I’m sorry for kissed you when you already have a man beside you and I’m sorry for…..”

“Wait, I will just leave you two to clear up things.” Said Jong-kook while put down Ji-hyo's hand from his arm and about to leave.

But Ji-hyo capture his hand and hold it tightly. “Ani oppa, please stay…”

Jong-kook stunned. It’s their first time holding hand and it feels…..warm, comfortable, it can cool down his heart and mind, and it feels so right. He really want to hold her hand like this forever. At that moment, he realize something. He fall in love with Song Ji-hyo. Wait, no. It’s more like he still falling in love with Cheon Seong-im. He choose to reply with a smile.

Her sweet gaze to Jong-kook change into a cold gaze when she look at In-sung. “Go on.”

He know Ji-hyo very well. The way she look at Jong-kook, that gaze is the same gaze that she was giving to him when she was his girlfriend. And now she look at him like he is a disgust thing. He can feel the gaze full of hate in her eyes. Yes, he was hurting her deeply and of course she will look at him that way when he want her back. He should have expected that. In-sung look at the couple with a bitter smile.

“I’m sorry hyung I was doing something rude to your girlfriend. I don’t know that she already has boyfriend.”

“Should she tell you about that? Should she tell the whole world that she has boyfriend?”

“A…ani hyung…. I mean, if I know that she has boyfriend, I wouldn’t do that stupid thing.”

Jong-kook laugh sarcastically. “Are you sure you are her ex-boyfriend? If you were her boyfriend then you must have known that she hate being pushed or forced. Do you realize what have you done to her? Even when she was hitting you, you still kissed her!”

Ji-hyo now look at Jong-kook in confuse. How did he know about that? They only met for a month and how come he know something that only people close to her knows about that? She’s confuse but still manage to show a ‘yes-you-are-right’ face to Jong-kook.

Now In-sung loss of words. He’s right, Ji-hyo hate being forced the most. “I’m sorry hyung…” he then look at Ji-hyo. “I’m sorry Ji-hyo ah. I’m sorry for everything that I did to you. Everything that makes you hurt from the past and what have I did just now. Actually, I want to say lots of things about us, but since now you have my replacement, then I only can pray the best for your happiness. I believe Jong-kook hyung can make you happy now and in the future.”

“Thank you.” Ji-hyo answer in a cold way.

“Please take care of her, hyung…” In-sung make his way out from Ji-hyo’s apartment.

Once In-sung already out and the door closed, Jong-kook slowly release his hand from her grip even though his heart still want to hold her hand. He should back to reality.

“Gwenchana?” Jong-kook look at her in worry. “Did he hurt you?”

“I should be the one who ask that, oppa. Gwenchana?” Ji-hyo take his other hand to check his wound and she found that he’s bleeding.

“I’m okay…..”

Ji-hyo glaring at him. “This is not okay oppa! Look, you’re bleeding!” Ji-hyo pull his arm to guide him to sit on a couch. “Stay there and don’t move!” She ordered.

She come back with the aid kit on her hand and she start clean his wound before treat him. None of them speak until Ji-hyo done put a bandage on his wound.

“Gomawo…” Said Jong-kook while lift his already treated hand by Ji-hyo.

“Oppa, how can you manage to come here?” She finally said the question that she has been holding all the time since she saw Jong-kook entered her house.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter