Realizing

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Few hours before Ji-hyo meet Yeon-seo

It’s the second day Jong-kook passed his life without her. I mean, without get in touch with her. During these days, starts from that night when Ji-hyo said want to break up, he can’t even get a proper sleep. He is doing nothing but staring at their photos on his phone.

Yesterday Hyuk’s coming. He told him everything, from the moment Ji-hyo agreed to do that dating show, his insecurities when he saw her being with her-on-cam-boyfriend, his jealousy, until Yeon-seo part, and the final problem. Not only Hyuk, but Yeon seo is coming as well. The two of them came to cheer him up. Somehow he glad to have them.

“Kim Jong-kook...”

Jong-kook startled upon hearing a familiar voice calling out his name while he’s still drowning in his thought. Slowly he turn his head to where the sound comes from. There, he sees Ji-hyo. She’s here!

He quickly get up and his face shows that he’s excited to see her. “Omo! Ji-hyo ah what are you………”

He stops his words as slowly the smile on his face disappear. He sit back while covering his face with his hands. “Aniya….. this is not real…. She has no reason of coming here….”

 “I have my own reason, oppa.”

Jong-kok put down his hands to his lap but still looking down. He afraid that it’s just his hallucination. He’s afraid he’s too sad that he might see Yeon-seo as Ji-hyo again like when he was drunk that night. He’s afraid that he’s too happy to see Ji-hyo and hugging her when the reality he’s hugging Yeon-seo. He doesn’t want to do the same mistake. Not for the second times.

 “Yeon-seo ah, can you come later? I’m not in a good condition right now.”

“Mwuh??”

“Please, Yeon-seo ah….. I just want to be alone right now.”

There’s mixed feeling inside Ji-hyo’s heart right now. Her intention to come here is to try hearing his explanation. Even though she’s the one who break off their relationship, but she knows she can’t live without him. That’s why she comes, to hear his explanation and to fix everything.

But now, she just came but he called her with another name, that third wheel’s name. She came with a calm mind and being all positive because she knows they can talk about this matter and fix it together. But it only takes a minute after she’s arrived here and he already makes her hurt again by calling her Yeon-seo.

Her tears dropped without her realizing it. “Is it only her name that exist in your head and you’ve been thinking of right now?”

Jong-kook quickly look up at Ji-hyo and found her in tears. This time, he’s sure that she is Ji-hyo because she’s wearing the necklace that he gave. He quickly get up and walk forward but she take a step back.

“Ji-hyo ah…..”

“Is it only me who had been thinking about you and about us these days? While you……. you’ve been thinking another woman.”

“Ji-hyo ah, please…. I have my reason why I mistaken called you Yeon-seo.”

“Because you love her, right? You love her that much until you saw me as her.”

“Oh my God, Song Ji-hyo! She’s 11 years younger and she’s already like my dongsaeng! I do love her but as a little sister!”

“Everything is possible when it comes to love. You can even date a girl who is 15 years younger than you.”

Jong-kook feels hopeless. It’s like she won’t accept everything that he said. He takes a step forward and hold her hand tightly. “Baby please…… give me a chance to explain everything. I can’t live like this, I can’t live without you. I need you, Ji-hyo ah….”

“Are you sure what you said just now? Aren’t you going to tell me that you need that girl since her name is the only one in your mind?” Said Ji-hyo while trying her best to release her hand from his tight grip.

It’s not easy but she made it. Her hand’s now free. But when she looks up to Jong-kook, he is staring at her hand. After few seconds, his gaze moves to her eyes.

“How about you? Do you love him that much?”

“Mwuh?? What are you talking about?”

“Just tell me, are you loving him that much for real? You didn’t even take that ring off.” Jong-kook starts to raise his voice as he starts getting fed up.

Before she came, he stopped at a television channel that aired We Are in Love Season 2. At first, he want to skip that, but deep inside he missed her. That’s why he ended up watching it. And he make a big mistake for watching it because there’s a new feeling inside him now, anger. Seeing them together hurts him. She looks so happy, she cried on his chest, they hugged each other. What makes him more upset is because he remembers that this show is not scripted.

Ji-hyo take a glance at her right hands and just realized that she still wear a ring that Bolin gave to her on Running Man.

“You surely know how to change the topic, don’t you?”

“Wae? Is it wrong for me to talk about this? Do you think only you who can mad at me while I continuously apologizing and pleading to you to hear me out? And what did you do? You simply covering your ears while walk away. Okay, I admit that I made a mistake, but you’re being unfair for not letting me explain everything to you, you know that?!” He starts shouting at her.

As for Ji-hyo, she used to see Jong-kook shouts at people, but it’s her very first time being shouted by him. Somehow she feels scared at him but she also hurts that another tears escapes from her eyes.

Seeing her crying makes Jong-kook soften his voice. “You are being unfair to me, Ji-hyo ah…. about this matter and about you being with Bolin.”

“Bolin? Why you keep brought him up? Didn’t I already told you like a hundred times that we are just a couple on screen? So all this time you didn’t trust me, huh?”

“Why I brought him up? Because this is what I see! You still wearing that ring. You must love that ring a lot since you still wearing it. Or maybe you love that ring because it was given by someone you love too? I wondering what you did with him behind my back all this time.”

PLAKKK!

She slaps him. Of course, Jong-kook startled to receive that slap.

“No matter how many times I should act sweetly with my costar, no matter how handsome they are, and no matter how kind they are towards me, never in my mind having a thought to cheat on you. You were fine when I act in a drama where I should kiss my costar, but why now you make this is a big issue? I didn’t even kiss Bolin, not even kiss his cheek!”

“Because it’s a show and it’s not scripted. While your dramas or movies are scripted.”

“Tell me honestly. Do you ever trust my words all this time when I said there’s nothing going on with me and Bolin in real life?”

“Now you speaks about trust, you also have to tell me. Do you ever trust me when I said I love you and I won’t do stupid things behind your back?”

“Of course I trust you!”

“Then why you are not believe me about Yeon-seo? You are not even giving me a chance for me to explain everything to you! You are not the only one here who gets hurt because me too! I’m hurt too because you’re being unfair to me Ji-hyo ah. My patience also already reach a limit about you and Bolin. It’s okay for me to be the one who ended up swallow and forget everything when I see you being too kind and hopeful towards him. But why when I made one mistake, you act like this? Why Ji-hyo ah….”

Ji-hyo didn’t reply. The two of them only stares at each other with teary eyes before Ji-hyo choose to taking off the necklace that she’s been wearing.

Jong-kook who watch her taking off the necklace suddenly feels uneasy. Ji-hyo then take his right hand, opening his palm, and put the necklace on it.

“Mianhae oppa, but I don’t think I deserve to get this necklace. I……” She has to stop for a second as her voice shaken so much holding the tears to coming out. “I understand what your point is. I’m the bad one here. And a bad person like me didn’t deserve to get this promise necklace. You better give this to Yeon-seo. She’s a bright and kind girl. She’s not bad like me. But oppa, I………”

“Keure!” Jong-kook cut her words while holding the necklace in his hand tightly. “I’ll make sure the next time you meet Yeon-seo, she will wear this necklace. Oh, and you indirectly telling me to date her, don’t you since you push me away while keep thinking that I love her so much. Don’t worry about that too. When we meet somewhere later, I also make sure that I will holding her hand in front of you.”

Her heart clench hearing his words. How she wants to cry right now to ease the pain in her heart, but no, she doesn’t want to cry in front of him again. Not now.

“Well, good luck then. And I hope you don’t mind too when someday I brought Bolin to Running Man gathering. As you said before, I have ‘something’ with him.”

With that, Ji-hyo quickly leaves Jong-kook’s unit in tears. She’s crying because everything that he said was right. She was being unfair towards him and she just realized about that. But still, her anger towards him still there, that’s why she choose to leave him.

 

As for Jong-kook, right after Ji-hyo left, he throw away the necklace in his hand before sit back at his couch weakly. From his spot, he just sit still while staring at the necklace at the corner of the room. Right, he was angry at her, but he realize he shouldn’t be that hard at her. Part of himself relief that he finally said everything to her, but part of himself broke down since he said something that he shouldn’t say to her.

At that moment, the TV show that aired on TV and that he has been turning on, shows a Music Bank program. Lee Hyun goes to the stage as his turn is up.

 

(Highly recommended to play this music while reading the lyric)

 

Close My Eyes by Lee Hyun

I close my eyes, I close my eyes again
But our short memories
Won’t get erased

I keep blankly calling out your names
I love you, I love you

Don’t go, don’t leave me
I think I’ll keep crying on days without you
It hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter