Chapter Forty-Nine

Teach Me What Love Is

Mina’s POV~

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

After returning from the party, I went straight to the guest room at the Byun residence and cried. My makeup must have smeared by now; my hair was loose and a mess. I was a mess. 

Just who the hell was behind this? Why were they doing this to me? Why were they trying to hurt me? Why did Joohyun make up a story that never happened? Why was he really there?

I had so many questions and no answers. It angered me that I couldn’t find the answer. It upset me that I had hurt and humiliated those I had learned to love. What happens now?

I sniffled and lifted my head up to meet myself in the mirror directly in front of me. There she was...the woman I used to be. I recognized this messed up, dysfunctional look. 

I hated it. 

I stood up from the edge of the bed and walked to the mirror, smudging my eyeliner and mascara as I wiped away the tears. I was once like this, but not anymore. I was weak, broken, and even a little traumatized, but not today. I won’t let that overcome me now. 

“I have to find out who did this,” I whispered to myself and there was only one person I could think of...my mother. 

I don’t remember how I did it, but I escaped the Byun’s house through a back window as I had noticed Baekhyun’s parents were still awake in the living room. 

Once I was out in the cold, with no shoes or a coat, I made my way through the icy roads. I was shivering and hugging my body to keep warm when a taxi pulled up. The driver had asked if I needed a ride, but I didn’t have money, so I politely declined. He looked at me with a pitiful look and offered me a hot pack and his coat instead since he couldn’t give me a free ride; I wasn’t going to expect that either. 

I tried to decline again, but he insisted. 

“I don’t know what you may be going through, but a beautiful woman like you shouldn’t be crying alone out in the cold,” he said with a soft smile. “There’s so much more to life.”

I sniffled and smiled at his warm words. Maybe to him, I looked like a runaway bride, but he was sad for me and wanted to cheer me up. 

“Thank you,” I thanked with a small bow and he wished me a goodnight and for me to stay warm. I watched him drive off and continued on my way. 

I don’t know how long it’s been, but I was still walking and my legs were starting to feel sore. My head was hurting and the hot pack was now cold. The only thing blocking the wind was the old man’s coat, but even still, it wasn’t enough to warm me up. 

I was getting exhausted and thought of giving up, but I could see my destination up ahead. A tall, dark building I once loved. My heart raced seeing the hotel in front of me and my feet moved a little faster. I just wanted warmth more than anything else right now. 

Soon enough, I reached the front of the hotel and just stood there, staring through the double glass doors. An employee seemed to have noticed me when they walked by. She was young and came out of the building with shocked eyes. 

“Oh my goodness, are you okay?” she asked and grabbed my hand. She gasped at the touch; she was warm, so warm. She pulled me in the building while asking, “Do you know where you are? Let me call the cops, you don’t look so-“

“Mina,” I barely said my name through my trembling lips. She stopped and looked at me strangely, but worried still. “My name is Lee Mina, you should know that.”

She gasped again, realizing who I was, and bowed to me. Her upper bent low and then she straightened her back up. 

“I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you,” she said and lowered her eyes. I didn’t expect her to recognize me, we’ve never met. 

“It’s fine,” I said, still shivering. “Do you have the master key card?”

“Yes! Let me get that for you,” she said in a rushed, almost panicky tone, and went around the receptionist desk to search for it. 

I never understood why these employees always treated me like some kind of royalty. Or why they always feared me. Many of them I’ve never even met, but I’m sure the rumors got to them before they could make their own judgements of me. 

“I found it,” she said and held up a golden key card. “Uhm, will you be staying the night?”

My hands trembled, cold, while reaching for the card and I asked, “Do you poke your nose into other’s stay? That’s quite unprofessional of you.”

She gulped and bowed her head, “I’m sorry. That was rude of me, please don’t tell your mother.”

My mother...of course, it’s always because of her. 

“Don’t worry, she’s the last person I’d talk to about your behavior,” I said and made my way towards the elevator. I pressed the up button and it dubbed open. 

I entered and felt my heart race with anxiety once the steel doors closed and the elevator moved up. It’s been so long since I’ve been here. Would it be the same as I remembered? 

I got to the top of the building and the elevator opened, welcoming me with a strong stench of alcohol and smoke. It was musty and humid in the hallway. The lights were barely working, many flickering and many others dead. Even the wallpaper began to peel. 

It was like I had entered a horror film, wandering through the abandoned hotel. I’m sure a lady in white and long black hair would scare me soon, but just thinking about that gave me chills. 

I could hear people laughing and loud music banging through the walls. I’m surprised there are even still people here after I left, but then again...they never cared about me. They were only using me because I had money and a title. 

I walked down the hallway, feeling weird in my chest. I really was going through memory lane. This was my home. This was my safe place. I felt alive here, but really I was dead inside, just living as if I were alive. My father built this place for me and I ruined it. I ruined my self here. 

“...hey, I heard that DJ caused a scene at some fancy New Years party,” I heard voices from behind and I turned my head to see a group of girls and guys coming my way. They must have just gotten out of the elevator without me hearing it. 

They saw me and jumped, freaked out at seeing my appearance. Maybe I was the ghost I was waiting to see. 

“The hell?” a guy, loaded with tattoos, said. He looked a little annoyed like I was pulling a prank on them. “Who the are you?”

I ignored them and continued on my way to the end of the hallway when he called out after me. 

“, I was talking to you!” he shouted, but I continued to walk away. 

“Hey, isn’t she the woman in the video? She’s definitely wearing the same dress,” I heard a girl speak and I froze. 

“Oh my god! It really is her!” another laughed. “She looks like a mess.”

I felt a lump grow and my eyes burn with hot tears. Why do they find another’s misfortune so hilarious?

“Wait, isn’t that Lee Mina? The one who was screwing with Joohyun?” the same tattooed guy scoffed and I turned around to glare at them and they snickered amongst themselves. “What a ing !”

That triggered me and I stomped up to the man and slapped him across the face. They all fell silent and the man grew angry. He came at me, but was pulled back by his two male friends. 

“You’re so full of yourself, aren’t you? How dare you shame a woman just because they slept with one person when you think you’ve won the lottery by sleeping with multiple,” I muttered through clenched teeth as I felt my tears stream down my face. “What makes you so confident that you know me so well? That I actually slept with him? That I’m a two-timing who only uses men for their money?”

“Woah, chill woman-“

“No! I will not chill! And I will not stand still just to hear you judge me for some dumb video  you saw without knowing the full story! Without knowing what I went through! You don’t know anything!” I shouted through my cry. I was angry and upset. I wanted someone to just hear me and believe me. 

“Okay, we get, just...just relax,” a girl said, annoyed that she had to listen to my rant. Who was I kidding...these people wouldn’t understand because they haven’t been saved yet. They’re still stuck in that darkness on no self-love or self-respect...no, they’re simply just narrow-minded and self-centered. I won’t waste my time and breath on them. 

I gave them one last look and shook my head in disappointment. Grown adults who only know how to bring others down is just sad; they don’t know anything. 

I turned around and walked away, hearing them talk behind my back, but they no longer mattered to me. I wasn’t going to continue to live my life drowning in others’ opinion and judgement of me. I’m going to find out who did this to me and fix my life for myself and for Baekhyun. I shouldn’t have to drag him down with me. 

 

*****

 

Morning had come, but it wasn’t a new day. It really had only been a few hours since my scandal. I was rudely awaken by loud music every hour last night, so I didn’t get any good sleep. My eyes barely opened, my body was still cold, and my head was pounding. My face was a mess and so was my hair. 

I was able to call the front desk to bring me a change of clothes and they brought up a spare uniform for female employees. I wasn’t thinking of anything fancy, but it’ll do. I just wanted to get out of the dress and be in somewhat comfortable clothes. 

I had a reason to be here at the hotel and that was to find Joohyun, or gain some kind of information about the scandal. I know Joohyun isn’t the guy he played himself to be during that incident, but I also know he easily falls into pressure. The act my mother played was deceiving, even I believed it for a second that she knew nothing about it when she had asked for security to take down the photo. But, where was she when everything was happening after my scandal? Why didn’t she try to control the crowd or shut down the party? She just...disappeared. 

Not only her, but Joohyun was gone too. Who knows if he was taken to the police station like Baekhyun, or if he was transported to the hospital to treat his wounds, but no one paid any attention to him. All eyes fell on Baekhyun and I that night. 

In the middle of my thoughts, I looked at myself in the mirror and my makeup was still a little smudged since I didn’t have proper cleaning wipes, but I tried my best with water and the hotel bar soap. 

I combed my hair with my fingers and put it in a messy bun, then let out a determined sigh. I’m not going to waste any time.

I stepped out of the room and made my way to another room; the room where all the parties were held; the room where Joohyun and I hung out in with others. 

I prepared myself to hear them talk about me. And so, I opened the door and the room was foggy, filled with smoke and other drugs you could think of; illegal drugs. I could probably report this, but not right now. I’ll deal with these people later. 

Many people were knocked out after partying all night. Some sprawled out on the floor and even on top of each other. I don’t miss this life at all. 

I carefully stepped around bodies and broken glass to hopefully find just one reliable person, anyone I could recognize who knew me and Joohyun well. But, I didn’t recognize most of these people. They must be newcomers brought my old attendants.

I heard people groaning in their sleep and I tried to at least look at their faces, but they were all buried. I then saw a familiar face across the room and thought she was the right person to talk to, Somin. She was one of the “originals” who was with me and Joohyun. 

I made my way towards her and woke her up. She mumbled in her sleep and I shook her a little harder. Her long lashes fluttered open and she looked at me, squinting her eyes. 

“Mmm, who?” she said with a hoarse voice, then blinked her eyes. “Oh, Mina?”

“It’s me,” I said and knelt down to meet her eyes as she was sleeping against a chair. “Do you think we can talk?”

She wasn’t fully awake yet, but she slowly nodded. 

“Great, lets go somewhere private,” I said and helped her up. 

“W-Wait. What’s going on?” she mumbled, sleepy. “Why, why are you suddenly here?”

“I’ll explain that later, but I really need you right now,” I said and we managed to get out of the room and into the hallway. I dragged her into the room I had used last night and locked the door. 

I gave her a few minutes to wake up and register what was going on. I offered her water to help with the hangover and once I felt she was fully awake, I was quick to ask her. 

“Has Joohyun been acting weird lately?” I asked and she looked at me confused. “Like, does he not seem like himself?”

“Joohyun? I haven’t seen him in days, but the times I’ve seen him, he looked fine,” she said and took another sip of her water. “Why? What’s wrong with him?”

I swallowed and hoped she wasn’t going to waste my time. I wouldn’t blame her for knowing nothing though. 

“I...I just-“

*beep beep* Her phone buzzed; it was a text message. She looked at me, asking for permission, and I let her see her text. She pulled out her phone and widened her eyes, then looked at me. 

“What?” I asked, knitting my brows and she handed me her phone. I looked at it and there was a message from her friend, who shared a link about my scandal. The news was already out there, creating lies and posting it all over their page. 

My heart raced seeing photos and videos of the incident and of the fake photo of me and Joohyun. Our faces were blurred, but many witnesses were quick to comment that it was me and Baekhyun. I felt my blood drain from my head and I just stared at it in disbelief. 

Baekhyun must have already seen the news. I wonder, how is he taking it? I left so suddenly and didn’t even say anything, he must be hurting right now. 

‘I’m so sorry, Baekhyun. But, I really have to do this.’

“Unnie...what happened last night?” Somin asked and I gave her phone back, my hands trembling. “That’s clearly Joohyun; his chest tattoo is visible in the photo. Did...did you two-“

“No!” I shouted, defending myself and stood up from the edge of the bed. “We didn’t...you know we didn’t.”

She chewed on her lower lip and lowered her head. She was knew Joohyun and I didn’t have that relationship, but she was naive too and believed in everything she read and saw. 

“Believe me, Somin. Someone else is behind this and I think they may have threatened Joohyun,” I said, desperate to have her help me and she looked at me with pitiful eyes. “Tell me...did Joohyun seem different to you in anyway?”

She tilted her head, trying to remember, but it wasn’t easy for her. She forgets things easily too and she doesn’t look at her surroundings either, but I was hopeful. 

“Hmm, well,” she began and I quickly sat back down next to her. “A few weeks ago, he came to the hotel super drunk. He was saying how his life was ed up and how he was sorry. He wasn’t saying it to anyone in particular and no one knew who he was talking about, but he cried while drinking some more. He wasn’t the crying type when drunk, he’s always the loud, happy guy.”

She was right. Drunk Joohyun was always smiling and happy, he never cried. Even when sober, he wasn’t one to cry. 

“Is there anything else?” I asked, urging her to remember more. She furrowed her brows time think. 

“There was also a time he mentioned about giving up his club in Hongdae,” she said and I felt something was off. He would never give up something he worked so hard for. “I don’t know why he said that though when he loves his club. He would never try to sell it off, he’s rather sell a limb than his club.”

I thought hard, if I was to connect my number one suspect, my mother, and Joohyun’s thoughts to the club, she may have threatened him to bring it down. 

“Oh! And hear this, apparently his club is flourishing. He received some kind of fund-“

Bingo. I tuned her out as she trailed off into talking about the club and so I stood up. 

“Thanks for the information,” I said and left the room in a hurry. I didn’t have any money with me, but I managed to snag a few bucks from the hotel employees. I wasn’t necessarily stealing from them, I plan to return them the money, double it even. 

I grabbed a cab and made my way to Joohyun’s club. He most likely wasn’t there, but his people probably knew a thing or two. I’ll make them talk if I have to, but apparently, luck wasn’t on my side. 

 

*****

 

It’s been two days and Joohyun’s club was still shut down. Why?! Why was it shut down if it was “flourishing”?! I literally camped out in front of it and not once did it open. 

Did the witch shut it down? Did Joohyun shut it down? Why am I so unlucky?

I haven’t eaten for days and lacked sleep. It was cold and I had to borrow things from the hotel employees. I may have intimidated them into giving me things, but I didn’t mean to be such a scary person. Damn rumors. 

Not only that, but I missed Baekhyun. Maybe I shouldn’t have tried to be the bigger person and just let Baekhyun handle it, but I’d feel guilty just hiding away. This was my problem between me and my mother and I got him involved when he shouldn’t have, so I should deal with her on my own. I could of at least told him my plan or my whereabouts, but my mind had been blank for days and I didn’t even know what my plan was. I just wanted to end all of this.

Another day was a failure of camping out and I returned to the hotel when I saw someone I didn’t want to see, but, oddly enough, was kind of relieved to see. After all, I was the one who had an employee call him to meet me. 

“Mina,” Mr. Kim said my name with worry. I gave a faint smile and walked up to him. He had a bag full of food and drinks. “Everyone has been looking for you! You were here the whole time?”

I bit my lower lip out of guilt and nodded. He gave a deep sigh and led me to a private conference room on the main level. 

“Baekhyun and the rest of the family are worried sick about you,” he said as we walked to the conference room, so much like a father scolding his daughter. “It’s really taking a hit on Baekhyun, especially with all the news about the two of you.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” I quietly said and he closed the door behind him. I was hesitant to ask because I already knew the answer. “H-How is he?”

Mr. Kim looked at me, still with that worried expression and set the bags of food on the table. 

“Well, no charges were filed against him, so he was released that night,” he said and I felt a tiny bit relieved. “When he found out you left, he was visibly heartbroken. He hasn’t eaten or left his room for days.”

My heart clenched and I was feeling even more guilty. I should feel this way, I deserved it. 

“Why did you leave?” he asked. I swallowed hard and took a seat in front of him. 

“Because I had to find out who was behind all this,” I began to say. “I didn’t want to waste a second and just let someone else handle it. I needed to know and end this. I wanted to clear my name and Baekhyun’s....even Joohyun, who didn’t deserve to be threatened into this.”

Mr. Kim knitted his brows and folded his arms. 

“You know, that night, I came across your friend,” he said and I looked at him intently. “He seemed a bit...off. He wasn’t a part of the list of attendees, so I wondered who had invited him. I also came across a photo of you and him together.”

I felt my pulse race. Was it another one of “those” photos?

He sensed that I was getting nervous and he assured, “It wasn’t anything like that. It was of you two when you were younger and he was hugging you from behind.”

We rarely took photos together, so I knew which one he was talking about. We were only teenagers and we were just barely becoming friends. 

“I wondered why he had that photo with him, so I tried to find him and question him, but I couldn’t find him at all that night. I came across Baekhyun and told him about it, so I handed him the picture,” he said and I frowned. What did Baekhyun think of the photo? I hope he doesn’t think I loved Joohyun or anything...I hope he doesn’t believe that Joohyun was my first for everything when he took all my firsts. 

“I believe you, Mina, and I believe he may have altered those photos,” Mr. Kim said and I warm feeling crept up my chest. To hear someone say they believed me made me feel assured, that everything was going to be okay now. “I know you’re not that kind of person.”

I smiled and said, “Thank you for believing me.”

He sighed into a smile, then his face grew serious. “You called me here for a reason and I think I know why...it must have to do with your mother, right?”

That’s right. I wouldn’t call him just to have a casual chat. I needed him because he was the closest person to my mother. I know he fears her, but I also know he’s been manipulated and hurt by her; I know he gets angry too, but can’t express it well because he’s literally on the same boat as me. Someone to step on just to save their pride of power and abuse their powers to hurt others. I know he holds some resentment against her like me, but we don’t know where to start, so in a way, we needed each other. 

“Yes, I called to talk about my mother. You also suspect her of being the mastermind behind this scandal, right?” I asked and he was quick to nod. “I need your help, Mr. Kim. I know I haven’t been good to you and I’m really sorry about that. I just...hated the fact that you replaced my dad.”

He frowned and leaned over the table to say, “I could never replace your father. The love he had for you, I could never give or even replace.”

I tightened my jaw and thought about my father. My father isn’t replaceable, but Mr. Kim really wasn’t all that bad either on trying to be a father for me. I was filled with anger and hate that I blocked off all people who tried to love me. 

“But, I’m happy to have you reach out to me for help,” he said with a smile and I smiled back. “Because, there’s actually something I need to tell you.”