Chapter Fourty-Two

Teach Me What Love Is

Mina’s POV~

 

It was the day of our trip to the ski resort and I was packing up my clothes for the weekend. I managed to fit everything in my suitcase, then I looked at a small gift bag on the nightstand. It was Baekhyun’s Christmas gift that I had bought a few days ago, but would he like it? I don’t know much about buying gifts, especially for guys. So, I bought the first thing that I saw in the shop. 

“Would he be disappointed if he saw it?” I whispered to myself and walked over to the bag. I sighed and picked it up, somehow managing to stuff it into the suitcase. 

Just then, I heard Bacon bark and I turned my head to look at the bedroom door to see Baekhyun walking in. I slightly widened my eyes and quickly zipped up my suitcase before he could see his present. 

“Did you finish packing?” he asked as he removed his tie. Seems like he didn’t catch on. 

“Uh, yeah,” I awkwardly answered and placed my suitcase on the ground as it was laying on our bed. Today, he was working a half day, so he returned home earlier than expected. “Are you going to pack now too?”

“Mhm,” he hummed and grabbed his suitcase from the closet. He looked at me and smiled. I couldn’t help, but return a smile as he walked over to me. Suddenly, he kissed my lips and I felt myself blush. 

“Yah, what was that for?” I asked and took a step away from him. He chuckled and shrugged. 

“Just felt like giving you a kiss,” he grinned and returned to his suitcase. “It’ll be our first Holiday trip together, so I’m just a little excited.”

I scoffed out a smile and said, “I’m excited too.”

He glanced at me with a sweet smirk and began to fill his suitcase. I left him alone and played with Bacon in the living room, then had a sudden thought. 

“I wonder what he got me...?” I whispered to Bacon as we played with his favorite stuff animal. “Do you think he got me anything expensive? I hope not, that would be too much. But, I hope it’s not just a pair of socks.”

He hadn’t shown any signs of a gift whereas I’ve been anxiously trying to keep it out of his sight. He’s been really calm...did he not get me anything? Or, is he just overly confident about his gift that it makes him feel comfortable? That makes me even more curious!

I sighed and laid on the couch while Bacon threw his stuffed toy around, chasing it wherever it landed. I looked at the time and we still had about an hour before we needed to set off to meet with the rest of our group, which was only Seolhyun and Junior. Due to Mr. Byun’s health, Baekhyun’s parents won’t be joining us. 

I stared at the clock, just waiting. I’ve never felt like this before, wanting to leave the house as soon as possible. I was looking forward to this trip. What memories would I create? Would they be good? I wonder....

 

Baekhyun’s POV~

 

I took a quick peek out of the bedroom to see Mina laying on the couch, staring blankly at the clock. I held in my laugh and returned to the bedroom, slowly closing the door shut. 

“She must be dreading this trip,” I quietly snickered. She didn’t look alive at all, as if someone was forcing her to go. But, she did say she was looking forward to it, so I’ll take those words instead. 

I packed up my suitcase with necessities and looked over to my work bag. I glanced over to the door to make sure Mina wouldn’t barge in and felt it was safe. I reached over for my work bag and pulled out two gifts wrapped prettily in wrapping paper. They were both for Mina. 

I’m glad I hid these gifts in the office or else I would’ve been nervous all day, everyday if she had found them. I looked at the two gifts and smiled, content, then placed them safely into my suitcase. I looked at my wrist watch and it was nearly time to head out to meet with my sister and Junior. We also had to drop Bacon off at my parent’s house on the way, so I picked up my suitcase in one hand and grabbed Mina’s once I had opened the door. 

“Hey, Mina, you ready to head out?” I asked, stepping out of the bedroom and she got up so quick from the couch that she stumbled a little. I lightly laugh as she blushed. 

“Y-yeah, I’m ready,” she sheepishly grinned and she picked up Bacon. “We’re taking Bacon to your parent’s house, right?”

“Yes, but we don’t really need to rush. I’m sure Seolhyun’s going to be late anyways, so let’s not try to be the first one there and have to wait up on her. Besides, I’ve received a text from Junior, we’ll have to pick him up too,” I said as we made our way out the door. 

She nodded and we took the elevator down. Once we reached the lobby and stepped out of the building, I felt someone staring at us. It was a weird instinct, but I turned my head and made eye contact with a man. All I could see was his eyes; he had a mask on and a hat. He wasn’t wearing anything sketchy, but he just stared back. Why was he staring at me so intently? Did he want something? Should I think of this as a threat? But why?

“...hyun...Baekhyun?” I snapped out of my thoughts and turned my attention to Mina. She looked at me concerned and I hadn’t noticed that my brows were furrowed while staring down at her. 

What if he want something to do with Mina?

“Are you okay? I was talking to you and called your name, but you...you were just out of it,” she said and reached her hand to touch my forehead. “You’re not sick, are you?”

I smiled and shook my head, “No. I’m fine. Let’s just...let’s just go.”

I wrapped my arm around her waist and led her to the car. I glanced over my shoulder and this man was walking away. This wasn’t the first time I’ve seen a suspicious person and it felt unsettling. 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” she asked once we reached the car. 

“Yeah, I was just trying to remember if I packed everything I needed, so I zoned out a bit,” I replied and opened the passenger door for her. “What about you? Do you think you’ve got everything?”

She slid into the passenger seat and nodded, “I’ve got everything.”

“Good.”

I shut the door and placed our suitcases in the trunk, then made our way to my parent’s house. 

 

*****

 

It was a long trip up to the ski resort. I drove all the way there while the rest slept, but Mina tried her best to stay awake, probably to keep my company. But, she eventually fell asleep, her head swaying left and right. She always looked peaceful and cute when she slept, I couldn’t stop smiling as I glanced at her from time to time. 

Four hours into our toad trip, we finally reached the resort by evening and had the staff help unpack our belongings from the car. 

“Wow, this place is huge,” Jinyoung said, amazed with wide eyes. “You guys come here every year?”

“Yeah, it’s a family tradition,” Seolhyun smiled and the two headed inside the main lodge. 

I looked over my shoulder to Mina as she was still sleepy. I snickered under my breath and walked up to her. 

“You’re still tired, aren’t you?” I asked, lowering my gaze down to her, as if I was looking down at a child. She gave a big yawn and stretch. 

“Just a little, but I feel like I’ll be wide awake soon since we’re here. I want to look around the place,” she said with a tired smile. “I also want to check out the hot springs Seolhyun keeps raving about.”

I chuckled and held her hand as we walked towards the lodge. 

“We can do that after we settle in and have something to eat. All you had was a granola bar,” I said and she placed her free hand on her stomach. 

“Yeah, I am pretty hungry,” she grinned and I lightly laughed, giving her a kiss on her head. She gasped and looked up at me surprised, then looked at her surrounding wondering if anyone was watching. 

“Yah, don’t do that in public,” she whispered as her cheeks turned pink.

“Why? Can’t I show people how much I adore you?” I teased and she frowned. “Am I only allowed to do this in the bedroom?”

“Yah!” she shouted and punched my arm, then let go of my hand, stomping away.

“She can’t take a joke,” I sighed and followed behind. 

We eventually got checked in and headed to our suite. Since Seolhyun and Jinyoung weren’t too familiar with one another and because they were young, single adults of the opposite gender, the rooms were split between men and women. I was hoping I’d share the room with Mina, but this was the best for my sister and Jinyoung. 

I waved the girls off as our rooms were at opposite ends, but Mina didn’t even look back. She must still be upset about what I did, but is it so wrong to express my love to her? There are still many things she has yet to learn and one is displaying affection towards one another. But, I won’t rush her. I promised to go at her pace. I’ll just a bit as I wait. 

“Hyung, which bed do you want?” I heard Jinyoung ask and looked to him as his head was peeking out of the room. 

“Ah, it doesn’t matter to me,” I said and headed to the room. 

 

Mina’s POV~

 

Why does he always do things so unexpectedly? What if someone saw us? How embarrassing. 

I covered my face with my hands and internally screamed. I didn’t hate it when he kissed me, but how embarrassing to do that in public. 

“Unnie, let’s change into something warmer since it’ll get colder with the sun down,” Seolhyun said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at her and cleared my throat with a nod. She stared at me and asked, “Are you okay? Your face is red. You’re not sick, are you? If you are, we should probably get-“

“I’m fine,” I cut her off and grabbed my suitcase on the floor and lifted it onto the bed. “It’s just...a little hot.”

I glanced at her as she raised an eyebrow, looking at me suspiciously. I gave her a look that I wasn’t lying and she giggled. 

“If you say so. Should I turn on the air then?” she asked and I shook my head. 

“I’ll cool down soon,” I said and she smiled, then headed to the bathroom to change first. 

I flopped on the bed, my face sinking in the soft bed and groaned. She must have thought I’m weird. 

The evening was quick to end. We had our dinner and went separate ways. Jinyoung went to check out the recreation room; Seolhyun went straight to the hot springs; Baekhyun had gone to assist a staff member as there was an issue with something in their room. I was alone, just wandering outside watching people ski. I was surprised many were still out as it was past 9PM. But, the ski area was opened to midnight for adults, so I’m shouldn’t be surprised. People are here to relax and have fun, so they were just taking advantage of that. 

The weather was cold, but tolerable. The fresh snow crunches under my boots as I made my way towards a bench to watch people ski down the slopes. 

It was interesting. Many were experts and some just barely making it halfway down before falling. I always wondered how it felt to fall rather than how it felt to ski professionally. Wouldn’t they break their ankles? Doesn’t it hurt?

“Enjoying your time out here?” I heard someone ask. I turned to look who it was and Jinyoung was walking towards me with a sweet smile. I returned the smile and he took a seat next to me. 

“Aren’t you cold?”

“Not really. As you can see, I’m all bundled up,” I said, showing him my puffy parka and my gloves. He chuckled and turned his attention to the slopes. 

“You look like you’d be able to survive the Arctic,” he said and I lightly snickered. “Don’t they look cool, skiing down the steep slopes?”

I looked at the people again and nodded. 

“Yeah, they look pretty cool,” I said. “I’m a bit jealous.”

“Me too. It’s definitely a different sport compared to soccer,” he said, then pointed to the top of the hill where a person was skiing down really fast. “Look at him go! He’s so fast!”

Jinyoung was just like an excited child as if he was watching the olympics. He was really intrigued, but so was I. 

“How is he going so fast,” I gasped with wide eyes. He made it to the bottom within seconds and I clapped as Jinyoung did too. “He could be an Olympian.”

“I had the same thought,” he said, amazed. “This is already fun.”

I glanced at him as he said that and he was smiling, innocently. He really was having fun. 

“Is this your first time experiencing this?” I asked and he looked down at me. His smile slowly came to a straight line and lowered his gaze to the snow as he kicked his feet, making the snow fly up into the air.

“Yeah, it is,” he said. “My family was too poor to go on any vacations. Not only that, but my parents had to manage the shop, so they didn’t have time to take off.”

I felt like I shouldn’t have asked the question. A sense of guilt overcame me as I listened. 

“The only vacation we had was my grandparent’s house,” he said with a soft smile. “But, I’ve never been out of Korea or even explored the wonders of Korea like this. This is my first time at a ski resort and everything is just so...fascinating.”

He looked up from the ground and looked at the people who passed by us. 

“You know, when I told my parents about this trip, they worried about the expenses,” he said and I felt my chest tighten. “They didn’t want me to come because it would have been too expensive. Even when I told them everything was paid for, they couldn’t accept it. It didn’t sit well with them at first, even I couldn’t accept it, but Baekhyun hyung assured us that everything was fine; we didn’t have to worry.”

I didn’t know Baekhyun had talked to them. 

“My parents still worried, but they wanted me to have fun and experience this at least once while I’m still young,” he continued. “They were thankful to hyung because he gave me an experience my parents couldn’t give me. I’m thankful to him too and of course, you.”

I slightly widened my eyes and asked, “Me?”

He smiled and nodded. 

“Because if I didn’t meet you, I wouldn’t have had a chance like this,” he said and reached his hand out to pat my head. “It’s not just this trip. There were many things I felt and learned when I was with you.”

There was a warm, tingly feeling in my chest. 

“I’m glad I became your friend,” he said and his hand traveled down to my cheek, gently rubbing his thumb against my skin. “So, thank you for letting me be your friend. I couldn’t ask for anyone else.”

I swallowed and faintly smiled. I grabbed his hand that was on my cheek and held it. 

“I should be the one to thank you,” I said and I felt my chest tighten. “For being a part of my life as my friend.”

He smiled and pulled me in for a hug. I was taken aback, but wrapped my arms around his back. This didn’t feel anything like what I feel when I hug Baekhyun. This was different. It was nice and warm, but there was something he didn’t have that Baekhyun had. I don’t love this man like I love Baekhyun. 

Love...was this a friend’s love?

We pulled away from each other and once we met eyes, we laughed. It was a little awkward, but not uncomfortable either. 

“Are you two done?” I heard a voice and we turned our heads to see Baekhyun standing behind us with arms crossed. 

Oh no. Please don’t misunderstand....

“Hyung,” Jinyoung said as if thinking the same thing. 

“This is only our first night and you two are already getting comfortable,” he said and I stood up to speak, but he continued. “Where’s my hug Jinyoung? You’re thankful to me too as a friend, aren’t you?”

I stared at him with wide eyes. Did he hear everything?

“Uh, h-hyung-“

“Come, give your hyung a friendly hug too,” Baekhyun grinned with his arms stretched out. I knew it now, he was teasing us. “Don’t leave me hanging.”

Jinyoung looked at me with a unsure look, but I smiled and nodded at him to give Baekhyun a hug. 

The two eventually hugged and Baekhyun kissed Jinyoung’s cheek out of nowhere. That shocked me, but the one who had the biggest was no other than the victim himself. 

“My dear friend, next time you decide to hug my future wife, it’ll be the lips for you,” Baekhyun teased and Jinyoung’s ears reddened. 

“Hyung!” he shouted in surprised and pushed him away. I didn’t know whether to laugh or still be shocked.

“Now go, I have to punish my wife next,” he said and brushed passed Jinyoung, walking towards me. I backed away as Jinyoung ran off. 

“Look, he and I-“

“I know, I heard everything,” he grinned with a smirk. 

“If you know then you don’t need to punish me,” I said, stretching my arms out like it was going to prevent him from approaching me. 

“But, I need to because you hugged him back,” he said and I eventually fell to the ground, my hitting the soft snow. Within seconds, he was already kneeling down in front of me with a smug smile. 

“You don’t know how jealous that makes me,” he said and I felt my heart race. I wasn’t scared or nervous. Shamefully admitting it, it was kind of exciting to see him like this. “How should I punish you? Should I kiss you on the cheek too? But, the lips look better.”

“Just do the cheek,” I said, feeling my face heat up and he chuckled. 

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me up with him, then trapped me tight in his arms. People were staring and I was embarrassed now. 

“I’ll decide how to punish you,” he whispered into my ear and that sent a shiver up my spine. Why did he have to do this in front of everyone?!

I buried my face into his chest, not wanting him to kiss any part of my face and because I couldn’t bare to look at people right now. He laughed and it felt pleasing to hear with my face buried. 

“There’s no one watching anymore,” he said sensing that I was embarrassed. 

“Liar,” I mumbled. 

“Really, no one’s around anymore,” he assured and I slowly glanced to my side to see no one. I fully lifted my head and not a single person was around us. There were still people skiing but my attention was to the people running off towards the dining hall. 

“Must be the special,” he said with a grin. “It’s hot chocolate with peppermint flavored alcohol. They only sell it at this time and it sells out fast.”

“Oh,” I said and slowly turned my gaze to him. His eyes were only on me and I blushed. I tried to break free from his embrace, but he tightened his grip around my waist. 

“Now, for your punishment,” he said and I swallowed. He tapped his forehead against mine and we just gazed into each other’s eyes before he slowly leaned in and kissed my lips. I gladly accepted this punishment as my heart fluttered. 

It was a short kiss, but he knew I’d be too embarrassed to continue. I didn’t want to continue either as I heard footsteps approaching. 

“Seriously, don’t go making me jealous because I don’t know what I’d do if you went off with someone else,” he said in a low, raspy voice. I smiled up at him and my hands traveled from his chest up and around his neck. 

“Hmm, if this is how my punishment is going to be, then maybe I might just continue to make you jealous,” I teased and he in a breath before chuckling. 

“What am I going to do with you?” he said and buried his head against the outline of my neck. “I want you.”

I felt my pulse race and I just smiled, holding him closer. 

“Me too.”