Chapter Twenty Five

Teach Me What Love Is

Baekhyun's POV~

I pulled an all-nighter waiting for Mina to return home, but she didn't show up at all. No matter how many times I called or texted her, she didn't respond. It worried me what was going through her head or where she was, but I couldn't focus only on her. I had to focus on building up my project with my father from scratch. Losing everything, I knew this was going to be a challenge, but with the lack of sleep I had, it was even more challenging to stay awake. 

I was in my office with Secretary Moon as we both contacted our old shareholders, but none of them answered or they were too busy to talk at the moment. With my fifth cup of coffee already, I felt my tiredness take over my body as I felt myself slow down. 

"Baekhyun-ssi, if you're exhausted then please rest," Secretary Moon suggested, but I couldn't lose a second of time to get at least one shareholder. 

"I'll be fine, just focus on calling these people," I said with a yawn and continued to call others while crossing out names of those we've already contacted. 

I let out a sigh and ran my fingers through my hair while waiting for the last shareholder to pick up, but the longer the phone rang, the more irritated I got. This all just can't be a coincidence, can it? They can't just all of a sudden back out on us and never contact us again, but I'm no detective. I can't solve this problem without knowing anything in detail and I sure as hell am not going to try and solve it with my body slowing down. 

"Baekhyun, I think we should stop for lunch and then you go home to rest for the day. I've already looked at your schedule and you're free for the rest of the day," Secretary Moon said, worried about my condition. I looked at my wrist watch and it was already passed 2pm; I've been here since 7 in the morning. 

"I guess I can stop for today," I said and stood up from my seat to feel my feet slowly give up on me. Secretary Moon caught me and supported me up. 

"Should I call for a doctor?" he asked and I shook my head while rubbing my temples. 

"That's not necessary. I'm only lacking sleep," I said and stood straight up, taking in a deep breath and exhaling. 

"Why did you stay up so late?" he asked, packing up my papers for me. 

"I was waiting for Mina," I answered while putting on my blazer. "She never returned home."

"Oh, I thought things were going great for the two of you," he softly said and I sighed. 

"I thought so too," I replied and looked at my phone hoping I got at least a message or voice mail from her, but I got nothing. "I wonder if something happened. She wouldn't just say 'sorry' and disappear."

"Well isn't that an obvious answer?" Mr. Moon asked and handed me my work bag. "Something must have happened."

"But what? She's not the type to just straight up tell you something is wrong," I said and felt my head get heavy. "Well, I should get going."

"Will you be alright? I can drive you home," he offered and I agreed since I knew I'd fall asleep behind the wheel. 

We both walked out of the building and to my car when I noticed my father across the street. He was with my mother and they were laughing together; it's been awhile since I've seen them so happy together. I smiled at the scene and they saw me from where they were coming from. I gave them a quick wave before entering the passenger seat of my car. 

"Your parents look youthful today," Secretary Moon chuckled and I gave a weak snicker. 

"You should see them at home," I replied and it hit me that I haven't gone home in awhile too. I should visit soon with Mina; I kind of miss my house, Seolhyun and my parents. 

I sighed through my nose and looked out the window at all the passing buildings and cars. It made me even more tired, but I tried not to fall asleep in the car, I'd only trouble Secretary Moon. 

I pulled out my phone to play a game, but I saw that there was one missed call...not from who I expected it to be. Why would Mrs. Kim call me? Is she checking up on my progress? Is she going to blow up on me because I told my father to cancel her position as the lead? Whatever it was, I didn't want to talk to her. 

I set my phone on my lap when there was a quick buzz; a message. I looked at it and it was Mrs. Kim. I swiped on the message and read it. 

"Do you have any idea where your 'wife' may be?" it read and I furrowed my brows, then another one came in. "Cause I do."

My heart was pounding and I stared at the last text when another came in. It read, "I heard from one of my staff that she's at that hotel drunk. Who knows what happened last night, but I can't guarantee you that good things happened. I'm sure you've heard the rumors about her."

"What the hell is she talking about?" I whispered. 

"Something wrong?" Secretary Moon asked and I shook my head. I texted her back telling her to stop messing around and she was quick to text back. 

"If you're doubting me then why don't you head on over there and check it out yourself," it read and there was nothing more. I clenched my jaw and stared at the messages. 

"Let's make a quick stop somewhere," I said to Mr. Moon and felt even more irritated. 

Mina's POV~

I woke up with a massive hangover and saw that I wasn't in my room back at home. I looked at my surrounding and I was in a hotel room...the room I always used for myself. I couldn't remember what happened last night, but I had a feeling I did something I regretted. 

I groaned and rubbed my temples to stop the throbbing pain in my head when the door opened. From my angle, I looked and popped out Joohyun. 

"Sleepy Beauty is finally awake," he chuckled and I saw that he had a bag in his hand. I slowly sat up as he set the bag on the night stand besides the bed. 

"Don't force yourself, you should lay down a bit longer," he said, but I was already sitting up so there's no point going back down. "I brought you some warm hangover soup, water and medicine. You were drinking a lot last night."

"Was it bad?" I asked and he nodded. 

"Really bad," he snickered and I groaned, running my fingers through my hair. "But nothing bad happened, you were just drunk. I mean, some guys tried to hit on you and seduce you, but I made sure no one touched you."

"Thanks," I sighed and felt everything wanting to come back up, but it wouldn't come. I felt Joohyun's large hand rest on top of my head and I looked up at him. 

"Mina, why are you here?" he asked with a frown and I raised an eyebrow. 

"Uh, because I got drunk?" I asked and he shook his head, taking a seat at the edge of the bed. 

"What I meant was, why are you here? At the hotel?" he asked and I wasn't quite catching on with the condition I was in. "Why aren't you with him? Did something happen?"

Oh, that's what he meant. Just at the mention of Baekhyun brought back the feelings I didn't want to have back. I didn't say anything and removed his hand away from me. 

"Can I not be here? It's not like I've been banned," I scoffed and turned away from his concerned gaze. 

"Mina, you don't belong here," he said and that hit me in the chest. "You're not supposed to be here."

"And why can't I?" I retorted in a soft voice. "This is my father's hotel."

He let out a sigh and said, "That's not what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that you haven't been here in months and for you to suddenly show up, getting drunk and trying to act all hardcore doesn't feel right."

I swallowed hard and fiddled with my fingers. 

"I know things were going good for you and Baekhyun hence why you never returned to the hotel acting reckless," he said and I felt my body burn; I was getting emotional again. "Go back home where you belong-"

"You don't know where I belong," I said through clenched teeth and glared at him. "This is where I belong with the rest of these people who have no hopes, no dreams and no life! Getting drunk is what I did; getting high was my daily meal-"

"But Mina that's not what you're doing right now!" he shouted, which took me by surprise. He was frustrated with me, I knew that very well. "Over the past several months you had a great life! I mean look at you! Your skin is glowing, your body looks healthy and your covering up more skin! Don't go categorizing yourself with those people!"

I hated it when he yelled at me. Why? Because I hated the fact that he was right. 

"Mina, tell me what's wrong," he said, lowering his voice. "Why did you really come here?"

I looked away and bit my bottom lip when he grabbed my hand. I glanced at him and his expression was sad. 

"Was it your mother again?" he asked and I felt my tears well up in my eyes. That was enough for him to know. "That ."

He stood up and breathed heavily, frustrated. 

"That's harassment right there. She's been doing this since your middle school days! Report her , Mina," he said and I shook my head. "What the hell. Why won't you?"

"Its not easy-"

"Of course it is! Just dial the three digits and report her," he said, more frustrated.  "Besides, you gotta stop living like that. She can't control you, you're a ing adult already. Stop living in fear!"

"I said it's not that easy, Joohyun!" I shouted having enough of him. I felt my tears breaking free and I bit my bottom lip to hold back my cry. "She knows my weakness and she's using it against me."

"And by weakness you're talking about your father, right?" he asked and before I could even answered he continued, "I know that, Mina. I saw the photos and items on the floor in the hallway. But you can't let that get to you-"

"But that's all I have of him to remember," I quietly cried and he deeply sighed. 

"Gosh, you're so difficult to talk to," he said and sat back down on the bed. "Those are just pictures. Sure, they're precious to you, but what's important is that your memories of your father are engraved in your heart."

"But-"

"Oh. My. Gosh," he groaned and facepalmed himself. "Now you listen to me very carefully."

He grabbed my arms and looked me straight in the eyes. 

"If you really loved your father and if he was really that important to you then regardless, you would remember everything about him. No matter how old you get, you'd remember his face, his laugh, his smile and everything great about him because they're stuck in your heart. Not because of some photo you took with him," he said and that hit me in the chest. "Don't let him be your weakness. Let him be your strength, realize that Mina. Your father wouldn't want you to kneel down to that demon, would he?"

I didn't have to think hard about it and answered, "No."

"Then don't run away anymore," he said and raised his hand to caress my cheek. "Because if you run away, you'll never learn to grow strong. You'll never be able to move on. You'll remain the weak woman that you are and that'll only hold you down."

I looked up at Joohyun and he gently smiled. 

"Besides, you'll only worry him more," he continued and I blinked my eyes. "I'm talking about Baekhyun now. I don't know him well, but what I do know is that he's everything you've needed to this point."

"How do you know that?" I whispered and his smile grew bigger. 

"Well obviously cause he's feeding you some good stuff," he teased and I punched his arm in a friendly manner. "But seriously, this wall you've built around yourself. I think it's time to break it down and for you to see the good in everything that's happening around you."

I wasn't sure if I was capable of doing that, but I nodded anyways. 

"And Mina, don't come back to your old roots," he softly said. "Be who you've become."

I nodded and he smiled, gesturing to eat, "You should hurry up and eat the soup before it gets even more cold. I've got a nightclub to run, so I'll be leaving first."

"Okay," I said and shifted my position when he just stared at me. "Uhm, you got more scolding to do?"

He lightly laughed and shook his head, "Nah. I was just thinking how nice it is to be in love."

I choked on thin air and scoffed, "Who's in love?"

He laughed, wholeheartedly, and said, "You really are difficult to talk to, but you know, Prince Charming will come."

I cocked my head to the side, confused and he knew I was.  

"Literally, every single time you come here, he finds his way here to you. I guarantee you that he'll show up today and take you back home," he laughed and I rolled my eyes; he was teasing me. "And when he does, don't pick a fight and go with him cause that's where you belong."

I felt a warm feeling in my chest and Joohyun gave one last smile before walking out the room. I sat on the edge of the bed and soaked in everything Joohyun lectured me on. I wondered to myself, "Just what exactly am I doing? All this time I've been selfishly thinking about myself."

Baekhyun's POV~

"Uh, are you planning to sleep here today?" Secretary Moon asked and I chuckled. 

"No, I'm here to pick up my wife," I answered and got out of the car before I could see his reaction. I walked towards the entrance when I bumped into a man.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he apologized and I did the same. We both looked up at the same time after our bow and we widened our eyes. "Prince Charming!"

"Y-you!" we both chorused. 

"Damn, I knew you'd come," he smiled happily and I looked at him like he was weird. 

"Is Mina here?" I asked and he nodded. "Back in that room?"

"Damn straight," he grinned. "But I must warn you, she looks like a total mess."

I furrowed my brows and he snickered. 

"Its nothing bad though. It's just her hair is a bird's nest and she reeks of alcohol," he said, but I still didn't like the sound of that. "Well, I'll leave her in your care."

And he started to walk away when I had a question about something. 

"Hey!" I called out to him and he stopped, turning around to look at me. "Can I talk to you for a few minutes?"

He was flustered, but he agreed to talk, so we went to the coffee shop next to the hotel. I ordered him a iced americano while I got nothing; I had enough coffee for today. 

"So, what is it you wanted to talk about?" he asked and I got straight to the question. 

"What's this rumor about Mina?" I asked and he raised an eyebrow. 

"Hmm, care to elaborate?" Joohyun asked. 

"Well, that's it. I don't know much as to what this rumor is about," I said and he sighed. 

"That doesn't help, but the only rumor I know about Mina is that she sleeps around with men," he said and I snapped my fingers. 

"I've heard that too," I almost gasped. "Is that the one she was talking about?"

Joohyun blinked his eyes and frowned, "Who is this 'she'?"

"Mina's mother," I answered without hesitation. He sighed and leaned back in his seat; he looked annoyed. 

"Of course it'd be her," he mumbled and looked at me. "Don't believe that woman, she's just trying to ruin Mina."

That's not what I was really worried about though. It's the thought of Mina sleeping with other men that scared me and Joohyun seemed to have read my mind. 

"Have some faith in her," he said and crossed his arms. "She's not that type of woman. If she was then I would've slept with her already and she would've slept with you."

That seemed believable. 

"It all started with that jerk who got rejected by her back in high school then it went on from there," he continued. "But Mina's never slept with anyone. She's never even had her first kiss."

That was a surprise to me, but I was relieved to hear that. 

"Mina has never had a boyfriend, so she doesn't know how to act in front of the person she likes. She doesn't know what love is either, she doesn't know the feeling of being in love," he said and I knew that last few parts already. "She's scared of being in love you can say."

"Why do you say that?" I asked as he took a sip of his drink. 

"That's because she's afraid of getting hurt like before. She's already lost one man she's loved, she doesn't want to lose another," he answered and I felt my chest tighten. "That's what I believe at least."

"No, I belive you too," I quietly said and lowered my gaze. 

"Hey, Baekhyun?" I heard Joohyun's voice and I looked up to see a soft expression with a faint smile. "Whatever you're doing right now, don't stop...don't give up on Mina, ever. I know she's hard to be with; childish, annoying, stubborn and the list can go on. But don't give up on her because you're all she has left."

I gave a smile and said, "I won't ever give up on her. No matter what happens, she's the one I want, I'm certain about that."

Joohyun looked relieved and nodded, "I'm counting on you then."

He looked at his wrist watch and stood up. 

"I gotta go, so I'll be leaving first," he said and I nodded. He walked out and I left soon after, heading into the hotel. The staff greeted me and I walked to the elevator, waiting for it to come down. Once it did, the doors opened and appeared Mina in front of me. She didn't look like a hot mess, but she did reek of alcohol. 

"Baekhyun," she quietly said my name and I gave her an angry look. I grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the elevator. 

"Why didn't you respond to my texts or calls?" I asked as we walked out of the hotel. "Why'd you suddenly disappear?"

"I-I was-"

"Getting drunk?" I asked and looked at her as she hung her head low. "I'm not happy right now and I'm extremely tired, so let's just go home for now."

She nodded and we both headed to my car where Secretary Moon was patiently waiting. We both got in and stayed quiet; Mr. Moon didn't question us and drove off. He was obviously uncomfortable with the atmosphere, but I really was mad at Mina, not pissed off, but mad. 

We finally got home and I grabbed my work bag. 

"If any of the shareholders call back, contact me immediately," I said to Secretary Moon and he nodded. "Mina, get out of the car."

She obeyed silently and got out. We both walked into the building and made our way up to our level. 

"Baekhyun, about last night I'm sorry," she softly said and I stayed quiet. The elevator opened and we both walked out to our apartment. 

I opened the door and placed my work bag against the wall in the living room. I crossed my arms and turned around to look at Mina; she really was apologetic and I wanted to give up. 

"Why don't you go shower," I said and she slowly nodded. She headed into the bathroom and I let out a sigh. I really can't stay mad at her for long when she looks like that. 

I loosened my tie and flopped onto the couch. My eyelids were already getting heaving and eventually I closed my eyes, but I wasn't asleep yet. I wanted to wait til Mina was done with her shower so I could punish her. 

I waited for what felt like forever, but it was only 12 minutes and she came out with a towel wrapped around her body. Her hair was wet and there was still water droplets on her body; it was a sight I couldn't take my eyes away from. I mean, I am a man after all. 

I sat up and she wrapped her arms around her body making sure the towel wouldn't come loose. 

"I'll quickly change, then you can yell at me," she said and headed to the bedroom, but I stood up and blocked her way at the doorway. I looked down at her as she covered her chest with her arms and my eyes made their way up to her eyes. 

"I'm going to punish you the way you are right now," I smirked and she widened her eyes. I wrapped my arms around her and lifted her over my shoulders, making sure she was completely covered. 

"B-Baekhyun! Put me down!" she panicked and I snickered as I put her down on the bed. I took off my tie and ed a few buttons, revealing a part of my chest. "Baekhyun, we can't do this."

"I'm going to punish you," I said and climbed onto the bed as she scooted back, still clinging onto the towel.

"Baekhyun, I really am sorry, but please don't do this," she said and I pinned her against the bed beneath me. I lowered my head and she gasped, turning her head away and shutting her eyes tight. 

I chuckled at the sight and hugged her instead. I had no intentions of doing anything else. 

"This is your punishment, Mina," I said. I wasn't sure what her reaction was, but I could tell she was relieved although the fast beating of her heart said something else. "Let's stay like this until morning."

"W-what?! B-But I'm still wet," she said trying to get me off of her. That only made me hold on tighter. 

"I don't mind," I responded back. 

"You'll get wet too," she said and I snickered against the nape of her neck. 

"That's fine."

"I don't have any clothes on though."

"Even better-"

"At least let me put on a pair of undergarments-"

"Nope. If I say we're going to stay like this until morning then we are going to stay like this," I said. "I'm really exhausted because of you, so let me sleep like this."

She didn't fight back this time and let out a sigh of defeat. 

"At least change your position. You're crushing me," she said and that was something I could do. I got off of her and pulled her against me as we laid on our sides with her back pressed against my chest. I tightened my hug around her waist and dug my face into her neck. There was a nice sweet fragrance from her shampoo which brought a nice sleeping affect. I closed my eyes and continued to embrace her. 

"Baekhyun," she said my name in a soft voice. I hummed in response and she continued, "Did you stay up waiting for me?"

"I did," I answered. 

"Why?" she asked. 

"Because I was worried about you. You suddenly disappeared, so it was only instinct taking over," I replied. "You know, all I needed was  one call or text to put me at ease."

She was quiet for a bit and I asked, "Why did you run away?"

She was silent, but her heart wasn't. 

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked another question. "If so, then please tell me."

"No, you did nothing," she answered. "Its just...my insecurities took over and I ran away from it."

"What insecurities?" I asked, lifting my head up just a bit to look at her side profile. She turned her head too and we looked at one another face to face. 

"I can't really tell you," she whispered and I frowned a bit. There's that barrier again between trust. "But once I overcome it, I'll tell you. As of now, though, all I can say is I'm sorry for worrying you. I'm sorry for being so selfish and for everything else."

Her eyes were sincere, yet so sad. I sighed and leaned down, resting my forehead against hers. 

"If you're really sorry then please don't disappear from me again," I said and she hesitated with a nod. "Promise?"

"I'll do the best I can," she said and I chuckled a tired one. 

"I guess that's the best answer I can get from you," I said and went back to laying my head on the pillow. 

This was a first for us; sleeping together on the same bed. Me holding her to sleep and she wasn't fighting me to let her go or for touching her, especially when she's only got a towel on. I liked it like this. Of course, not necessarily the part that she's got no clothes on, but the fact that I can embrace her peacefully like this. This is what couples should be doing anyways...falling asleep in each other's arms. 

Mina's POV~

It's been 3 days since then and Baekhyun's rarely been home. He's at the office all day and night trying to figure out how to fix the situation, but no luck.

My mother's been calling me nonstop to check up on his progress and I tell her. She's happy to know that he's getting nowhere and that she'll soon take over. I hated the thought of that, but what could I do? She'll destroy the photos of my father, I can't let that happen. 

I sat in the living room with Bacon as the sun slowly went down. I looked at the clock here and there as if I was waiting for him to come back, but he wasn't going to come. He had told me earlier that he was spending the night at the office, so he wasn't going to make it home tonight. I sighed and rubbed Bacon's belly. 

"I guess we're going to bed early," I said and stood up, feeling my legs cramp up as I was sitting cross-legged on the couch. I scrunched my nose up in pain and sat back down to massage my legs. 

I let out another sigh and looked at the clock once again to see time going by super slow. I wondered if time was going slow for Baekhyun too...or if time even existed to him. 

Once my legs felt fine, I stood back up and entered the bedroom, belly flopping onto the bed. Bacon jumped up and joined me. 

"Looks like it'll really just be you and me tonight," I mumbled and petted his head. "That's fine though, at least we have each other."

Bacon curled up into a ball and I heard his soft breathing; he was always the type to sleep fast just like Baekhyun. I faintly smiled and switched my position into something more comfortable; I closed my eyes and let sleep take over. 

It was nice and peaceful to be asleep. There was no burden to worry about, no pressure...I was at ease like this. Or so I thought. 

Even with my eyes closed, I could only think of Baekhyun. How was he doing? Was he sleeping right now or working his off? But why am I so worried about him?

I shifted my position again when I heard footsteps outside of the bedroom. My eyes shot open as my back was faced to the door and I heard it slowly creak open. My heart raced thinking it was some burglar or creeper, but my body froze. 

This person's footstep got louder and eventually, I felt the bed sink in. I shut my eyes tight thinking it was probably me hallucinating, but the bed sunk deeper in. I wasn't dreaming! 

Then this person's fingers brushed against my cheek, making me flinch, but I caught a whiff of this person's scent; I recognized who it was immediately.  

"You're awake, aren't you?" Baekhyun asked and I ended up, looking over my shoulders at him. 

"You scared me. I thought it was some creep who somehow got in," I quietly said and he lightly laughed. I could tell he was exhausted. "Why are you here? I thought you were spending the night at the office?"

He gave a faint smile and brushed a few loose strands of hair behind my ear and answered, "I was worried about you. I thought you'd have a nightmare like you used to back then."

There was a warm feeling inside my chest and he caressed my cheek. 

"I'm happy to see that you're fine," he sweetly smiled. Seeing him force himself to smile when he's so tired made me turn away. 

"Of course I'm fine, I've been fine since you've slept in this room with me," I said, honestly. "I don't have nightmares anymore."

His hand never left my cheek...the tenderness of his touch was nice. 

"I'm glad to hear that," he softly said and the bed sunk in deeper as he got closer. My heart raced at the closeness and he laid down besides me, wrapping his arms around my waist, holding me close as he dug his face into my back. 

"Baekhyun?" I said his name in a soft voice. 

"Mina...I need you," he whispered and my chest started to ache. "I really need you right now."

I didn't know what to say as I was in shock. He didn't say anything either and just held onto me, but a few minutes later he slowly let me go. The bed wasn't sunk in anymore as he got off and let out a long sigh. 

"Now I'm recharged and I feel like I can work again," he said and I turned to look at him. Although, I knew he was tired, he gave a bright smile. "Thanks for that, Mina."

I frowned and he snickered, "Don't give me that look. I'll be fine, so just go back to sleep. I'll be returning to the office, so I won't be able to see you until later in the evening tomorrow. Hopefully."

I swallowed hard and he was feeling apologetic with the expression he was giving me. He sighed and leaned over the bed, ruffling my hair. 

"If you want me to stay, just say so and I will," he said and my gaze dropped, quickly answering, "No. You should go."

I couldn't ask him to stay. There were more important things he had to do than waste his time here with me, so I couldn't. 

He drew his hand back and nodded, "Then I'll be going. Goodnight, Mina."

"Night," I whispered and he was out he door, closing it behind him. 

I pulled the blanket closer to me and hugged what I could. I've never felt so lonely since Baekhyun entered my life, but I don't have the right to be feeling lonely right now. The only right I have is to feel guilt.