Chapter Thirty One

Teach Me What Love Is

3rd Person POV~

At the resturaunt, dinner was being served to the family as Mrs. Kim leaned towards her husband. Mina's eyes traveled to their little exchanged of words, but she wasn't able to hear what they were saying.

"Give me the drug," Mrs. Kim whispered to Mr. Kim. "I'll take care of this."

He glanced at her, hesitant and she reached her hand out from under the table. He swallowed hard and handed her the small bottle of drugs; she cracked a small smile took the bottle, slipping it into her clutch and turned to the rest of the family.

"Please excuse me while I go to the restroom," she said and stood up, leaving the room with her clutch. She closed the door behind her just as a waitress was walking towards their room with wine glasses. Mrs. Kim smirked and grabbed the waitress by her arm, taking her by surprise.

"M-Mrs. Kim, is there a problem?" the young waitress asked.

"Show me to your wine room," she said, looking down at the wine glasses. "I'd like to offer my in-laws the perfect wine."

"Oh, I'd be happy to show you the room, but it's our policy that only employees enter-"

"Are you denying me right now? Should I get you fired?" Mrs. Kim asked, annoyed. The waitress panicked as she had just started this job not too long ago. "All you have to do is show me your wine room and I'll pick out the best wine I want for our dinner. Is that too much to ask for?"

The waitress swallowed hard and shook her head. "No, ma'am. Right this way, I'll show you where we store our wine."

Mrs. Kim smiled, pleased, and they made their way to the wine room. It was hidden deep behind the resturaunt's kitchen and there were wine bottles neatly stacked on top of one another. She was an expert on wine and its' brand, so it was easy for her to pick out the most expensive and best tasting wine. She looked to the waitress with a smile and placed her hand out.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to taste this wine," she said with her eyes locked on the wine glasses that the waitress was still holding onto. The young woman was flustered, but gave one of the glasses to Mrs. Kim. Of course, there was no reason to taste test when she knew the taste very well.

Mrs. Kim turned her back to the waitress and opened the wine bottle. She poured in the rich, red liquid into the glass and glanced over her shoulders to see the waitress looking away. She smirked and dropped the glass onto the floor.

"Omo!" Mrs. Kim gasped and covered with her hand. The waitress quickly turned around and widened her eyes at the shattered glass and wine spilled on the floor.

"Oh no, my fingers slipped. I didn't mean to," Mrs. Kim sighed, faking an apologetic face.

"I-It's okay. I'll go get the cleaning materials," the waitress said in a rush and quickly left the scene. Mrs. Kim giggled and took out the small bottle of drugs she was hiding in her clutch. She quickly opened it and poured in the liquid into the wine. Her eyes remained on the door and she threw the empty bottle back into her clutch, then swirled the wine bottle to mix it into the wine.

It wasn't long when the waitress came back with a janitor and the manager; Mrs. Kim pulled on the innocent act again.

"I'm so sorry to have caused such a mess. I'll pay for the wine glass," she said and the manager shook his head.

"Don't worry about it, Mrs. Kim," he said with a smile. "Please just enjoy your dinner."

Mrs. Kim was still "apologetic" and nodded, "My family and I will enjoy our dinner."

The manager nodded and she excused herself. She walked out of the room and looked over her shoulder to the waitress. They made eye contact and she gestured for the young woman to follow her. The two woman walked out of the kitchen and Mrs. Kim made sure there was no one around, then looked straight into the waitress's eyes.

"Serve this wine to Mr. Byun and him only," she said in a serious tone, then lightened up a bit. "It's to congratulate him on his successful project."

"Okay," the waitress nodded.

"And I'd like to serve Baekhyun and the rest of the family with the same wine, but please give them a new bottle," she said and the waitress looked at her confused. Why would she serve everyone the same wine, but have Mr. Byun drink from a different bottle?

"Uhm-"

"Don't dare mess this up for me. It's a special day today," she said and strutted away without another word, leaving the waitress speechless and confused. Mrs. Kim returned to the room and that's when everything happened.

*****

At the hospital, the family waited in their private waiting room when Mr. Kim walked in. Everyone stood up awaiting for the news on Mr. Byun's condition.

"As of now, it is nothing serious," Mr. Kim sighed in relief with a forced smile. "There must have been something in the food for him to react that way, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes close on him."

"Oh thank goodness, that's a relief," Mrs. Byun sighed and gently grabbed onto Mr. Kim's arm. "My husband is under your care."

Mr. Kim nodded, but was torn apart seeing her with a hopeful look in her eyes. He cleared his throat and turned to the family.

"He's currently asleep, but you may see him before you leave for the night," he said and gave a small bow before leaving the room with Mrs. Kim following behind. Mina watched them leave, then looked to Baekhyun who was still concerned. She placed her hand on his shoulder and he looked down at her.

"Don't worry about it too much. Mr. Kim said your father isn't experiencing anything serious. He'll be fine," she said in a soft, sincere voice and he smiled. He grabbed her hand and lifted it up to his lips, giving the back of her hand a peck with a faint smile.

"I hope so," he said and held onto her hand tightly.

Meanwhile, behind closed doors in the office of Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim couldn't stop giggling to herself. Her husband watched her in disgust, but then again, he was disgusted in himself for agreeing to be a part of this.

"Did you see the look on their faces? Priceless!" she laughed and Mr. Kim swallowed hard. "Everything is going great! Baekhyun will have no choice, but to take over his father's position and I'll be able to destroy him."

"And how exactly are you going to do that? Baekhyun is a smart kid, he won't fall into any of your traps," Mr. Kim said, raising his voice.

"I haven't really made a plan yet about how I'm going to do it, but I do know his weakness," Mrs. Kim smirked. "Aside from getting rid of his father or any other member of his family, I'll have to keep on manipulating Mina. I'll just have to destroy their relationship and use it as a distraction for Baekhyun; his work performance will go downhill and it'd be the perfect opportunity for me to take over even if it meant taking over little by little."

Mr. Kim scoffed at her claims and shook his head in disbelief. "Don't you find this whole 'power' thing ridiculous? And ruin their relationship? What a joke! Not only that, but a lot of the time when you speak it's always Mina this or Mina that, you can't ever do anything without mentioning to harm Mina or to manipulate her...why are you so obsessed with her? Why are you so obsessed with hurting her? Haven't you done enough damage?"

"Hurt her?" Mrs. Kim scoffed, enraged. "You're the one who killed her special person. You're the one who took her mother away. No...you're the one who took her happiness away, it all started with you."

Mr. Kim felt his heart stop and felt his eyes burn with anger.

"You're doing this again," he snickered with a smirk. "You're trying to put thoughts into my head; you're trying to put the blame on me by making me think it really was all my fault."

"Cause you are to bla-"

"I at least tried to treat her as my own daughter!" he shouted and slammed his palms ontop of his desk as he stood up; Mrs. Kim flinched with wide eyes. Just then, there was a knock on his door and their eyes went straight to the door.

"Mr. Kim, you've got a meeting in 10 minutes," the recieptionist said from the other side of the door.

"Thank you, Ms. Yang. I'll be there," he said loud enough for her to get the message and it went quiet in his office. He glared at his wife and let out a sigh. He grabbed his notebook and folder full of documents and headed to the door, but he was sure to put in his last words.

"Tell me...when was the last time you treated her as your daughter? When was the last time you called her beautiful and that she was worth it?" he asked and Mrs. Kim scoffed not wanting to hear any of this...not wanting to know how bad of a mother she was. "I did my best to bring her self-esteem up while you were bringing it down when she was growing up without any parents. She may have not appreciated me being in her life, but I know she did not appreciate having you in hers either. And yes, it's true that I did take her father away, but I did not take her mother...she left on her own."

And with that, he walked out of his office leaving an angry woman behind, but when is she never angry?

As he was walking down the hallway, he saw Mina walking towards him. His heart dropped and he couldn't meet eyes with her. His plan was to walk passed her, but she was quick to stand in his way.

"Sorry, Mina, I've got a meeting to get to. If you're looking for your mother, she's in my office," he said and tried to move around her, but she moved along with him. His eyes were still locked on the tiled floors.

"I want you to listen to my request, that's it," she said and he looked up to see a sad expression. He has never seen this kind of face before and it broke his heart. "I'm no doctor, but I do know someone who is and that person just so happens to be you. I ask that you help Mr. Byun get better...I don't want this 'nothing serious' to become 'serious'. I don't want Baekhyun and Seolhyun to go through what I went through as a child, so please...please take care of him."

She gave a deep bow, which shocked him and he opened his mouth to speak.

"Mr. Kim! Meeting's in less than a minute!" another doctor said from down the hall and Mr. Kim nodded, signaling him to go first.

"Mina, lift our head," he said and she did, their eyes meeting. "I'll do what I can to help Mr. Byun. You can put your trust on me."

She was relieved to hear that and gave a faint smile, "Thank you."

He smiled and nodded, then left with a heavy heart.

"Trust me, huh? Who am I kidding," he whispered under his breath. "If anything, you should continue to hate me."

Mina watched Mr. Kim disappear around the corner, then made her way to his office where her mother was. She got passed the recieptionists desk and opened the door to see her mother's silhouette in the dim lighting of Mr. Kim's office; she was standing by the window looking out at the city streets.

"Why is it that everytime I enter you're in a dramatic pose?" Mina said and Mrs. Kim smirked, turning around to face her daughter.

"Why is that everytime you enter, you ruin my train of thoughts?" she asked with an eyebrow raised.

"As if anything thoughts run up in there," she snorted and made her visit quick. "I came to give you an update since you like hearing these sort of things."

Mrs. Kim grew interested and leaned against the window frame, gesturing her to continue.

"Not too long ago after the news about Mr. Byun's situation broke out, Baekhyun recieved a call from officials that he temporarily take over his father's position until he recovers," Mina said and continued, "I'm only telling you this as my warning. Don't get in Baekhyun's way and the Byun Group will never be yours."

"We'll see about that," Mrs. Kim snickered and Mina left with a scoff.

Mina returned to Baekhyun's side and they stayed another few minutes with Mr. Byun before heading home. On their way back, Baekhyun kept sighing and Mina wasn't sure how to comfort him. For him, it felt like a ton load of responsibility was thrown at him and he wasn't sure if he was physically, mentally or emotionally ready for any of this. Mina placed her hand over his, which rested on the gear shift.

"Don't let this overwhelm you," she said. "You've been doing great as is and as corny as this may sound...I'm here."

He glanced at her with a grin.

"Mina would never say that," he snickered and she lightly pinched the skin on the back of his hand. He shouted in pain and she crossed her amrs.

"If you're only going to tease me like that then I won't comfort you anymore," she said and he chuckled.

"I only wanted to make sure you really were here," he said and grabbed her hand back in his. "I'm going to need more of you from now on and no running away."

"We'll see how you act first," she teased and he gently squeezed her hand. "But seriously, don't get overwhelmed and just do what you've been doing. Your father will be proud of you once he fully recovers."

"I know he will be, but what about you?" he asked as they were stopped at a red light and she was silent for a few long seconds.

"You know, I've always been proud of you," she said and that brought a warm feeling in his chest. Still stopped at the traffic light, Baekhyun turned to Mina and leaned forward to give her a quick peck on her cheek. Mina wasn't expecting it and flinched at the surprise kiss, looking at him with wide eyes.

"Don't let that overwhelm you," he teased again and went in for another surprise kiss, this time on the corner of her lips. She gasped and backed away, hitting her back against the closed door, covering with her hands.

"Don't worry, I won't count that as your first kiss," he snickered and the lights turned green. He drove off and said, "Gosh, I feel better now."

"Just focus on the road," she said with her heart beating rapidly and her body growing hot. Would that count as a first kiss? It wasn't directly on the lips, so it wouldn't right? Those were the thoughts that crossed her mind and she couldn't think properly throughout the drive home.