Chapter Twenty-Two

Teach Me What Love Is

Mina's POV~

We got to the aquarium and memories started to flood my mind. The only reason why I wanted to come to the aquarium was because I came once with Appa during his business trip here. Just standing outside of the building made my heart ache...seeing families happily enter the building and laugh with one another made my chest hurt. 

I missed those times...being happy with the person I claimed as family. 

I stood where I was when I felt a tiny hand grab mine. I jumped a bit, surprised, and looked down to see Hyeri looking up at me with an expressionless face. She's so much like me that it made me giggle. 

"Hey," I heard Baekhyun's voice from a distance and he came to us, waving the tickets. "I got the tickets, let's go and explore."

He was smiling and my chest seemed to have tightened even more. 

When I came, it was just Appa and I. My mother was home "doing work", but of course she was only doing her current husband. I wondered...would Appa have smiled like Baekhyun if he was with my mother and I if we went to the aquarium together? Would Appa have smiled to the woman who never loved him?

"Mina, what's wrong?" Baekhyun's voice entered my ears and I looked at him as he was frowning, worried. 

"Its nothing," I softly said and Baekhyun grabbed my hand, squeezing it. He wasn't dumb; he knew something was wrong. 

"Let's enjoy ourselves today, okay? I'm sure Hyeri is looking forward to this," he said with a gentle smile and I nodded.

We finally entered the aquarium and it was filled with noises everywhere and the smell of the ocean. There was nothing different from years ago; everything was still the same. 

Hyeri, being the shy girl that she is, stuck to me and looked at everything from a distance. Baekhyun, on the other hand, was everywhere acting like he was a child once again. He was amazed at everything he saw and couldn't shut his mouth. The only word I heard come out of his mouth was, "uwah~". 

I looked at the different exhibits with Hyeri in my arms when I saw a father giving his daughter a ride on his shoulders. His body build was just like Appa's and the little girl looked like my age when we came together. They looked happy together, even with the mother, they looked happy. Would my memories have been different if we came together as a "family"? Would we have been happy like that too? We were once...right?

Seeing them like that made my chest hurt once again, but I just smiled at them, envious. 

"Hey, let's go down to the underwater walkway!" Baekhyun said happily and literally skipped to the escalators. "Mina~! Hurry!"

How embarrassing. I hid my face behind Hyeri's back and slowly made our way to Baekhyun, but he was already gone by the time we got to where he should've been. 

We went down on the escalator and found Baekhyun taking photos of the fishes and excitedly waiting for us at the entrance of the tunnel. It made me wonder if we really came for us or himself? At least one of us was enjoying it, right?

Hyeri and I went to to Baekhyun when I suddenly had to use the bathroom. I mean, I had to use it earlier, but I held it in which was not a good idea. 

"I gotta go to the restroom, watch Hyeri," I said and put her down, but she was being clinging and refused to go to Baekhyun. 

"I'm not going to bite you," Baekhyun snickered but that didn't make it any better. 

"Hyeri, Baekhyun is a nice guy, he's your uncle. Try to get along with him," I tried to persuade her. "And I really have to go. I'll buy you ice cream on the way back home, okay?"

She pouted and slowly stepped to Baekhyun with arms crossed. I backed away and looked at Baekhyun. 

"You guys go on ahead without me. I'll catch up," I said. 

"We can wait you know," he said and I shook my head. 

"I don't want to hold you back after seeing how excited you were," I said and gave them a quick wave before running off. I honestly felt my bladder bursting and finally reached the bathroom. 

I felt so relieved after letting it all out and washed my hands when I overheard a mother and daughter talking as they left the restroom after washing their hands. 

"Umma! That was fun! Let's come again! Next time with appa!" the little girl exclaimed. 

"Yep! We'll come with appa next time and make sure we have even more fun," the mother smiled, and I turned off the faucet once they were gone. I was left alone in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. 

If it was just me and my mother who came here, would we have been like that too? Holding hands? Smiling to one another? Talking? 

If we were like that, would our relationship have been better? No. I wouldn't want a relationship with the woman who betrayed my father and ruined my family. 

I walked out of the bathroom with a sigh and went to find Baekhyun and Hyeri. I'm sure they were deep in the tunnel, but I didn't mind just having some alone time...even if it was lonely. 

I entered the tunnel and looked at all the different fishes. It was extremely calming to be here; I felt at ease. As if I could free my thoughts here. 

I went deeper in when I saw Appa's favorite shark. I recognized it because of its broken fun; Appa liked him because he was different and unique. 

I remember him giving me a ride on his shoulders to see the shark up close as it swam above us. The shark was quite pitiful as it looked lonely swimming by itself back then; even now it looked pitiful. No other shark was around it like it didn't exist, the fishes didn't care too much about it either. But who am I say to that? They're just fishes...they only know how to swim; they just keep swimming as if there was nothing to worry about.  Even this unique shark didn't look bothered; he just swam. 

I sighed and placed my hand on the glass. How nice would that be? To have no worries in my life and to just keep on going? How nice would it be to drown my thoughts in the sea? 

"Appa~!"

My heart sunk at the word and a lump formed in my throat. 

Appa...I miss you. 

I closed my eyes for a few seconds to hold in the tears, then opened them looking around me. I saw how many families were here, enjoying themselves and I felt out of place. Like I didn't belong here. 

My chest felt heavy...it's been awhile since I've been alone like this...I didn't like it. I've never felt so lonely. 

"Baekhyun," I found myself calling his name. I felt stupid. He wouldn't hear me. "Baekhyun."

I wrapped my arms around my body, hugging myself and walked on. I avoided looking at all these people, I just wanted to get out. I couldn't take it anymore because I knew I'd break down any minute now looking at all these...

"Mina."

...families. 

I froze in my place and just stared at Baekhyun as he approached me with Hyeri. 

"Mina," he said my name a second time and hugged me. "We waited thinking you'd come out any second, but you never did. I got worried thinking you were lost or something."

I didn't say anything and felt my chest burst in pain. I hugged Baekhyun back and buried my face in his chest. 

"Mina?" he asked. 

"Let's go back. It's kind of late and I'm exhausted," I muffled against his chest and he agreed. 

Baekhyun's POV~

We got back to noona's house and had our dinner there. Not once did Mina talk or even look at me; she barely interacted with my family. 

Something was going through her head and I knew that. She was remembering the past; it must've been her father again. She's only like that when she remembers her father. That must've been the reason why she chose the aquarium because there were memories there. 

How I see it though is that she hasn't properly grieved over his death. He was all she had in her life; he was her only family other than the woman who birthed her. He was her world and that world shattered when he left her. I can't imagine going through what she's been through and yet, here she is, still moving on with life. She's a strong woman, yet so vulnerable. 

After dinner, she quietly escaped to the bedroom and I followed behind. She laid on the bed with Bacon cuddled up against her, her back faced to me. 

"Mina?" I quietly said her name and she hummed in response. "Let's take Bacon out for a quick walk."

She stayed quiet. 

"I'll buy you beer," I said and she was off the bed in seconds. She grabbed her favorite sweater and we both left the house with Bacon. 

We walked side by side in the dark with the street lights guiding our path. She had her hood over her head, so I wasn't able to clearly see her face. 

"Why don't we stop at the park over there. You can sit there while I buy us a few drinks," I said and she nodded. I watched her walk to the park and I went to a nearby store to buy a six-pack. 

Once I paid, I ran back to Mina. She stayed put at a bench with Bacon running around on his leash. I took out a cold beer and slowly moved up to Mina, startling her by placing the beer against her neck. 

"What the hell?" she jumped and glared at me. I laughed and hopped over the bench to sit next to her. "Geez, grow up a bit."

"Ah, c'mon, you know you love this side of me," I chuckled and she rolled her eyes, opening the beer. She chugged down the beer within seconds and let out a long sigh. 

"Damn, I needed that," she smiled and I looked at her, amazed. "It would've been better with that friend chicken though."

I snickered and shook my head, "You always seem to amuse me."

She was silent and leaned back to look up at the night sky, opening a second beer. I opened up a can myself and took a sip before leaning back along with her. 

"How is it that although we're under the same sky, it looks completely different from the one at home?" she wondered after seeing all the stars and taking a sip of her drink. 

"Its because we live in a city that illuminates the sky, hiding the beauty of the stars," I replied. 

"That's really sad," she softly said. 

"Yeah, it is," I said in response and it went quiet with the chittering of bugs. I took another sip of my beer and turned to Mina. She had her eyes up at the sky; her expression was filled with pain. 

I let out a long sigh and leaned forward, placing my elbows on my knees. 

"Mina," I said her name and she hummed in response. "Do you miss him?"

Mina's POV~

My heart stopped for a second and I looked down at Baekhyun. 

"What?" I asked and he glanced at me. 

"Your father...do you miss him?" he asked and I felt my chest tighten.

Why? Why is he asking me this all of a sudden?

"Of course I do," I quietly answered and chugged the rest of my drink before I looked down to my lap. "Everyday."

"What was he like?" he asked and I swallowed hard. 

"Why do you want to know?" I asked and he shrugged. 

"I should at least get to know the father of my soon to be bride, right?" he questioned and I quietly snorted. 

"There's no point telling you about a dead man," I whispered with a jab to my heart. 

"That doesn't matter to me," he said and straightened himself up. "He's a man I've respected growing up; a great man, if you ask me. I want to know, what is it that makes him so likeable?"

I bit my bottom lip and hadn't realized how much Baekhyun really admired my father, but of course it was only through the business perspective. 

"I would've asked your mother, but I know you have better things to say about him than she does," he continued and I looked at him as he gave me a curious expression. "What is it that makes him so great?"

"In terms of business, he was always working hard," I quietly answered. "He worked hard for his dream while still having his family in mind. He stayed up countless nights to get his work done beforehand so he wouldn't trouble others. But even still, no matter how tired he was, he always came home to give me goodnight kisses. He had multiple hospital visits due to lack of sleep and nutrition, but he continued to smile through it all like he was fine; he just didn't want to worry us."

The memories filled my thoughts and my emotions filled my heart. I remembered all those times...I can never forget them. 

"My father," I continued. "There were even times when I've caught my father crying in his office because it was just so hard and stressful, but he was a strong man. He pulled through because he had to provide for his family. He wanted to give us hope because he believed that was his job as a husband and as a father. Appa never gave up on us...."

I gave a faint smile at remembering how great my father really was, always putting us before him. Working hard for us. Making sure our well-being was well. Making sure we were loved and happy. He never gave up on us...he never gave up on me. 

I felt a tear roll down my cheeks and I quickly wiped it away, sniffling a bit. 

"I'm sorry," I said and looked to Baekhyun. "I rambled off to something that wasn't related to business."

Baekhyun gave me a faint smile and shook his head. 

"Its okay, Mina," he said. "Keep going. I'd like to hear more about him that doesn't have to do with business."

I swallowed hard and looked up to the sky. 

"Appa was filled with lots of love," I continued and felt my eyes burn, trying to hold my tears back. "He was always smiling too...I loved his smile. I loved his laugh; it always brought me joy and I always felt content hearing him laugh."

Just remembering his smile and laugh made me smile. 

"Not only that, but I loved his jokes too, even if they weren't funny," I giggled at the memories. 

"What's your favorite memory of him?" Baekhyun asked and I couldn't pick one; there was just too many to choose from. 

"I can't choose because every moment I've had with him are my favorite; they're precious to me," I answered. "Playing catch to riding our bikes around the neighborhood; cooking together to making up bedtime stories...these sorts of memories are my favorite."

A sudden memory came to my mind and I let the tears flow out. 

"Even when my father was laying on his hospital bed, pale and weak...," I said with my voice breaking. "...was one of my favorites because that was the last time I saw him smile and shed a tear, telling me how much he loved me...telling me to keep on smiling and to be happy...."

I was now sobbing and hung my head low, covering my face with my hands. I felt my tears flood the palm of my hands as I cried. 

"I...I couldn't do it though," I continued to cry. "I can't be happy...I just can't because I have no reason to be happy. I've done so many bad things in my life that I can't be happy!"

"Mina," I heard Baekhyun's voice over my loud cry and I felt his arms wrap around my body, holding me close. 

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. "Appa, I'm so sorry."

I cried and wrapped my arms around Baekhyun, clenching onto his shirt, pulling him closer. 

"What do I do? I miss him, Baekhyun...I miss him," I cried my eyes out. "I miss him so much."

Baekhyun didn't say a single word and continued to hug me close. I didn't want him to talk anyways, I liked how it was now. Just crying like this was enough because there was someone to listen to me cry. I wasn't alone holding my body to comfort myself...I had someone with me and that was enough. 

I don't know how long we were out there for, but I was able to calm down for what seemed like forever, honestly. I was still sniffing, but there were no more tears I could shed. I also didn't pull away, I continued to grip onto the back of Baekhyun's shirt and hid my face in his damp shirt with my eyes closed, exhausted. 

Baekhyun still held me in his arms and I knew he wasn't going to let go unless I did first. 

"Mina," he whispered my name against my ear and I felt a sense of relief hearing his voice. "Let's go home first thing in the morning."

I slowly opened my eyes and pulled away, looking up at him. He leaned forward and rested his forehead on mine. 

"Let's go home," he said and I slowly nodded, sniffling. Truthfully, I missed home. 

He stood up from the bench and reached his hand out. I looked at it and was hesitant, but voluntarily I placed my hand in his, standing up myself with Bacon at my feet. 

"Let's get you some rest at noona's place for the night. I'll pack our things and call Sejong in the morning to cancel our plans," he said and I had forgotten that we had made plans to hang out with her, her fiance and the twins. 

"But-"

"She'll understand," he gently smiled and squeezed my hand. "Besides, we'll meet her at her wedding. Right now, getting you back home is more important."

I bit the corner of my lip and nodded. 

"Let's go," he said and we began walking back. 

Halfway to Haerin's house, he suddenly stopped walking, making me bump into his back. 

I looked up at him and asked, "What's wrong?"

He looked down at me and smiled, "I love you."

I felt my heart thump as he stared affectionately into my eyes and he raised his free hand up to caress my cheek. 

"No matter how much you may hate me, I'm going to keep reminding you that I love you because you deserve to hear it," he said in a low voice that made my heart race and I turned away. 

"Let's hurry back, I'm really tired," I said and walked away, pulling him and Bacon behind me. 

My footsteps were lighter than usual and my heart was no longer carrying a heavy pressure...what was the meaning of this? 

Baekhyun's POV~

Early in the morning, I made breakfast alone while everyone else was still sleeping. It was my way of saying thanks to my cousin and her family for hosting us. 

I'm not an expert at making fancy dishes, so I made scrambled eggs, mini sausages and toast; that's my definition of a fancy breakfast. 

I was finishing up by making scrambled eggs last when I heard footsteps. I looked over my shoulders to see Hyeri entering the kitchen while rubbing her eyes with a yawn. 

"Good morning, Hyeri," I smiled and she looked at me with an expressionless face. "You must still be trying to wake up, huh?"

She completely ignored me and turned around, walking away. I let out a defeated chuckle and resumed to my cooking when someone else entered the kitchen. 

"My, you sure are awake early," I heard my cousin's voice and I looked over my shoulder to greet her. 

"Well, good morning to you too, noona," I snickered and she smiled. 

"Morning," she said and helped set up the table. "Is Mina still sleeping?"

"Yeah, she's still knocked out," I said and placed my scrambled eggs neatly onto a plate. 

"I'd assume so considering how late you two came home last night," she giggled and I smiled. 

"Sorry, I hope we didn't wake you guys up," I said and she shook her head, saying it was fine. I poured orange juice into glass cups and placed them next to each person's plate. Soon enough, everyone was awake. 

Well, except Mina. I'm sure she was awake though, just hiding in the bedroom. I could already imagine how swollen her eyes were from crying last night, so it was best for her to stay hidden. 

"Baekhyun-ah, why don't you have Mina join us," my mother said and I shook my head. 

"Actually, I was going to make her have breakfast in bed," I said, thinking of that idea at the last minute. 

"Ouu~ breakfast in bed! How romantic," Noona giggled and I felt my face flush. "You're definitely a keeper!"

"Why do you always say embarrassing stuff," I mumbled and grabbed a silver tray from the cabinet. I placed Mina's share of food on it and excused myself from the family to see Mina. 

Once I got to the bedroom, I used my feet to knock on the door. 

"Mina, it's me. Open up, my hands are full right now," I said and within seconds, the door slowly opened and she popped her head out. As expected, her eyes were completely red and swollen. 

She saw the tray of food and asked, "What's this?"

"Isn't it obvious? It's your breakfast," I snickered and entered the room, using my feet to close the door shut. 

There was a tiny desk at the corner of the room, so I set the tray there and had Mina sit down to enjoy her breakfast. I'm sure she wanted to have breakfast alone, so I started heading to the door when she asked, "Where are you going?"

I turned and simply answered, "To join my family for breakfast."

Her expression almost looked sad and she softly said, "Oh."

Don't tell me...she was expecting me to eat with her?

"Well then, go ahead and enjoy breakfast with them," she said and turned her back to me. I grinned and stepped out of the room, heading into the kitchen. 

"Why are you out here?" my mother asked as if I shouldn't be out there. 

"I forgot to grab my own plate of food. I have to feed myself too, you know," I pouted and quickly left once I had a plate in one hand and a glass of juice on the other. 

I returned to the bedroom and somehow managed to open the door, entering. 

Mina looked over her shoulders and seemed surprised to see me return. 

"I thought you were having breakfast with your family?" she asked as I joined her at the table. 

"You are family," I smiled widely, and she slightly widened her eyes with her cheeks puffed out. "Mina, not only are you going to be my wife, you are going to also be a part of my family."

It seemed as if time had frozen. Doesn't her eyes feel dry by staring at me for that long?

"C'mon, let's eat. I'm starving and I want to get home quickly," I said and I began to dig in. For some reason, this morning seemed to be a bit brighter than normal; somewhat happier. I liked it. 

After breakfast, I joined my family out in the kitchen to clean up while Mina got herself ready to head back. I told them that we were leaving early and although they were sad, they understood that we needed to head back home. I've called Sejong too to apologize for the cancelled plans and she didn't mind it at all. She was always the understanding type. 

I packed my car with our luggage and with Bacon in his carrier in the back seat. Mina came out with a pair of sunglasses to cover her eyes and we both bid our goodbyes to my family; my mother was going to spend another few days here with Haerin. 

"Please do come again," Haerin said to Mina."We enjoyed our time with you, especially Hyeri."

"Yeah, I enjoyed myself here too," Mina said with a soft smile. 

"I'm sure by then our second child will be born," Haerin's husband chuckled. 

"Then we'll look forward to meeting him too," I said and I looked down to Hyeri. "Goodbye, Mina and I will come back to visit you."

She gave me a blank stare and I sighed, knowing I was expecting too much from her. I turned to Mina and gave her a signal to go. 

"Bye guys," I said and we walked to the car when I heard Hyeri call out, "Promise to come again with unnie!"

I widened my eyes, shocked, and looked back to her. She gave me the sweetest smile and I couldn't help, but smile back. 

"I promise!" I shouted back and we waved to each other before we entered the car. 

"You two seemed to have gotten close when I was gone at the aquarium," Mina said and adjusted her sunglasses. 

"I guess so," I smiled, but honestly, Hyeri wouldn't even pay any attention to me when we were alone at the aquarium. I guess I just got lucky. 

I gave one last wave to the family and drove off, heading back home. I the radio, listening to music since I think was going to be a long way back home. 

"Baekhyun," Mina said and I gave her a quick look. 

"What's up?" I asked, focusing back to the road. 

"Thank you," she said and I felt my chest burst. I smiled and decided to a bit. 

"I hope that 'thank you' was for saving you back at the hotel where we first met," I snickered and she snorted. 

"You still remember that? That was months ago," she said and I smiled. 

"Of course I'd remember," I said. "You and those two strangers were being disruptive out in the hallway."

"It wasn't my fault," she muttered. 

"But I'm glad I stepped in cause I wouldn't want some random guy to take away my woman," I said and she scoffed.

"Even still, I can't believe you remember our first meeting," she said and I let out a sigh. 

"Mina," I softly said her name. "Every moment I've had with you are precious memories to me. I can never forget them."

She was silent, but she was listening. 

"I even remember when you slapped me across the face on our second meeting," I lightly laughed. "You know, I never got a sorry for that."

"You deserved it for trying to seduce me," she retorted, annoyed. "You don't need my sorry."

"You're so stubborn," I snickered and looked at her. "And here I am, falling harder for you."

I saw her face redden and I smiled, satisfied. 

"I love you, Mina," I said and she looked at me with soft eyes before turning away, embarrassed. 

I knew there was a change happening between Mina and I...there was also a change in the air. Fall was coming...the season where many fall in love.