Chapter Thirty Nine

Teach Me What Love Is

3rd Person POV~

 

Mr. Kim returned home after a long day of work. His mind was still occupied with Mina’s situation as well as is wife’s. 

 

He entered the bedroom and removed his tie before meeting eyes with his wife who had just entered the room. 

 

“Is everything going as planned?” she asked with an evil smirk. He groaned and threw his tie on the vanity chair. 

 

“You’re not going to welcome me back anymore?” he asked with an exhausted, yet irritated voice. 

 

“Oh come on, don’t get sulky,” she cooed as he moved towards him seductively. “You know I’m happy to see you back home.”

 

“Of course you are, if you lose your puppet, you’d be quite devastated,” he retorted and she grew angry. 

 

“My, my, what a tone you’re giving me,” she muttered. “Quite the attitude.”

 

Mr. Kim sighed once again and shooed off his wife, “I’m exhausted. Let me rest.”

 

She felt the heat within her chest rise, but she held it in. 

 

“You are following my orders, right?” she questioned with suspicion. He took of his blazer and neatly set it on the chair. 

 

“Mr. Byun will return home and will regain his health. They will no longer suspect me and that will be the end of this,” he said, looking directly into her eyes. 

 

She knew exactly what he meant and she did not like it. This was his way of saying, he was done being an accomplice and she would be doing this on her own. 

 

She clenched her fists and jaw, glaring at him. 

 

“After all that I’ve done for you, you’re betraying me now?” she sternly spoke. “Are you out of you mind?!”

 

“No, dear. You’re the one losing your mind,” he said, taking a step towards her. “You’re only doing this to keep your position, but you and I know you didn’t deserve it. It wasn’t meant for you, but Mina-“

 

“Shut up!!” she shouted with rage. “Don’t you dare speak of that child!”

 

Silence fell upon them. She heavily breathed as Mr. Kim stared at his wife in disappointment. 

 

“If you wish to continue with your plan, then by all means do so. I will no longer take part in it,” he calmly said and made his way to the exit. But, stopping at the door, he looked over his shoulder and said, “She will take everything that is rightfully hers.”

 

And with that, he shut the bedroom door and she dropped to her knees, screaming. 

 

*****

 

It’s been three days and Mr. Byun was finally being released from the hospital. His wife, daughter, and Mina were all there to see him. Baekhyun had heard the news, but unfortunately, was still handling business in Japan. But he sent a gift to his father to congratulate him on his recovery. 

 

“Appa!” Seolhyun shouted with a bright smile. Mr. Byun walked out with Mr. Kim and a nurse. The three ladies went up to him, happy for his recovery. 

 

Seolhyun hugged her father as he returned the hug. 

 

“I’m so happy to see you finally out!” she said, resting her head on his shoulder. 

 

“Me too, Seolhyun,” Mr. Byun smiled and gave a hug to his wife, followed by Mina. As the family had their reunion, Mina glanced over to Mr. Kim, who also looked over at her direction. 

 

He smiled to her and she swallowed hard before moving towards him. In her hand was a fruit basket. 

 

“Mr. Kim,” she quietly said, uncomfortable calling his surname. He was still smiling as he watched her awkward demeanor. She held up the basket with both hands and continued, “This is for you.”

 

Surprised, yet touched, he received the gift. 

 

“You didn’t have to,” he kindly said. “Thank you, Mina.”

 

She swallowed hard and gave a deep bow. 

 

“T-thank you...for saving him,” she said, feeling tears well up in her eyes. He felt his chest tighten, but he continued to force a smile. 

 

“Lift your head,” he said and she did. “Mina...this is the least I could do for you. I’m sorry.”

 

“Why? Why do you keep saying sorry?” she wondered and he looked out towards the Byun family, who was watching the two. 

 

“You’ll find out soon enough,” he said and looked back down to Mina. Before she could react, he placed a hand on her head and said, “Live happily from now on. Do whatever your heart desires. One day, you’ll be free from all of this.”

 

Hearing that, the tears that had fought to be freed had finally slipped. 

 

“This is the last advice I can give you as a father, even if you never saw me as one,” he quietly said and removed his hand from her head. And just like that, he walked away with his gift in his arms. 

 

She watched him disappear behind the glass doors and she wiped her tears before the Byun family could see. 

 

Seolhyun has walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. 

 

“Everything okay?” she asked, concerned. 

 

“Ah, yeah, yeah, everything’s good,” Mina smiled and followed Seolhyun to her parents. 

 

“Everything is going to be good now,” she whispered as she looked up at the clear blue sky. 

 

Mina’s POV~

 

It’s been a few days since Mr. Byun was discharged and it’s been over a week since Baekhyun left for Japan. He used to call me every hour and ask how I’m doing. He’d ask about his family and Bacon. He’d wonder if I miss him yet and I’d tell him “no”. But, the past few days, he’s been calling less and taking longer to respond to my messages. 

 

“He said he’d be back in a week...,” I wondered as I stared at the last message I sent him, which was sent last night. He hasn’t read it either. “It’s already been over a week. I hope everything alright.”

 

I still had Bacon to keep me company, but that didn’t help, I could feel his absence. 

 

Bacon snuggled up against my legs as I sat on the couch, wondering what I should do today. I already went to visit the Byun family earlier this afternoon and had lunch with them. I could hang out with Seolhyun, but she’s been preparing for her exams. There is Junior, but he’s been busy with his family’s restaurant, so he can’t hang out with me either. 

 

Not to mention, it was getting colder by the day. It could snow any time now. 

 

I looked at my phone again and it’s been hours since I last messaged Baekhyun. I seemed like the clingy one right now, but he hasn’t seen my message at all. 

 

I held the phone tight between my hands and sighed, lowering my head. I’ve never been away from him this long...I missed him. How weird does that sound...me missing him? 

 

“What should I do, Bacon,” I said as he perked his head up. “I really miss him.”

 

Bacon whimpered a little and cuddled up closer to me. 

 

“You miss him too, don’t you?” I asked and petted his head. “Do you think he’s doing okay?”

 

Bacon wagged his tail from me petting him. I smiled and picked him up, pulling him close to me. I hugged him as he my face. 

 

“It’s lonely,” I whispered. “God, I hate this.”

 

I heavily sighed and got off the couch with Bacon still in my arms. 

 

“Let’s not get depressed over this and go out for a walk. Maybe the cool air will help me,” I said and set Bacon down to put on his leash. I grabbed a parka and slipped in it before heading out. 

 

Walking down our neighborhood, I noticed there were less people out. But that was understandable with winter hitting us soon. Bacon trotted in front of me, smelling every little thing he could as we continued our walk. 

 

We stopped at a park and I let Bacon off his leash so he could run freely. He was well trained not to leave my sight...well, more like I wouldn’t leave his sight. 

 

I sat on a bench and watched him run through the field, roll in the dirt, and yap away in happiness. But, I still couldn’t lift the heavy weight in my chest. 

 

I looked up at the sky, which was growing dark, and closed my eyes. It was nice to be out and enjoy some fresh air, I liked this. Just then, I felt something wet hit my cheek and it disappeared. I opened my eyes and sure enough, snow was slowly starting to fall. It looked graceful. 

 

I held my hand out and watched the snow land, then dissolve into water. Was it snowing where Baekhyun is right now?

 

I pulled out my phone and took a photo of Bacon chasing every snowflake he saw. I chuckled at the photo and sent it to Baekhyun. 

 

Bacon and I were tired of being cooped up indoors, so we went on a walk and stopped by the park near our apartment. It started snowing here and Bacon seems to be enjoying it. It is his first time seeing snow after all lol...has is it started snowing there?

 

I sent him a text along with the photo. I wasn’t expecting a reply, so I held onto my phone and placed my hands in my lap as I watched Bacon frolic in the field. 

 

I don’t know how long I was out, but it was starting to get really cold. I called Bacon over and stood up from the bench when I heard a ding. My heart raced and I quickly pulled out my phone to see that Baekhyun had replied! It was a photo!

 

I opened it and saw that it was a photo of my back, wearing the exact same parka I’m wearing right now, and Bacon running towards. My heart continued to race and the photo could only mean one thing. 

 

I turned around and sure enough, there stood the man I’ve been waiting to see with a bouquet of flowers in his arms. 

 

“Baekhyun...,” I whispered his name, not believing my eyes. But, reality hit me and I had tears fill my eyes as I smiled. “Baekhyun!”

 

He smiled and I ran to him. He opened his arms wide and I ran straight into his embrace, hugging him as tight as I could. 

 

His low chuckle resonated in my ears as he wrapped his arms around my waist. 

 

“What took you so long to come back, idiot?” I muffled in his chest. 

 

“There was some issues I had to deal with, so I’ve been really busy,” he answered. “I’m sorry.”

 

“You should be, you don’t know how long I waited for you,” I said and sniffled. “I missed you...I missed you so much.”

 

I could hear another light chuckle and he kissed the top of my head. 

 

“I missed you a lot too, Mina,” he said and pulled away from the hug, looking down at me. “You don’t know how much I wanted to see you, to hear your voice, to touch you, and whatnot. I had it hard too.”

 

I looked up at him with tears rolling down my face and sniffled. He wiped my tears with his hand and leaned his forehead against mine with a smile. 

 

“I can’t believe you’re crying because you missed me,” he teased. I glared up at him. 

 

“This isn’t the time to be teasing me,” I said pulling away. 

 

“I know, but you’re just so cute right now,” he lightly laughed. “How are you going to last when I go on business trips that could last for weeks and even months?”

 

“Just take me with you then,” I said and laid my head against his chest. I could hear his heart beating just as fast as mine. “I won’t bother you when you work.”

 

He tightened his grip around my waist, pulling me close to his body. 

 

“I don’t think I’d be able to focus then,” he said and I giggled. “By the way, you’re cold. How long have you been out here?”

 

“I don’t even know myself,” I answered and looked back up to him as we just gazed into each other’s eyes. “But I think I’ve warmed up quite a bit now.”

 

He snickered and dropped the bouquet to the ground, holding me with both arms now. 

 

“Hmm, I don’t know. You’re still cold, so I’ll warm you up even more,” he whispered in a deep, seductive voice and before I could say anything, he covered my lips with his. I don’t think I could ever get used to this nice feeling. 

 

I moved my hands from his back, up his chest, and around his neck, pulling him close as we shared a passionate kiss. I ran my fingers through his hair as he caressed my back, but with my thick parka, I couldn’t really feel him. What a shame. 

 

I don’t even know how long we kissed for, but I didn’t want to stop. I don’t think he did too, but we both eventually pulled away from one another and looked at each other’s flushed faces. I regained my senses and buried my face in his chest out of embarrassment. 

 

“Should we go home?” he asked and I nodded, daring not to look at him right now. “Should we continue when we get home?”

 

I gasped and looked up at him with wide eyes. He can’t be serious. 

 

But, he laughed and caressed my cheek with his fingers. 

 

“I’m just kidding. First thing I’m having you do is take a nice, warm bath so you don’t get sick,” he said, worried about my health. I had to admit that I was getting a little light headed from the cold. 

 

He smiled and kissed me one last time before picking up the bouquet and handing it to me. 

 

“For you,” he said and I smiled, taking it from his hand. 

 

“Thank you,” I said, smelling the flowers, and he held my hand, interlacing our fingers. He smiled down at me, then his attention was on something else. 

 

“Oh!! Hi Bacon! I didn’t see you there!” he said with a bright smile and bent down petting him. I looked at the two and giggled in disbelief. How could you only be seeing Bacon now? He was literally with us the whole time. Thank goodness, he’s a dog though. Just imagine if he was a person and had watched us kissing this whole time. How embarrassing would that be!

 

“You’re cold too,” Baekhyun said, concerned and picked him up in his arms, still holding my hand. “Let’s all go home and take a nice bath.”

 

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes as we began to walk. 

 

“We’re not taking it all together, are we?” I asked and he laughed. 

 

“That wasn’t my intention, but we could,” he playfully smirked and I lightly punched his arm. “Ohh~ there’s the Mina I know!”

 

“Stop teasing me!” I laughed and tried to break away from his grip, but he held on tighter. 

 

Is this what is feels to be truly happy? If it is, then I believe it’s safe to say, I’m happy. 

 

Baekhyun’s POV~

 

Back at the apartment, Mina went straight to take a shower; she did look a little unwell. Maybe I got a little too impatient and we stayed out longer than I had hoped for. I’ll take full responsibility if she is sick. 

 

I had Secretary Moon bring in my luggage beforehand, so I decided to unpack in the meantime. I threw worn clothes in the hamper and hung up my clean clothes. The souvenirs I brought back, I kept in a separate pile. Most of the stuff I bought were for Mina anyways. 

 

I heard the bedroom door open and walked in Mina. Her hair was wet and she was in her pajamas; she really didn’t look too good. I felt bad. 

 

It was the first snow of the season, our first kiss since I returned to Korea, and now her first sickness. Damn, Baekhyun, put things into consideration first. 

 

I stood up and grabbed the towel from her hand. I placed it over her head and somewhat dried her hair. 

 

“You don’t look too good, let’s use the hair dryer to dry your hair,” I said, concerned. “You’ll have to take some medicine too since you’re burning up.”

 

She looked up at me and suddenly hugged me. Why was she acting so sweet? But, I’m not going to complain. 

 

“I’m not going anywhere,” I chuckled and hugged her back. “But we need to fully dry your hair and give you medication. What would I do if you got sick?”

 

“Take care of me,” she pouted. Was this really Mina? Did the sickness get to her? 

 

I eventually got her to dry her hair and take a few pills before forcing her to get in bed. I then took a shower and joined her shortly after. 

 

I held her in my arms as we laid in bed. This was nice...I’ve missed this. I hope I don’t have to go anywhere soon because I think I’d go mad without being near her. Then again, she did offer to tag along, but that wouldn’t be fair. 

 

I breathed in her sweet scent and felt relaxed. These past few days really have been stressful, but everything was going to be okay now, that I can at least hope so. 

 

“Baekhyun?” Mina quietly said my name. 

 

“Mmm?” I responded. 

 

“How is everything in Japan? You told me that there were fund issues, right? Did you find out who was behind it? Was it my mother? Did you get it resolved?” she asked these questions all at once. Although I didn’t want to think about work, I chuckled at her eagerness and couldn’t help, but find it cute. 

 

“We weren’t able to find out who was behind it all, but we did get it situated,” I answered. “Fortunately, I was able to find some Japanese supporters who were willing to become allies with me, so with their help the funds exceeded our needs. I can only hope no more issues come up and that your mother stays out of it. She’s the last person I want handling this.”

 

“I agree, but I’m worried,” she said and it hurt to see her so worried about my situation. I hugged her tighter. 

 

“Everything will be alright,” I assured her and kissed her forehead. She looked up at me and pecked my lips. She quickly turned away and we went off into a blissful slumber. 

 

*****

 

Days have gone by since my return to Korea. Mina did end up getting sick, but she was finally starting to be herself again. A bit too much of herself. 

 

“Yah! Byun Baekhyun! Didn’t I tell you not to add instant ramen soup base into my kimchi jjigae?!” I heard her shout from the kitchen as I was hiding in the bedroom. “Now it tastes too artificial!”

 

I don’t understand why she hates ramen soup base anyways, it tastes delicious with everything. But, I’m not gonna tell her that. 

 

Just then, she walked in with a frown and arms crossed. I cleared my throat and straightened my back.  

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. It must be your taste buds,” I defended, but she obviously didn’t buy it. 

 

“Your parents are coming over to see you for the first time since you’ve arrived and I’m not going to serve them that, especially when your father has to watch what he eats,” she said with a pouty frown. “I might as well serve them ramen.”

 

Damn, why does she have to look so adorable when she’s upset?

 

“Fine, I did do it,” I said and walked towards her, but she held her hand out to stop me from going near her. 

 

“You will eat all of that jjigae for the next few days. I will make a new batch,” she said and walked away. I watched her leave in disbelief. How is she going to expect me to eat all of that in a few days? Does that mean she’s feeding me nothing else but jjigae?!

 

I eventually joined her in the kitchen and hugged her from behind. She wiggled to break free. 

 

“I’m sorry okay, I didn’t mean to do it on purpose,” I apologized with a whiny tone. “I’ll help you make the new batch.”

 

“Nope, you will stay out of the kitchen and sit over there like a good boy,” she said, pointing to the couch in the living room. 

 

“Awwh~ but I wanna be with you. Can’t I just-“

 

“Go,” she sternly said and I let her go with a pout. 

 

“I want my sweet Mina back. The one who hugged me so tight that she wouldn’t let me go. The one who kissed me so passionately-“

 

“Should I have you sit outside instead?” she glared at me and I groaned. 

 

“Fine, fine. I’ll shut up,” I muttered and trudged to the couch. I didn’t bother to sit down, I literally flipped down and stared at the blank TV screen. Can’t she love me as much as she loves cooking, or even just a little bit? 

 

Soon enough, Mina was done cooking dinner and I had changed from loungewear into something more casual as Mina did too. I helped Mina set up the table as my parents were only a block away from our place. 

 

I set the last plate of food on the table and Mina stretched her arm out to me. I looked at her closed fist then to her, confused. I ended up fist bumping her cause I mean, what else could it be. 

 

“No, you idiot, open your hand,” she said and I did so. She then opened hers and fell out a wrapped chocolate. 

 

“I’m sorry for yelling at you earlier,” she apologized and I looked at her in shock. She bit her lower lips and I smiled seeing her look embarrassed. 

 

“I’m used to it, but I’ll accept your apology,” I said and unwrapped the chocolate. It was a rectangular shape, so I lightly bit down on half of it and leaned towards her with the other half sticking out. 

 

“Will you also accept my apology? For being childish?” I asked her and she flushed red, turning away. I snickered and wrapped my arms around her waist before she could run off in hiding. 

 

“Yah, what are you-“

 

“Will you or will you not?” I asked again with the other half of the chocolate only less than an inch away from her lips. She furrowed her brows as I smirked, leaning closer. 

 

“I’m waiting,” I said in a low voice. She pressed her lips tightly together, then tilted her head. 

 

“You’re forgiven,” she whispered and bit off the other half, our lips touching, but I wasn’t going to let her escape just yet. I pressed my lips against hers and we kissed with the chocolate melting in our mouths. I wanted to eat her with the sweetness overflowing, but before I could even go any further, the bell rang. I didn’t want to stop, but Mina pushed hard against my chest as we both breathed out heavily. 

 

“That’s your parents, go let them in,” she said in a raspy voice. 

 

“They can wait-“

 

“No, go!” she demanded and I groaned. I let her go and walked over to the intercom, double checking if it was my parents. It was, but I thought I’d a bit. 

 

“It’s just the delivery guy, let’s finish where we started-“

 

“You’ll be sleeping outside tonight,” she said with crossed arms and I gasped, hurt. But, she wouldn’t really let me sleep outside, I’d be sleeping on the couch instead; not that I liked the idea anyways. 

 

I obeyed her and buzzed them, then looked at her lips. She caught me stare and covered . 

 

“Stop staring,” she frowned and I laughed. 

 

“No, sweetheart,” I said and pointed to the corner of my lip. “It’s just that you have chocolate on your mouth.”

 

She gasped and widened her eyes, running to the bathroom. 

 

“I can it off for you!” I shouted after her and she told me to shut up. I shrugged, “Just lost your chance.”

 

My parents knocked on the door shortly after and I let them in. I hugged my mother first, then my father. Mina came out not long after and greeted them. We led them to the table and sat down to have dinner. 

 

“I’m glad you arrived to Korea safe,” my father said with a smile. “I assume everything is taken care of for now?”

 

“Thank you, Father. And yes, I handled the situation well. I will continue to monitor the progress,” I said taking a spoonful of kimchi jjigae. “I’ve had Secretary Moon stay in contact with the Yamamoto’s to keep an eye on the site.”

 

My father nodded in approval and began to dig in himself. 

 

“My, Mina, your cooking always amazes me,” my mother proudly said eating the japchae.

 

“I did learn from the best,” Mina smiled brightly. “Ah, and I’ve tried that recipe you told me about the other day. It didn’t go as well as I thought, so I was thinking of having you teach me, if you don’t mind?”

 

“Of course not! I’d love to teach you whatever it is you want, it doesn’t even have to be food related,” my mother exclaimed and beamed at Mina with a motherly expression. Mina thanked her and tried to reach for the galbi, but it was too far from her. 

 

“By the way, Father, there are some thing’s I’d like to discuss in regards to the project,” I said as I used my chopsticks to grab the galbi and put it on top of Mina’s rice. I gave her a wink and turned to my father. “But, I think it’s best to discuss it in my office. Of course, I’ll put your health into consideration, although I’d like to go over it sooner.”

 

“Yes, I’ve been meaning to speak to you as well,” he said. He was a smart man and he knew I wanted to speak to him about Mrs. Kim. But it wasn’t something we could talk about at the dinner table and most definitely not around Mina. 

 

“Ah, how are you feeling now? I’m sorry Baekhyun and I haven’t gone to see you,” Mina said looking at my father, apologetic. 

 

He smiled and answered, “I’m feeling a lot better now. I’ve had check ups here and there, but they said I’m good as new!”

 

“I’m glad to hear that,” Mina smiled, relieved. “I bought some tea for you to drink. I heard it helps boost your immune system, so please take it with you before you leave.”

 

My parents looked at each other, then back at her as I did too. They smiled warmly. 

 

“Mina, we’re so happy to have you as our daughter-in-law,” my mother said. “You care for us so dearly. How did we get so lucky?”

 

I watched her as she slightly widened her eyes, then lowered her gaze with a faint smile. 

 

“I should be the one saying that,” she softly said and looked back up to them. “I didn’t think I’d be as happy as I am now. And I have to thank you for that.”

 

Hearing her say that made my heart feel relieved, yet uncertain. Was she happy? Did she mean it? She wasn’t trying to comfort my parents or even me, right? 

 

“It’s nice to be a part of a family for once,” she said and I knew that I didn’t have to doubt her at all. It was all written on her face and through her words that she was truly happy. 

 

I placed my hand over her thigh as she turned my way.

 

“Should we just get married now?” I asked and she blushed with wide eyes. My parents lightly laughed and she kicked me under the table, but with the position she was sitting in it wasn’t much of a kick. More like a tap. 

 

“You two do seem like a married couple that I forgot you’re engaged,” my mother giggled. “Now I really can’t wait to make you my daughter!”

 

“I agree,” my father chimed in. Mina was beat red, but she laughed along with them. 

 

Dinner felt like forever because we chatted more than we ate, but we managed to eat our fill. My mother and Mina were cleaning up in the kitchen as my father and I were in the living room with a platter of fruits in front of us. Bacon rested his head on my lap as I petted him with one hand and my other hand occupied with a strawberry. 

 

We talked about things unrelated to work as we waited for the ladies to finish up. It would go from talking about Japan, to the weather, to the current news, back to Japan, and so on. The ladies had their own chats in the dining room while sipping on their tea. 

 

I would look up every once in a while to get a glimpse of Mina, who was happily talking to my mother. It was nice to see the two getting along. I don’t think I would be able to take it if they didn’t like each other; same would go for Seolhyun and Mina. If anything, I was the lucky one to have Mina. 

 

Hours had gone by and it was getting really late. I looked at the clock, then heard wind gushing outside. I stood up from the couch and brushed the curtains to the side to see that it was snowing really bad out. My father followed behind and looked at the weather. 

 

“Will you and mother be able to get home safely?” I asked, looking behind me to him. 

 

“We should be able to, the roads don’t look to bad,” he said, squinting his eyes to look at the roads. There was too much snow that it was difficult to see the roads. I’d say it was a blizzard out there. 

 

“Should I have Secretary Moon pick you guys up?” I asked, leaning against the glass window. “He’d probably be a safer bet than you driving.”

 

“Is it that bad out there?” I heard Mina ask from the dining table. I looked at her and nodded. 

 

She and my mother stood up and approached the other window, surprised to see the condition outside. 

 

“Baekhyun, it’s not safe for them to go out in that kind of weather. You can barely see,” Mina said with a worried expression. 

 

“I’m sure we’d be fine,” my mother said, placing a hand on her shoulder, but Mina looked at me with a desperate look, telling me they shouldn’t go. I knew that all too well to not have them go. 

 

“How about you guys spend the night?” I offered as my parents exchanged looks. 

 

“We wouldn’t want to impose-“

 

“It’s fine,” Mina smiled. “It’s much safer here than out there. It wouldn’t sit well with me if I knew you guys were out there.”

 

My father sighed with a touched heart. He looked at me for a second approval and I nodded. 

 

“What kind of son would I be if I didn’t offer my home to my parents,” he smiled and stepped away from the window. “We’ll prepare our room for you.”

 

They tried to reject it, but we insisted. I entered the room and had Mina follow along. I closed the door and looked at her with a sad look. 

 

“What?” she asked without having to turn my way. “If you’re going to sulk about this then you can sleep at a hotel.”

 

“But tonight I was hoping-“

 

“Don’t go there,” she said glaring at me as she was removing our blanket from the bed. “We live together. We sleep in the same bed. We get plenty of time to ourselves. Stop being a baby and help me.”

 

I huffed out a sigh and went to the other side of the bed to help her. We removed our sheets and replaced it with new ones. We did the same for our pillow cases and fluffed the pillows. 

 

“It’s chilly in here, so we should use a thicker blanket,” she said walking to our storage closet. I helped her reach for the blanket and we laid it over the bed, completing it. 

 

We grabbed our own blankets to bring out to the living room and had offered my parents our clothes for them to sleep comfortably. 

 

“Will this really be alright? We can sleep in the living room,” my mother said, concerned. 

 

“How could I have my beautiful mom sleep on a couch,” I said and kissed the temple of her head. “You and dad sleep well.”

 

“Thank you,” she smiled and she gently closed the bedroom door. I looked behind me as Mina was laying out a thick duvet on the floor as our mattress. She then put pillows down and kicked the blanket around to sprawl it out. 

 

I walked up to her and hugged her, taking her by surprise. 

 

“What are you doing?!” she whispered loudly. 

 

“I just felt like hugging you,” I grinned and kissed her neck. I could hear her heart pounding. 

 

“Your parents are literally sleeping right in there, don’t do anything weird,” she said and punched my stomach. It wasn’t a hard punch, but enough to have me let her go and drop to the floor. “Be a good boy and keep your hands to yourself tonight.”

 

“Fine,” I whined and curled up on the duvet. “But let me at least hug you in my sleep.”

 

She frowned at me and I knew she was telling me to not touch her at all. I gave up and pulled the blanket over me, turning my back to her. 

 

She shut off the light and laid next to me, pulling the blanket up. It was dead silent in the room. 

 

“Are you really not going to let me hold you?” I whispered, but she gave no response. Is she really going to give me the silent treatment? 

 

It was still quiet, but then I heard her moving and the blanket rustling. 

 

“Hand,” she said. 

 

“Huh?” I asked confused. 

 

“We can at least hold hands,” she replied and I turned over to look at her. She was so close to me that I could’ve crushed her. I gave her my hand as she held mine in hers. We interlaced our fingers and that’s how we fell asleep.