Chapter Seventeen

Teach Me What Love Is

3rd Person POV~

"Umma...," a young Mina whispered a cry as she saw her mother kissing another man through the crack of her parent's bedroom door. "Umma."

Her mother glanced at the door and saw Mina, then returned to her intimate session. Mina's heart broke and tears silently fell from her eyes. This was a reality turned into a dream; a permanent memory turned to a nightmare. 

"If a single word slips out of your mouth to your father, I will crush you," her mother said to this young Mina in another dream. "You want to see your father happy, don't you?"

That's all Mina ever wanted. 

Seeing her father smile, laugh and play with Mina was all she needed to keep them both happy. In this dream, she and her father are playing happily together; kicking a soccer ball around, he chasing her and tickling her...but why is it that her heart is hurting so much? 

This young Mina is chasing after a ball her father threw and once she turns back to look at him, he's gone. She's all alone in what seems like an infinite field. 

"Appa," she whispered with the fear of being alone. She turns around and meets her mother with crossed arms and a stern expression. "Umma."

There was no response and her mother walked away from her. She chased after her mother, but the gap between them was only increasing. 

"Umma!" Young Mina cried and that's when the current Mina awoke from her nightmare. 

She was breathing heavily with cold sweats and tears flowing out. She was staring at a blurry ceiling and just cried. 

She hated these types of dreams that always seemed to reply itself every night. And like every night, she was alone to cry to herself; of course, she's never aware of the fact that Baekhyun is usually there to comfort her. 

Mina sat up in bed and pulled her knees close to her to hug. She sniffled and looked down at the empty floor...the empty space where Baekhyun usually sleeps. Her heart clenched and she dug her face in her hands when she felt something warm and furry brush against her arm. She looked up, startled, then down to see Bacon. 

He was cuddled up against her, looking up at her with almost a sad expression, an expression telling her he's with her and not to cry anymore. 

She exhaled through and petted Bacon with a forced smile. 

"I'm okay...I'll be okay," she could barely whisper to assure him, but mainly to herself. "It's not the first time...I'm gonna be fine."

Bacon whimpered a bit and climbed onto her, so she held him close. Being able to embrace him helped calm her down and to stop her tears. She looked at the time and it was a little past 1AM. She knew she wasn't going to be able to fall asleep again, so she got out of bed and grabbed her favorite jacket. Bacon followed her and she grabbed a leash, clipping it on his collar and they were out the door. 

The two started walking down the streets of the area in the middle of the night with no one present. It was just Mina and Bacon out. The summer night air was nice and refreshing; it felt even better as the two were alone together.

Mina walked for minutes then it turned to an hour and a half. As small as Bacon was, she had to carry him for the mean time as he was exhausted from the walk. Mina is used to walking for hours so she wasn't exhausted at all. 

She made her way to one end of the Hangang Bridge. She knew that on the other side of that bridge was the hotel she used to reside in and that Baekhyun was there. 

She was just standing there and staring at the long path of the bridge. She wanted to turn back and return to the apartment, but there was something telling her to keep walking. 

With hesitation, she stepped forward and slowly made her way down the bridge's sidewalk. It was going to be a long walk to get to the other side, but she didn't mind. She liked looking out at the river as she walked and the colorful lights that beamed out from the side of the bridge; it made her feel more at peace. 

"Bacon," she quietly said the dog's name. "Should we come out here more often?"

Of course there was no response and she gently scratched his side. 

"We'll come out without Baekhyun," she said and imagined a pouty Baekhyun. "He'd be jealous for sure, but he can't go out late at night cause he's gotta work early in the morning. If he loses sleep, he'll lose focus at work."

She let out a sigh at the thought of Baekhyun and asked, "Do you think he's sleeping well right now?"

Bacon looked up at her then laid his head back on her arm. 

"You think so, right?" she said and let out another sigh. "I'm quite envious of him to be able to sleep so peacefully. He doesn't have to worry about a single thing or feel lonely. He doesn't have to wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats and tears because of a nightmare."

She stopped walking and turned her body to the river. 

"I'd like to sleep without being disturbed...," she said. "I want my heart, my body, my mind and my soul to be at ease. Maybe then, I'd be happy...right?"

She deeply inhaled and slowly exhaled. She closed her eyes for a moment when she heard footsteps approaching her. She slowly opened her eyes and turned her head to the right to see a man's figure walking towards her. The closer he got, the more familiar he looked to her and then she let out a silent gasp. 

"What do you think you're doing out so late at night?" Baekhyun asked with a head tilt. She turned her body to him and set Bacon on the ground. 

"Why does it matter?" she asked with a question herself. He gave a faint smile and he continued to walk up to her, but he was sure to give some space once he was close enough. 

"If you don't want to answer my question then that's fine," he said and looked out to the river, resting his elbows on the railing and placing his chin on top of his crossed arms. Mina looked at him with a fast beating heart and turned away, leaning her back against the railing. 

Baekhyun glanced at her and just stared. He saw her puffy eyes, but he wasn't able to see her slightly red eyes because of the lack of lighting. His heart tighten and he turned away; he knew what happened. 

"You know, you're quite far from the apartment," he said. 

"And you're pretty far from the hotel yourself," she said and he softly snickered. 

"That's cause I wasn't able to sleep," he said. "How should I put it? I guess you can say I was feeling a bit lonely being in a room by myself."

Mina looked up at him and he looked down at her. 

"Also, I was worried about you," he said and her heart pounded against her chest. "I wasn't sure if you'd be able to sleep peacefully."

Mina turned away and answered, "I slept perfectly."

"Did you?" Baekhyun asked with a raised eyebrow. "I wonder why you're out here then?"

Mina frowned, annoyed. 

"Perhaps you missed me and couldn't sleep?" Baekhyun teased and Mina punched his arm. He could only laugh and she scoffed. 

"You're delusional," she muttered. His laughed turned to a soft chuckle and he nudged her arm. 

"I was just kidding," he said and leaned against the railing next to her. "But you know what, I missed you."

Her heart seemed to have stopped; time itself seemed to have stopped. 

"Honestly, I missed you. I thought of you, wondering if you ate or if you were sleeping well," he said with a soft smile and looked down at her. "Remember how I said I was worried about you a moment ago?"

Mina nodded. 

"I was serious about that," he said and leaned over, twisting his upper body a bit to face her. "I was worried you'd have a nightmare and be covered in cold sweat and tears."

Mina widened her eyes and he reached his hand up, caressing her cheeks. 

"You never knew did you?" he asked and her expression said it all. "You've never noticed it, but I always held your hand back to sleep or caressed you like this. I was worried that without me being there tonight, you wouldn't be able to sleep."

Mina felt her eyes burn with tears fighting to come out but she refused to let them come. 

"I don't know what I'll do for the next week when I'm away and not there to comfort you at night," he quietly said and lightly pushed himself off of the railing. He faced her and cupped her face in his hands. "If you can't be at ease during the day then I want you to be at ease at night; your body, your heart, your mind and soul, I want it all to be at ease."

Mina couldn't bare to look at his eyes and so she looked down to have a tear slip. That's the last thing she wanted Baekhyun to see; she never wanted him to see her cry, especially when she's awake and not dreaming. 

Baekhyun's heart broke at the sight of her silently crying and he pulled her into a hug. She didn't fight back like her usual self. 

"You'll be okay without me for a week. That's why I got you Bacon to keep you company," he said and rubbed her back. "Besides, you only need me at night, so you'll be fine during the day."

Mina knew Baekhyun was right. She'd be perfectly fine during the day, but after hearing how he comforted her through the nights, she knew she needed him. 

"You know, we shouldn't be out this late at night, so I'll walk you and Bacon back to the apartment. I've gotta head back to the hotel in time to catch my cab for my flight too," he said and released the hug. "Let's go."

He started walking in the direction Mina came from, but she didn't budge. Baekhyun noticed and looked over his shoulder, then slightly turned his body. 

"Mina?" he called out and she pressed her lips tight together. She let out a quick sigh and looked up to Baekhyun. 

"Let me go with you to Busan," she said and he widened his eyes, not believing what he just heard. "I...I want to go to Busan with you."

Baekhyun wanted to day something, but he wasn't sure what it was so his mouth was left hanging. 

Mina cleared and crossed her arms, saying, "Don't get the wrong idea. I'm only going because I want to get out of Seoul and see the ocean."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and snickered. "Of course. I wasn't expecting much anyways."

"Good," she said and he smiled. 

"I guess we'll have to drive there then. I don't want to leave Bacon alone considering that we just got him," he said, walking up to them and Mina agreed. "You're okay with this though, right? You're being serious?"

"Yes," she said. 

"You're fine sharing a bed with me? I only reserved a room with one bed," he said and she bit her bottom lip, not sure about that. "I think it'll help you sleep better at night. The two of us in one bed."

She narrowed her eyes and glared at him. 

"You're sleeping on the floor like you usually do," she said and crossed her arms. He chuckled and let out a sigh. 

"Fine with me," he said in surrender and they decided to head back to the apartment together. Baekhyun was going to have someone deliver his suitcase from the hotel back to their home. 

Once they returned, they headed straight to the bedroom. 

"I want you to know that just because you've seen my vulnerable side doesn't mean anything," Mina said as she climbed into the bed. Baekhyun was leaning against the door frame and nodded. 

"Whatever makes you happy," he said with a slight smile. "Now go to sleep. Since we're driving there, I'll let you catch some sleep and we'll leave in the afternoon."

"What about you? Shouldn't you sleep since you're driving?" she asked and he shook his head. 

"You need it more than I do," he said as she covered herself in the blanket. "I'll be out in the living room since I'm wide awake, I'll be sure to be quiet too."

"You better," she warned and she closed her eyes. Baekhyun shut off the light with the switch besides him and quietly shut the door behind him with Bacon following him. 

The two sat on the couch in silence and Baekhyun Bacon's back. 

"Mina talked to you, didn't she?" he whispered to Bacon. "What did she tall to you about?"

Bacon looked at Baekhyun, then looked away as if ignoring him. 

"Oh, so that's how it's going to be," Baekhyun snickered. "You'll take care of Mina, right? You'll make her happy, right?"

Bacon laid down, resting his head on Baekhyun's lap, looking up at him as if saying he will. 

"I know you will," he said and let out a sigh. "I always find myself asking if I'd be able to take care of her or make her happy. Do you think I will?"

Bacon climbed completely onto Baekhyun's lap and he took it as a "Yes". 

"Glad you believe in me," he said and gently ruffled Bacon's head. Baekhyun looked at the clock and ten minutes have passed, so he decided to check up on Mina. 

He stood up and walked to the bedroom door, quietly opening it to see Mina fast asleep. She was always the type to fall asleep quickly. 

He felt content seeing her at ease and he walked up to her, gently moving strands of hair out of her face. 

"I want you to know that because I've seen your vulnerable side, it means everything to me," he whispered and leaned over to place a soft kiss against her cheek. "Because then it makes me want to protect you more."

Hours later...

"You seriously just woke up an hour ago and you're already falling asleep?" Baekhyun asked in disbelief as he was driving to Busan with Mina in the passenger's seat and Bacon in his carrier in the back. 

"Last minute packing was a pain," she yawned. 

"Who's fault is that?" he said, slightly raising his voice. "You should've woken up the first time I called your name."

"If Bacon can't even respond to you, what makes you think I would?" she stated and he scoffed. 

"Are you kidding me? We just got him and he barely recognizes his name," he scoffed. 

"Not my problem," she shrugged and turned the music louder. "Why don't you listen to music while I sleep."

"Yah," he tried to scold her but she shut her eyes and ears. "Yah!"

He glanced at her and she was passed out in minutes. He let out a sigh and shook his head. 

"You're unbelievable," he said and so their little 'family' trip began.