Chapter Three

Teach Me What Love Is

Baekhyun's POV~

"Can't I take a break? I've met so many different woman already," I whined with a shoulder shake. "Besides, I just returned from Japan two days ago. Let me rest."

"But we need to find you a partner," my father sighed, flipping through his paperwork. "This woman is the best candidate for both you and the company."

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. 

"If I want to marry a woman, I want to find her on my own," I mumbled and my father just kept looking at his work. "Why are you even rushing me to marry? I'm still young."

"Exactly," my father said and glanced over at me. "Its because you're still young that we want you to marry. If we were to wait any longer then your mother and I will grow old and may not live to see our grandchildren."

I snorted at the last word. He's thinking way too far ahead. 

"Besides, my contract as the President of this company is coming to an end and I think it's best to hand it down to you," he continued and after that, I zoned out on him as he started his lecture.

Marriage, huh? I've thought about marriage and I've had my own fantasies about it, but I never thought it'd be this soon. And I never thought it'd be with a woman my parent's chose, not one that I've chosen. 

I've had dreams about meeting a woman by chance then thinking we'd never meet again when we actually do. As a child, I called that fate. And with fate on my side, I'd make this woman fall in love with me and when she does, I'd get on my knees and propose leading to a happy life. But of course, this was only a dream of mine. My reality is having my parents pick out a woman, then we'd meet and possibly have a few formal dinner dates then announce our marriage. Would I fall in love with a woman not of my choice? Who knows, but with all the woman my parent's have chosen, I wasn't able to fall in love. 

"...Baekhyun," my father's voice boomed into my thoughts. I snapped my head up and looked at him with round eyes. I forgot I was with him and he was aware of that with the sigh he had given me. 

"Baekhyun, tonight you will accompany me and your mother to a party. This woman we've picked will also be attending, therefore you will meet her there," he said and I nodded. "And please behave yourself."

"Yes, abeoji," I said and after a moment of silence, he spoke again. 

"Did something happen?" he asked and I cocked my head to the side. He looked at me and pointed to his cheek. "Your cheek is red."

I slightly widened my eyes and placed my hand over my cheek. I forgot about the incident that happened earlier and snickered. 

"I was slapped by a woman," I told my father and he raised an eyebrow. 

"You caused trouble again?" he asked with a loud sigh, like he was so done with me. 

"Not necessarily," I replied and looked at the clock, shooting out of my seat. "Its already been an hour?!"

No response from my father and I bowed to him. 

"I'll be heading out now. I did promise my precious mother and dear sister I'd have lunch with them," I smiled and he nodded, shooing me away. I gave one last bow and ran out of his office and down the flight of stairs to my car.

Once I got in my car, I drove off towards home, which is a lot further than I remembered; another reason why I stayed at a hotel instead. During the ride home, I couldn't stop thinking about Mina. Sure, I've only met her twice, but she's just unforgettable. She's an interesting one.

Minutes later, I finally got home and all the memories flooded back into my head. It's already been six years and the house itself hasn't changed one bit. 

I stepped out of my car and headed up the steps when the door flung open and ran out my sister, Seolhyun. Before I could even open my arms for a hug, she wrapped my entire body around her arms, suffocating me. 

"O-okay, I get that you miss me, but please loosen up," I barely said and she shook her head, only holding me tighter. "Oof!"

"Oppa, do you know how mean you can be?" she asked and I knew she was pouting. "You said you'd come home, but you went to a hotel instead."

I wiggled myself free, but she still clung on to me. 

"Do you know how far the airport is from home?" I chuckled and wrapped my arms around her. "But I'll be home this week, so don't pout."

And she finally released me. I never noticed how tall she's gotten too; another trait of my father's I wasn't blessed with. 

"Its not like I wanted you home anyways, so no need to rush," she shrugged and I gasped, offended. She giggled and walked into the house as I followed after her. She called out for my mother and announced that I was home, but there was no response. She shouted for my mother again and it made my ear ring, considering that she shouted right next to me ear. 

"Geez, if she didn't reply the first time then would she the second?" I said and walked towards the back of the house. She must be in the garden; her favorite place. Sure enough, my mother was crouched down and planting some seeds. It's refreshing to see such an innocent sight that it brought a smile to my face. 

"Umma!" I called out to her and her attention was on me. 

"Baekhyun-ah!" she softly exclaimed and stood up. She's got a calm and quiet personality; a trait that none of her children received, unfortunately. 

I walked up to her with my arms out, but she stepped back with a shy gesture. 

"I'm covered in dirt. I'll ruin your suit," she said and I snorted. I hugged her anyways. 

"I don't care if you're covered in dirt or swear, if I want to hug my mom then I will," I grinned and she giggled, returning the hug. "We promised we'd have lunch, so why don't you get ready."

She nodded and we both headed back into the house. She went up to her room and I decided to pay a little visit to mine. My room was across Seolhyun's and I took a quick glimpse into hers. She was no longer my baby sister, she's really grown up. He room used to be bright pink and her bed was shaped into a castle; a bedroom that was out of a fairytale. Now, it's neat and feminine with soft pastel pink walls to add color in the room. 

I then looked at my closed bedroom door and reached my hand out to grab hold of the doorknob. I twisted the knob and my door creaked opened. I opened it wider and it was exactly the same as how I had left it six years ago before I left for Japan. 

Mina's POV~

My bedroom was exactly the same when I left this house five years ago when I was sixteen. It was a simple, plain room with nothing much in it. There was a hint of purple to add color, but it didn't make my room look any better. I had photos framed on the wall and on top of my desk, but they've been long gone since my father's death. I didn't throw them out though; instead, I kept them in a box that was stored in my closet and that's the first place I went to. 

I opened my closet and it was completely empty with hangers and a box with cherry blossom designs on it. I knelt down and opened the lid, revealing my memories. My eyes first landed on a photo of me and my father when I was learning how to ride a bike. My heart clenched at the photo and I set it aside. I went through the pile of photos I had stored in my box when I came across my first hanbok; I must have only been a few months when I received it. 

The silk felt nice against my skin and the beautiful colors were pleasant in my eyes; the most colors I've seen in years. I neatly folded it and set it next to my photos when I saw my old best friend, Teddy. He was always there with me from birth to middle childhood. 

I picked him up and he was a lot smaller in my hands now. His fur was rough and the color had faded; he must have gone through a lot...I know I have. I held him against my chest and hung my head low to have its head rub against my chin. 

Just then, the door opened and I glanced over my shoulder to see her. I wasn't expecting it to be her...I didn't want to see her. 

"God, you still kept those things," she groaned in disgust and I slowly began to pack everything back up. I heard her scoff behind me and I clenched my jaw. 

"I'll show everyone my face tonight, then I'll leave," I said, standing up to face her. She gave me a smirky grin and crossed her arms. 

"I was hoping you'd do that anyways," she said and I glared at her. She kept her hard expression steady and leaned against the wall. 

"Such dull eyes...it gets on my nerves," she muttered and I smirked. 

"I guess it runs in our blood," I said and she wasn't smiling anymore. She hated the fact that we were mother and daughter...I hated it even more. After a few seconds, she sighed and reached behind her and threw a bag at my feet. 

"This is what you will wear tonight. I'm sure a child like you needs a maid to help you dress up," she said. "Present yourself well and you will be rewarded later."

And she left without another word, slamming the door behind her. I cursed under my breath and went to sit on the edge of my bed. I wanted to get this night over with even if it hadn't started yet. I stared at the bag that laid on the floor when there was a knock on the door.

"Miss Mina, may I enter?" I heard a maid ask. I deeply exhaled and stood up.

"Yes."

Baekhyun's POV~

At the party, I stuck to my parents like glue. I was introduced to new people and reintroduced to old people; some of whom I don't even remember. My only reaction was to smile and nodded to every word they said. I don't know how long I was doing this for, but it felt like forever. 

I was starting to feel my stomach rumble so I excused myself from my parents and the couple they were speaking to. I made my way to the snack table which had finger foods like cheese and crackers to tiny sandwiches. I grabbed a plate and made sure to fill it up; I was not going to starve myself. 

As I was eating, a woman came up to me and greeted me. She was your typical Korean girl; beautiful pale skin with long silky black hair and round sparkling eyes. 

I made sure to swallow my food before I answered, "Hello."

She smiled and asked, "Are you Baekhyun, by any chance?"

"Yes, I am," I answered and smiled. Her demeanor was soft, like my mother's and with perfect timing, my mother joined us. 

"Ah~ I see you two have finally met!" my mother beamed and I looked at them, confused. My mother further explained, "This is the woman your father and I wanted you to meet."

I slightly widened my eyes and properly greeted the woman standing besides my mother. She giggled lightly and cover in a mannered gesture. 

"My  name is Kim Yoojung, it's a pleasure to meet you," she smiled and our small talk began. My mother talked about her good traits and once again, I found myself forcing a smile and nodding at their words. It was almost like my mother was introducing her daughter to a potential son-in-law; she should be talking about me.

I was starting to get bored and my eyes started to wander off to scan my surrounding. Every now and then I would look back at the two women in front of me and give short replies to their questions or at least react. I then went back to scanning the great hall when my eyes fell upon a certain woman and a smile crept on my face.

"Who knew she'd be here?" I whispered and my mother furrowed her eyebrows. 

"What did you say?" she asked, curious. I looked at the two and blinked my eyes.

"Uhm, I..." I hesitated then clutched onto my stomach. "Ugh! My stomach!"

They panicked and my mother grabbed my arm. "B-Baekhyun-ah! What's wrong?"

"I. Have. To. Go," was all I gasped before I ran off. I moved swiftly around other guests and made sure I was fully out of their sight until the person I was running after was just standing a few steps away. 

She was in an elegant black mini dress that complimented her body; not to mention those legs. Her hair was in loose curls that was just a bit past her shoulders. She looked like a completely different person, but one way or another she was Mina.