Chapter Twelve

Teach Me What Love Is

Mina's POV~

The following nights were still the same after our talk; the only thing that changed was that he wasn't constantly calling me or showing up at the hotel to drag me out. 

Eventually, I did start "living" with Baekhyun more as days turned to weeks, but I still wasn't comfortable with him alone.

Our typical night usually starts with Baekhyun coming home from work and nagging me about staying in the same position I was in when he left me, then we'd argue and he'd laugh to end our argument. After that we'd have our dinner, which is delivery food, and finish off with a show or two before heading to bed; I still slept on the couch and he was on the bed. I didn't mind it being like that. 

I actually didn't mind living with him now...there's just something about living with a person that I can't really describe. Arguing with a person who's always laughing and saying, "I win this round" or "I can't stay mad at you for long" gives me a feeling I can't quite figure out. 

Not to mention, when we have dinner together at the dining table or when we're sitting on the couch together watching a variety show, it's something I've haven't experienced since I left the place I called home. Not even at the hotel did I do these sorts of things with the people I claimed as my friends. 

All these new, yet old experiences were hard to adapt to. Especially the one when I'm at the apartment all day, knowing someone is going to return. I never had to expect someone come back to me when my father died and even at the hotel, so I wasn't used to it when Baekhyun walked through the door saying, "I'm home". I hate seeing his face as soon as he walks in, but at the same time, I don't. I guess I feel relieved when I see him return from work....

And when night hits, he would say "goodnight" and I'd feel this painful feeling in my chest as if I wasn't supposed to hear that one word. It's not a painful feeling of being hurt though, but I can't quite make out what this feeling is. 

Overall, I've gotten used to this new lifestyle, but that doesn't mean I'm enjoying it nor do I like it. I just got used to it. 

One evening, I was back in the hotel suite with my friends and more random strangers. I sat on the edge of the bed in one room of the suite smoking with two women. There wasn't much conversation happening, but that rarely happens in this place. No one talks to each other. It's all about drugs, alcohol and a competition of who can bang the most chicks. That's all the things I'm used to seeing. 

"You know, I haven't seen you around lately," one of the women I was smoking with spoke. I tilted my head in her direction and she let out a sigh with smoke escaping her lips. "Rumor says it you've got yourself a rich man."

I could only snort at the rumor and took a deep inhale of my cigarette before exhaling. 

"Like hell I'd get one," I muttered. "Especially not that one, he's a pain in the ."

She glanced at me for a few seconds before turning away and putting her cigarette out. 

"Is he one of your toys you're playing with?" she asked with a sudden grin. I scoffed and looked at her. 

"He's not one of my 'toys'," I stated. "I wouldn't want to waste my time on him anyways."

The woman giggled like this was something entertaining for her. What's so funny about this conversation? She's most likely high; not from the cigarette, but the drugs she had taken a few minutes ago. 

I put my cigarette out in the ashtray that was laying on the bed and decided to end the conversation by getting up. The other woman who had stayed quiet the whole time was actually knocked out and I didn't notice it until now; the woman who had been talking to me was now giggling to herself, a chilling sight to see but I'm used to seeing this. 

I stepped out of the room and entered the living room seeing a couple ing each other on the couch for everyone to watch. This is what I'm used to seeing...since I was six years old. 

"Mina!" I heard some man's voice and my head instinctively turned in the direction where the voice came from. A slender man was looking over at me and made his way towards me with confident, yet arrogant steps; I could only scrunch my face in disgust. 

"Haven't seen you in awhile, Mina. Where you've been?" he asked once he was directly in front of me. His breath reeked of alcohol. I would have answered, but he spoke up before I could even part my lips. "I don't really care. You're here now and that's all that really matters."

He smiled at me and I gagged seeing his yellow, rotting teethes. Oh what a sight it was to see. Hasn't he ever heard of brushing your teeth or maybe the dentist?

I turned away in disgust and took a step away from him, but he grabbed my hand before I could escape him. This is what I'm used to. 

"Don't leave yet, I just got here," he said and I knew he's been here all day; everyone here has been here all day because they have no life, like me. 

"Let me go," I firmly said and he chuckled, like this was some joke. I knew that if I was to pull away I wouldn't be successful; it's never successful when I'm so weak compared to the person who's holding me. 

"Oh come on, don't be so mean to me," he cooed and pulled me closer to him. God, he reeked. "Just one kiss."

I frowned at the three words and pushed him with all my might to which he was pushed back. Without thinking, I slapped him across the face and those around us laughed and hollered, "Rejected!!"

I was breathing heavily and the man in front me placed a hand on his cheek. This is the second time I've slapped a man. 

"The hell, Mina," he scoffed. "God, lighten up a bit, I was only messing around. All I was asking for was one kiss-"

"And what makes you think I'd grant that?" I asked through clenched teeth. He snorted and smirked. 

"Because it's you, the girl who only knows how to sleep around with men," he said and something hit my chest. "What? Do you prefer to just get started right away in bed?"

I swallowed hard and clenched my fists. I didn't like what he was saying and yet here I was, not being able to defend myself again. 

"What do you know?" I whispered and turned around to walk away when he continued to talk to me. 

"You know, you've changed quite a bit," he said and I couldn't help, but turn back around to meet his eyes. He still had a smirk on his face and he moved towards me, leaning down to whisper in my ear. "I've been observing you for quite a long time and you used to let every guy touch you, but now you can't even let me hold you. What's with the sudden change?"

Just the way he whispered in my ear sent a chill down my spine. 

"You've got it all wrong," I said back and smirked at him. "It's just you who can't get me. You just have to try harder."

And with that, I walked away as those who had been observing continued to laugh at the failure. 

"Better luck next time man!" they laughed. I didn't bother to turn back to look at his reaction, I just wanted to get out as fast as possible. 

Once I got out of the suite, I leaned against the wall in the hallway and let out a sigh. In the suite, it's stuffy, but out here is nice and refreshing. 

After getting my fill of fresh air, I headed towards the room at the end of the hallway. I took slow, small steps and the only thing going through my head was what the strange man earlier had said. 

Since high school, I've always been judged by the way I styled my uniform and how I did my makeup. I will admit that I did attract many boys, but I wasn't interested in them and I still am not now. 

I'm not a big fan of physical contact, but there were times when I didn't mind it because sometimes, there was a gentle and calming thing about it when guys, or anyone in general, touched me. 

I don't know how the rumors started about me and sleeping around with multiple men came about, but I've already created this image on myself, so defending myself wouldn't matter. No one would listen anyways. 

I got in my room and went straight to the bed to lay down from this exhausting day, even if I didn't do anything productive. I tried to clear my mind by closing my eyes and taking slow breaths, but after clearing my mind, I realized that I was now alone in silence. 

It's lonely like this...I hate being alone, but who's to blame for my loneliness? I could only think of myself...I'm always alone because the people who want to be around me are pushed away. 

I opened my eyes and slowly sat up on the bed, just looking at my surrounding. Usually, I'd feel comfortable here but it felt off today. Maybe my loneliness has gotten more severe, who knows. 

Minutes went by and I didn't move from my position. I could hear people passing by and others laughing. Even when I knew there were others in this building with me or on the other side of the door, I still felt alone. 

I let out a sigh and fell back onto the bed when I heard a familiar voice shouting; a voice way too familiar. 

"Yah! Get a room for goodness sakes!" he shouted and I couldn't help but laugh a little inside. This...laughing like this felt weird and uncomfortable. 

Seconds later, there was a knock at my door and I took my time to get up and open it for him. 

"Geez, why do you want to spend the night at a place like this? It's disgusting and these people are rude," was the first thing he said as soon as I opened the door. 

"Well, some of these people are my friends," I retorted and he snorted. 

"Friends my ," he said and walked into the room. I could only roll my eyes at him as he walked past. 

"Why are you even here, Baekhyun? To bring me back to the apartment?" I asked and he shook his head. I noticed that he was holding a plastic lunchbox in his hands. 

"My mom came over to the house and made us dinner, but you weren't home so of course there were leftovers and I thought I'd bring you some," he said with a grin. "It's been awhile since you've had a home cooked meal, so why not have some. It's delicious."

I looked at the lunchbox and salivated, but I wasn't going to give in so quickly. 

"I'm not hungry," I said and laid down on the bed. "I'm exhausted so leave me alone."

"Gosh, you never change," he said and he set the lunchbox on the table. "At least thank me for coming all the way here to drop off some food for you."

"Go away," was all I could say and he pouted. 

"Awwh, but I just got here," he whined like a kid. "Come on, don't be so mean to me!"

The words that came out of his mouth were almost the exact same ones that came out of the strange man's from earlier, but they were different in their own way. As annoying as it is to even hear Baekhyun's voice, he sounded better saying them because I know he wouldn't try to take advantage of me with more words. Why? Because he doesn't know about the rumors that fly on this floor.

"Hey, you wanna hear about my day?" he asked with bright, wide eyes and sat on the bed without my permission. I opened my mouth to reject it, but he's always a step ahead of me. "Who cares what you even say, but today...."

And so his storytelling began. These stories can go on for hours, but do I listen? Of course not! Do I get tested to see if I was listening? Unfortunately, yes. 

Just how in the world can someone talk for hours on one subject without changing the topic or even falling off track?! Apparently a certain someone named, Baekhyun. 

Two hours had gone by, but it felt like a hundred years. I was mentally exhausted, which isn't even a surprise anymore when I'm with him. He knows when I'm tired and so he got off the bed, putting on his hoodie. 

"I guess we can call this a night," he smiled softly, and zipped up his hoodie. "Do you want to come home with me?"

"As if I would," I could barely talk back due to my tiredness and he let out a sigh. 

"I knew you'd say that, but I thought I'd try," he said and just as he was putting on his shoes, we heard a couple in the next room. Like I've said before, these walls are thin as hell. 

"Well, have fun sleeping here tonight," he snickered and headed towards the door. "Goodnight, Mina."

There he goes again with his sweet "goodnight" and it was followed by the door shutting behind him. 

All. Alone. Again.

Do I want to be alone tonight? Especially with some strangers in the room next door? Even when I'm used to hearing them, do I really want to be alone?

I sat up in bed and bit my bottom lip to think about what I was going to do. I looked at the lunchbox and all I could think of was Baekhyun...he's alone. Does he want to be alone tonight? 

I sighed and looked at the door when the smell of his cologne was still lingering in the air. It didn't take me long when I got out of bed and headed to the door. 

"Baekhyun?" I found myself calling his name once again. I've done this before and he was on the other side of the door, waiting for me. Would he be there once I open the door?

I don't know why I was feeling anxious, but I wrapped my hand around the door handle and opened the door. 

He wasn't there....

"I must be stupid," I whispered and started to close the door when I heard another door open. It was the emergency exit door right by the room. 

Long and behold the one man I was expecting to see, Byun Baekhyun. 

"You were searching for me, weren't you?" he grinned with happiness and I scoffed at him. 

"As if," I said and he walked up to the door, leaning against the wall next to the door frame. 

"Last time it took you less than two minutes to come after me, but tonight it took five," he stated. "Try to make it less than two."

I rolled my eyes at him and we stood there in silence. It wasn't bad though...for once, I didn't hate this quietness. 

"I'll ask you one more time," he said in a low, husky voice that made my pulse race. "Do you want to come home with me?"

It was this again; haven't experienced this since the night of the banquet where I got lost and Baekhyun kept following me, asking me to leave with him. 

"You can sleep on the bed once we get home," he said trying to persuade me to go with him after I wasn't giving him an answer. "Come home with me...just for the night."

He was really desperate, but in a respectful manner. The last time I left with him on the night of the banquet, I immediately regretted it, but will I regret it again?

"Fine," I finally answered and he gave me the happiest smile ever. Seeing him smile like that made me feel...feel happy. 

I went back into the room to get the lunchbox since it would be a waste to leave it behind and met up with him down at the lobby. He was still happy and excited about the whole thing, but honestly, it's not even that big of a deal for me to voluntarily go to the apartment. 

The whole car ride there was filled with Baekhyun humming some random tunes; I guess he was really happy. I guess it's nice to see him happy. 

I was staring out the window looking at every building that passed by when Baekhyun turned the corner. I furrowed my brows and turned to him. 

"This isn't the way back to the apartment," I said, confused. He gave me a quick look and smiled. 

"Taking a detour for the night," he answered. 

"For what?" I asked and he turned another corner. 

"Because it takes longer getting home this way," he replied and I was even more confused. Why would anyone want to take the long way home?

"I have a reason if you're wondering about it," he chuckled a little and I waited for him to explain it to me. "Coming this way takes us an hour and a half to get home, which means more quality time."

I made a face and stared at him. "You're kidding me, right?"

He shook his head and stopped at the stop lights. He turned his body to me and looked at me with gentle eyes. 

"Well, I've gotta make up for the times that I've left you alone, right?" he asked and I felt my chest tighten. "An hour and a half isn't much, but it's better than nothing. Even if we're just going home, I enjoy these moments with you."

I wasn't able to say anything in return...not even a single bad comeback. 

The lights turned green and he drove off without saying another word. Now my mind was only filled with his words...only he says those sorts of things, but it's expected right? He is to be my husband after all, so he's gotta be nice to me, that's why.

Finally, after a little over an hour and a half of the drive we reached the apartment. He and I entered the building, getting on the elevator and going up to our level. We haven't said a word to each other since he last spoke, but I liked it this way. 

Baekhyun's POV~

Back in our apartment, I let her shower first as I prepared the bed for her. It was nice seeing her after hours of being separated...maybe I really have grown attached to her. 

Once I finished the bed, I picked out my clothes for tomorrow's meeting at work and heard Mina's footstep come in the room. 

"There's still a lot of hot water left, so go shower," she said, almost demanding me to go. 

"I'll go after I pick out my outfit for tomorrow," I replied, not looking at her. I was focused on choosing the right tie for a suit or the right suit for a tie. 

I heard the bed creak a bit and so I looked over my shoulder at her. She was sitting on the edge of the bed looking in my closet. 

"I don't get why you're so focused on choosing an outfit when your clothes literally look the same as the other," she stated. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at my clothes. 

"They're not the same," I said and pointed to one suit. "This one is navy blue. This one has a tiny slit on the sides. Oh, and this one has pockets inside the blazer. And this-"

"Okay okay! I get it!" she interrupted and groaned. "Gosh, you didn't have to do a show and tell for me. I don't need to know what makes them different."

I chuckled and put all the clothes I threw on the floor back in the closet. 

"You were pretty much asking for it when you couldn't see the difference," I said and hung up my last piece of clothing. "I guess I'll call this a night."

It was close to midnight and I didn't want to keep Mina up any longer if she was going to sleep in the bedroom. I grabbed my stuff for my shower and headed towards the door. 

"The navy blue suit looks nice," she suddenly said and I stopped to look back to her. She didn't look at me, but to my closet again. "I think the navy blue suit would look nice on you."

I blinked my eyes and smiled. 

"You think so?" I asked and she shrugged with pursed lips. "I guess I have my outfit figured out. Thanks, Mina."

"Whatever," she said and started getting under the covers. 

"Well, goodnight," I said and closed the door behind me. I went straight to the bathroom and stripped myself before heading into the shower. 

After my 10 minute shower, I dried myself and dressed in my sleeping attire. I threw my dirty clothes in the hamper and got out of the bathroom to see Mina sitting on the couch. I raised an eyebrow and thought I was imagining things cause I swear, she was getting comfortable in bed awhile ago.

"Why aren't you asleep?" I asked and she looked up at me with a emotionless face. 

"I don't know," she flatly said and I walked up to her. "I guess it feels weird to sleep in the bed when I've been sleeping on the couch since we've moved in."

I softly snickered and kneeled down to meet her eyes. 

"Did you want to sleep on the couch then?" I asked and she didn't reply. "Or...did you want me to join you in bed?"

"Like hell I'd want that," she growled and I shrugged like she just lost her chance. 

"Well, I did promise to give you the bed, so you're going to sleep in it whether you like it or not," I said and stood up, holding my hand out to her. "And if you want, I can sleep in there with you; just not on the bed."

She looked at my hand then up at me. Maybe I was still expecting too much from her to slide her hand in mine and so I pulled my hand back to my side. 

"I'll sleep on the floor," I continued and she pressed her lips together, thinking. I've noticed that she pressed her lips or bites her lip when she's thinking; it's cute. 

"Okay," she softly said and I felt my heart hit my chest out of shock and happiness. I smiled and she stood up, leading the way to the bedroom. I followed in after her and she went straight to the bed, getting comfortable once again. 

There was something about the way she was acting that made me wonder why she agreed to have me sleep in the same room as her. 

I grabbed a blanket thick enough to be my mattress and a blanket to cover myself in. I grabbed an extra pillow from the closet and laid down; it was surprisingly comfortable on the floor. 

I looked up at the bed and heard Mina shift in her position. 

"Hey," I softly spoke to get a low hum in response. "You know how you said it was weird to sleep on the bed because you're used to the couch?"

No reply, but she was listening. 

"I think it's weirder that you're able to sleep in the same room with me when you've been sleeping alone this whole time," I said. 

Silence. 

"Is this your way of saying that you're finally used to being around me? That you're comfortable?" I asked and no answer. I didn't expect one anyways, so I to my side. 

"Its not that I'm completely comfortable with you," she whispered and I perked up a bit. "Its just...just...nevermind. Just sleep."

I softly smiled and closed my eyes. There's something different about this woman; I can tell she's changing. And I think I know why she agreed to sleep with me in the bedroom...it's because she's been alone all this time and she just needs someone right now, with her. 

I let out a sigh and whispered, "Goodnight, Mina."

Seconds later. 

"Goodnight...Baekhyun."