Chapter Eleven

Teach Me What Love Is

Baekhyun's POV~

My first night living together with Mina wasn't a surprise when she didn't return home. That night, with my headache, I had to go to the hotel and drag her body back to the apartment. Of course it wouldn't be us if there wasn't a fight, but she eventually came with me. 

The second night wasn't any better. When I returned from work that evening, she was gone. I waited for hours just for her to come back, but did she? Hell no. I went to the hotel to look for her, but she wasn't there either. I asked the receptionist where she was, but of course he had no idea. I literally searched the whole city for her! Well...maybe not, but close enough. I even called her more than twenty times and she never picked up. I eventually gave up for the night. 

The third and fourth night were a bit easier to get her back to the apartment, but she wasn't happy. She's never happy when she's with me. Question: why does she hate me anyways?! Is she holding a grudge because I scratched her car? She seems perfectly fine with other men!

The following days were inconsistent; I would have to travel to the hotel to retrieve her or she would come home on her own. She's like a delinquent teenager you don't want or ever want to encounter. Honestly, I was growing tired of her behavior but work was even more tiresome. By the end of the day, all my energy would have been drained already. 

Today, I had lunch with Seolhyun after she was done with her classes for the day. We had small talk during our meal, like usual, but Mina had entered our conversations a lot more. 

"How's it going with Mina unnie?" Seolhyun asked, jabbing her fork in her salad. 

"It's fine," I half-lied to her. Mina and I haven't seen each other as much as I would have expected. So much for not running away, right?

"Hmm, that doesn't sound very convincing," she said and looked up at me. "What's up?"

I pressed my lips firmly together sighing through my nose before I told her everything that was running through my mind; I ranted to her about Mina. I told her how Mina and I don't even share a bedroom; I sleep in the bedroom alone while Mina sleeps in the living room on the couch because she believes it's more convenient for her to sneak out. I also told her about how I didn't see this relationship going anywhere; how I felt like I was babysitting than living happily with my so-called girlfriend and more. Of course I never told her about Mina possibly seeing other men, but I just kept on talking and talking as Seolhyun kept on nodding to every word I said. 

"Well, there seems to be no communication in your relationship," she said after I had finished ranting. 

"Obviously!" I said as I threw my hands in the air before bringing them to my sides. She sighed and leaned over the table. 

"Have you ever given her the chance to speak her mind?" she asked with a soft voice. 

"Of course I have," I said, remembering all those harsh words Mina's ever spit at me. 

"That's not what I meant, oppa," my sister spoke. "I'm talking about her true feelings."

True feelings...? Like hell she has any. 

"What if there was a reason for her rebelling? What if there's something else bothering her that she's always spending the night at the hotel?" Seolhyun asked and I furrowed my brows. 

"And what exactly would be bothering her?" I asked and she shrugged. 

"How should I know? I'm not her," she sighed and looked down at her salad. "But you know, you just have to be patient with her and try to understand her. I mean, she did lose a special man in her life and she obviously doesn't have a great relationship with her mother and new father, so it's probably hard for her to adapt to new experiences."

I raised an eyebrow and leaned into my chair with crossed arms. I asked her, "How would you know if the mother-daughter relationship is horrible?"

"Its so obvious, oppa," Seolhyun said and took a sip of her ice tea. "Their interaction was so unnatural and you can feel the tension between the two when we had that family dinner."

I never saw the unnatural interaction between the two, but then again I was only focused on Mina. But their relationship can't be that terrible, can it?

"Anyways, back to Mina unnie. All I have to say is that you have to be patient with her oppa," she softly smiled with encouragement. "There was a reason why you decided to marry her in the first place that didn't involve the business. You said it yourself that you're doing it for both her and yourself, so that must mean something, even if you don't know what it is yet."

"That's true...," I sighed and smiled softly. "Oh! I want to know something...I want an honest answer from you sis."

"What is it?" she asked, tilting her head to the side with curiousity. 

"Do you think I'd be able to make Mina fall in love?" I asked and she raised an eyebrow. "I'm asking this because...well, Mina once said that love doesn't exist and I want to show her that it does."

She sighed and pressed her lips together to think. She crossed her arms and raised a hand up to tap her finger against her chin. 

"Well, who exactly do you want her to fall in love with? That's the question," Seolhyun stated and I felt my heart hit my chest. "Oppa, you said you want to help her fall in love, but with who? The only way you can show her that love exists is if you or the person she's going to fall in love with loves her. In this case, you being her wedded partner, should love her first before you even try to teach her what love is."

I furrowed my brows and felt my pulse race. "If I love her...huh."

Another question I can ask myself is, do I love her?

We ended our lunch date and I went back home, expecting Mina to be gone. I walked through the front door and let it shut behind me as I took off my shoes. I loosened my tie and entered the living room to surprisingly see Mina asleep on the couch. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall just above her and it was past 4 o'clock. 

I set my things against the wall and quietly walked up to her. I knelt down and peered at her resting face. This is the first time I've seen her sleeping up close; she looked like a different person. She almost looked pitiful the way her lips naturally frowned even when she was asleep. She didn't look evil either; she had an innocent and gentle appearance as a few strands covered her cheek. 

Without really thinking, I gently moved her hair over her shoulders and caressed her cheek; she was cold under my touch. She moved a bit, which startled me, but she didn't pull away. Instead, it seemed as if she was moving towards my fingers wanting more. 

"I wonder how long it's been since you've been touched like this," I whispered, feeling my chest squeeze. "With tenderness...."

The next day when I returned from work, Mina was sitting on the couch munching on some dried squid while watching a drama. She looked "normal" with her hair in a messy bun and in a casual night attire compared to the past few days when she's in revealing clothes; a shocking visual that I got used to. 

I remembered what happened last night the longer I stared at her and looked away feeling my face burn up. I must have been a creep last night for doing that. I'm sure if she woke up in the middle of all that she would've cut my arm off. 

I walked to the fridge to get myself a water bottle to cool myself down 

"You've been in that same position since I left you this morning," I said after taking out a water bottle. She gave no response. "Have you had a proper meal today?"

"I guess...," she faltly answered. I walked up to her and sat besides her, leaning back into the couch drinking my water. 

"What'd you eat?" I asked and she shrugged. I looked at her and she was nibbling on the squid as it hung from . "Is that all you ate?"

Once again, another shrug. I sighed and shut my eyes tight from exhaustion and a bit of frustration; today really wasn't my day at work with a lot of nagging. 

"Mina, please, all I'm asking you is to at least have a proper meal while I'm at work," I said. "I don't care if the house is messy when I get back. All I care about is your wellbeing."

Silence. 

"Mina-"

"I had a proper meal today, don't worry," she forced out the words. I looked at her with a concerned frown. "I had kimchijjigae with tofu and a full bowl of rice. Are you happy?"

I sighed with relief and nodded. "That's good."

She huffed out a sigh and stood up. I looked at her every movement. 

"I'm heading out," she said and I caught hold of her wrist before she could leave my sight. She looked down at me as I looked up at her. "What?"

"You're leaving again?" I asked and she rolled her eyes then nodded. 

"Do you really hate living with me?" I asked and she frowned a bit. "Do you hate it that we're living under the same roof? Or that I sleep in the bedroom while you sleep on the couch? We can switch, you know."

She was quiet, but her lips were parted like she wanted to say something. I swallowed and stood up, closing the gap between us. She backed up a bit and I wrapped an arm around her waist so she couldn't escape or stumble back if she lost her footing. 

"Answer me," I softly said, gazing down at her. She averted her eyes and hung her head low. Just what was she thinking at this moment? What exactly is going through her mind that she can't answer me?

Mina's POV~

The things he says annoy me...I don't really know why though. I don't like how he always wants what he wants, like answers. 

"I don't like it when you're always out and about," he said with a soft, husky voice. "It worries me."

With that, there was a painful jab  against my chest. I felt him pull me closer to the point where our bodies were pushed up against each other. I didn't like it. 

"I'm always worried about whether you're okay or safe when you're not here," he continued. "I feel like I can't protect you when you're somewhere else."

"I never asked you to worry about me," I whispered. "I'm not a child-"

"But you act like one," he interrupted and another painful punch was sent in my chest. I really hate this feeling...I hate him for making me feel this way. 

"...also, it's lonely here without you," he said and I looked up at him. His eyes showed me he was upset. "Maybe I'm just expecting too much from you...but I want to be able to see someone when I get back from work. I didn't agree to move out of my parent's house because I wanted to start living alone. I left because I thought I'd be greeted every day when I return from work or at least know that someone is waiting for me."

The way he speaks really annoys the out of me....

"Then get yourself a pet," I muttered and pushed him away, which he willingly let me go. "I didn't ask for this. I never wanted to marry you or even live with you, it's because of my selfish mother that this is all happening."

"Your mother again...," he whispered. I clenched my jaw and fists with anger. 

"I never asked you to worry about me. I don't care if you're lonely," I said with my voice trembling; that's a first. "Worry about your own wellbeing considering that you're always working! Find some friends or a roommate to cover up for your loneliness!"

I was now breathing heavily as we both stared at one another. There was silence and I furrowed my eyebrows. Why isn't he saying anything? Say something!

"How can I worry about myself when all I can think about is you?" he finally spoke and I slightly widened my eyes. I swear, I heard a loud thump within my chest. "Do you really think I want you in my head? You know, there are times when my work is more important than you and yet here you are, always driving me crazy in my head."

"Are you blaming me?" I asked in disbelief. 

"You're half the blame," he said and I swallowed hard. Why am I to blame for?! I've done nothing wrong!

"And do you think I want to be this lonely when you're not here?" he asked with a frown. "No, but it's because I've gotten used to your existence that I can't seem to accept the fact of you not being here."

"What the hell," I scoffed and felt my chest burn. I didn't know what to say because there was so many things running in my head. He must be joking. 

I let out a deep sigh and turned my back to him. I knew the longer I stayed, the more annoyed I'd get so I started walking towards the door. 

"You're really leaving?" he asked and I didn't bother to stop. 

"Get used to it already. This isn't the first time," I said as I put on my shoes. "And it won't be the last."

I looked up to him once I had both shoes on. His expression was sadden and hurt. He was serious about all the things he said earlier. I couldn't bare to look at him, so I turned around and wrapped my hand around the door handle, opening it midway. 

"You said you wouldn't run away," he quietly said and I clenched my jaw before leaving the place without another word. 

I walked out to my car and headed back to the hotel; all I could think about was the expressions he gave me this evening. None of them I liked. 

"Who does he think he is?" I whispered as I sat in my car. "All he ever talks about is himself and how he feels. What about me? What about how I feel?"

I felt a lump grow in my throat and my eyes burn...something I haven't experienced in the longest time. 

"Has it ever crossed your mind that I've never lived with a man ever since my father died?" I continued to talk to myself in the car. "Do you know how uncomfortable it is for me? I can't settle in as quick as you...I'm not you."

I clenched the steering wheel and felt my mood drop. 

"Has it ever crossed your mind that I've been alone ever since my father died?" I whispered with my eyes tearing up. "Do you know how lonely I feel when there's only silence that fills the air? I don't know how to express myself like you because I'm not you, Baekhyun."

I sighed loudly, shutting my eyes tight and pressed my forehead against the steering wheel as I in my tears. I hate crying...I hate being misunderstood...I hate Baekhyun who doesn't even try to understand me, it's always about him.

I opened my eyes, half-lidded, and slowly lifted my head up to look at the hotel and felt my heavy chest lighten up a bit. That's right. My place is here at the hotel; this is my home. Or so it was....

*knock* *knock*

I looked out the window next to me and saw a woman's figure, not her face. I already knew who it was and my calmness went into hatred. 

I unlocked the door and got out, not looking at my mother's eyes. I crossed my arms and stared at the hotel. 

"Why are you here?" I asked. 

"I think the question is, why are you?" she asked with a scoff. "I've heard you've spent many nights here when you should be with Baekhyun."

I swallowed hard and avoided her glare. I wasn't able to say anything. 

"Are you giving me the silent treatment?" she snickered in disbelief. "What a child."

I clenched my fist and jaw before I snapped my head to her. I frowned with a glare as she smirked at me. 

"You dare give me that look again?" she asked and grabbed my chin firmly, almost yanking me to face her closer. "You dirty little piece of trash. You're always giving that look; how disrespectful. To add on top of that, you defied me."

This woman is crazy. Her eyes tell it all. 

"This is my last warning, Mina. You will live with Baekhyun and marry him so that I can received my benefits from them," she continued to growl under her breath. "If you dare disobey me again, I'll make sure you won't see the day of light."

And without realizing it, I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I really hate this woman. 

"How disgusting," she grimaced and released me. "Return to Baekhyun this instant."

I hung my head low and got back in my car, starting the engine. I let out a deep sigh to calm my nerves and drove off, but not back to the apartment. She didn't need to know where I was gonna go. 

After a few minutes of driving, I arrived at a bar. The first thing I did was obviously drink once I was in the building. I had drinks after drinks and so far, I was handling them well. 

I slowed down my pace and stared at my half empty glass of alcohol. I tried not to think about everything that had happened today with Baekhyun and my mother, but all the words that came out of their mouths kept running in my head. 

I've never had a big argument with Baekhyun before considering that we've seen each other for nearly a month now, but you can say the one today was the biggest. Usually, he'd laugh when we fight, but not today. I disappointed him...I made him worry...I caused him trouble...I made him sad. Maybe this really was all my fault. Because of me, he wasn't happy. Is that something I really want? Especially to the cheerful Baekhyun that I hate? Who knows.

Not to mention, my mother. She was always physical with me, but never publicly; today was a first as well. Unfortunately, it was late and there was no one to witness this crazy side of her. Oh how much I wanted to expose her. I guess she really does have my life in her control. 

Then there's me...I haven't shed a tear ever since my father died. Today was the first time and I hope the last. I know I'm a short-tempered person one day then quiet and isolated the next, but my moods have been unpredictable these past few days. I know I'm still me, but at the same time I don't know who I am anymore. It's all because he entered my life...it's because of him I'm like this now. I hate this.

I chugged down my last bit of alcohol when I felt my phone vibrate in my pockets. I pulled out my phone and saw a text from Baekhyun. 

His text said, "Your mother told me you'd be coming home tonight. This was 30 minutes ago, where are you?"

I wasn't going to reply, then another one was received. 

"Never mind that question...wherever you are, sleep well, Mina."

I frowned at the message and put my phone down. Not that I'm curious, but where exactly will this relationship lead us?

Baekhyun's POV~

I laid in bed after I sent in that last text and closed my eyes. I knew she wasn't going to reply, but I knew she saw it. I wanted to say sorry too, but that's something you don't say over a text message. 

Honestly, I've never seen her like that before. She was upset...I could see it in her eyes and the way she spoke. But what was it that upset her? Was it me? I wouldn't be surprised though, she hates me. 

The more I thought about it, the more guilty and frustrated I felt. 

"Just where exactly is this relationship taking us?" I whispered and rolled onto my side to look at the time. It was past midnight and I could only wonder what she was doing at this time, then my exhaustion took over as I fell asleep. 

The next morning was the usual, waking up alone. Ever since I moved into this apartment, I've started to hate waking up alone. 

I stretched before I got out of bed and did the usual morning routine of washing up and getting ready for my busy day. I looked at myself in the mirror and fixed my tie before I stepped out of the bedroom. 

I headed straight to the refrigerator to get a glass of orange juice to start my morning when I heard the door beep open. I turned my head towards the tiny entrance way and saw Mina walk in. Our eyes met and for once, I was the first to turn away. 

There was silence. 

"You're up early," she spoke first and I heard the door shut. "Is there something important going on?"

"No," I answered and closed the refrigerator door. "I just happened to wake up early."

"Oh," she said and silence fell upon us again. I slowly turned to face her and she averted her gaze for a second before looking up at me. 

As I stared at her more, the more she appeared different in my eyes. Sure, she was in the same clothes as yesterday but she looked different; almost like the the person she was the previous night when I found her fast asleep on the couch. But of course, the longer I stared at her, she started to frown at me. She was irritated and she was back to looking like Mina; I couldn't help but snicker a bit with a smile. 

"Why are you laughing?" she asked and I shrugged.

"It's nothing," I said and walked up to her. "I guess I should say this now before I miss the chance."

She tilted her head, confused. 

I smiled softly and looked down at her once I was directly in front of her. 

"I'm sorry about last night," I said and she slightly widened her eyes. "I didn't mean to upset you, Mina."

"I...I wasn't upset," she softly said. That was the most gentle voice I've heard from her. "I was just...pissed off."

"Why?" I asked and she looked away, then I thought about my conversation with Seolhyun yesterday. "Mina, I won't be able to understand you if you don't talk to me."

She didn't say anything and I knew very well she wasn't ready to share her thoughts or feelings with me yet, so I didn't push her any further. 

"Either way, I'm sorry," I sincerely said and she nodded, her way of accepting my apology. 

I felt relieved after saying that and just seeing her was enough to make me happy, even when I was just ranting about her to my sister yesterday. After a moment of silence, I spoke again. 

"Well, since I'm all ready for work, I guess I'll go and leave you alone," I said and stepped past her when I felt a little tug at my sleeves. I stopped in my tracks and looked down to see her holding the end of my sleeves. I was shocked to see her like this. 

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, but she didn't respond. I looked down at her and she seemed deep in her thoughts. "Mina?"

She snapped her head at me and looked at me shocked. "Ah, I-I didn't mean to."

And she released me. There was something she wanted to say, but I knew she wasn't going to tell me. 

"You can go," she said and walked towards the couch. I watched her and wanted to know what she had to say. 

"You know, I've got an hour before I have to go in," I said and leaned against the wall, staring at her. "Whatever you want to say, good or bad, I'll hear it all."

She was hesitant; another side of her I've never seen. She bit her bottom lip and fiddled her fingers. 

"Mina-"

"It's uncomfortable," she finally spoke and I tilted my head for more. "I...I've felt uncomfortable living with you since day one, which is one of the reasons why I didn't want to move in with you other than the fact that I hate you."

I chuckled a bit and she glared at me. I cleared my throat to stop and she continued, "It's been years since I've lived with a man under the same roof, so it's a bit uncomfortable for me. That's why I left the place when you were home...."

So that's how she felt this whole time...I didn't know. I always thought she hated living with me because it's me, which is partially true, but I didn't know there was more to it. I guess Seolhyun was right. 

"So it was like that," I softly said and walked towards her. She looked at me and turned away. I tilted my head and tried to get a better look at her. Was I imagining things? She was blushing and the tip of her ears were red. In other words, she was embarrassed. 

I couldn't help but smile at her. I knelt down in front of her and held her hand, which she pulled away. Rejected once again, but that's something I'm used to. 

"Thanks Mina," I said and she glanced down at me. "Thanks for being honest with me."

"Whatever," she muttered and stood up. I stood up too, watching her as she walked to the refrigerator to grab a water bottle. 

"Also, I like it when you have these kind of different expressions," I said and she looked at me. "They're...how should I say it. Cute?"

"Eww, you're kidding me," she scoffed and she was her usual self again. I chuckled and walked up to her, closing the gap. 

"Do I look like I am?" I whispered and leaned closer just as she was drinking her water. Our foreheads lightly touched each other and she widened her eyes, accidentally spitting out the water at me. 

"That's so disgusting!" I shouted and wiped my face dry. 

"You are!" she shouted back. "Who the hell are you to touch my forehead like that?!"

"Me?! I didn't do it on purpose!" I yelled and looked down at her in disgust. "You got spit on me!"

"You deserved that!" she huffed out and crossed her arms. I let out a sigh and crossed my arms too. We glared at each other for a few seconds longer when I couldn't hold it in anymore. I was now laughing at the situation, but she wasn't; not a surprise there. 

"Geez, you're always laughing," she muttered and turned away. 

"How can I not laugh? The arguments we have are hilarious," I laughed and wiped my tears. "Besides, I can never stay mad at you for long."

She slightly widened her eyes and looked directly into mine. I settled down and grinned down at her, chuckling here and there. 

"You do know that, right?" I asked with a low voice. She had a confused expression and I smiled, leaning my head down closer to her. "I can never stay mad at you...in other words, I can never hate you, Mina."

I heard a tiny gasp escape through her lips and I felt satisfied to her that kind of response. I pulled away and let out a sigh. 

"Well, I guess I'll be going now," I said and looked at my wrist watch, then to her. "I'll see you later in the evening, right?"

She gave a light nod and I ruffled her hair before turning my back to her. I put on my shoes and opened the door. 

"Again, thanks for being honest with me this morning," I said just as my body was halfway out the door. "I hope you can start being honest with me from now on, so that I can understand you a bit more. I'll start being honest with you too."

There was no response, but I knew she was listening. I sighed again and shut the door, leaving for work. 

Once again, the only person running through my mind once I stepped out of the apartment was Mina. Who would've thought that she'd open up to me and show me more sides to her, but there's still much more to discover. I guess I'll really have to wait to see where this relationship will take us, but I can already see the change in it.