Chapter Twenty-One

Teach Me What Love Is

Mina's POV~ 

The first night at Baekhyun's relatives went just fine. He slept on the floor while I was on the bed, as usual, but the night seemed to be quieter than normal. I hurt him again, I know I did. 

That morning, he woke up earlier than I did and hung out with his family while prepping breakfast. I laid in bed on my side while ruffling Bacon's head, just starting to wake up myself. I stayed like that for another few minutes when Baekhyun walked in the room. I glanced at him then looked back to Bacon. 

"Breakfast will be done in a few minutes," he said and grabbed his phone charger. "Wash up and join us."

And he was out the door without another word. I sighed and rolled onto my back, stretching my body with a groan. Bacon got up as well and shook his body before jumping off the bed. 

I got out of bed and did my morning routine of washing up, then greeted the family in the dining room. 

"How was your sleep?" Haerin asked as she was helping Baekhyun's mother set up the table. 

"It was great," I said with a faint smile and took a seat next to her daughter, Hyeri, who was sitting in between Baekhyun and I. 

The two seemed to still be strangers to one another. He tried to get her attention, but she ignored him in a shy manner. Hyeri's dad was already at work since early in the morning, so she couldn't hide from Baekhyun. 

"Hyeri, if you become my friend, I'll buy you a stuffed animal," Baekhyun tried to bribe. I looked at him in disbelief. "Or anything you want."

She shook her head and scooted closer to me; I didn't mind it. I've gotten used to kids clinging onto me. 

"That's no way to get close to a child, Baekhyun-ah," his mother chuckled and he pouted. 

"But she's my niece," he said and slouched in his seat with arms crossed. "I want to get close to her before we leave."

He looked quite pitiful from my view, but it was kind of amusing to see him like this. 

Haerin set the last dish on the table and joined us at the table. We began to eat our breakfast having small talk here and there. Baekhyun still tried to get Hyeri's attention, but it failed. She was so done with him that she even got out of her seat to stay with her mom. 

"Stop trying, she doesn't like you," I said and he leaned over with his arm around my back, resting it on the chair.  

"But you do, right?" he whispered and I slightly widened my eyes, frozen. I swallowed hard and looked at him as he was smiling at me, then he pulled away. His smile was faint this time and he looked down to his food. 

"Don't worry, I'm just teasing you," he said and I clenched my jaw. 

What the hell? Why is he teasing me again? 

"So, what are your plans for today?" Haerin asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"I don't know, there's not much to do," Baekhyun answered with a shoulder shrug. "Might just hang out with Sejong and the others. Unless you've got something planned for us."

Haerin softly smiled and picked Hyeri up unto her lap. 

"Not necessarily," she said. "I've got a doctor's appointment today to check up on baby and I was wondering if you guys would watch Hyeri for me? I'd bring her, but she's been a handful lately."

Great, now we've become babysitters, but it's not like we had anything to do anyways. I mean, this woman is pregnant, what she needs most is time to herself away from a 3-year-old. 

"We don't mind," I spoke first and looked to Baekhyun, who looked surprised. "Why don't you take advantage of us and have some alone time?"

Haerin beamed and smiled widely. "Is that really okay?"

"Yes," Baekhyun smiled. "It's the least we can do in return for letting us stay here."

"Awwh, thank you guys!" she said. "I just hope she's fine with it considering that she's never been separated from us."

You've got to be kidding me. I was starting to regret my decision because children like that tend to cry nonstop; the attachment level is no joke. 

"We'll do the best we can," Baekhyun said with determination to do well and get close to Hyeri. 

"Thank you," she smiled. "My appointment is during the time of her nap, so I'll put her down before I leave."

We nodded and breakfast ended. The following hours, Baekhyun still tried to get closer to Hyeri, but she was getting better at this "you don't exist to me" thing. He'd do anything to get her attention from voice imitations to crawling on the floor, but not once did she turn her head to him. Poor guy should just give up. 

It was past 1pm and Hyeri was starting to get tired, so Haerin put her to sleep in their bedroom. She quietly packed her things and snuck out of the house with Baekhyun's mother. 

"Thanks again," she said before leaving the house and we watched them leave. 

"Do you think we can do it?" I asked, watching her car drive off. 

"I believe we can," he answered and I looked up to him. 

"What if something happens to her?" I asked, now feeling nervous. "What if she ends up choking on something? What if she cries nonstop? What if-"

"Stop putting those thoughts into your head," he said, poking my forehead and smiled. "I'm not going to let anything happen to her. Besides, what can go wrong other than her crying for Haerin noona? It's normal for children to cry for their mother."

I looked at him as he gave me a reassuring expression and I let out a sigh. 

"Also, this is good practice for us once we start a family," he grinned and I glared at him. 

"Dream on," I muttered and walked to the couch with him following. We both sat down and silence filled the room. 

For once in a long time, this silence was awkward. I didn't know what to say to him and I didn't know what he was thinking. 

Baekhyun's POV~

Wow, this is awkward...what do I say to her? I always have something to say. 

I pressed my lips together and glanced at her as she seemed to be in her own thoughts. What is she thinking about right now? Obviously not me...but has she ever thought about me? In what way...? I just hope she's not thinking about ripping my guts out considering how much she hates me...but there's gotta be good thoughts too, right?

"Should we make lunch?" she asked out of the blue. I guess she was thinking about food this whole time. "Let's prepare something so that once Hyeri wakes up, she'll have something to eat."

"And because you're hungry too, right?" I asked and she nodded. 

"That too," she answered and I lightly laughed. "Okay. Let's go see what they have. We'll think of something."

We both got up and entered the kitchen, looking through their fridge. There were things I've never seen before and a bunch of vegetables. I wouldn't know what to do with them and obviously she didn't know either. 

"Should we just order something instead?" she asked and I raised an eyebrow. 

"You're not going to attempt to make something?" I asked and she shrugged. 

"I don't know what to make," she said and shut the refrigerator door. "I only know how to make the foods I've learned from Seolhyun. Those ingredients look foreign."

I made a face and said, "Those are obviously Korean ingredients."

"Well, I've never seen them before," she said and turned around, pulling out her cellphone. We both sat down at the dining table as she looked up local restaurants. She looked so serious, but she always does when it comes to food. Whether it's making it or eating, she's always got a serious expression on. It's amusing if you ask me. 

"How does fried chicken sound?" she asked and looked up at me. 

"Anything is fine," I answered. "But remember we have to feed Hyeri too."

She made a face and I knew she forgot about Hyeri. 

"I'm sure she'll be fine with it. Who doesn't like fried chicken?" she snorted. "Should we get some beer? Or soju?"

I looked at her in disbelief and shook my head, "No way. We can't drink when there's a child in the house."

"Just one?" she asked and I shook my head. "We can share."

"No, Mina," I said and I couldn't believe my eyes. Was she really pouting right now? This is a first! She's so damn cute, but I can't think like that right now. "We can't have alcohol if we're going to be watching Hyeri. I don't care if it's one drink or if we're sharing it, we can't drink."

"Fine," she continued to pout and I felt my heart race. Gah, she's too adorable! "Well, I'll be ordering it."

I nodded and she called the restaurant, ordering four different kinds of chicken. I know we're not going to finish it all, but that's okay. We could always give the leftovers to Haerin and my mother. 

Once she was done, we sat in silence once again, but this time it wasn't as awkward as it was earlier. She was playing on her phone while I played with my fingers; I didn't have my phone on me. 

I looked at the clock on the wall and it's been 30 minutes since Hyeri was put down for her nap. Noona told us she sleeps for an hour, so that meant another 30 minutes of waiting. Our food was to be delivered in 15 minutes too. 

I sat there for a few more minutes, then decided to check up on Hyeri. I got up and started walking. 

"Where are you going?" Mina asked once I passed her. 

"Checking up on Hyeri," I answered and she got up too. 

"Let me come with you," she said and I felt a thump against my chest. It's not like I'm traveling the world or anything, I'm just going to her bedroom which is literally down the hallway and yet she still wanted to come with me. 

"That's fine," I said and we both walked to Hyeri's bedroom. The door was cracked opened and we peeked in. She was still fast asleep and it automatically put a smile on my face. 

"She's sleeping so peacefully," Mina softly said and I looked down at her. She was softly smiling to herself and I couldn't help but just capture this moment with my eyes. It is rare to see Mina smiling, but she's been doing it more and I want to make sure I capture every second of it. 

Just then, she looked up at me and her smile slowly faded. 

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked. She didn't look annoyed when she stopped smiling and asked me that question. 

I leaned forward and gently placed my forehead against hers. 

"Something beautiful caught my eyes and I just had to look," I said in a low voice and I heard a tiny gasp escape her lips. She didn't pull away and our eyes were locked onto one another. This wasn't good...it was quite troubling to be looking into each other's eyes for so long. 

Why? 

Because I wanted to hold her...I wanted to kiss her, but I knew I had to hold back. 

I pulled away and felt my face flush, so I turned the other way not wanting her to see my face right now. 

"Let's leave her to sleep," I quietly said and walked away. Usually, she'd follow, but she didn't. "Mina?"

"You go ahead," she said and just stood where I left her. I wasn't dumb...I knew she was in shock after what I just did. She needed time alone to collect herself, so I walked back into the living room. 

I sat on the couch and leaned back, staring up at the ceiling. She didn't pull away this time...what does that mean? My heart raced and my face was hot to my ears. The one who needed to think clearly was me. 

After that, the two of us didn't look at one another or talk with each other again. Even when the food arrived, we ate in silence. We glanced at each other here and there, but it went back to being awkward. 

Hyeri should be waking up soon too, so I had to prepare myself in case she decided to cry while looking for noona. 

"Beer would've been nice with this," Mina sighed as she ate her drumstick. I had to agree, it would've been nice to have a sip of alcohol, but we couldn't. 

I finished up my last piece of chicken when I heard someone walking. I froze and blinked my eyes. 

"What's wrong?" Mina asked, noticing my weird behavior. 

"Did you hear someone walking?" I asked and she shook her head. I furrowed my brows and tilted my head. "I swear I heard someone."

It must've been my imagination, but when I tried to eat again, I heard a cough. Mina did too as we both looked at each other, then turned around to see Hyeri walking to us while rubbing her eyes. 

"Umma?" she said with a groggy voice. I panicked and looked at Mina. 

"I hope she doesn't cry," she mouthed. 

"Me too," I whispered and set the food aside, wiping my hands on a wet wipe. 

"Hey, Hyeri," I cautiously said, slowly and carefully getting out of the chair. "Did you have a good sleep?"

She looked at me and froze. 

"Umma," she said with a shaky voice and I knew any second now she'd start crying. 

"Uhm...noona went to the store and she'll be back soon," I said with an awkward smile and approached her. She backed away and looked past me to Mina, then ran to her. 

I watched and was shocked to see Hyeri clinging onto Mina. 

"Did you sleep well?" Mina asked and picked her up onto her lap. She nodded and snuggled up against Mina's chest. 

Damn was I jealous of Hyeri, but nevermind that. Why does she like Mina more than me? She didn't put in any effort to get close to Hyeri and yet she was chosen over me. I'm the one related to her, but at least she wasn't crying for noona. 

"Are you hungry?" Mina asked her and she nodded, so Mina began feeding her. I joined them at the table, sitting across them and just watched. 

I stared at them and they completely ignored my existence. They ate among themselves and talked to one another, like do I really not exist to them?

"Hey, aren't you guys forgetting someone else is here?" I muttered and Mina gave me a quick glance before turning her attention back to Hyeri. "Are you both really going to ignore me?"

No response. 

I pouted and crossed my arms over the table, resting my chin on top of my arms. 

"Show me some love too," I mumbled and sighed.

Minutes later, the two finished eating and I cleaned up after them while they watched Disney films on the living room. How did I even become a maid for them? 

"Hey, Baekhyun?" I heard Mina's voice. 

"What's up?" I replied while finishing up the dishes. 

"Bring me a glass of water when you're done," she said and I sighed. Would I dare tell her to grab it herself? Like hell I would. 

Once I finished, I filled up a glass of water and walked out to join them while handing Mina the cup. She grabbed it without saying thank you...typical. At least she's learned how to say sorry. 

I don't know how long we stayed inside for, but we've already gone through 3 movies. I felt like Mina and Hyeri didn't even blink their eyes. They didn't move from their seats either, I was the one who had to replace the movies. 

Sitting all day like this wasn't healthy, so I nudged Mina and asked, "Wanna go out and do something with Hyeri?"

"Nope," she immediately said. 

"Why?" I asked and twisted my body to her, almost cuddling her. 

"Because you'll be going with us. I don't want to go anywhere with you," she flatly said. "I wouldn't mind going somewhere with just Hyeri."

I frowned and said, "Why are you always so mean to me? Don't you want to me with me too?"

"I see you everyday," she said as she looked at me. "I'm kind of tired of seeing you."

" for you doesn't it cause you're to marry me soon," I snickered and she rolled her eyes. "C'mon, let's go out somewhere."

"And where would that be? You don't even know the area," she said and I pulled out my phone. 

"Doesn't mean I can't navigate myself around the area," I grinned and searched places to go; a place kid friendly. There were two options: the zoo or an aquarium. 

I showed Mina the options and she wanted to go to the aquarium, so we changed Hyeri and packed up a bag for her. It took longer than usual to get ready because we didn't know what Hyeri needed or where her things were, but we eventually got everything packed. The only problem was putting in the booster seat, like how the hell do you do it? 

"We're going to be here all day," Mina sighed as she had Hyeri in her arms. I frowned as I tried to figure how to keep the booster seat from moving around. She let out another sigh and kicked me with her foot. 

"Move," she said and set Hyeri down. She lightly pushed me to the side and pulled out her phone, looking up how to do it through YouTube. Technology has been really useful today. 

Within minutes, she was able to properly put in the booster seat and she put Hyeri in, seat belting her. She gave me a look that said, "that wasn't so hard was it?"

"Don't give me that look and just get in," I said, embarrassed, and she rolled her eyes. We both got in the car and finally drove off to the aquarium.