Dreiundzwanzig

Be Mine, Lily Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dreiundzwangzig

 

“This isn’t working, Chanyeol.”

It had been two consecutive days since I’ve tried to be annoying and shallow in front of Jongin. I’ve done every possible thing that I could think of, yet it seemed as if Jongin wasn’t affected by my actions.

I’ve broken I don’t know how many plates, cried and whined I have no idea how many times, and I’ve even slapped Jongin across the face. Twice.

But no matter what I did, Jongin’s only response would be to smile at me. It was as if he had gotten a personality change along with me, and I was starting to wonder if I really have to burn the house down before any signs of irritation would show on his face.

So when Chanyeol showed up at Jongin’s penthouse again today to check up on the progress, I couldn’t help but to question his supposedly ‘perfect plan’.

Chanyeol didn’t seem too affected though as I pointed out Jongin’s calm response to all this, and he let out a knowing sigh as he leaned against the kitchen bench.

“As expected of my brother,” An amused smirk followed soon after, “I daresay he knows we’re trying to turn him off. Judging at his personality, he’s probably fighting you back BY acting nonchalant and careless.”

“Then…what do we do?” My voice came out urgent and harsh as my fists clenched with frustration, “We’re running out of time! I’m going on a trip with Jongin in a few days, and the marriage date is drawing near. Don’t just smirk! Please, Chanyeol. Get me out of here.”

Chanyeol frowned a little at my little outburst, and he pushed himself off the table as he eyed me up and down distastefully.  

“Woah, calm down missy.” Chanyeol seemed a little offended, “Why are you so desperate?”

I bit my lips as frustrated tears drew near my eyes.

“You have no idea how suffocating it is.” I muttered unhappily, “I’ll die if I have to marry this guy forever.”

Chanyeol stared at me wordlessly as the more I felt sorry for myself, the more tears gathered around the brim of my eyes, and I sniffed before using the edge of the sleeve to wipe the tears away.

Finally, Chanyeol spoke.

“Yoo Nari,” Chanyeol sounded suspiciously serious, “How far are you willing to go in order to leave Jongin?”

“I’ll do anything.” My answer was almost immediate, and Chanyeol seemed surprised at the determination in my voice before he shifted position so he was completely facing me.

“Listen to me carefully, Nari.” Chanyeol’s eyes were dead set on me, “There is a way for Jongin to go completely berserk.”

Hope surged in my chest as I awaited eagerly for the ‘thing’ that would cause Jongin anger.

“You see, Jongin’s mother left my father for another man.” Chanyeol spoke slowly, “So Jongin’s kind of really sensitive about…well, affairs.”

I gulped nervously as suddenly, I understood what Chanyeol wanted me to do. Yet I asked anyway.

“So what do you want me to do?”

“Act like you really love Jongin for the next few weeks,” Chanyeol stared straight into my eyes, “Then, a few days before the wedding, have an affair with me.”

“W-With you?” I bit my lips, “affair as in-“

“-As in . But don’t worry, we won’t go all the way, just enough for Jongin to get mad.”

My heart pounding nervously, I glanced down at the floor.

“But…what if Jongin gets so mad he…he hurts my family?” My voice came out as a tiny whisper.

“Maybe he will, maybe he won’t.” Chanyeol shrugged, “This whole thing is risky yes, but I asked you before. How far are you willing to go? Are you selfish enough to do this, Nari?”

If it was the old Yoo Nari, then I would’ve immediately rejected the offer. Because I would’ve wanted to be the hero and protect my family.

But after hours and hours, days and days of continuous suffocation under Jongin’s iron fist, I was so worn out. At one point, I had given up on life altogether, and was readying myself for a horrific future ahead of me. At that time, I thought it was my duty to protect my loved ones.

But after Chanyeol appeared, even though it’s been a mere few days, I was suddenly given hope. Because I was so tired, because I was so scared, because I was so suffocated, the idea of escape and freedom seemed so sweet and tempting.

So sweet and tempting that the idea of being free overtook my desires so much I suddenly didn’t care anymore.

I would be selfish.

It was ironic yes, I got together with Jongin in order to protect my family, but now I was putting my family to risk in order to protect myself.

Why did I even bother sacrificing myself and going through this road of pain if it had come to this? But what was done, was done.

I’ve had enough.

Looking straight back into Chanyeol’s eyes, I bit my lips excitedly.

“Yes,” My voice came out so hard and cold that it surprised even myself, “I am selfish enough to do this.”

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter