Pain

EXO SERIES: Byun Baekhyun's Heart's Desire [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

>>BAEKHYUNS POV<<

"Goodbye, Baekhyun." Mi Kyung lowered her gaze and walked out of my bedroom, leaving with her guardian. The door snapped shut and I was alone. I had not thought her words would make me think about everything one more time. To be honest, I was shocked about the engagement news, but I didn't confront my parents. I let them be. I wanted to give Chae Won a second chance because I thought we could start all over again, forget about what happened. Turned out I was naive. 

However, I was aware of my fiancee getting paid to be engaged to me. I did not blame my parents, I blamed her. From another point of view, my parents only chose Kwon Chae Won because they knew we dated. They never knew I broke up with her, so they thought it might be a good opportunity to choose Chae Won. Which is a big mistake, I do realize now.

Slowly, I walked into the living room to look for my parents. My mother was doing the dishes in the kitchen, her back facing me. I approached her, wanting to know where my father was right now. 

"Your father is currently in his office. He is working on the cooperation with the Wanguk Group. It may interest you, too." Eomma responded with a smile and turned around. "Where is Mi Kyung? I only saw heard the door so I guess she left. What did you two talk about?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's not that important." I said before heading to my father's office. For a second, I was hesitating because I thought maybe I shouldn't talk to him. I carefully opened the door and entered. Seeing me, my father smiled and was asking me about Mi Kyung as well. 

"I am glad she came and you two seem to be friends. It will make it easier for the cooperation. You will work together one day after all." Appa mentioned and pointed on the chair. "Take a seat. What do you want to talk about, Baekhyun?" 

I cleared my throat and sat down. Now or never. Looking up, I saw the warm smile on my father's face. My parents did care about me, but they were strict and educated me well. If I had something to say, I should be honest. If not, it might be too late one day. 

"I do not wish to marry Kwon Chae Won, abeoji. Please cancel the engagement." I said directly and avoided any eye contact. He might have a sudden mood change and yell at me. However, he was surprisingly calm. My father clasped his hands and leaned back on his chair. 

"You tell me to cancel it? What happened between Chae Won and you? Did you fight and is she mad at you? Go apologize then, Baekhyun." My father replied after a few seconds of silence only. He got up slowly and crossed his arms. "You should be glad there were not any reporters and many guests on the engagement party. News have not been released, hardly anybody knows about it." Abeoji began and looked out of the window. He turned his head and met my eyes.

"What is the reason for your sudden change of mind? Kwon Chae Won and you even dated before that. Don't you feel relieved that it's not a stranger as your fiancee?" Abeoji then questioned me. If it was a stranger, I would still have the chance to get to know to that person and maybe develop feelings, but Kwon Chae Won could never be my wife. In general, I did not prefer arranged marriages.

I shook my head denying his question. "Hyung proposed to his longtime girlfriend, there was no need to arrange a marriage. Hyung is the respective heir anyway, so why can't I date and marry someone I chose? I broke up with Kwon Chae Won for a reason, I can't get married to her." 

Abeoji let out a deep sigh. "I spent a lot of money on her for this engagement." I never asked him to make Kwon Chae Won my fiancee. He could've asked me at least. "If it's not Kwon Chae Won, who is it then? You had a lot of freedom, Baekhyun. You were barely at home, always playing with your school friends and gaming. I never stopped you. I want to make sure that you can live carefree later on. Tell me, Baekhyun, what if you cancel the engagement?" 

"Please give me some time, abeoji. I promise to get engaged to a woman one day, but not now. I am in my last year of high school, I would like to attend college either." I explained getting up from the chair. "I am not asking for a lot, abeoji." 

"Remember that if you still have not found someone even after you graduate from college, you are definitely going to get married to Kwon Chae Won. She is not my first choice, but what else can I do? It's hard to find loyal and good people. I will give you time just as you asked me. I will cancel the engagement. These are the only things I will do, Baekhyun." Abeoji went back to his seat and had a serous expression on his face. Does he think that love comes with a time limit? It just happens. By a coincidence.

I walked into my bedroom after our conversation. It wasn't difficult to cancel the engagement, though. Abeoji made a demand and I would fulfil that. This was more complicated than I thought. I recalled a conversation with Kyungsoo and Jong Dae a while ago. They questioned me things like if I believed in fate and this stuff. We did not share the same opinion. I still did not believe in fate, in love at first sight. I needed to get close to a person first before falling in love. With Kwon Chae Won it was different though. Maybe it was merely her appearance and the thought that I should protect her since she was younger.

"Aish." I mumbled in disbelief and sat down on my bed. I'm going crazy. I didn't care about Kwon Chae Won's reaction, I just needed to get out of this place. I had to talk to someone. Taking out my phone, I dialed the numbers of my school friends but none of them did bother to pick up. I forgot about the time difference. "This can't be real." 

I immediately got up to look for my mother again. "Eomma, I'll fly back to Korea tomorrow." I said determined and checked the next flight to Seoul on the internet. I didn't want to stay here any longer. I was here alone either aside from my family. Also, I missed my friends. 

My mother seemed confused about my statement. "Korea? We have a holiday here, though. Don't you like it here?" 

"I do like it, but I have business to do at home." Of course my mother knew I would return to Korea to play with my friends but she understood me either. "Please tell abeoji that I enjoyed our stay here. I will pack my things now." I smiled at my mother before preparing to leave tomorrow. I already booked my flight ticket. 

I stood on my balcony and tried to enjoy the view. I was thinking too much. "Being an heir is no fun." I mumbled to myself and rested my head on my arms. Mi Kyung's words kept lingering in my though. I would be smiling when I was with Kwon Chae Won, but I couldn't remember having felt a fluttering feeling in my chest. Must be a nice feeling, right?

It was early in the morning when I woke up. I needed to drive to the airport as soon as possible. I didn't know about the time difference but I would likely be jet-lagged when arriving home. I took my suitcase and my passport before exiting the house. On the verge of calling a taxi, I was stopped by an employee of my parents' company. Seriously? 

"I was told to drive you to the airport, Sir." The man explained and opened the car door for me. 

"Can't you just leave the car to me? I am an adult, I can drive too." I replied and blamed myself for telling my parents I would fly back. I could've left without a word, too. "I can take a taxi." 

"I was told to accompany you to Korea." The man continued, avoiding my co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter