Happiness

EXO SERIES: Byun Baekhyun's Heart's Desire [EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi everyone! ^^ This is a really long chapter! When finishing this chapter, is it MiJoon or MiHyun for you? ^^

---

>>BAEKHYUN'S POV<<

I was walking around town to get some fresh air when I got a call from my father. My day consisted of only resting at home and doing nothing to be honest.  "What marriage are you talking about? I'm not getting married at the age of nineteen." 

"Baekhyun, I am serious about this. Your mother and I are going to lead the company until we die, but we still wish for you to get married soon because we are not getting any younger. Look at your brother, he is engaged. Baekhyun, it's not like you're getting married, it's only an engagement." My father explained causing me to get more upset. I understood what he meant but I was against it. 

"Doesn't the company mean anything to you?" He added and I rolled my eyes because of this. The company was everything to family, they achieved it and I was able to live like this. 

"Hyung is the heir anyway and he proposed to sister-in-law without any arrangements." Although Baekbeom hyung and his fiancee weren't married yet, I already saw her as my sister-in-law. Hyung really loved her, otherwise he wouldn't plan on marrying her. "Hyung found a woman on his own, so what does this have to do with me?" 

"Your brother is not the only heir of Hwangje Group, Baekhyun. I only wanted to talk to you before I'd arrange the engagement. Since you don't get to chose your fiancee, I thought it might be the best to chose her and I am sure that you'll be thankful." My father responded. I didn't wish to hear anything about this whole engagement thing anymore, so I excused myself and hung up. If my father intended to introduce me to this girl, my so-called soon-to-be fiancee, I would simply run away. He couldn't be serious about it.

My gaze fell on my watch. I still had some time left before I needed to drive to the restaurant. I decided to go for a walk outside, even though I didn't know this part of the city. I would somehow find my way back and show up to the dinner on time. 

Later at night, I wore my black suit and stood in front of the mirror in my room. If only my friends were here, if only I wasn't born as an heir, next to Baekbeom hyung. I haven't seen him for a long time, I was wondering how he was doing. Funny how we only got to meet each other again because of a ridiculous business dinner. 

On days like this, I would miss the people close to me. My friends from high school and even Mi Kyung. She was probably at home, resting. I was curious, but I didn't want to see her at this moment. I was still upset about this morning when my father called. 

Now that I was ready to leave, I walked downstairs and was about to open the door as I heard my name. 

"Oppa!" Someone shouted from the second floor. I looked up and spotted Kwon Chae Won standing on the staircase. My eyebrows slowly furrowed and I turned around to face her. Kwon Chae Won walked towards me and had a smile on her face. 

"What are you doing here? Especially here in my house?" I wanted to know and looked at her suspiciously from head to toe. "How did you get in here?" 

"Aren't you happy to see me after such a long time?" Chae Won pouted and smiled the same smile she used to have during our months of being in a relationship. "I wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to break up and cut off the contact, I was just so confused at this time that I didn't know what I was doing. Please forgive me, oppa." 

I'm not a bad person, so I will forgive her in fact. I might regret it, one day. There is always some place for an apology, though.

"This doesn't mean that we are getting back together, Chae Won. Just to clarify it, I do forgive you but I can't start dating you again right now." I had to recover from the pain she caused. To be honest, I didn't manage to move on after we broke up.

"Didn't your father tell you?" Chae Won raised her eyebrows in surprise and linked her arm with mine. "I wanted to wait a bit but I, too, couldn't hold back any longer. I am so happy that we are getting married." 

My eyes immediately widened and I pulled my arm away. "What? Getting married?" My father found a potential wife for me that fast? And then Kwon Chae Won? I knew I thought Chae Won and I could start over again after she texted me, but I didn't expect an engagement. 

"Abeonim decided to get us engaged because he thought I'd be a good wife to you and a good daughter-in-law for your family. I am your first love, so you will never forget me. There's no need to forget me anyway, because I will be the first and the last person you'll like." Kwon Chae Won smiled and placed a kiss on my cheek. "You should go to the business dinner now otherwise you'll be late. See you then, oppa." 

I couldn't help my feelings. Kwon Chae Won was the first person I liked, but would surely not be the last person. Well, this marriage thing was getting serious now. This was unfair. Hyung was clearly luckier than I was.

Arriving at the restaurant, I paused for a second to fix my suit and then headed towards my family. I apologized for my tardiness and forced a smile to make a good impression. I still couldn't recover from what happened today.

"My second son, Byun Baekhyun." Abeoji introduced me to them before I looked up. "This is the Kim family of the Wanguk Group and the two daughters." I froze when I saw Mi Kyung standing in front of me, just as shocked and surprised as me.

I looked at her from head to toe. Mi Kyung's hair was so soft brown, not dark but simply pretty in any light. It fell long and loose over her shoulder. She wore a white dress which fitted perfectly on her and made her look innocent and cute. Her eyes were dark brown, but they could shine brightly enough in the shadows and in the darkness. They stared back at me. 

"Please take a seat." Mr. Kim said and we sat down. I couldn't move until Baekbeom hyung gave me the menu to chose something to order. Too many things occured today, I only wanted to get some sleep. At a hotel or something, where no one was able to find me.

The moment I looked up, my eyes met with Mi Kyung's. She looked away first and put on a serious face. I guessed I should act like this either. Private life and business life are two different matters.

"My son, Baekhyun, is getting married soon either. You are going to be invited to their engagement of course." My father spoke to Mr. Kim and I stopped chewing my food for a second. I was hoping he wouldn't bring up this subject at the dinner. I glanced at Mi Kyung who was meeting my eyes again. She continued eating and pretended to not have heard anything. 

I am getting married. "I encountered Kwon Chae Won today, abeoji." I am getting married. 

No matter how often I told myself that I was not getting married, the situation wouldn't change. My parents wouldn't listen to me, so I had to give in and get married. I had to respect their decision. My parents raised me and my brother, I had to obey.

"You did?" Mi Kyung asked me all of a sudden. She attracted the attention of everyone at the table. Her parents and my parents were curious if we knew each other and how this happened. Mi Kyung had answered faster than I expected. I was only the surveyor at her school, after all. "Good for you then." 

"Mi Kyung, you should think about marriage soon as well." Mi Kyung's mother said and I almost choked on my food, but I controlled it. "There is not even a year left until you graduate. And it'd be nice to have a son-in-law." 

"I will get married, but not now." Mi Kyung responded and excused herself. She had to go the restroom. I watched Mi Kyung going away and turned back to the dinner.

"Please excuse me, too." I said politely and got up to follow her. If I knew we would meet under these circumstances, I would've reconsidered attending the dinner tonight. "Mi Kyung-ah, wait!" 

"Mi Kyung-ssi for you. I am here for business and so are you. But right now, we have nothing to talk about it." I was surprised about this side of her. She would push me away when I and I found it cute. This current setting didn't include my teasing.

"Mi Kyung-ssi, then. I know you are also surprised to meet me here, but--" I tried to explain it to Mi Kyung, but she cut me off first.

"What is there to explain? Why do you have to justify yourself?" Mi Kyung questioned me and narrowed her eyebrows slightly at me. "You know I thought you broke up with Kwon Chae Won because it was one-sided and now you are engaged all of a sudden. It's surprising but not my business. If I am right you were the right one who pushed me away first." Right, I didn't even say goodbye to her properly. 

"It's a misunderstanding." I said still trying to explain, but Mi Kyung shook her head at me and disappeared in the room. I let out a heavy sigh and leaned against the wall next to me. Getting married now, congratulations Baekhyun.

I slapped my face to make sure I didn't dream that. It was real, unfortunately. I fixed my hair and adjusted my bow tie before going back to the table. I recalled our last encounter which was after Mi Kyung's midterms at school. I came to say goodbye, but didn't even do a handshake with her. I, too, had mixed feelings about this. At first, I wanted to be casual, show her that it wasn't hard for me or anything. The next minute, I was a coward and acted like I didn't care. I didn't know about our label, but I hurt Mi Kyung. I did not even notice that. 

"My first son, Byun Baekbeom is the heir of Hwangje Group and so is my second son. They are both engaged now and they will both take over the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter